Report: Udon Thani Retirement Extension

Last week I went into the new Udon Thani Immigration office at the airport to get a retirement extension. Prior to that, I did a lot of searching around this forum, and brought way more stuff with me than was required.

The usual copies of passport, photos, yellow tambien baan, house rental statement from the landlord, medical form, and TM forms were required. Great folks, pleasant, chatty (in Thai, mostly, but they had enough English to tell me what I needed to know). Very easygoing, transparent, no tea money required. I noticed that other folks were just paying in 1,000 baht notes, and no problem with change. I also got a multiple re-entry stamp, good till my passport expires at the end of September. And without asking my asking or filling in the form, they stapled in the notice necessary for the 90-day report; I only had 10 days to go, saving me an additional trip.

They did say that the Embassy letter was not good for three years, so I'd have to make the trip to Bangkok again next year. Oh well, can't have everything ;-)

Less than 45 minutes (including an initial 10-minute wait), and I was on my way. Painless.

edit: missed something

Edited by noahvail

Never had a problem at the Nongkai office in 13 years. It'll be all the more convenient with a full time office in Udon. I've never offered, never been asked for, and don't honestly know anyone who's paid anything under the table. A few folks try buttering them up with coffee, donuts........but I'd prefer they not do that either. A simple wai, thank you should be enough

So it looks like the Udon officials are more easy going than in Nongkhai where they want the embassy letter (in English) notarized in Bangkok and translated into Thai language. The embassy letter is also valid just one year. But the Royal Netherlands Embassy gives this statement to you by post IF you supply annual statements from the pension companies (and payment by bank). For me no trip to Bangkok.

Regarding the embassy letter, anyone ever asked/had experience with the Bangkok Immigration Office (Chaeng Wattana/Suan Plu) how long the embassy letter is valid for? 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc. I should have asked on my Extension of Stay renewal but didn't. Good to hear the Udon Office is happy with 3 years.

Regarding the embassy letter, anyone ever asked/had experience with the Bangkok Immigration Office (Chaeng Wattana/Suan Plu) how long the embassy letter is valid for? 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc. I should have asked on my Extension of Stay renewal but didn't. Good to hear the Udon Office is happy with 3 years.

I had a letter from the British Embassy that was a year old and was told I needed a new one, I think it has to be no less than 3 months old. I had a great weekend in BK so not complaning!!

I must add that I found the immigration police at Udon very pleasant..

Short summary ext visa ‘o” marriage @ UT-office, [airport], - ugh, ugh –basically lopburi is correct, + the closed house near you [hopefully a friend], have now to taken in a separate so called intevrveiw room, behind close door]...ID etc...blah blah _ allot of new form to sign there also. So much going there today.............beware new laws are coming up - verry soon...........>

So the Immigration office is in the old airport in Udon Thani? I asked like 4 people today.and got the same reply..only one is in Nong Khai.. Hours open? I just need an extension on my tourist visa, this can be done there right??

Thanks

The immigration office is in the old terminal building at Udon Airport (there is only one airport). I suspect you did not ask the right people.

Yeah, I guess the people who advertise Visa's on their window in UT are not to hip on where to get them done locally, or a taxi driver who wanted to charge me 650baht to go to airport from Central bus station, or the travel agent where I got my photocopies of passport at... I was told by the lady who runs the Silver Reef hotel the airport was where the Immigration office was (I just wanted a full day of not being scammed by locals.) Tomorrow for sure... My first full day in UT, so I just explored by foot..