Thailand Declares War On Pirates

webfact

Thailand Declares War on Pirates

THAILAND TRAVEL NEWS: Those planning on traveling to Thailand over the Christmas/New Year period and stocking up on counterfeit designer goods to sell back home to offset the cost of their holiday might well end up being very disappointed.

In preparation for the coming festive season the government has announced a major crackdown on counterfeit goods, specifically identifying a number of "red zones" where knockoff copies are known to be rampant.

The areas include Klong Thom market, Saphan Lek, Ban Mor, Pantip Plaza, MBK, Patpong and Silom roads and Sukhumvit Road from Soi 3 to Soi 19 in Bangkok, as well as specific areas in Chiang Mai, Phuket, Surat Thani, Chon Buri, Songkhla, Krabi and Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The government yesterday ordered the Intellectual Property Department (IPD) and the National Police Office to intensify their operations, with the IPD launching a 1368 hotline for members of the public to call with information on intellectual property rights infringements.

In the first nine months of 2009 Thai authorities have instigated legal proceedings against 6,418 people for violating intellectual property rights and 4.56 million knockoff products were confiscated. In the same period of 2008 there were 4,124 cases and 2.79 million items confiscated.

Source: Thailand Travel Online

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]2009/12/24

If successful (which I doubt) the real losers will be Thai teenagers who could never afford the ridiculous prices that the big labels charge for goods they produce using cheap labour. As far as I am concerned if piracy puts these companies out of business then it is a victory for common sense!

Arrr, matey, shiver me timbers...

Wrong topic?

The counterfeits they are targeting will be those with a local presence, as someone with direct ties to the community stands to gain from the crackdown [and would be pushing for it].

Oh, and 'Intellectual property' isn't.

Well Done ABISET

You taxed Gas to the Hilt - its more expensive than australia now...

A round of applause to sieze all of the coppied goods (only to sell in back to the traders again) hope it pays for your yellow shirts gambling trips this new year....

<deleted>!

Looks like I'll have to sell my parrot, but no worries I can certainly fit in with the other main professions of the authorities such as bandit and highywayman. :)

:D Your eye patch will always give you away :D

Not to mention the hook arm and the limp (wrist) :D