Speedboat Sinks Near Koh Samui

webfact

Yes, well, I can't say that I've ever heard of any regularly scheduled speedboat trips between Don Sak and Samui, hence the question. Given that I've lived on an island for 20 years and my husband has owned a boat for those 20 I do have an inkling of how they work by now :)

While I don't know the boat in question, only that it's described as a speedboat, it can develop its own high wave area. In my younger days (cripes I'm sounding older all the time) I used to take prop boats and later jet boats out on a ski lake. We'd crack the whip three or four times consecutively, setting up a nice wave pattern. The at a relatively slow speed, cut through the circle assymetrically. then get out of the circle, crank it around, give it full throttle, and get it airborne across the top of those 2-metre waves. Bonus points if the skiers or wakeboarders could still be upright. Not the smartest move, I grant you...several others tring to mimc my shenanigans dumped their boats...a bit painful, and more than a bit expensive. But we ended up with a few who could make the jumps consistenly.

Just putting it out as a possibility...pure conjecture. Could have been a rogue wave too. I'm just glad everybody got rescued with minor bumps and bruises.

And for you folks who want licensing and testing of the boats and drivers....time for another crackdown!

Yes, well, I can't say that I've ever heard of any regularly scheduled speedboat trips between Don Sak and Samui, hence the question. Given that I've lived on an island for 20 years and my husband has owned a boat for those 20 I do have an inkling of how they work by now :)

I'm sorry! Was an easy joke ,ok! But what i wanted you to write is what you just wrote : ' any regularly scheduled speedboat trips between Don Sak and Samui''

Just tell me : where did you read that?

Regards.

Well, according to some friends who work for one of the popular sea tour companies, here on Samui, the water was quite rough coming back from Koh Toa today... It really seems to show that calm waters in one area can be rough in another, not so far away.

The other thing I will add, is that this company (Thai Owned) keeps their boats, in top notch condition, even painting them twice a year... & regular engine maintenance.... and they are firm about not overloading boats, in fact, during the Full Moon Party runs, there are Coast guard employees who make sure they are not over loaded.

I know too, that all the crew can swim & life jackets close at hand.... I just had to add that, for the sake of the :) Thai bashers...

Edited by samuijimmy

I have seen 2 meter waves coming ashore on Samui, but not this week.

I see nothing wrong with again calling for better regulation of commercial marine piloting.

It is not an aspersions to state the obvious. And yes I know several qualified marine pilots

who can't touch the controls because of protective Thai laws, and silently watch an inept 'Captain'

act dangerously, and/or mai bpen rai madly, and have no recourse. They can't touch the controls.

I have also ridden with Thai pilots of good quality and prudence... I always wish there were more like them.

Edited by animatic

High Waves? I just took the 14.30 had rin queen ferry from koh phangan back to samui and the sea was very calm.
The sea is very calm around Samui today

Does the Gulf of Thailand get high waves? I guess it depends on one's definition of high waves. High waves don't bode well for Bkk's future.

Glad the survivors kept cool heads and could tread water and/or swim. If they were Asian passengers, they'd be less likely to have had a 100% survival rate. Moral to this story: teach your kids to swim.

Hey man LOVELY response !!!!!

Are you FAMILIAR with RACISM by any chance, even PREJUDICE for that matter. Which if you are not FAMILIAR, DOES play a part of modern Thai (THAILAND) society ............

Ooh thats not good. Was it one of the dive boats?

Yeah, it was one of those "dive" speedboats!

LOL! <_<

ONE, wouldn't SUPPOSE you are ONE of VERY MANY who arrived here in Thailand with 'Banana Boat Airways' for Christmas !!!! Happy New Year Year .......

NO FURTHER COMMENT

CAVEAT: That LOADED comment is by NO means meant for the VERY DECENT TOURISTS, of which ONE is sure their ARE VERY, VERY MANY, enjoy yah .....

Edited by fongvin

The other thing I will add, is that this company (Thai Owned) keeps their boats, in top notch condition, even painting them twice a year... & regular engine maintenance.... and they are firm about not overloading boats, in fact, during the Full Moon Party runs, there are Coast guard employees who make sure they are not over loaded.

I know too, that all the crew can swim & life jackets close at hand.... I just had to add that, for the sake of the Thai bashers...

hence no deaths, and it is great to see a company sticking to simple rules to keep passengers safe

LOL! :)

ONE, wouldn't SUPPOSE you are ONE of SOME who arrived here in Thailand with 'Banana Boat Charters' !!!! If so, Happy New Year Year .......

CAVEAT: That LOADED comment is by NO means meant for the VERY DECENT TOURISTS, of which ONE is sure their ARE VERY, VERY MANY, enjoy yah .....

COMMENT ended !!!!!!

Edited by fongvin

LOL! :)

ONE, wouldn't SUPPOSE you are ONE of VERY MANY who arrived here in Thailand with 'Banana Charters' for Christmas !!!! Happy New Year Year ...

NO FURTHER COMMENT

High Waves? I just took the 14.30 had rin queen ferry from koh phangan back to samui and the sea was very calm.

Does the Gulf of Thailand get high waves? I guess it depends on one's definition of high waves. High waves don't bode well for Bkk's future.

Glad the survivors kept cool heads and could tread water and/or swim. If they were Asian passengers, they'd be less likely to have had a 100% survival rate. Moral to this story: teach your kids to swim.

Gee! must have been a BIG speed boat to have 8 Passengers and 2 others. Maybe overloaded?????????????????????????????????????????

Gee! must have been a BIG speed boat to have 8 Passengers and 2 others. Maybe overloaded?????????????????????????????????????????

Er?What? Many of the speedboats around these parts are licensed for 30 pax.

The boats are about 35 feet long and are powered by 2 or 3 200+hp outboards giving them speeds in excess of 35 knots.

It's the speed that can be a problem, particularly if they hit something in the water.

Glad they all survived.

Do your inklings embrace 'private charter'?

It is a shame that like a lot of things in LOS a person takes their life and puts it in someone elses hands. I went for the last time on a newly built speedboat (plywood) was grossly over powered and over crowded. life jackets too small for falung.

The boat all shiny and new could not keep up with the older speed boats as at the equivalent speed was highly unstable and the driver although desperate to keep up with the other boats had at a certain speed to back off to stabilize the boat. Time and time again he continued to do this (ring a bell to anyone ) I am glad that it was a calm day as I would say that in rough conditions the boat may have capsized. Being a boaty myself I could estimate that someone would not have survived especially the children Thai and falung as were many on board. Krabi to Phi Phi

It is a shame that like a lot of things in LOS a person takes their life and puts it in someone elses hands. I went for the last time on a newly built speedboat (plywood) was grossly over powered and over crowded. life jackets too small for falung.

The boat all shiny and new could not keep up with the older speed boats as at the equivalent speed was highly unstable and the driver although desperate to keep up with the other boats had at a certain speed to back off to stabilize the boat. Time and time again he continued to do this (ring a bell to anyone ) I am glad that it was a calm day as I would say that in rough conditions the boat may have capsized. Being a boaty myself I could estimate that someone would not have survived especially the children Thai and falung as were many on board. Krabi to Phi Phi

Old cliche: you get what you pay for. There are (lots of) thai companies who don't overcrowd, have good safe boats and captains and good service. But they are more expensive. Why on earth would that be? The problem is; you only know of these things after you joined.

Hey man LOVELY response !!!!!

Are you FAMILIAR with RACISM by any chance, even PREJUDICE for that matter. Which if you are not FAMILIAR, DOES play a part of modern Thai (THAILAND) society ............

I'm not sure if you are accusing "brahmburgers" of racism because of the suggestion that less people here are well skilled in basic swimming techniques than some developed world countries??? :) I think he/she is just trying to say that every child should be taught to be competent at swimming. Though I understand the way it is written is perhaps not the nicest way to put it! :D

I find large number of Thais (and not just this country) have a huge number of adults that cannot swim. I don't see Thai government schools taking kids to the swimming pool for 2 weeks of swimming lessons every year, or at least regular swimming lessons throughout all years (though maybe someone can refute this or not???). Though I didn't like it when I was a kid to do regular swimming classes as part of the curriculum, I do see that there are a lot less drownings in Australia with local nationals. In fact statistically, most beach drownings there are oft from tourists unused to heavy surf with limited swimming skills from other countries.

Seriously just because a poster suggests that more Asians should teach children to learn to swim should not be considered a racist response. Statistically the reality is here that nowhere near 100% of Asians are effective swimmers and I feel it is a good suggestion to improve teaching swimming to especially children though I might add to all people in general as well, not just children. This could be accomplished by an effective media campaign with improved educational standards including swimming for all Thais in government schools as part of their national curriculum.

Problem is a lot of hi-so don't even go near the water to swim much as it is seen as a low class activity, :D rather they prefer to sit by the beach in fancy resorts and be waited upon by the rest of Thai society who are there (of course) to serve them. Why I mention this is, unfortunately these people are the ones in power that have the ability to make change, whether it be for better regulation in safety or improved swimming courses in schools and if they don't feel a need for change; then I can guarantee nothing will change here for a long time and safety will still continue to be a NON-priority in Thailand and not just in this case but sadly across the board.

Edited by fiercesnake

I was out there on my own boat, a big 70 foot boat at the time of the accident.

The weather was bit overcast, big waves, yes 3M and very strong winds. That small little boat should not even attempted to be at sea, but T I T. I see this all the time at Racha Yai, Phi Phi, Phang Nha bay etc.