National Health Insurance

cariden

There is universal health care (formerly "30 baht medical scheme") initiated by former Thaksin Shinawatra administration but you must have Thai ID card and out of work (meaning not covered by social security) to be eligible for it.

There is a system for Thai's but no, foreigners cannot buy in. The Thai system covers nationals who have worked for at least six months and the cost is (I believe) covered by the employer. Once the person has worked for at least six months they can continue to make their own payments in the event that they stop work and the cost is about Baht 400 per month - the system provides for medical care (not the 30 baht scheme but proper medical coverage) and a pension at retirement age. This is the limit of my knowledge on this subject and I only know the above because Mrs CM has just started to make the payments after stopping work hence I got a brief run down on what the system provides.

Edited by chiang mai

(not the 30 baht scheme but proper medical coverage) and a pension at retirement age.

that is Prakan Sangkom (social security). Universal health care is no longer 30 baht (but completely free). What is it about universal health care that is improper?

(not the 30 baht scheme but proper medical coverage) and a pension at retirement age.

that is Prakan Sangkom (social security). Universal health care is no longer 30 baht (but completely free). What is it about universal health care that is improper?

I'm not trying to suggest anything is improper merely trying to describe the difference between the two systems and convey that social security system health coverage provides more extensive medical coverage.

I'm not trying to suggest anything is improper merely trying to describe the difference between the two systems and convey that social security system health coverage provides more extensive medical coverage.

universal health care provides pretty extensive coverage too, from dental to heart transplant from what I was told by public health ministry.

My impression is that the public health care system for Thais is totally inadequate for anything serious.

not my impression receiving health care under universal health care as far as Chula hospital is concerned (as outpatient anyway).

Edited by Nordlys

My impression is that the public health care system for Thais is totally inadequate for anything serious.

not my impression receiving health care under universal health care as far as Chula hospital is concerned (as outpatient anyway).

Great to hear. I had heard the docs didn't like it and were running in droves to private hospitals.

universal health care provides pretty extensive coverage too, from dental to heart transplant from what I was told by public health ministry.

As I already posted I have limited knowledge on this subject and was simply attempting to answer the OP's question in part at least, but since you persist let me add a little more. The social security health care system appears to provide subsidized or fully paid health care at private hospitals as well as state hospitals - Mrs CM has designated the International Hospital in Phuket as her preferred medical centre and I'm told this is acceptable, great, it reduces the cost to me if medical care is needed. By contrast the 30 baht scheme (now rebranded) was the subject of many complaints in the past with large numbers of doctors/medical facilities refusing to take patients because their costs were not covered (according to the broad page press) , the issue of quality of care must also feature here somewhere but now I truly am at my knowledge limits on this and really don't want to chat on this further since I have nothing more to add that is constructive.

But back to the OP's point, no is the answer.

Great to hear. I had heard the docs didn't like it and were running in droves to private hospitals.

I read that in Bangkok Post. But when I go see my doc at Chula hospital I don't think he knows or even cares which health care I'm under, except for one endocrinologist who works part time at Bumrungrad and would rather see me at Bumrungrad than at Chula.

The social security health care system appears to provide subsidized or fully paid health care at private hospitals as well as state hospitals - By contrast the 30 baht scheme (now rebranded) was the subject of many complaints in the past with large numbers of doctors/medical facilities refusing to take patients because their costs were not covered (according to the broad page press)

It's the universal health care that is fully subsidized, not prakan sangkom. Also for 30+ times I have been going to Chula hospital under universal health care since its inception I have never once been refused to see the doctor (that should cause quite an uproar as there are hundreds of patients each day who seek treatment under universal health care) nor have I ever been refused prescription of the expensive drug I receive under the care.

The social security health care system appears to provide subsidized or fully paid health care at private hospitals as well as state hospitals - By contrast the 30 baht scheme (now rebranded) was the subject of many complaints in the past with large numbers of doctors/medical facilities refusing to take patients because their costs were not covered (according to the broad page press)

It's the universal health care that is fully subsidized, not prakan sangkom. Also for 30+ times I have been going to Chula hospital under universal health care since its inception I have never once been refused to see the doctor (that should cause quite an uproar as there are hundreds of patients each day who seek treatment under universal health care) nor have I ever been refused prescription of the expensive drug I receive under the care.

My wife and daughters who avail themselves to the 30฿ plan have always had to pay additional sums for medicine and tests, I'm always asking what about the 30฿

plan when does it kic in????

My wife and daughters who avail themselves to the 30฿ plan have always had to pay additional sums for medicine and tests, I'm always asking what about the 30฿

plan when does it kic in????

It's one thing you are eligible for it, another thing you actually seek help under universal health care. Are you sure your wife and daughter queue up at the right window (usually an hour or longer wait at Chula hospital) and right hospital designated for universal health care where they issue you a slip that would exempt you from all payment be it tests or medicines? Or for that matter do they have Batr Thong (gold card, but actually white in color) to begin with? It's been years since I don't have to pay anything after they scrapped the 30 baht fee yet I still get almost 20,000 baht's worth of expensive medicine under universal health care. What province do you live anyway?

Edited by Nordlys

"There is a system for Thai's but no, foreigners cannot buy in. The Thai system covers nationals who have worked for at least six months and the cost is (I believe) covered by the employer."

As noted, this is social security.

Foreigners can be in this system. Can be!

Everyone working can belong to soc sec. There are some exceptions to this. For instance, employees at private schools are not currently in the system.

As also noted, once you stop working you can continue in the system by making payments yourself. At present the cost is 432฿ a month. For the last couple of months it's only been about 260฿ because of the Thai stimulus package.

Many private hospitals have opted to be in the system. Many have decided to not be in the system. That is entirely their choice.

If a person stops working and decides to not pay on their own, they are still covered for 6 months.

I believe that employees in the system are eligible after the first 3 months, not six.

In my opinion, Thai soc sec is very underrated by foreign workers and is generally misunderstood. It's actually a pretty good system.

Am I missing something here ? There are good medical insurance policies available in Thailand which foreigners (and Thais) can buy.

Why deplete the already poorly funded medical service which is used by the poor when, as a foreigner, one can very well afford a good level of medical insurance ?

"Why deplete the already poorly funded medical service which is used by the poor when, as a foreigner, one can very well afford a good level of medical insurance?"

I believe you mean the old 'gold card' program designed for the poor. Foreigners are not in that system.

Since soc sec is funded by fees from employees and employers, I don't think that's what you're talking about. If Thailand didn't want us in the soc sec system I'm sure they'd have no problem excluding us.

As it is, it's a fair program designed for workers of all nationalities.

Can you tell me which private insurance companies offer policies to the elderly and to those with pre-existing conditions?

----------------

"...one can very well afford a good level of medical insurance?"

Maybe 'one' can. What about those who can't?

• 2 weeks later...
In my opinion, Thai soc sec is very underrated by foreign workers and is generally misunderstood. It's actually a pretty good system.

Totally agree on this. The reason I still use private hospitals is only because of the waiting times

Hi,

I posted in another thread, so I apologize it this is redundant.

I am wondering if it is possible for me to get insurance despite having pre-existing conditions. I had a kidney transplant 24 years ago and require maintenance drugs. If the insurance is not a possibility is it likely the medications would be available from Thai pharmacies or hospitals?

Thank you

"There is a system for Thai's but no, foreigners cannot buy in. The Thai system covers nationals who have worked for at least six months and the cost is (I believe) covered by the employer."

As noted, this is social security.

Foreigners can be in this system. Can be!

Yes, foreigners can be in it. I am and have used the system once at a government hospital which proved very efficient if time consuming.

But I'm sure I would have waited a lot longer at a hospital in UK.

• 7 months later...

I had Hip replacement Operation Was quoted 1 Million Baht at Bumrungrad in Bangkok. I work and am covered at Queens in Sri Ratcha Government hospital. I went to have them have a look and they agreed that the hips needed replacing. My insurance from the SS since I am working covered me 100 % I paid 8K only as I wanted a single room. Has been a month and the Hip they did feels great. I will be returning for them to do the other one in 3 Months.

I was treated very well doubt the care would have been better anywhere I would have had it done. So it was a no brainer 35K US or Free ?

I agree with this. I don't think many employers really make foreign employees aware of how it works though.