How To Stay In Thailand For Several Years, Without Working

If you were considering an ED visa then do consider Walen School in your list too, with 4 schools in Thailand and the greatest number of students on ED visas we are an undisputed leader among Thai schools. Also our method teaches the language much faster (for those who want to learn).

With non-O you still have to leave the country every 90 days ( if not based on marriage extension), making visa runs after a short time is pain in the butt, exhausting, plus expensive and also every year you need to figure out how to get a new one (non-O), sorry whatchamacallit but if he thinks about staying here long term this advice you give is not the best, ED visa is a much better option.

Walen School - No more visa problems.

www.thaiwalen.com (the best selling Thai school)

I think all of this is not correct, you don't have to leave the country, only report to Immigration Office,

nosatisfeaction.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can send yourself more than 40,000 baht monthly and marry your Thai girlfriend which is pretty easy to do in any Amphur office, then you can get a Non Immigrant "O" Visa based on supporting your Thai wife.

You do need to get all your paperwork in order and some sort of official "looking" letter from "your employers" abroad that send you your money every month.

I don't know which country you're from but I send myself money from my UK bank monthly into my Thai account for the same reason. It's quite simple to set up a standing order "until further notice" but I had to do this before I left the UK. I cannot do it online or anything like that. I had to physically go in the bank myself and fill out the necessary forms. It costs me £28 per month for this service which is probably the same cost as it would be to take money from an ATM machine with my UK bank card.

You'd have to come here 1st, get married, then leave the country and go to Laos or somewhere to obtain a non immigrant "O" based on marriage. Then when you come back you need to go to your embassy with proof of income and get a letter from them to show to immigration. You need other paperwork and all the info is on Thaivisa.com but it is possible to get this yearly visa so you don't have to keep leaving the country every 3 months

Good luck!!!

that is correct , except you have to sign a document , in case of e.g. Divorce your Visa is not VALID anymore

nosatisfaction

If you were considering an ED visa then do consider Walen School in your list too, with 4 schools in Thailand and the greatest number of students on ED visas we are an undisputed leader among Thai schools. Also our method teaches the language much faster (for those who want to learn).

With non-O you still have to leave the country every 90 days ( if not based on marriage extension), making visa runs after a short time is pain in the butt, exhausting, plus expensive and also every year you need to figure out how to get a new one (non-O), sorry whatchamacallit but if he thinks about staying here long term this advice you give is not the best, ED visa is a much better option.

Walen School - No more visa problems.

www.thaiwalen.com (the best selling Thai school)

I think all of this is not correct, you don't have to leave the country, only report to Immigration Office,

nosatisfeaction.

Macwalen is correct, If you hold Non-O visa you will have to do border run at least every 90 days. Only if on extension of stay would you do 90 day reporting, and can stay in country whilst permission to stay is valid.

Is it realistic to stay in Thailand for several years, under these circumstances? QUOTE

In a nutshell - at your age why get married?

think about it

sit down think of the possibilities

1 a cashed up young single man in Thailand

2 a married man in Thailand (dont forget your marrying the whole family and they will make considerable efforts to extract loose change from your pockets. Mum sick Dad sick buffalo sick, on and on and on

3 a married man with kids plus the above

4 a bar fly

5 buy that beauty salon for the misses or that massage parlour to make big money or that bar thats going cheap and with your skills you can turn it around.

wake up - 2 - 7 years here - wow thats a life time of experiences

i tell everyone who comes here to earn your first stripe and that takes 5 years. But they never listen. 10 years down the track they do.

remember the old song one night in bangkok makes a hard man crumble chok dee

The round trip flight from KL to Perth ONLY 6,500 baht ???? This must be a big mistake ! if you would say 6,500 Malaysian Ringit i can agree ! i just checked on the AirAsia website.....

Sorry to dissapoint you HOOD Robin: I have no reason to lie to you nor anyone. I posted the right information based on my last trip from Bangkok to KL to Perth (and return).

Here is a copy of my Air Asia Ticket from KL to Perth...

Notice the total fare for 2 passengers is: 1262 Ringgit which is equal to: 1262 MY X 9.09 bht = 11,471 baht.

So the cost for a round trip ticket from KL to Perth for 1 person is: 11,471 / 2 = 5,735 baht.

I also paid in advance for my meal, assigned seating, and check-in luggage.

post-47610-1262520232_thumb.jpg

FYI: I also got two round trip ticket from Bangkok to Yangoon for free, zero, nada, ziltch.... all I have to pay for is the airport tax - do you want me to show it to you :)

Your best bet, the ED visa to study Thai. You could easily stay 2 years on that one, 7 would be a stretch. You have to attend an approved school and study Thai, but the required hours are not many.

Not too long ago I read on the website of one of the legal companies in Thailand that having 400K in s Thai bank account does not qualify for a marriage visa any longer, but min. monthly income of 40K has to be shown. Not working here but being married to a Thai thus would not qualify for a (family) visa anymore. Hence back to school!? :)

Not too long ago I read on the website of one of the legal companies in Thailand that having 400K in s Thai bank account does not qualify for a marriage visa any longer, but min. monthly income of 40K has to be shown. Not working here but being married to a Thai thus would not qualify for a (family) visa anymore. Hence back to school!? :)

That information is not correct. The financial requirements for applying for extension of stay based on marriage to Thai are either 400k in Thai bank for appropriate period or 40k/month income.

Police Order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

For the OP's consideration just in case money and time is a factor in trying to decide between ED and Non-O Multi visas.

I've been staying here for the past 3 years on Non-O with multi entries - doing visa runs every 90 days.

Below is a breakdown of my cost to stay here in Thailand for up to 15 months each time I renew my Non-O Visa:

My last Visa Trip from Bangkok to Perth.

Bangkok to KL round trip with Air Asia.......... 5,600 baht

KL to Perth round trip with Air Asia............... 6,500 baht

2 nights at Travellodge Perth...................... 3,900 baht (Actually I stayed at Crowne Plaza which is more expensive)

4 times visa runs @ 2000 baht.................... 8,000 baht

===========

Total 24,000 baht

Of course the above total cost of 24,000 baht may vary depending on airlines and hotel, etc.

The visa frees me up as I don't have to attend school, although if I want to I can. At this time in my life I don't want the responsibility of having to be any place 3 days a week every week. Therefore this Non-O visa suits my lifestyle much better.

Ooops... don't forget the Cost of the Visa itself charged by the Thai Consulate: $175 USD (?)

I have a grave mistrust of Thai banks, and a slightly less grave one of the UK embassie's reasons for wanting me to register with them, before they will issue the letter of income, in order for me to obtain any extensions i will need. I am talking about a visa based on retirement...either originally issued by Hull, or one thats been "upgraded" from a tourist visa.

Would the above method be allowed/accepted by Immigration, when both returning to Thailand after obtaining a fresh visa, or doing the border runs?

Penkoprod

Hull can not issue a retirement visa (long stay OA). What you would get from them is a multi entry non immigrant O visa that allows 90 days stays. That would allows combined time of about 15 months before a new visa would have to be obtained.

Hull can not issue a retirement visa (long stay OA). What you would get from them is a multi entry non immigrant O visa that allows 90 days stays. That would allows combined time of about 15 months before a new visa would have to be obtained.

Somone told me they can only issue those visas in Hull to British nationals? Also, what is the procedure if applying in Hull? Come there one day, with no specific documents required, fill the application there, receive it the next day, or?

Hull issies to non-UK nationals, but would like you to be staying in the UK or at lest within the EU when you apply for the visa. You cna apply by post and have it back within 3 working days if you use express mail option, but they don't send back outside the UK or at least the EU.

Hull can not issue a retirement visa (long stay OA)...

Somone told me they can only issue those visas in Hull to British nationals?...

The honorary consuls in the UK are not currently allowed issue the non-OA visa even to UK nationals and most honorary consuls elsewhere in the world are also not currently allowed to issue this type of visa. (The honorary consul in Hawaii is one exception I have seen mentioned)

--

Maestro

But you can stipulate on the O (NOT long stay OA) visa that its issuing if for the purpose of retirement?

Or would that be for people over the retirement age in UK, currently 65 years old?

From the Hull website:

Category "O" visit friends/family, for extended stay in Thailand, visit as UK pensioner, to work as a volunteer,

attend training course (teaching English, scuba diving, etc) and to seek work/employment. This

category does not allow paid or unpaid employment without a work permit.

Just out of interest, who DOES issue the long stay O-A, if not Hull etc?

Penkoprod

The "O" visa is issued for "Other" reasons (not work, education, tourist and such) so yes it is often issued to those over the age of 50 to retire or check retirement options. Often it is only issued in a single entry for 90 days version and if you decide to stay you extend your stay at Immigration using the normal financial means tests.

The "O" visa is issued for "Other" reasons (not work, education, tourist and such) so yes it is often issued to those over the age of 50 to retire or check retirement options. Often it is only issued in a single entry for 90 days version and if you decide to stay you extend your stay at Immigration using the normal financial means tests.

So its a case of making your mind up within the 90 days, and commiting to whatever financial method you choose? There is no option to do border runs, as there would be for someone under 50? What about someone over 50 "visiting friends or family?

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

Your best bet, the ED visa to study Thai. You could easily stay 2 years on that one, 7 would be a stretch. You have to attend an approved school and study Thai, but the required hours are not many.

where can I find a good school to study english??

my wife comes from nakhon ratchasima and her actual village is Bankao near pak Thong Chai

If you obtain a multi entry age does not matter - most people would not obtain any kind of non immigrant O visa under age 50 without a marriage or child.

I can understand that, but i was/am looking at it from the point of view of someone OVER age 50 that doesnt put a lot of trust in Thai banks, and also doesnt want to register with the UK embassy. Can a person in that position use the "whatchamacallit" method for as long as possible, until such times as either the visa renewal starts to become problematical, or pressure is put on the person by Immigration to get a visa based on retirement. In other words until he HAS to either deposit 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank, or register with UK embassy, to get the necessary proof of income letter.

Penkoprod

You can use any method "as long as possible".

We are not fortune tellers - there are currently no fixed restrictions if the Consulate will issue the visa - but there are a number of unknowns so nobody can tell you next year it will be the same as this year.

If you obtain a multi entry age does not matter - most people would not obtain any kind of non immigrant O visa under age 50 without a marriage or child.

SO, in regards to the OP's original question:

I have occasionally seen theories on these boards as to the possibility of getting a NON IMM O,(12 months multiple entry?) for someone NOT of retirement age and NOT married, based on the reason of "going to visit friends"

OR in his case (and mine) going to visit a prospective future partner with the possibility of marriage on the cards.

Some have said a letter with the girls ID and other such information is needed.

SO, does anyone know firsthand whether this scenario would be accepted for the non IM O?

I have heard that this is possible if applying at Perth, but im sure the OP would also like to know of first hand incidences or someone who knows for sure as there seems to be some conjecture over back to back double entries from Laos (red stamps ect)

SO, in regards to the OP's original question:

I have occasionally seen theories on these boards as to the possibility of getting a NON IMM O,(12 months multiple entry?) for someone NOT of retirement age and NOT married, based on the reason of "going to visit friends"

There is enough evidence in threads on this and other forums to indicate; using a "user friendly" honorary thai consulate as opposed to the 'official thai embassy' can yield much better results.

Hull in the UK, Perth in Oz, both will issue the year long, multi-entry, Non-Immigrant, Type O visas for the purpose of 'visiting friends in thailand'. Neither consulate cares one iota about the age of the applicant.

While I defer to the poster known as “lopburi3” and his wisdom concerning visas for thailand; I do believe the term "most people" in the above quoted post is a slight exaggeration. I believe it would be better to state, most thai consulates and/or embassies are reticient to issue Non-O year long visas.

However, nearly ANYONE who applies at either of the consulates previously mentioned (Hull, Perth) will receive the coveted year long visa (which is subject to permissions of stay for 90 days at a time in-country). If Perth is indeed asking for a copy of someone's thai I/D card to issuse the year long multi-O, with a population of over 65+ million people, it shouldn't be that hard to get someone to "invite" you here for a visit.

An email to either consulate would certainly garner the answers you seek.

Royal Thai Consulate General - Perth; [email protected]

Royal Thai Consulate - Hull; [email protected]

FWIW: I know more people of more nationalities than I care to count who are; NOT over 50, have NO thai children, are NOT married, were not 'invited' to visit by thai nationals, and yet have the Non-O Multi from Hull. You would be hard pressed to find a more "user friendly" Thai consulate in the entire world than Hull.

(edited 4 sa-pelling :) )

Edited by tod-daniels

Well thanks to toddaniels for clearing that up, on my behalf anyway, and im sure the info would also be helpful to the OP or anyone else in that position.

Regarding Lopburi3's post in question,Ive always banked 100% on guys like him and having had a massive 27000 posts to his name you'd have to assume he knows exactly what hes talkin about :)

Still, you can understand how people can get a little confused with what seems like a conflicting opinion when one piece of wording can throw a slightly different slant on things.

I guess thats why i also like to run things by Mario and Lite beer (awesome dudes) to make things that extra bit water tight :D

It is a bit puzzling why only Perth would offer this service and not other embassies around Oz?

Another poster stated that all the same visas were available in all capital cities, so maybe Perth is just singled out on here because of its closer proximity for flying to Thailand?

Next guess would be to wonder whether a visa can be arranged and passport sent to and from the East Coast of Australia instead of having to physically go to Perth?

Safe yourself the headache, time and money - just get a 12 month Non-O with multiple entries. No proof of income is necessary just a letter from your girlfriend and copy of her ID. Yes you have to do border runs every 90 days - if you leave and re-enter Thailand on/or before your visa expires, you'll get another 90 days.

If after 15 months of stay - you're still with your girlfriend - then go ahead and marry her :)

no letter or copy of id from your girlfriend is required,just sign the self certify form pay your money and away you go...the easiest option by far for you now.