Toyota Fortuner Owners

Has anyone had success in getting an English language handbook for their Toyota FORTUNER?

My (selling) agent says they are not available, my (service) agent says they can be obtained for 2000 THB.

This car will be selling in Aussie so you can bet that the driver's handbook is available in English.

I have worked out most of the items but the security system is unclear and I need confirmation of the service intervals due to conflicting statements from the service agent.

What do you think of the car. I have the auto petrol version and I like it. Very quiet at speed due to high gearing but wont win prizes for power. Suits me and the wife fine. I have used all the seat combinations practically and had seven up a few times. Real good value provided Taksin doesn't keep increasing the gas prices!

Soft footed I'm getting 9.5 km/l. What about you? That's split of town & country driving.

Pete

I am on the wating list ( at least 5 months)for 3 litre diesel I can have a gasoline one today if I want but I don't. I have been told the service interval after the initial 1,000 km is 10,000 km double what it is for my Mitsubishi.

Talking of which I got a English language service manual from Australia supplied free of charge by the Mitsubishi dealer.

Yes, the diesel version should sell well. I'm retired so daily commutes is not a problem hence I elected to take the petrol version.

I have tried e-mailing Toyota customer support and their car owners club but no response. i think that I read in one of these forums that someone had got an English Manual out of them for free. i don't mind paying but I think 2000 THB is steep (probably the agent adding his cut!)

Yes, the 1000 is first event (oil & filter change, tighten head bolts etc). The agent says next is 10k but 15k features elsewhere. Maybe the difference is gas/diesel versions.

Mine was delivered with a bouncy ride and I found the tyre pressures at 45 psi instead of 30 psi. i complained to the agent and he said it was better to have the higher pressures because it gave better mileage!. Sad but true.

Peter

I am on the wating list ( at least 5 months)for 3 litre diesel I can have a gasoline one today if I want but I don't. I have been told the service interval after the initial 1,000 km is 10,000 km double what it is for my Mitsubishi.

Talking of which I got a English language service manual from Australia supplied free of charge by the Mitsubishi dealer.

Got mine,petrol,version, about 3 weeks ago.

I insist of obtaining an english manual,that arrived last monday.

Cost would be THB 700,but I got for free thanks to good relations between my wife and the local manager (old college friends).

Agree with the facts as described by you concerning petrol usage/noice.After my 1000 km service I need to return at 10.000 km.

Great car. :o

If you are buying the car new then insist on the manual in English.

Otherwise you will have to buy it, but it should be available.

I had no trouble getting one for my Sport Rider.

Why is diesel version Fortuner B100,000 more expensive than petrol version when the higher excise tax (35%?) applies to a petrol passenger car with over 2.3L displacement and engine horsepower about the same?

I've been denied Internet access for a few days (Bill Gates and I never did get on!) so thanks for the response. Seven hundred baht sounds reasonable to me and I will rattle the agent again.

What are the quoted servive intervals after 1000, 10,000 kms?

I did ask for an English language manual when the car was ordered but also wanted a Thai language version. The agent said the English version was not available. My (newly opened) agent whom I have used for service says it's available at 2000 baht.

Toyota website contacts including the 'club' do not respond.

I like the car very much. A couple of minor gripes are that the 'climate control' LCD display is difficult to read in daylight and I would have liked an indicator lamp on the external/internal air switch button so that you can see which mode it is in. Also, turning down the light level of the instrument display at night using the dimmer control means that when you start up in daylight the instruments are to dim and you have to turn up the brilliance again. I think that two preset levels should be built in, one for day and one for night and then the dimmer used to adjust to personal preference.

Some writers think that the gas version is to low on HP/BHP but even with 4 up mine accelerates well for overtaking.

Anyone tried it at proper 'off roading' yet? Would need a set of nobblies for serious work. Anyway, if I had wanted an offoad version I would have opted for the diesel manual version. I have covered a lot of klicks on dry unpaved and rough hilly ground in H lock and L lock as required (you have to stop to engage L lock) without problem although the pax get scared at high angles!

Peter

Got mine,petrol,version, about 3 weeks ago.

I insist of obtaining an english manual,that arrived last monday.

Cost would be THB 700,but I got for free thanks to good relations between my wife and the local manager (old college friends).

Agree with the facts as described by you concerning petrol usage/noice.After my 1000 km service I need to return at 10.000 km.

Great car. :o

• 3 weeks later...

I was told in Phuket that you can have the english manual for free when you buy the Fortuna. The only problem is that the wait for a 3lt diesel is 7 months :o

I noticed someone posted about the car being a bouncy ride, has anyone else noticed this?

Also if I buy one and change my wheels, will I lose the warranty? I think the car would look better with two inches extra height and there is plenty of room between the wheelarch and the current wheels to do this - what do you think.

I wish they had a few more colours as well, gay blue, crap grey, puss cream, white and black dont do much for me :D Midnight blue would be lovely.

Does anyone contemplate use for the third seat? I am thinking of having it removed on delivery so my storage is more spacious and the airconditioning ducts in the back are not blocked.

When the government stops subsidizing diesel fuel, will it eventually reach the same cost level as gasoline?

Is the small engine in the Fortuner adaptable by Toyota to a hybrid version? Is the weight of the Fortuner to much for effective hybrid application?

I only put them on the floor which gives me a floorspace in two levels.

Between the higher level(the folded chairs) and the lower level is a nioce space to put the small shopping items.I also have the luckage net, to prevent things fallen out while openeing the back door.

I have 1700 km on the clock with an average of 36 km speed,which show you that I make a lot of small trips.

Fuel consumption at 9,6km/lt

Diesel makes much more noice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a petrol Fortuner in Phuket; when I first tried to buy the dealer gave me BS about 3-8 month waiting lists. I told him I'd take any colour and engine etc and got the car about 2 weeks later (Bronze colour with petrol engine)

The dealer (Big Toyota dealership next to BMW and Land Rover near Phuket town) has told me that they have ordered English lang. manuals. As soon as I get one I'll scan it and put it up online.

FWIW I think the Fortuner is a pretty good vehicle so far for the price (my last car was a 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE which I *loved*) on-road handling is polite, haven't really pushed it off-road yet, but for the price it holds up quite well against a Rangie.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Fortuner 2.7L on 24 June in Chiangmai, and I ask for an english manual, the salesperson told me that they do have the english version and could be photocopied for a fee. I paid 280baht, good price is it? :o

The car is excellent.

Pichai

Is the petrol engined car Quiet and smooth?

I was in a diesel Fortuner and was able to start it, but no test drive, it seemed pretty quiet compared with my Toyota tiger.

I must admit to being very tempted by a Fortuner, or Vigo 4 door 4WD, the Fortuner I was sitting in was very nicely appointed, the Petrol version is 100,000 baht cheaper also I think.

Do you have any performance figures for the Fortuner.

Acceleration, Top end , economy etc ?

Thanks.

Is the petrol engined car Quiet and smooth?

I was in a diesel Fortuner and was able to start it, but no test drive, it seemed pretty quiet compared with my Toyota tiger.

I must admit to being very tempted by a Fortuner, or Vigo 4 door 4WD, the Fortuner I was sitting in was very nicely appointed,  the Petrol version is 100,000 baht cheaper also I think.

Do you have any performance figures for the Fortuner.

Acceleration, Top end , economy etc ?

Thanks.

I have the 3.0L diesel Fortuner.

When I bought the car in April it was 999,999 Baht about 200,000 Baht cheaper than the petrol version.

I choose the diesel solely because I like driving a manual car.

I get about 10kms a litre.

I also got an english manual when the car was delivered just by asking for it.

It was free!!

I think it is a great car, I am very happy with it. :o

Heard from a dealer in Thonglor just last week that petrol Fortuner/Vigo production will be discontinued soon. Can anyone confirm this?

Also at this moment Vigo/Fortuner delivery lead time is 6 - 7 months wait whereas petrol Vigo/Fortuner delivery is 2 weeks to a month.

Does anyone contemplate use for the third seat?  I am thinking of having it removed on delivery so my storage is more spacious and the airconditioning ducts in the back are not blocked.

You could just remove the seat on the aircon side - leaving the other one. - It would still fold up, hooked onto the roof if you want the space...

I would wonder though what you want the aircon in the back for if you've got nobody sitting there?

When the government stops subsidizing diesel fuel, will it eventually reach the same cost level as gasoline?
No - Gasoline costs more... (except in the UK where the Diesel is more heavily taxed).
Is the small engine in the Fortuner adaptable by Toyota to a hybrid version?  Is the weight of the Fortuner to much for effective hybrid application?

Probably - but since Toyota isn't making them that way, I wouldn't like to think of the cost. If you want a hybrid SUV, the Ford Escape already exists as a hybrid (although I don't think sold in that form in Thailand).

Is the small engine in the Fortuner adaptable by Toyota to a hybrid version?  Is the weight of the Fortuner to much for effective hybrid application?

Probably - but since Toyota isn't making them that way, I wouldn't like to think of the cost. If you want a hybrid SUV, the Ford Escape already exists as a hybrid (although I don't think sold in that form in Thailand).

I doubt if Toyota will release hybrid version of any car built on pickup platfrom in the near future. I don't think it is a matter of power/weight ratio issue though. Toyota already makes hybrid versions of mini vans Estima and Alphard, SUV Kluger and Lexus RX300 in Japan (also Highlander Hybrid in US) , all of which are as heavy as Fortuner (if not heavier). I think I've seen hybrid version of Estima, Alphard and RX300 (or Toyota Harrier Hybrid as it's called in Japan) on roads and in showrooms imported by independent Thai distributor.

Yes, the diesel version should sell well. I'm retired so daily commutes is not a problem hence I elected to take the petrol version.

I have tried e-mailing Toyota customer support and their car owners club but no response. i think that I read in one of these forums that someone had got an English Manual out of them for free. i don't mind paying but I think 2000 THB is steep (probably the agent adding his cut!)

Yes, the 1000 is first event (oil & filter change, tighten head bolts etc). The agent says next is 10k but 15k features elsewhere. Maybe the difference is gas/diesel versions.

Mine was delivered with a bouncy ride and I found the tyre pressures at 45 psi instead of 30 psi. i complained to the agent and he said it was better to have the higher pressures because it gave better mileage!. Sad but true.

Peter

I'm getting my 3.0L Diesel Fortuner in mid-August, but I got the English Language Manual through my friend who has a Toyota Dealer friend. The Fortuner Manual Scheduled Service Chart says the first service is 10,000 kilometers - oil change. It says nothing about a 1,000 km service. I wonder why this isn't mentioned in the manual? :o

1000 km service!!

During my lifetime I have bought dozens of cars in several countries around the world.

Everywhere it is common to give a 1000 km service for FREE.

It is just a check up on the "bolds and screws" to see if everything is OK.

1000 km service!!

During my lifetime I have bought dozens of cars in several countries around the world.

Everywhere it is common to give a 1000 km service for FREE.

It is just a check up on the "bolds and screws" to see if everything is OK.

This is the 2nd new car for me, 1st in LOS.