Getting Married In Thailand

BIG SPUDS

If me and the GF decide to get married in thailand in the future (if the visa is unsuccessful)

We get married in kampheng phet - party at a hotel , monks blessing ect

a few questions as i know nothing :o

1. do the monks go to hotels for blessings

2. who officially marries us

3. what do i need to do before hand, what papers do i need.

4. after the marriage at the hotel (i presume this is when i get the marriage certificate) are we then officially married or do i take the papers somewhere else?

5. is there anything ive missed out

Its just an idea if the visa is refused, but would like to know the procedure.

thanks

In order spudsy.

1.They would'nt for my wedding.

2.I was blessed at the temple then married by a christian vicar in the hotel.

3.Nothing, its not a legal wedding.

4. Get an affirmation to marry from the british embassy, take it to one of the companies next to ploen chit BTS, pay and they will get it certified and translated.

Go to the local ampur office and register the marriage and they will issue you with the marriage certificate (1 each), then you can register your marriage with the brit embassy and it will show on record in the UK that you are married. NOT LEGALLY IN THE UK THOUGH, YOU HAVE TO BE WED THERE ALSO TO MAKE IT LEGAL IN ENGLAND.

Also spudsy, getting wed here won't guarantee you the visa me ole mate. (it should help though.) :o

Ok. Big Spuds. I'll help as best as i can.

Me and the missus went in February and got married.

1) Goto your embassy and get an Affirmation to Marry document.(takes a day or so)

2) Get this translated to Thai

3) Goto the department of..mmm Cultural affairs(i think? Someone correct me if i'm wrong) At KongSul. On Jang Wattana Rd.

4) Pay the money and wait a few days 400 baht(or pay a bit more and wait a couple of hours 800 baht.) Get the document

5) You can now marry. Goto the place where you can sign the papers. Get the gf to find out which one is closest.

6) Sign the paper and get the certificate. Well done! You are now legally married.

7) the wedding at the hotel is just for show. (we are doing it in October)

8) Dont know about the monk thing. But i think they will only come if its in the morning.

Best of luck mate.

1. You would normally provide lunch (before noon) for the monks at home or temple I believe (did not do myself but have been present when this was done). This is not a requirement for marriage.

2. You go together to a District Office and sign paperwork. This is the only act that is an offical marriage. Prior to this you, being foreign, have to obtain paper from your Embassy that you are single and of means to support a wife, have that notorized and then translated and then registered with the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to make it legal. You take that with you to the District Office and your passport. You may also need someone to act as interpreter for paperwork and witness (which normally someone in office can do).

3. See above. What you have to provide your Embassy in the way of proof you will have to ask them as it varies from country to country.

4. You are officialy married at the District Office and that is where you normally get the paperwork. You can, for a small fee and transportation, have an officer attend your hotel party and do the paperwork there if you so see fit.

5. The wife? :o

OK, here we go,

\ Do not get married in Thailand, unless you plan to live in Thailand. Getting married will not improve your chances for a succesful visa for your future bride.\

The e4asiest way to get her a visa is a fiance visa, and i believe that has to be initiated from your home country. Takes about six months. Your embassy can give you more information about the different types of visa's.

\Good Luck.

In order spudsy.

4. Get an affirmation to marry from the british embassy, take it to one of the companies next to ploen chit BTS, pay and they will get it certified and translated.

Go to the local ampur office and register the marriage and they will issue you with the marriage certificate (1 each), then you can register your marriage with the brit embassy and it will show on record in the UK that you are married. NOT LEGALLY IN THE UK THOUGH, YOU HAVE TO BE WED THERE ALSO TO MAKE IT LEGAL IN ENGLAND.

Also spudsy, getting wed here won't guarantee you the visa me ole mate. (it should help though.) :o

What's the legal background for your emphatic statement on legality in England?

I write this as it is not my experience.

In order spudsy.

What's the legal background for your emphatic statement on legality in England?

I write this as it is not my experience.

Because the embassy told me it would only mean i'm on record as being married but it is'nt recognised as a british marriage. ie not legal in britain. :D

A legal Thai wedding certificate will constitute a legal marriage also per the UK Authorities.

I've done the legal due diligence

NOT LEGALLY IN THE UK THOUGH, YOU HAVE TO BE WED THERE ALSO TO MAKE IT LEGAL IN ENGLAND.

not from what i've read on the Foreign Office website.

Edited by The_Moog

If you were told that you were told wrong. This is the quote from UK Embassy website in Bangkok as of five minutes ago:

The marriage will only be recognised under UK law if it is valid under Thai law.  For it to be valid in Thai law, the marriage must be registered with the Registrar at an Amphur Office (District Office).  A list of some Amphur offices in Bangkok and upcountry is attached. 

The Thai marriage certificate will be in Thai only. You may wish to commission a “sworn translation” of the marriage certificate from a translation bureau, so that you may use the document for legal purposes in the U.K. 

Consular Section can arrange for your marriage to be recorded in the U.K.; please ask us for further details if you wish us to do so.  This is not a legal obligation, it is for statistical purposes and if you lose a copy of your  certificate only. 

Above is for davethailand

Edited by lopburi3

Big Spuds,

I am giving you serious advice:

1. Beware of some of the advice given to you in this thread. A lot of it is cross-eyed, unqualified and incorrect.

2. Visit the Embassy and ask them for all their information. You must comply 100% with their requirements.

3. Seek professional qualified help for the translations and the official marriage. There are quite a few places around the Embassy that can provide this. Prices range from 1,000 Baht up to about 8,000 Baht.

4. Take the GF with you on these visits. Often minor misunderstandings can be quickly solved when you are both there.

The money spent will save you a lot of pain and heartache later.

My authority for writing this is, this is what I did. My wife and I are now living in the UK.

Best of luck and congratulations!

Big Spuds,

1. Beware of some of the advice given to you in this thread. A lot of it is cross-eyed, unqualified and incorrect.

2. Visit the Embassy and ask them for all their information. You must comply 100% with their requirements.

3. Seek professional qualified help for the translations and the official marriage. There are quite a few places around the Embassy that can provide this. Prices range from 1,000 Baht up to about 8,000 Baht.

4. Take the GF with you on these visits. Often minor misunderstandings can be quickly solved when you are both there.

My authority for writing this is, this is what I did. My wife and I are now living in the UK.

Maybe Tm. But the info i gave is 100% correct. it was only recently that i done this. Get the translation done near the Embassy for sure, But dont waste 1000+ Baht. Should be no more than 400 baht per A4 page. TM if you paid that amount. Mate you were done and a mug.IMHO.

Big Spuds,

Maybe Tm. But the info i gave is 100% correct. it was only recently that i done this. Get the translation done near the Embassy for sure, But dont waste 1000+ Baht. Should be no more than 400 baht per A4 page. TM if you paid that amount. Mate you were done and a mug.IMHO.

Read carefully, I wrote, " for the translations and the official marriage" - if you can do that for 400 Baht, maybe you should open an agency.

B.S. if and when you get the Visa (and I sincerely HOPE you do) why muck around.?

Get back over here to Blighty and go down to your he local registry office (assuming your are not into religon...anything)and do the deed.

Easy straightforward and all in the Queens Eng......

A few cheese sarnies and a bucketfull back at the gaff (for the lads)and thats it.

You will soon realise that when married to a Thai women you will never be far away from their way of life,their eating habbits (rice cooker on full time)their friends (get a loan from the bank..the telephone is in for a bashing)and their faith (and dont knock it)

A holiday in LOS is like a peek into a deep pool....having a Thai wife is TOTAL IMMERSION.........and it can be great. :D .......No need to rush into the culture...You will be living it....poo cha -cha. :o:D

Big Spuds,

Read carefully, I wrote, " for the translations and the official marriage" - if you can do that for 400 Baht, maybe you should open an agency.

Dont use agencies for something that is easy enough to do on your own.

The translations of the affirmation to marry should cost no more than 400 Baht per page. The taxi to the official office. No more than 150 baht. 400 baht for the stamp or 800 if you want it back in 2 hours. Taxi home(depending where you live. For me it was around 120 baht) The affirmation of marriage at the UK Embassy is around 2400 baht. When you get the documents back with the stamp. You can then get married. ie sign the paper. (we got ours done for free as it was Valentines) but the missus says its no more than 30 or 50 baht. You do the maths mate. Is it worth spending thousands on something you can do yourself. It really isnt difficult. Your gf can help a great deal with this.

The translations of the affirmation to marry should cost no more than 400 Baht per page. The taxi to the official office. No more than 150 baht. 400 baht for the stamp or 800 if you want it back in 2 hours. Taxi home(depending where you live. For me it was around 120 baht) The affirmation of marriage at the UK Embassy is around 2400 baht. When you get the documents back with the stamp. You can then get married. ie sign the paper. (we got ours done for free as it was Valentines) but the missus says its no more than 30 or 50 baht. You do the maths mate. Is it worth spending thousands on something you can do yourself. It really isnt difficult. Your gf can help a great deal with this.

Not wishing to sound patronising – but I’m sure I do…

Money was never a matter of consideration in what was one of the most important events of our life.

Doing everything correctly, according to Thai and especially British law, was our prime consideration.

You did it your way, and apparently you are satisfied.

I did things my way and am now sitting in the UK with my wife and son’s settlement visas.

You pays your money, you take your choice.

Not wishing to sound patronising – but I’m sure I do…

Money was never a matter of consideration in what was one of the most important events of our life.

Since i live in LOS and earn a Thai baht. Money was a consideration. But also its not hard to do on your own.

Doing everything correctly, according to Thai and especially British law, was our prime consideration.

So did i. My gf helped with this. I done my homework. Didn't just jump in 2 feet first.

You did it your way, and apparently you are satisfied.

I did things my way and am now sitting in the UK with my wife and son’s settlement visas.

Fair enough. Each to their own. But i think we should be giving Big Spuds options. i"m sure he wont want to spend thousands on baht when he can save alot more by doing it himself. I'm sure the gf would see it this way also. IMO. But we have given him 2 options. So its up to him at the end of the day.

You pays your money, you take your choice.

True. It is about individual choice. Good luck. Big Spuds i hope the advice from us can help you. Do let us know how you get on.

wow! quick huge response.

Thanks all. Like i said it was just a question just to find out what to do should i need to.

But the plan is to marry in the UK when she gets her visa.

Still waiting for the interview date to come through has been 5 working days now

:o

Well i was told wrong then, I'm sure i can live with that.

They told me i would be registered as married, but not classed as a true british marriage, they told me i would need to be wed in the UK for this. (this would register her as married in the UK)

At the end of the day i'm not bothered where or how its valid, i did it and i'm happy with it and i'm certainly not planning to live back in the UK. :o

Edited by davethailand