Thai Police Dupe Fugitives With Fake Prize Draw

churchill

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai police nabbed 14 suspected criminals after telling them they were winners of a lucky draw and arresting them when they showed up to collect their prizes.

The wanted men came out of hiding to pick up televisions and cash cheques they were told they had won when their phone or national identification numbers were picked out in a draw, said Pol. Lt-Gen. Krisada Pankongchoen, who masterminded the scam.

"We're happy with the result. We didn't expect anyone to fall for this," he told Reuters.

"They probably felt very stupid, especially those who were in hiding for months."

Police sent hundreds of congratulatory letters to the registered addresses of suspected criminals across Bangkok and the surrounding areas, among them rapists and thieves, Krisada said.

They waited at various locations in the city and pounced when 14 showed up expecting to receive their prizes.

"Many of them have been on our wanted list for some time and had probably thought the police were no longer pursuing them, so they weren't suspicious," he added.

reuterslogo.jpg

-- Reuters 25/12/09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/id...-44985120091225

Quote:

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai police nabbed 14 suspected criminals after telling them they were winners of a lucky draw and arresting them when they showed up to collect their prizes.

The wanted men came out of hiding to pick up televisions and cash cheques they were told they had won when their phone or national identification numbers were picked out in a draw, said Pol. Lt-Gen. Krisada Pankongchoen, who masterminded the scam.

"We're happy with the result. We didn't expect anyone to fall for this," he told Reuters.

Unquote.

:):D :D

If that was the case why mount such an operation? Mastermind my toot.

Good job by Thai cops, though not an original concept.

Now, if they could find ways to do certain types of undercover work which would uncover extortions and other sorts of rip-offs that affect farang and others.

Suggestions: get a farang (as an undercover agent) to act awkwardly at a place like King Power monopoly at the airport, and see if he get subsequently threatened by real or pseudo authorities there for shoplifting. That would be a cool sting operation.

Some personal friends of mine got extorted by pseudo authorities at a bus stop terminal at the Thai Lao border. My friends are semi-legal immigrants from Laos who had been residing and working in Thailand for decades. They have papers, but not full Thai citizenship, though their children do. They were approached at the bus station by 2 guys in tan colored uniforms with insignia (could be bought at any military supply store here) and told to produce sterling ID, they couldn't. The guys threatened to take them to jail (a bluff) unless they paid Bt.5,000 each. They couldn't. So the guys asked how much they had, and the victims were able to scrape together a couple thousand baht. The extortionists took it and left. There was a cop on the other side of the room, but he pretended like he didn't see anything.

So, it's not just white farang who get extorted under the sleepy gaze of Thai cops.

That would be a perfect scenario for setting up a sting operation.

There are others, including the jetski extortions at all tourist beaches, and the jewelry scam and others that target farang. Unfortunately, Thai cops are not eager to deputize farang to act as undercover jobs. Plus, Thais are not good at keeping secrets in such scenarios, so it's likely that 'the cat will get let out of the bag' - in other words, the cover might be blown due to agents not being able to maintain the ruse until the bad guys are 100% implicated and apprehended.

This tactic was and/or is used by nearly all police forces in major metropolitan cities all over the US to round up errant criminals. The success rate early on was quite high, especially versus the cost of sending out post cards, and then waiting at the ‘winner pick up point”.

Even after it came to light in the papers and television this was happening it was still used with success time after time. Eevidently the criminal element doesn't read or follow the news closely. :)

I think it's a great way, especially as it plays on the human greed factor; receiving "something for nothing". It works more times than it fails.

Many thanks for the humour folks. I laughed so much I nearly chocked.

Death by laughter. What a way to go! I would prefer that my final exit involves Miss World, a lot of strawberry jam and a chandelier.

Funny, I was guessing 'the Butler, 'the living-room' and 'the chandelier'.

It's lucky that the crooks are dumber than the cops here :)

Many hundreds of letters were sent out. They wanted to catch the most corrupt people in the country.

Only 14 replied and 13 were in BIB uniforms

( In case you are wondering about the fourteenth. he was an off duty officer and in plain clothes. ) :D