Bringing A Helmet From Your Country

joorakee

1972. Vancouver Island. Blew front tire, 70 mph, flew off road, hit tree. Blacked out. Came to - sore neck. Reason - helmet split from middle snap at front for shield attachment to rear neck roll, the outer fibreglass shell pressing down on the sides of my neck were causing the pain. Inner styrofoam shell crushed. Head - no injury. Do you want to wear a crap helmet ??? Up to You.

A few days ago, I brought a new helmet (now #3). I always check them, never any issue. If you have no space for yours, you can buy mine for 1,500 with the new seal on the lid etc. shipped by EMS when you come, delivery within 48 hours and insured. Size XL 61, road Star, Black, with an air vent. ECER 22 cert, it might indicate an industry norm?

Not sure what a new full face helmet costs over here. Chris

Might bring my AGV lid down from BKK to Singapore next time - I can carry it on, no problem, but assume putting a lid thru airport security scanners doesn't risk any damage to it?

CC

I don't see how it is possible for it to be damaged by the x-ray machine.

1972. Vancouver Island. Blew front tire, 70 mph, flew off road, hit tree. Blacked out. Came to - sore neck. Reason - helmet split from middle snap at front for shield attachment to rear neck roll, the outer fibreglass shell pressing down on the sides of my neck were causing the pain. Inner styrofoam shell crushed. Head - no injury. Do you want to wear a crap helmet ??? Up to You.

" helmet split from middle snap at front for shield attachment to rear neck roll,"

Was it made of ABS-plastic, very popular at the time? They were press-glued along the centre of the shell. If you have a helmet with a distinct line in the material running along the centre front to back, it is ABS material. Good for salad bowls.

Was it made of ABS-plastic ???

No, fibreglass. The make and model escapes me - I just got out of the 60's so was a little fuzzy. But the experience made a believer out of me. I am unable to find a full-face that will give me the peripheral vision I like. So gave that up. Lexan fold-down visor will have to do. Replace every 3 years or so. And keep my head up. Be aware. Be there.

I put my helmet in the helmet cloth bag and put my gloves and camera in there as well. I took it on the plane as carry on in addition to my regular carry on bag with no problems and I would recommend doing the same.

In terms of buying stuff when you come here, you will find it to be an annoyance and time-waster. Do you really want to spend your time in LOS shopping around all day looking for something decent? Even if it takes you 1/2 day, is it worth spending your time this way?

There is some decent stuff here that meets Western expectations, but the selection is almost always Mediocre and the prices are Horrible - at least compared to USA.

I live in the US but I'm originally from Poland... Currently traveling Thailand via motorcycle, posting this from Khon Kaen... Good luck with your trip...