How Good Are The Newer Tot Internet 3mb To 12mb Speeds Working For You

Pib

"For you folks who are using on of TOT's 3MB to 12MB internet packages," how good (or not so good) is that service working for you? Do you get the advertised speed for in-country "and international" websites? Is the service reliability good in terms of almost always been up and running?

The reason I ask is I tried TOT Goldcyber (2MB service) a little over a year ago but ended up canceling after 2 months due reliability (i.e., too much downtime) and slow international web site speed. I switched to another ISP and have had good/solid 2MB service/speed but pay about twice as much as equivalent speed TOT service. Since my one year contract with my current ISP provider is up, and due to TOT's new internet packages and lower prices, I just wondering if I should give TOT internet another try. Any feedback from "current/very recent TOT 3MB to 12MB package subscribers" is appreciated and Happy Holidays.

I'm currently using the TOT 2M Goldcyber and I do get fairly close to 2MPS 24/7 for sites hosted in Thailand but drops to as low as .5MPS for outside of Thailand such as the U.S. or Europe.

I live just a little north of Bangkok in Bang Yai, Nonthaburi.

I have found it all depends on where you live. If you've got a new home in a district where home phones used to be a novelty, then chances are that the existing phone lines are old and inadequate and it's probably not all fiber optics.

Sometimes in the wee early morning hours I can achieve 1.7MPS so I guess too much traffic in the day light hours is where the bottleneck is.

I've had TOT before and it seems they are always playing catch up to the increasing demands of the internet. Heck, even if you use TRUE Internet you still have to have a phone line provided by TOT,

I finally found a number at TOT service that have English speaking tech staff and that number is 1100 from your home phone.

Tell them what your home number is and they will tell you if you are in an area that can get 3MPS or even 2MPS for downloads outside of Thailand.

It would be interesting to see a 'road' map of the internet in Thailand and maybe get an ideal of where the 'bottlenecks' occur for International.

I don't have to rely on my ISP for business so there is no real hardship. It was just frustrating a few months back when I couldn't find anyone that could tell me why I was paying for 2MPS and getting .5MPS. Now I know and all is well.

They did say they are updating the phone lines and switch boxes in the area and things will get better.

Those other new ISPs that are starting up out there have their problems too I've heard.

TRUE doesn't even offer service in this area and I'm only 2km from the main highway Western Outer Ring 9

Good luck and report where you are and your progress

Thanks. I don't live too far from you as I live in Khet Talingchan. Phone lines in my moobaan are in good shape...I don't think any of my problem was with the physical phone line. From my testing my gut told me it was probably a case of TOT having too high of a User Ratio and not enought gateway access to international web sites. I was told TOT has User Ratio of 50 to 1 for internet lines; my current ISP provider supposedly has a 10 to 1. Thanks for that TOT service number...I just may give it a call.

Thanks. I don't live too far from you as I live in Khet Talingchan. Phone lines in my moobaan are in good shape...I don't think any of my problem was with the physical phone line. From my testing my gut told me it was probably a case of TOT having too high of a User Ratio and not enough gateway access to international web sites. I was told TOT has User Ratio of 50 to 1 for internet lines; my current ISP provider supposedly has a 10 to 1. Thanks for that TOT service number...I just may give it a call.

chanwit,

Just an update to my above response to you. I called that TOT 1100 number which was their Call Center, pressed the selection for English, and got a rep on the online within a few seconds who spoke very good English. I said I was considering getting TOT internet service but needed to know what was the fastest speed they could provide for my phone line. The rep put me on hold for about 30 seconds to check, came back online, and said: 8MB download and 512KB upload for 1000 Baht/month. I said international speed was very important to me and he then added the 8MB service provides around 1MB international download speed. He then gave me info on the 4MB service which was 4MB download (websites within Thailand), 512MB download (international websites) and 512MB upload with a price of 790 Baht per month. This pricing info agrees with their web site promotion/info.

However, when I go to their web site and click on the details/fine print of their Super Speed packages, paragraph 1 seems to indicate these speeds are only available

from midnight to 6am on a "Peer-to-Peer" bases. Also, based on my wife's explanation of Paragraph 1 to me (a paragraph she really didn't understand all that well), it seems to indicate International bandwidth is limited to 512KB and Domestic bandwidth to 1MB. http://www.tot.co.th/images/PROMOTION/super%20speed.pdf Kinda confusing, maybe there is someone out there who is tech savy and can read Thai who could translate Paragraph 1 of TOT's fine print into layman's language.

But some critical info still missing is their "uptime/reliability." Hopefully I can get more feedback from fine folks like you regarding TOT's currently internet uptime/reliability for their 3MB to 12MB speed packages. Thanks again.

I'm only using a 3MB TOT line, but can max it out on Thailand sites (such as linux mirrors) and have have some international connections that are not far off maximum speed too - mostly big open source downloads, MS downloads, and a client's private server.

So no complaints here. Shame that the higher speeds are not getting good reports as I hope to upgrade when the next offer is on.

However, when I go to their web site and click on the details/fine print of their Super Speed packages, paragraph 1 seems to indicate these speeds are only available

from midnight to 6am on a "Peer-to-Peer" bases. Also, based on my wife's explanation of Paragraph 1 to me (a paragraph she really didn't understand all that well), it seems to indicate International bandwidth is limited to 512KB and Domestic bandwidth to 1MB. http://www.tot.co.th/images/PROMOTION/super%20speed.pdf Kinda confusing, maybe there is someone out there who is tech savy and can read Thai who could translate Paragraph 1 of TOT's fine print into layman's language.

1. ช่วงเวลาตั้งแต่ 00.01 น. ถึง 6.00 น. สามารถใช้บริการแบบ Peer-to-Peer ได้ทั้งระดับความเร็ว 8Mb/512Kbps และ 12Mb/512Kbps โดยจำกัดความเร็วในการดาวน์โหลดเว็บไซต์ต่างประเทศ (International Bandwidth) ไม่เกิน 512Kb และเว็บไซต์ในประเทศ (Domestic Bandwidth) ไม่เกิน 1Mb

Translation:

1. From 00:01 AM (midnight) to 06:00 AM, Peer-to-Peer services can be used on both 8Mb/512Kbps and 12Mb/512Kbps ADSL packages. Bandwidth restrictions apply. Downloads from international websites is limited to (a maximum speed of) 512Kb and domestic websites 1Mb.

Edited by Supernova

I had nothing but problems when I was on TOT. Outages and disconnections common, not to mention arrogant and unhelpful staff both at their call centers and in their offices. I had a 2Mb line. Speeds were ok but too many outages. At busy times on Saturday evenings it was sometimes connectionless or speeds were so slow even browsing was impossible.

They also made a mistake with the billing and cut me off, refusing to apologize even after it was shown to be entirely their fault and causing me great inconvenience.

I am on True now and the service is notably better, both from their staff and the internet connection.

from midnight to 6am on a "Peer-to-Peer" bases. Also, based on my wife's explanation of Paragraph 1 to me (a paragraph she really didn't understand all that well), it seems to indicate International bandwidth is limited to 512KB and Domestic bandwidth to 1MB. http://www.tot.co.th/images/PROMOTION/super%20speed.pdf Kinda confusing, maybe there is someone out there who is tech savvy and can read Thai who could translate Paragraph 1 of TOT's fine print into layman's language.

1. ช่วงเวลาตั้งแต่ 00.01 น. ถึง 6.00 น. สามารถใช้บริการแบบ Peer-to-Peer ได้ทั้งระดับความเร็ว 8Mb/512Kbps และ 12Mb/512Kbps โดยจำกัดความเร็วในการดาวน์โหลดเว็บไซต์ต่างประเทศ (International Bandwidth) ไม่เกิน 512Kb และเว็บไซต์ในประเทศ (Domestic Bandwidth) ไม่เกิน 1Mb

Translation:

1. From 00:01 AM (midnight) to 06:00 AM, Peer-to-Peer services can be used on both 8Mb/512Kbps and 12Mb/512Kbps ADSL packages. Bandwidth restrictions apply. Downloads from international websites is limited to (a maximum speed of) 512Kb and domestic websites 1Mb.

Thanks...that's what I thought it said. Really a strange statement in my non-techy mind. The statement sure sounds strange in that they offer a download speed of 8Mb and 12Mb "but" limit domestic bandwidth to 1Mb and international bandwidth to 512MB. Ain't that bandwidth limitation the same as saying top speed is 1MB versus 8MB/12MB. I hoping TOT made a blunder in writing up this statement; then again....

The statement sure sounds strange in that they offer a download speed of 8Mb and 12Mb "but" limit domestic bandwidth to 1Mb and international bandwidth to 512MB. Ain't that bandwidth limitation the same as saying top speed is 1MB versus 8MB/12MB. I hoping TOT made a blunder in writing up this statement; then again....

Agreed. The fine print is rather vague... I think the keyword here is "download" -- meaning download bandwidth is limited.

I guess one could utilize the full 8MB or 12MB while browsing or streaming media then?

What I'm wondering is how they are able to distinguish between downloads (bar torrents) and casual web browsing...

This is a supplementary to the other qustion. I am with CAT & pay 2000 per month for something; (I am not tech-savvy.) Generally my speeds are ok for what I want but I keep getting the message below which necessitates switching off Mozilla FF & then reconnecting. I have a Zyxel Gateway something. Is it me or CAT?

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

This is a supplementary to the other qustion. I am with CAT & pay 2000 per month for something; (I am not tech-savvy.) Generally my speeds are ok for what I want but I keep getting the message below which necessitates switching off Mozilla FF & then reconnecting. I have a Zyxel Gateway something. Is it me or CAT?

moments.

Could just be the site (you're trying to connect to) is experiencing downtime...

Try this -- Down for everyone or just me?

The statement sure sounds strange in that they offer a download speed of 8Mb and 12Mb "but" limit domestic bandwidth to 1Mb and international bandwidth to 512MB. Ain't that bandwidth limitation the same as saying top speed is 1MB versus 8MB/12MB. I hoping TOT made a blunder in writing up this statement; then again....

Agreed. The fine print is rather vague... I think the keyword here is "download" -- meaning download bandwidth is limited.

I guess one could utilize the full 8MB or 12MB while browsing or streaming media then?

What I'm wondering is how they are able to distinguish between downloads (bar torrents) and casual web browsing...

The more I think about their statement, I thinking the bandwidth restriction applies only to Peer-to-Peer connections like Torrents and not to simple browsing. From reading up on Torrents I guess Internet Service Providers (ISP) are getting better at detecting Torrent connections and then can throttle back on the bandwidth/flow to those Torrent connections. Hopeully, just normal browsing/streaming media would not be affected/throttled back like Torrents. Then again, the TOT Rep on the phone said there was a bandwidth limit on browsing. Probably the 8MB/12MB max speed is what you hopefully get between your home and the ISP's server; but after their server starts reaching out into the world wide web, that is when the bandwidth/speed gets choked down to 1MB. Kinda like being on an office LAN (wired) where the LAN is capable of 100Mbits (or more), but when reaching out to the internet from the LAN you get a much slower speed. But then again, we have people who report some pretty high speed/bandwidth test results.

Way too much smoke and mirrors talk in ISP advertisements; only real world testing/feedback helps to clear the smoke and break the mirrors. Hopefully there will be more input/feedback from those TOT folks using TOT's 3MB, 4MB, 8MB, and/or 12MB internet packages.

well I am on tot 3mb package now after having quite a few problems with maxnet indy and premier, mine seems to run pretty steady and consistent which is what I want. Download speeds ? haha dont even bother trying to sort out what you are really getting, there are just too many variables involved, the quality of your line and contention ratios are just the beginning of the many problems. You can run those bogus speed tests 100 times and get 100 different results, me thinks alot of people bragging on what they think they are getting is quite funny.

well I am on tot 3mb package now after having quite a few problems with maxnet indy and premier, mine seems to run pretty steady and consistent which is what I want. Download speeds ? haha dont even bother trying to sort out what you are really getting, there are just too many variables involved, the quality of your line and contention ratios are just the beginning of the many problems. You can run those bogus speed tests 100 times and get 100 different results, me thinks alot of people bragging on what they think they are getting is quite funny.

Ain't that the truth about some of the speed tests. Time of day, capacity of the server the speedtest is being run on, location of the speedtest server, User Ratio, etc...etc...etc., can provide "outstanding" or "really slow" results. I put more weigh on the feedback from folks who can provide results and opinions based on day-to-day use over several months along with some specific numbers as example. Big thanks for your feedback and Happy Holidays.

TOT would be the last company I would try. Had for 30 months an IP Star Satellite Connection from TOT before I found out they are cheaters. I paid for a 1024/512 kbps connection, but when checking at the end even half the speed could not be achieved. Besides TOT does not reply to e-mails, nor to letters you sent them. Better try a wireless Huawei USB Modem from DTAC, same speed as TOT (around 512/256 kbps.) for 1/6 of the TOT price. However, if you live in a bigger city with a cable connection you can try TrueInternet.

Regards,

Aart van Wijngaarden

Khon Buri / Thailand

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I had lots of those messages for months, until someone on the forum talked about FF being a CPU hog - which it is. I've now switched to Chrome and have not had that message since.

I have 4 mb TOT in central CM and get 3.5 download to BKK as measured by speedtest.net and variable 2.5 to 3.5 mb download to/from Seattle or LA US depending on time of day etc.. Very reliable and consistent for me for the last 4 months when I got it turned on.

The only thing I have seen better is a friend who has True 5 mb and he gets almost 5 mb to the US with better Ping times than my TOT.

just got upgraded today from our old ToT service 1000baht 2mg to the 3 mg for 590 baht. I did a speed test with thai visa and got 458kbps download and 229kbps upload which i belive is similar to what i had before. I dont understand though is why they called us to upgrade our internet speed for less money?

just got upgraded today from our old ToT service 1000baht 2mg to the 3 mg for 590 baht. I did a speed test with thai visa and got 458kbps download and 229kbps upload which i believe is similar to what i had before. I dont understand though is why they called us to upgrade our internet speed for less money?

You must be a good distance from the phone company's office/connection point since the ThaiVisa speedtest uses a in-country/very nearby server for the test. When I had the TOT Goldcyber 2MB service I would "always" pull a 1.7-1.8MB download and over 400kbps on the upload, even on those days when testing to international web sites would pull much, much lower numbers. And with my current provider (JI-NET using a 2MB package) I pull the same numbers as mentioned above on the ThaiVisa speedtest, but usually get a 1MB-1.5MB download speed using Speedtest.net for international web sites like in the U.S. If not done already you might want to have TOT checkout the physical condition of your line, as your DSL speed should be much higher "unless" you are a good distance (at least a couple kilometers) from their initial connection point/switching office.

I am having a lot of problems with the 3bb... primarily at night. I get totally disconnected all the time ( I can see the ADSL modem light restarting ). I switched to 3bb from Jasmine Internet last month because they were having the same problem. Hardly a scientific test but I asked another neighbor in my neighborhood if he was having the same problems ... he said yes. The ADSL repair guys have been over to check the clarity of my lines and they said they were fine. Three out of the last four years my ADSL has worked perfectly... just the past six months have given me incredible grief.

You must be a good distance from the phone company's office/connection point since the ThaiVisa speedtest uses a in-country/very nearby server for the test. When I had the TOT Goldcyber 2MB service I would "always" pull a 1.7-1.8MB download and over 400kbps on the upload, even on those days when testing to international web sites would pull much, much lower numbers. And with my current provider (JI-NET using a 2MB package) I pull the same numbers as mentioned above on the ThaiVisa speedtest, but usually get a 1MB-1.5MB download speed using Speedtest.net for international web sites like in the U.S.

Hmm... A fellow JI-NET user; that makes two of us! JI-NET is one of the better (but lesser known) ISP's out there. I've been using the 2MB service for over two years.

Thaivisa speedtest:

Download Speed: 1780 kbps (222.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 418 kbps (52.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 80 ms

Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:25:12

If not done already you might want to have TOT checkout the physical condition of your line, as your DSL speed should be much higher "unless" you are a good distance (at least a couple kilometers) from their initial connection point/switching office.

I live 4.1km from the exchange. Also check internal wiring for defects; bad internal wiring can cause all sorts of problems as well.

Quote:

I am having a lot of problems with the 3bb... primarily at night. I get totally disconnected all the time ( I can see the ADSL modem light restarting ). I switched to 3bb from Jasmine Internet last month because they were having the same problem. Hardly a scientific test but I asked another neighbor in my neighborhood if he was having the same problems ... he said yes. The ADSL repair guys have been over to check the clarity of my lines and they said they were fine. Three out of the last four years my ADSL has worked perfectly... just the past six months have given me incredible grief.

End Quote:

Your problem sounds like a "physical" problem with the phone line(s)/circuits versus the the ISPs servers. Since you neighbor is having the problem also, it's probably where your lines go into junction box or at the switching office itself. And until this physical problem is fixed no matter what ISP you sign-up with you will still have the problem since they all use the phone line/circuits of your local phone line/number provider,which I'm assuming is TOT.

Edited by Pib

Monitor your router stats. If you're seeing relatively large incremental jumps in SNR along with high number of CRC/HEC errors, this could indicate: (1) physical line trouble or bad internal wiring; (2) interference from an external source; (3) defective equipment -- modem/router; (4) problems at the exchange. I experienced the latter a few weeks ago; see this post. As it turns out, there were problems at the exchange. Not only did it wreak havoc to ADSL, it also disrupted normal phone service. Thankfully, the issue has since been resolved.

You must be a good distance from the phone company's office/connection point since the ThaiVisa speedtest uses a in-country/very nearby server for the test. When I had the TOT Goldcyber 2MB service I would "always" pull a 1.7-1.8MB download and over 400kbps on the upload, even on those days when testing to international web sites would pull much, much lower numbers. And with my current provider (JI-NET using a 2MB package) I pull the same numbers as mentioned above on the ThaiVisa speedtest, but usually get a 1MB-1.5MB download speed using Speedtest.net for international web sites like in the U.S.

Hmm... A fellow JI-NET user; that makes two of us! JI-NET is one of the better (but lesser known) ISP's out there. I've been using the 2MB service for over two years.

Thaivisa speedtest:

Download Speed: 1780 kbps (222.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 418 kbps (52.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 80 ms

Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:25:12

If not done already you might want to have TOT checkout the physical condition of your line, as your DSL speed should be much higher "unless" you are a good distance (at least a couple kilometers) from their initial connection point/switching office.

I live 4.1km from the exchange. Also check internal wiring for defects; bad internal wiring can cause all sorts of problems as well.

Yeap, my JI-NET speedtest numbers are basically identical to yours. For the 13 months I've been with them there was only a 3 hour or so period where I didn't have an internet connection. But JI-NET worked it fast and hard and it turned out to be a TOT connection problem and not a JI-NET server issue. Other than that 3 hour period, the rest of my 13 months has been internet up and running good 24 hours a days.

But as you know, JI-NET's top speed package is 2MB (I use their BizConnect 2MB package which is the only one available thru TOT lines). When I queried JI-NET this month about when they are coming out with faster packages like other companies I just got an answer that 2MB packages were the fastest packages they offered. I expect their concessionaire contract with TOT is probably preventing them from offering faster packages at this time. If I could only get JI-NET reliability with the TOT/True high speed packages, then internet life would be a lot better. :)