Bringing A Helmet From Your Country

joorakee

Hi, everyone. :)

I'm going to Thailand next month and hesitating whether to bring one of my full-face helmets with me or to buy/rent one on the spot. I know that they usually give you an open helmet at rental shops (have rented a bike several times). In my home country, I always wear a full-face helmet, no matter if I ride a big motorcycle or a small scooter.

Do you have any experience with bringing helmets from abroad? Any troubles with air lines etc.?

I know that it would be a palliative but I also consider buying a cheap helmet (a little bit better than those offered at rental shops) in LOS. Any advice where to buy (rent?) a decent-but-not-very-expensive helmet in Bangkok/Pattaya will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

majority of generic helmets here are not 'safety standard' compared to the western countries. Helmets such as Bell, Shoei, are well known approved brands globally.

If you do have a good safety standard helmet I would bring it along if space permits.

Brought my own helmet with me from the UK.Parceled it up with bubble rap and put it my bag with the rest of my things.Easy

Bubble wrapped it and put it in ur suitcase :) Must either be one hel_l of a suitcase or perhaps a pin sized head. Theres no way Im putting my good helmet in a suitcase.

I put my huuuuuge 7 7/8 full-face in my large suitcase, easily.

Sounds like a big bag PB. I just know one thing, Im not putting my good helmet inside a suit case, its worth way too much for starters. Then I dont like the idea of it having a few hundred kg's of luggage thrown onto of it (which may happen if its on the bottom of a load onto the aircraft).

Anyway, ur head, ur helmet.

I've brought several helmets through (on Emirates!) and had no problems as carry on luggage....

Yes, I carried on with Emirates as well, my plan being if they were going to deny it as hand luggage, I was going to wear it, telling them that I was clumsy on my feet & doctor had requested it :)

Depends on what your intending to rent..

If just a scoot then I would buy one here.. Real (brand name) helmets are of a quality I think is fine for non sportbike type riding.

Once it gets less than that standard like the big C / Tesco index brand ones, I would bring my own.

Depends on what your intending to rent..

If just a scoot then I would buy one here.. Real (brand name) helmets are of a quality I think is fine for non sportbike type riding.

Once it gets less than that standard like the big C / Tesco index brand ones, I would bring my own.

I have a couple of 'Real' helmets, their not bad but nothing on one of my good helmets.

I don't understand what you are saying about them being good enough for non sprotbike type riding, lets face it most scooters can easily go over 40-50km/h and an accident and subsequent impact to your head could easily kill you at that speed & Im not sure your 'test' for wearing a good quality helmet is really that good.

I wear my 'real' brand helmet when Im going to the shops & places like that because I dont want to be bobbing around tesco/lotus with a 30,000 baht helmet getting knocked around, I will probably regret the decision if I ever come off the bike.

Brought my own helmet with me from the UK.Parceled it up with bubble rap and put it my bag with the rest of my things.Easy

Bubble wrapped it and put it in ur suitcase :) Must either be one hel_l of a suitcase or perhaps a pin sized head. Theres no way Im putting my good helmet in a suitcase.

We are discussing helmets here ar'nt we.You know,them things that save your head when you hit the tarmac.Whats your's made of?

I see it that the real brand is dot approved and of a basic quality I would accept..

I hadly expect anyone to be using an AGV etc helmet when renting a twist and go at the beach. Sure one day it could save your life, but I dont see it as a requirement for the low speed machines, its a risk balance I personally can live with.

I know nothing about helmets, but don't forget that probably more than half of the products in the shops are actually fakes (copies) whether they are brand name or not, and whether or not they are sold in "well known" shops. I would definitely bring my own, having seen so many heads split open on concrete kerbs from accidents at quite low speeds, it isn't worth skimping. Riding a sports bike on soft ground is not as dangerous as the conditions on concrete roads with heavy steel vehicles. Personally, I wouldn't even consider riding a motorbike in Thailand. In my street alone I have seen 3 people killed this month.

Edited by stolidfeline

I know nothing about helmets, but don't forget that probably more than half of the products in the shops are actually fakes (copies) whether they are brand name or not

And you get that stat from where ??

Seen 100's of helmets from top end brands down to index and the like.. Never did I think I was seeing a fake. Top end brands only sold from top end places which are not likely to be selling fakes.

Now if your talking the Markets on the burmese border, then OK sure.. But in the shops in Thailand ?? more then half ?? Really..

Maaateee, I'm the bloke you need to talk to, other than I've never bought a helmet in Pataya or BKK, so I can't help you with actual stores...

I've riden a hired scoot with the hire helmets, I would say they would help you only in a get off where most of the impact has been absorbed by the rest of your body, like if you run into the back of something, and the bike tips sideways when stopped, you take most of the weight with your leg, then hip, then shoulder, then a gentle (but possibly fatal) tap of your head onto the pavement... biggest problem is getting one that fits well enough that it doesn't pop off with the lightest force... of course, if you fall on your face (very common) you will be looking like Nic Cage in that scene in Face Off, where they took his Face Off...

I've bought an Index brand helmet (600THB) in Thailand, I would say these are the Thai equivalent of the 2000THB helmet that are Australian Standard tested and approved here, so therefore, I would feel comfortable in them helping you in say 80% of cases... The biggest issue I have heard with them is that in some cases, cheap helmet visors crack in an accident leaving sharp edges in the vicinity of your face and eyes...

I have carried my 2000THB Helmet in checked baggage... if you are doing this, I suggest you go to your local bike store and get the box a helmet comes in, complete with foam... many buyers don't want the box, and I have never had a problem getting one for free... the foam will help protect your helmet from the forces of luggage on top of it, and show evidence if the helmet has had excessive forces (the box will be damaged)...

I have carried 1 and 2 helmets as carry on, on International and Thai (AA) Domestic flights without a probelm... and I had significant other carry-on baggage... Actually a good thing, because I also never put them on the scale and therefor they don't come into your baggage allowance :) ... Just my bike gear in a bag is 14KG, so that is important... If you do this, put the helments in helmet bags with straps so you can put them over your shoulder when carrying them around the airport... they actually get heavy carrying them in your hand...

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

Bubble wrapped it and put it in ur suitcase :D Must either be one hel_l of a suitcase or perhaps a pin sized head. Theres no way Im putting my good helmet in a suitcase.

We are discussing helmets here ar'nt we.You know,them things that save your head when you hit the tarmac.Whats your's made of?

Ohhh I geddit, its a helmet, you can drop it, knock it around, pile hundreds of kg's of luggage on top of it, nevermind, she'll be right mate :) . Up to you spud.

I know nothing about helmets, but don't forget that probably more than half of the products in the shops are actually fakes (copies) whether they are brand name or not, and whether or not they are sold in "well known" shops. I would definitely bring my own, having seen so many heads split open on concrete kerbs from accidents at quite low speeds, it isn't worth skimping. Riding a sports bike on soft ground is not as dangerous as the conditions on concrete roads with heavy steel vehicles. Personally, I wouldn't even consider riding a motorbike in Thailand. In my street alone I have seen 3 people killed this month.

More 'Alarmist' nonesense. :)

Also, a quick examination of a real (not brand name real) helmet will tell you if its a fake or not, its kind of like a fake Ducati......mmmmm I don't think so. (Not to the trained eye anyway).

Never had a problem with any of mine to Thailand. Last one was carried on as hand luggage (without the box). Not that its Thailand but British Airways let me bring my new TT helmet on board when coming back from the UK. It may also just be down to how full the aircraft is and how nice you are to airport staff & crew.

Buy a "Real" brand here- they are quality helmets if you are just going to rent a scooter. Or if you don't want to bring over an expensive helmet, perfectly understandable, look for a closeout over in the states - you can find Nolan, KBC, etc all DOT approved for $99- $150. You won't have to worry about a $600 Arai or Shoei making the trip.

Buy a "Real" brand here- they are quality helmets if you are just going to rent a scooter. Or if you don't want to bring over an expensive helmet, perfectly understandable, look for a closeout over in the states - you can find Nolan, KBC, etc all DOT approved for $99- $150. You won't have to worry about a $600 Arai or Shoei making the trip.

Yeah, as long as the helmet works the once and saves your bollard, fine by me :)

More 'Alarmist' nonesense. :)

Also, a quick examination of a real (not brand name real) helmet will tell you if its a fake or not, its kind of like a fake Ducati......mmmmm I don't think so. (Not to the trained eye anyway).

It is funny how the fellas that no nothing about bikes and helmets feel like they have to add their two penny worth... With the '' I know nothing about '' qualification first of course

Anyhow I have three full face lid.. An Arai, an Airoh and a Roof.. All were bought in UK and hand carried no problem on Emirates, Air France and KLM..

As for the local lids.. Well 'Real' is about the best of the bunch and my GF uses on in town on her scooter.. She has a heavier ( and quieter ) HJC which she wears on longer rides as a pillion on my sports bike..

As for the rest of the local brands in Thailand.. you may as well wear a pumpkin.. They don't fit well and are made of cheap light weight materials.. Liek most things here style is more important than substance.. 700 baht for a helmet.. No thanks.. My head is worth more than that...

Oh and on the fake Ducati business,,, Funny enough I was just getting on mine some Months back when a guy ( farang ) walks up and asks me '' is that a real one mate ''

Yes I know this is Thailand but....where the hel_l do you buy a 'copy' Ducati ?

If you have a decent helmet and you plan to do a lot of riding around it's worth bringing.. But be prepared to carry it about with you or lock it VERY securely to the bike when not in use..

It is funny how the fellas that no nothing about bikes and helmets feel like they have to add their two penny worth... With the '' I know nothing about '' qualification first of course

Anyhow I have three full face lid.. An Arai, an Airoh and a Roof.. All were bought in UK and hand carried no problem on Emirates, Air France and KLM..

As for the local lids.. Well 'Real' is about the best of the bunch and my GF uses on in town on her scooter.. She has a heavier ( and quieter ) HJC which she wears on longer rides as a pillion on my sports bike..

As for the rest of the local brands in Thailand.. you may as well wear a pumpkin.. They don't fit well and are made of cheap light weight materials.. Liek most things here style is more important than substance.. 700 baht for a helmet.. No thanks.. My head is worth more than that...

Oh and on the fake Ducati business,,, Funny enough I was just getting on mine some Months back when a guy ( farang ) walks up and asks me '' is that a real one mate ''

Yes I know this is Thailand but....where the hel_l do you buy a 'copy' Ducati ?

If you have a decent helmet and you plan to do a lot of riding around it's worth bringing.. But be prepared to carry it about with you or lock it VERY securely to the bike when not in use..

A copy Ducati. Ha ha ha You know I've seen & heard about some interesting brands copied / emulated in Thailand, but that must take the cake. Would love to have been a fly on the wall and taken a photo of the expression on your face when the numbty asked the question. You should have told him right then that it was a new V-twin Haeysong (spelling?). Glad you kept your cool and filed him under an appropriate folder in your head. Dipsh*t comes to mind :)

Back to helmets. I know they can ask a mint for the high end Arai, Shoei etc. I'm an AGV fan but don't if anyone sells them in Thailand?