Brit Drug User Wants Out Of Jail

bambob

Clitheroe News

Agony continues as a rule change keeps Chris in jail

THE devastated parents of Thai prisoner Christopher Egan jailed for drugs offences have spoken of their heartache after being told that they will not be reunited with their son this year.

And now Mr and Mrs Tony and Joan Egan are calling on the public to back their appeal and persuade the King of Thailand, His Royal Majesty Bhumibol Adulyadej, to give him a Royal Pardon.

The Whalley couple have vowed to campaign at the highest level for a review of their 35-year-old son's sentence.

Conservative parliamentary candidate Nigel Evans has written to Labour's former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw calling for urgent action.

The news itself has left Christopher distraught and in response he has issued an emotional plea from his 6ft. by 7ft. cell, which he shares with three cell mates, to help him come home.

Former Queen Elizabeth Grammar School pupil Christopher was arrested in the city of Chiang Mai on suspicion of narcotics offences on February 24th last year - two days before he was due to return to England to see his family after seven years in Thailand.

The former English teacher had initially been sentenced to 16 years in an overcrowded Thai jail after allegedly being caught with eight amphetamine tablets in his luggage and marked notes.

Although Christopher pleaded guilty to the charge in a desperate bid to save having to spend a lengthy sentence in a cell, he strenuously denies the allegation with the full support of his family and believes the drugs may have been planted by police informers, who profit from the arrest of westerners.

In October last year, Christopher and his family were thrilled to discover Queen Sirikit of Thailand had given him an "amnesty" and as a result knocked six months off his sentence to celebrate her 72nd birthday.

The family was led to believe that their son, who had formerly been working as a university lecturer close to Thailand's border with Burma, was set to be repatriated to the UK in the summer, and released on parole just before Christmas.

The move meant Christopher, who is serving a four-year sentence, was expected to serve three months in a Lancashire jail.

However, just when the family thought their nightmare ordeal was about to be over, they were hit by the devastating news that the six-month reduction in his sentence has worked against Christopher.

Speaking exclusively to the Clitheroe Advertiser and Times about their anguish, retired accountant Mr Egan, said: "We are absolutely devastated. We were always under the impression that because of the reduction in his sentence, he would be eligible to apply for repatriation from the 24th of this month, and released on parole on November 25th.

"With this in mind, I wrote to officials at the Foreign Office to get the ball rolling and this is when they dropped the bombshell on us.

"We received a reply on March 23rd explaining that because Chris's sentence had been reduced to three-and-a-half years, the formula for his repatriation had changed and he was no longer eligible for consideration for release on parole."

Instead Christopher will be entitled to automatic release under Foreign Office guidelines, in 2006.

In a double whammy, the couple were told that even if Christopher can be repatriated to the UK, there are only six specially-trained officers in the UK allowed to accompany him home and there is already a waiting list.

"We just feel so cheated. Nobody informed us about the change in circumstance following the reduction in his sentence, added Mr Egan.

"We are just very concerned about Chris's health and we now aim to bring to the attention of Thailand's prime minister his plight.

"He is physically and mentally exhausted and the living conditions in the jail are no better. In fact, during our last visit Chris said he sees things on a daily basis that 'no human being should ever see' including dead bodies left for up to four days."

In a letter written on "Day 387" Christopher, pictured above in his cell, has appealed to people in the Ribble Valley to help him come home.

He writes: "I simply have no strength left. I have spent more than a year living in health-destroying conditions in Chiang Mai Central Prison for a crime I did not commit and am physically and mentally exhausted.

21 April 2005

source: burnleytoday.co.uk

These stories about the cops planting drugs on innocent people are so scary - and knowing how corrupt the cops are here I'm convinced there are more chance of that having happened than the guy actually having committet a crime.

Of course, due to the massive corruption at all levels, there is good reason to question any such arrest. None of us here will ever know for sure, so we're only stuck with our own predjudices in suggesting his guilt or innocence

Notice he's not accusing police of planting drugs on him, he's saying that the drugs may have been planted by police informers.. He also is alleged to have marked bills...

Sounds like he was involved in a sting, and is now paying the price. Too bad for his parents, but I'm not so quick to buy his story of complete innocence.

And rightfully so, Ajarn. Particularly your suspicions about the marked notes.

For more details of his life and arrest from the same newspaper as the OP:

Christopher is no hero, so let his tale be a warning to others

EDITOR . . . WHAT Christopher Egan did was wrong.

This newspaper does not intend to set out to portray him as a hero. His story is a stark warning to many.

By his own admission, Christopher was a drug addict.

It was Christopher's inability to cope with the situations around him that led to reliance on amphetamines as a means of escape.

He was then, he says, "set up" by a Thai drug dealer who, he later discovered, had turned police informant in a bid to keep himself out of a Thai jail.

Ironically Christopher was about to return home when he was arrested. He had, he says, not taken drugs for two days in preparation for his flight to England. "I knew I was on a suicide mission and needed help soon if I wanted to live anything like a normal, healthy life. I guess I realised I would end up dead soon if I did not get myself back to the UK."

Owed money by his dealer, he visited him in a bid to collect it. It was there, he says, that he was confronted by gun-wielding police. His "friend," he says, placed eight tablets in his bag and three more in a bowl. The money he had paid to Christopher included marked police notes.

I may have heard of this case last year. The conditions in the Thai jail he's describing are commonplace in many countries. On the site www.stickmanbangkok.com , some good advice is given regarding this issue: If you know ANYBODY who is into drugs get away from them immediately.

Thailand has always been strict on drug offenses and although many laws are not enforced much here, this is one thing they don't take lightly. As Ajarn said it's hard to know what really went on without knowing all the details.

Some locals brought a man to an organisation I sometimes work for. He was looking for a place to stay and get clean.

He said that 4 girls came cooing and petting him, hands all over him. 2 minutes later they disappear as 2 policemen arrive and slap him in handcuffs. They pull out a Thai Stick (I'm not sure what that is) from his pocket and drag him off to a dark corner. Threatening and pushing him about, they finally demand 15 000 Baht for freedom. He did not have it so they got his hotel address, and all the money he had on him, with the promise to come back and pay the rest.

I sent him up country to stay in a temple.

Was he really set up. Nothing in the story rings untrue to me. But then again he is obviously wasted, and a drug addict. Still, that to me, does not mean that 'it serves him right' .

That one is a bit easier to buy, maybe, for me. I have personal direct experience with just this kind of scam.

Briefly, it involved a local motorcycle rental shop (now on Moon Muang), a Japanese tourist, and a friendly cop.

The rental shop would sometimes plant a bit of heroin on a rental bike and then call in a cop friend who would visit the guest house on the rental contract to do a friendly search of the premises. Dope was found, tourist pulled aside to be given the bottom line (Jail or everything of value you can get your hands on). The rental shop has his passport, so he knows he's in deep shit. This Japanese tourist had the balls to carry a little taprecorder in his pocket when he went back to negotiate. I heard this tape myself, so I do know the real facts in this case, which was in 1988, as I recall. The kid ended up paying some money and all his jewelry in order to get his passport back.

It seems this shop is no longer doing this, but TiT, as we all must know. It could happen to any of us, at any time. Really. Not paranoid thinking, either. Our safest bet to be happy here is to try to keep our ownselves clear of that line that crosses into any kind of underground-type of activity. And that would include basically all nighttime adult entertainment. 'Riaproy' types seem to have fewer problems...

My experience has been that I reap what I sow here. No babies yet, though. :o

These stories about the cops planting drugs on innocent people are so scary - and knowing how corrupt the cops are here I'm convinced there are more chance of that having happened than the guy actually having committet a crime.

Of course, due to the massive corruption at all levels, there is good reason to question any such arrest. None of us here will ever know for sure, so we're only stuck with our own predjudices in suggesting his guilt or innocence

Notice he's not accusing police of planting drugs on him, he's saying that the drugs may have been planted by police informers.. He also is alleged to have marked bills...

Sounds like he was involved in a sting, and is now paying the price. Too bad for his parents, but I'm not so quick to buy his story of complete innocence.

its easy to prove all he has to do is take a polygraph test to prove one way or another.

the latest computerised test is now practically foolproof .

i feel that these stories of police planting drugs are mostly 'travellers tales'

Have any countries changed their laws about polygraph tests not being admissable as evidence since these alleged "practically foolproof" computerized tests have been around? And I wonder how computers can somehow make the truth "easy to prove"...

I still think it's more like I suggested before. We can never really know the whole truth when looking in from the outside, in such a case, instead, relying more on our own predjudices. I have mine, too :o

Our safest bet to be happy here is to try to keep our ownselves clear of that line that crosses into any kind of underground-type of activity. ...

Good advice.

One other thing, because of the laws with respect to smuggling and the horrendous sentences if found in possession, I always do something I learnt from when I lived in Israel:

I always, always repack all my luggage - alone - just before I enter the airport complex.

I missed a flight once from Tel Aviv because someone had slipped a knife into one of my bag's outer pockets.

Trust no-one but yourself.

Chiang Mai Central Prison is (I think) the relatively new jail north of town. I used go there to visit the Chiang Mai Ripper when he was banged up there for three months. From his comments it appears to be a soft billet compared to other jails in Thailand. Foreign Prisoners are in a seperate dormitory and not harshly treated., visitors can bring food and books.

Stick him in one of those 18th century british jails locked in a cell with a chamber pot and a psycopath for company 23 hours a day.

Its 30k for an informant

That's quite different that what I've read or heard. Where did you get that idea from?

From what I've read and heard, most informats don't get paid anything, they do it as a hoped-for trade-off, it seems, like to pay back for not being arrested before for something. Or, if arrested, the cops will try to force them to give up their supplier, maybe through a sting...

Its 30k for an informant

That's quite different that what I've read or heard. Where did you get that idea from?

From what I've read and heard, most informats don't get paid anything, they do it as a hoped-for trade-off, it seems, like to pay back for not being arrested before for something. Or, if arrested, the cops will try to force them to give up their supplier, maybe through a sting...

I didnt get an " idea", I know 100 percent, 6 of my family are police here in Phuket :o

Some of us know, some of us guess, you work it out who is who - Khun Ajarn.

On a more positive note - although it dosn't help the Brit in custody - I had my run in with the police over three years ago. It involved guns and countefeit money.

Even my Embassy strongly urged me to skip bail and return home. I didn't and fought the charges. The case never came to court and I was a very lucky person. It was a harrowing three months on bail.

At the end of it all, I have some respect for the police who were only doing their jobs. Even got the Chief of Police's mobile number and I'm invited for dinner with his family any time. Never have taken that offer up though.

another innocent crim in jail.....gimme a break  :o  :D

I would usually agree with you, but I know of quite a few cases in Thailand, where there was drugs planted. Its 30k for an informant, anything is plausable.

Having read the story....as posted here....he was a confessed drug addict and his dealer owed him money...funny deal that...usually the other way around. Think about it.

The guy is no innocent patsy.

Like the Bali 9...one said he didnt realise that drug traffiking resulted in the death penalty in Bali....this is after months of the Corby case being reported in the media and signs all over the airport....

Crims and especially druggies will always lessen their role or make excuses when caught.

Its 30k for an informant

I didnt get an " idea", I know 100 percent, 6 of my family are police here in Phuket :o

Actually I think both of ya'll are correct. Some get paid, some don't. A figure like 30k wouldn't be involved in this type of situation. Giving an informant 30k to just get a foreign nobody in jail? Not likely. 800 Baht maybe as that's all it's really worth in political capital if even that.

It'd be more likely in a situation where there would be a sizeable payoff. 30k would be in a situation such as...10 million stolen in a gold shop robbery and the owners have agreed to give the police 2 million if they can recover the rest. We have a few policemen in our "family" too.

:D

Its 30k for an informant

I didnt get an " idea", I know 100 percent, 6 of my family are police here in Phuket :D

Actually I think both of ya'll are correct. Some get paid, some don't. A figure like 30k wouldn't be involved in this type of situation. Giving an informant 30k to just get a foreign nobody in jail? Not likely. 800 Baht maybe as that's all it's really worth in political capital if even that.

It'd be more likely in a situation where there would be a sizeable payoff. 30k would be in a situation such as...10 million stolen in a gold shop robbery and the owners have agreed to give the police 2 million if they can recover the rest. We have a few policemen in our "family" too.

no, its actually how I wrote it in my last post :o Phuket that is....

The reason they like setting up a "foreign nobody", is because it is a pay off to everyone in the end - it starts with the police, then the lawyer, then the bailer/guarantee, then the judge - it costs a lot in the end. Paying 30k is nothing to what they make over the duration of the trial.

Edited by Tornado

Its 30k for an informant

I didnt get an " idea", I know 100 percent, 6 of my family are police here in Phuket :D

The reason they like setting up a "foreign nobody", is because it is a pay off to everyone in the end - it starts with the police, then the lawyer, then the bailer/guarantee, then the judge - it costs a lot in the end. Paying 30k is nothing to what they make over the duration of the trial.

More big yarns from Tornado's "brother"! :D:D

no, its actually how I wrote it in my last post  :o Phuket that is....

"It" What payoff are you talking about? The original 30k payoff to the informant? Or some other payoff(s)?

"They" is the police? How are they making anything from having a foreign nobody in jail? In many cases, their families can't even afford to come over here, much less get a bribe put together.

no, its actually how I wrote it in my last post  :o Phuket that is....

"It" What payoff are you talking about? The original 30k payoff to the informant? Or some other payoff(s)?

"They" is the police? How are they making anything from having a foreign nobody in jail? In many cases, their families can't even afford to come over here, much less get a bribe put together.

And they know that when they arrest foreigners? We are all rich in their eyes :D - anyway Ill let you lot keep tossing it around :D

If you cant put it all together as Ive written it, your wasting all of our time.

your all right, my apologies :D

Its 30k for an informant

More big yarns from Tornado's "brother"! :D:D

you keep posting at this length and rate, you might do some damage, relax sarah :D