True Adsl And Phone Lines

welo

After talking to the true call center and visiting a local truemove 'outpost' in the neighborhood (Samut Prakan) I'm still confused whether and how my friend can get true ADSL or not.

I know how ADSL basically works and that the company connecting the phone line isn't necessarily the company that provides the 'internet connection'.

Can somebody enlighten me how true usually handles a new setup where no phone line is connected to the house (single family house) but phone cable, probably TOT(?), is present in the street.

I got different and confusing statements from the hotline as well as my local true 'office' (=sales booth).

Hotline first said they don't provide ADSL internet in that area, but then talked about another option to establish an ADSL connection. The lady wouldn't give any details, but said the connection would still be setup by true and it is also a phone cable that is used. She told me to visit a local true office to check whether this option is available in that area.

Went to a sales booth in Tesco and the lady took note of the address to have it checked by the 'true office'. Couldn't give me the number of the office. Said something about requiring a phone line from TOT for 100 THB a month.

Is true now offering ADSL over other companies' phone lines? I doubt it. Anybody knows what this 'second option' could be? I assume everything depends whether true is already 'connected' to the telephone exchange in that area. Any ideas and/or specific experience?

Thx,

welo

At least here in Chiang Mai. Why go to true move???

You get the ADSL connection either thru TOT or TTT. Here TTT is a better option.

And you don't need a telephone number. The ADLS connection IS thru the phone line, as said, you do not need a phone number. Give TOT or TTT a call and you might get free installation if you sign up for a year subscription to ADSL. It's true the phone line/number only costs 100 baht a month - that's standard throughout Thailand.

You get the ADSL connection either thru TOT or TTT. Here TTT is a better option.

And you don't need a telephone number. The ADLS connection IS thru the phone line, as said, you do not need a phone number. Give TOT or TTT a call and you might get free installation if you sign up for a year subscription to ADSL. It's true the phone line/number only costs 100 baht a month - that's standard throughout Thailand.

So, are you saying that we can get naked broadband in LoS? That would be great. I'd go for that one.

You might just want to get the phone line anyway; with VAT added you only pay 107 Baht per month assuming you make no calls. The ADSL work on the phone line...you can make/receive calls while interneting...etc. Each outgoing call costs you a couple of baht but incoming calls are free. Sure can come in handy to send a fax, make a call when the cell connection ain't working, in an emergency, etc. Expect any initial hookup fee for DSL only or phone number with DSL would be about the same...I could be wrong.

Edited by Pib

I was told I cannot get TOT internet without the 100 THB for the phone line. However, I would rather save the 1200 THB since I don't even have a phone connected.

About TOT vs TT&T vs TRUE

This is greater Bangkok area where I think true offers better broadband service from what I read on the board here. I have a TOT line (outside Bangkok in the woods) and I am not happy with it.

TRUE currently runs a nice promotion where you get TV for free (limited channels though) when you sign up for any BASIC internet package.

Back to my original question.. Can anybody give me hints on how to interpret the TRUE hotline's statement?

In case there is no phone line in a building, does TRUE connect the cable themselves or do they only rent services from TOT/TT&T?

welo

You can not use the Internet on a phone line without a phone number! The line fee is THB 107 per month. (100 + VAT). TOT has bad Internet. TT&T is better.