Airlines Proof Of Onward Travel

This past year, i have been hassled on 3 different occasions for a proof of onwards travel by the airline i was flying with.

I am from Holland, so the Tourist Visa Exemption applies, i start the travel in Bangkok, and on the return flight, the problems start... BA even completely refused to fly me in, unless i bought a partially refundable ticket on the spot, this cost my company 117$.

Pointing towards the MFA website doesnt help neither, as they swear that every day the THAI immigration sents them those rules, and that it specifically mentions proof of onwards travel for Tourist Visa Exemptions.

anyone else similar experiences?

Thats exactly how the airlines say it, yet when you look for this rule, it is nowhere to be found?!

it is not mentioned on the MFA's website :

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490

but for the Visa on Arrivals it is specifically mentioned:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2491

and on your site it is also not mentioned:

http://www.thaivisa.com/313.0.html

i checked also with a visa run agent, that now also on the border entries, proof of onward travel is no longer required (so they had to give up that cash cow).

Thats exactly how the airlines say it, yet when you look for this rule, it is nowhere to be found?!

i checked also with a visa run agent, that now also on the border entries, proof of onward travel is no longer required (so they had to give up that cash cow).

What if you bus,train or walk out? :D:):D:D

It is covered in the Q&A section on the MFA's website here.

Q: I would like to go to Thailand for vacation for 2 weeks. I hold American passport. Do I need a visa?

A: Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days. Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to

at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

aha,

so it is in the FAQ, but not in the actual part that handles the rules, but the other 2 requirements are mentioned in the rules, the only thing that isnt there is the return trip!

in all the times that i entered thailand, immigration has never asked me for onward travel

Immigration tend to rely on the airlines to 'police' the regulation, but can ask for sight of outbound ticket on arrival if entering on visa exempt entry. The reason why the airlines tend to stick to the rules is because if you are denied entry into the Kingdom the airline will be fined and will have to pick up the costs to repatriate you.

Below is exactly what the airline will see on there computer. Have highlighted important information for your travel.

/ 28DEC09 / 0845 UTC

National Netherlands (NL) /Destination Thailand (TH)

Thailand (TH)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months upon arrival.

Visa required, except for A touristic stay of max. 30 days:

- for holders of normal passports, being nationals of

Netherlands;

Additional Information:

- All passports must be in good condition.

- Those travelling to Thailand with a visa issued prior to

arrival, are permitted to travel on a one-way ticket.

- All visitors must hold documents required for their next

destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age must hold sufficient funds to

cover their stay (at least THB 20,000.- or USD 640.- per

person/family). For details, click here

- Applicable to those who do not need a visa:

For details, click here

Warning:

- Non-compliance with visa requirements will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of the passenger; and

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000.-; and

- overstay fine for the passenger of THB 500.- per day (but

not exceeding in total THB 20,000.-).

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - UNITED KINGDOM: NATIONAL IDENTITY CARDS

Timaticweb Version 1.3

28 December 2009

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

Below is exactly what the airline will see on there computer. Have highlighted important information for your travel.
/ 28DEC09 / 0845 UTC

National Netherlands (NL) /Destination Thailand (TH)

Thailand (TH)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months upon arrival.

Visa required, except for A touristic stay of max. 30 days:

- for holders of normal passports, being nationals of

Netherlands;

Additional Information:

- All passports must be in good condition.

- Those travelling to Thailand with a visa issued prior to

arrival, are permitted to travel on a one-way ticket.

- All visitors must hold documents required for their next

destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age must hold sufficient funds to

cover their stay (at least THB 20,000.- or USD 640.- per

person/family). For details, click here

- Applicable to those who do not need a visa:

For details, click here

Warning:

- Non-compliance with visa requirements will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of the passenger; and

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000.-; and

- overstay fine for the passenger of THB 500.- per day (but

not exceeding in total THB 20,000.-).

Timaticweb Version 1.3

28 December 2009

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

thanks for that,

what does it show when you "click here" on "applicable for those who do not need a visa:

Thailand (TH)

Additional Information:

- Applicable to those who do not need a visa: (restriction to

a total of 90 days stay in Thailand within any 6 month

period;

- extension of stay is possible, provided not exceeding the

90 days within any 6 month period restriction. One photo

required.

EDIT fixed the 'additional information' quote. Crossy

Edited by Crossy

what does it show when you "click here" on "applicable for those who do not need a visa:
Thailand (TH)

Additional Information:

- Applicable to those who do not need a visa: (restriction to

a total of 90 days stay in Thailand within any 6 month

period;

- extension of stay is possible, provided not exceeding the

90 days within any 6 month period restriction. One photo

required.

EDIT fixed the 'additional information' quote. Crossy

Rather worrying that the 'Additional Information' is out of date :)

Two comments from me;

OP, If it cost 'your company' 117$, then you are implying you were on a business trip, not a tourist, and therefore, should have paid for a business visa anyway... if you get your visa in advance you do not need an onward journey ticket.

I was recently stopped at check-in in Sydney... I had return tickets for the rest of the family, but not for me...

I have a special permission due to an agreement between the Aus & Thai Gov't that allows me 3 months visa exemption on arrival... no help, the check-in girl said I would still need to show proof I was flying home in 3 months... I then told her I was travelling to Laos for an unknown period, and would buy a ticket when I knew my plans, no dice... she said unless I had a Visa for Laos, I still needed proof of a return flight...

I ended up logging in on my laptop, buying an open ticket, showing her the booking code on the screen, and then running for the flight with 2 young kids and my elderly mother... not a good way to start a holiday for them...

I travel to Thailand regularly and 50% of the time don't have a return ticket, I have never shown immigration a ticket, and have never been questioned about my plans beyond what I write on the arrival card...

I understand it is just arse covering by the airlines, but it is a major hassle if you genuinely don't know your plans, especially when I am allowed to stay for upto 3 months...

Cheers,

Daewoo

well, i was at that same airport as you were, and it was the same hassle. i assume you were flying Qantas/BA. some other airlines are more forthcoming and just make a reservation that is automatically cancelled later, unless you confirm you want the ticket.

My business lies outside of Thailand, so yes, it cost my company money because they are paying for getting me back home after work, hence a B Visa does not apply.

well, i was at that same airport as you were, and it was the same hassle. i assume you were flying Qantas/BA.

Actually it was Jetstar (different reservations system to QF)... Only direct flight to Phuket for the family holiday part of the trip... I had read on here the Jetstar did this to a guy leaving BNE, but didn't think too much about it... worst possible time of course, whole family in tow...

Don't blame them if Thai Immig actually does deport/refuse people, but still a major hassle at the time...

Cheers,

Daewoo

All I can tell you is that I always knew it. I don't remember how I learned it, but I knew it since my first trip back in 1987. It's not exactly a secret.

Until I moved here on retirement, I always had a round-trip ticket. So, I was never asked by the airlines (usually Northwest). However, twice out of maybe 18 trips I was asked at immigration here in Thailand.

When I came earlier this year on a "retirement visa" I was asked by the airlines since it was not a round-trip ticket.

I had to purchase a one way ticket to Saigon from BKK to keep United Airlines happy earlier this month upon my return to the realm from the Excited States.. I have a O-A visa extension and mulitple reentry permit and showed documents that I did reside in TH, but they still insisted.

Life's little pleasures...

How sad that you are "hassled" so horribly to follow the law.

maybe i am overly stubborn on this, but for me, the law is what it says in the links i posted.

I abided by the requirements set forth in the page specifically written for that purpose, perhaps they forgot to add it however, let us not forget that right now, at the border, the immigration officers are letting people into thailand without a visa, and without the bus ticket back to cambo.

If the law was not changed, then why did this procedure change? did they stop asking for the bus tickets for fun? they decided they were to tired to perform this money grab?

If we have to start extracting laws out of QA's that were written ages ago, then what else is next?

The law has not changed on having onward travel - what did change is the time allowed in country is now only 15 days so not worth the effort to check everyone and allows real travelers to chose there travel. They could request such paperwork - just as they could request a show of funds. But this thread is about airlines and enforcement and they have to protect themselves. If you do not have outbound tickets within 30 days have a visa.