Israeli Electrocuted To Death In Thailand

churchill

Tragic. Sorry for the young man's life. Even more sorry for his family. BUT, ACCIDENT it was not!

Never mind the sign 'No swimming after 6pm'... NOBODY in Thailand gives a dam_n about enforcing the rules/laws. They are cheap copies, 'same-same' but not the same as the western laws/rules.

What cable was it? From where? For what? Why over or near the pool? Was it installed by a qualified Electrician? etc. etc. etc. Which means that the Insurer of the resort will not pay. (Not that it matters, but...)

TIT for that!

My heart is heavy with grief for thee, young man.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fresh water does not really conduct electricity that well, the cleaner the less risk. If it was a saltwater pool, then it is a complete different case. Just a slight ingress of salt will increase the conductivity very fast. To pull out a cable that is wet, is not really that dangerous as the water is broken up on the surface of the cable as it is hauled up and if you are wearing rubber flippers you are safe.

Assuming somebody pulled the plug before pulling the cable. Now a good advice, install a "safety-cut" or similar device that will cut the power if the current in each pole is not equal, meaning a conduction to ground somewhere. This is a very cheap life-insurance that have saved my butt many times!

:):D :D

friends and booze...

drunken

let my guess.. one of his 'friends' just wanted to see what would happen if he trown in an electrical cable

strange how an electrical cable can just fall... as they are not supposed to be anywhere near a pool, day or night...

maybe somebody tossed in a latern or something

A cable connected to a pool-cleaning machine fell into the water, and though Soriano's friends were also swimming, he was the only one electrocuted.

"His friends were in the pool with him, but he was closest to the wire," said Dobri, who had spoken earlier with Soriano's friends. "So Ariel took the brunt of the shock. And it took them about a minute to get out of the pool, because they had to disconnect the electricity; it didn't turn off automatically, so they couldn't touch the side of the pool."

friends and booze...

drunken

let my guess.. one of his 'friends' just wanted to see what would happen if he trown in an electrical cable

strange how an electrical cable can just fall... as they are not supposed to be anywhere near a pool, day or night...

Umm... what the hel_l is wrong with you?

Without making any conclusions as to the culpability of any party, and at the risk of getting flamed and attacked by the belligerent bashers, I'd like to pose a few questions and observations:

We have the word of one witness that "suddenly a cable fell". He then dived in to rescue the victim despite a live cable being in the water?

Was there only one person actually in the pool at the time? If not, why only one victim?

Unless the cable was attached to some light or appliance that also fell in, or was severely frayed, it should have been insulated, and not able to electrocute anyone.

What was the cable for? Was it only put up at night to provide lighting, or was it a permanent fixture, but only turned on at night? If so, the notice about no swimming at night could be relevant.

There are more facts to be had from this, but let's not waste time. Call the mob with the burning torches and pitch forks now.

I just love the way you guys all jump to conclusions

why dont you wait to hear the full story?

Personally I think its a shocking story that a young man is dead. Bit I would go running off blaming anyone or the resort just yet. Normally the pool would shut down at 10pm - then its unsupervised.

I also think that its not on that the pool was full of drunking people at 4 am.

As a local thai policeman told me once - if you werent here then it wouldnt have happened.

Think about it

A cable connected to a pool-cleaning machine fell into the water, and though Soriano's friends were also swimming, he was the only one electrocuted.

"His friends were in the pool with him, but he was closest to the wire," said Dobri, who had spoken earlier with Soriano's friends. "So Ariel took the brunt of the shock. And it took them about a minute to get out of the pool, because they had to disconnect the electricity; it didn't turn off automatically, so they couldn't touch the side of the pool."

This was posted as i was composing my earlier post and I didn't see it. It does provide more information, but do you have a link or source?

friends and booze...

drunken

It's sad no matter how it happened, but maybe people are jumping to conclusions about responsibility. Perhaps the cable was some sort of extension cord. Drinking, partying, swimming, I cannot imagine there was not also music. Probably running off electricity from some place. Sad irregardless, and I feel so for his family - I think about my own son and how it would hit me.

Granuaile

Would love to know the name of this so called resort.

I also would like to know the name of the Resort; these are the time I wished you can sue the business for negligent. It is sad but may make the business to be more careful and not to take chances with other people lives. Least we can do is to boycott the Resort and make them pay

Surprise, surprise - not reported by The Nation or the Bangkok Post - had to be picked up by a foreign news source.

This country disgusts me sometimes. These kinds of things happen all the time and never get reported on.

Surprise, surprise, also - No mention either of the FIVE Thai teenagers killed in our Tambon due to three separate motorcycle accidents during the last two days!

friends and booze...

drunken

Umm... what the hel_l is wrong with you?

He is just being an apologist.

Sad story and RIP to the young man.

Would love to know the name of this so called resort.

I also would like to know the name of the Resort; these are the time I wished you can sue the business for negligent. It is sad but may make the business to be more careful and not to take chances with other people lives. Least we can do is to boycott the Resort and make them pay

Name has already been posted

friends and booze...

drunken

Without the full story something like this is possible. The story says 'an electric cable', not an main electric cable provided by the power company or the resort. Maybe the party goers run an extension cable out to the pool to power a stereo system and it was knocked in by accident. It's a sad story, RIP to the young man.

A lot of assumeing going on here you know what happens when you assume. You make an as- out of you and me.

It is unbelieveable how these stories brings out such stupidity in some of the posters here.

It is a shame that a young man has to die no matter how.

Lets wait and get more info about what happened before making more assumptions

unlucky chap

but amazing that more of this kind of 'accident' doesn't occur

especially on koh phangnan...the place is a disaster waiting to happen

Could you kindly explain why KPG "is a disaster waiting to happen" more of the rest of Thailand.

Nostradamus?

OK - here we go delving into the realm of Yahoo style front page stories.

non sense logic of progression of events.

..."All of a sudden a cable fell into the water and the guy got electrocuted. I heard screams. I turned around and saw him drowning. I quickly dove into the pool and pulled him out."

The idiot that said that has the misconception that if a person gets electrocuted by a cable in a pool that the "electrocution" happens in

one short burst and then the guy is dead and the whole incident is over. oblivious to the fact that as long

as the cable is in the pool ANYONE who jumps in there will be electrocuted as well unless the

power was quickly cut from the cable

So his statement that he "heard screams" and "quickly dove into the pool" is an out and out lie because he would have been electrocuted as well.

Electric cables don't just happened to fall in the pool at 4 AM when their just happens to be only one guy in it with

a bunch of his drunk cohorts standing right there.

The only defense "BIlly" could offer that he was able to dive into the pool seconds after his buddy was already dead from the pool

being riddled with 220 is that the cable was attached to a circuit box which just that quickly overheated and tripped.

So the next thing I would inact would be to throw the cable in the pool again and see if it's connected to a circuit box that trips

because of the short. I would highly doubt it would trip that quickly because the pool is a large area allowing the

current to dissipate amply which would keep the wire and the circuit from heating and tripping as rapidly as it would have had to

in order for "Billy" to be standing here telling us this.

Billy further makes no acknowledgment that he is even aware that he is lucky to be alive diving into

the pool right as his friend just died. This must be a lie.

They put the cable in there as a joke and when it killed the guy they're saying it fell in there.

They also pulled it out but that's the core of the cover up is they say it fell in there by itself.

(he didn't say he pulled the cable out before he dove in)

Hello... Perry Masons office please?..

Manslaughter 1. 20 to life on a first offense with these circumstances.

Billy would be out in about 8 years.

If they don't point the culprit then they all go.

Perhaps a quick review of the electrical situation is in order. Anyone who lives here is aware 'earth' basically do not exist in building of domestic premises. The law requires a licensed electrician wire from mains to street but one power is attached to premises - they can use handymen to do the internal. Without earth electrical wiring there cannot be ELCB's - Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers. Even set in milliamps these things kick out in the event of such an occurrence.

Cables conduct electricity. They can fall in water but unless the end is exposed to the water, they cannot electrocute. In this instance an appliance of some description must have been drawn into the water. Lights of course, boom boxes, fans, are all major hazards around water. If the revellers were drunk the, signs ignored, then it was a recipe for disaster to start with.

The death is sad and unwarranted. The cause will of course be never investigated or rectified.

OK - here we go delving into the realm of Yahoo style front page stories.

non sense logic of progression of events.

..."All of a sudden a cable fell into the water and the guy got electrocuted. I heard screams. I turned around and saw him drowning. I quickly dove into the pool and pulled him out."

The idiot that said that has the misconception that if a person gets electrocuted by a cable in a pool that the "electrocution" happens in

one short burst and then the guy is dead and the whole incident is over. oblivious to the fact that as long

as the cable is in the pool ANYONE who jumps in there will be electrocuted as well unless the

power was quickly cut from the cable

So his statement that he "heard screams" and "quickly dove into the pool" is an out and out lie because he would have been electrocuted as well.

Electric cables don't just happened to fall in the pool at 4 AM when their just happens to be only one guy in it with

a bunch of his drunk cohorts standing right there.

The only defense "BIlly" could offer that he was able to dive into the pool seconds after his buddy was already dead from the pool

being riddled with 220 is that the cable was attached to a circuit box which just that quickly overheated and tripped.

So the next thing I would inact would be to throw the cable in the pool again and see if it's connected to a circuit box that trips

because of the short. I would highly doubt it would trip that quickly because the pool is a large area allowing the

current to dissipate amply which would keep the wire and the circuit from heating and tripping as rapidly as it would have had to

in order for "Billy" to be standing here telling us this.

Billy further makes no acknowledgment that he is even aware that he is lucky to be alive diving into

the pool right as his friend just died. This must be a lie.

They put the cable in there as a joke and when it killed the guy they're saying it fell in there.

They also pulled it out but that's the core of the cover up is they say it fell in there by itself.

(he didn't say he pulled the cable out before he dove in)

Hello... Perry Masons office please?..

Manslaughter 1. 20 to life on a first offense with these circumstances.

Billy would be out in about 8 years.

If they don't point the culprit then they all go.

ORRR!! this Ariel character pissed off one of Lurch inkeeper helpers who waited patiently as they partied

and threw the cable in the pool and pulled it out without being seen by the drunk partiers.

OR! a pissed off neighbor being kept awake for the jillionth time by the hotel guests.

Edited by jb5music

in all Postings, regarding this Accident, I simply miss the Argument, that the Legislation in Thailand is too lax to punish these People/Companies, who employ unsufficcient trained Workers and Controllers

Just let me ask, what Consequences for the People/Companies such an Accident would have in Europe, North America or Australia?

Perhaps a quick review of the electrical situation is in order. Anyone who lives here is aware 'earth' basically do not exist in building of domestic premises. The law requires a licensed electrician wire from mains to street but one power is attached to premises - they can use handymen to do the internal. Without earth electrical wiring there cannot be ELCB's - Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers. Even set in milliamps these things kick out in the event of such an occurrence.

Cables conduct electricity. They can fall in water but unless the end is exposed to the water, they cannot electrocute. In this instance an appliance of some description must have been drawn into the water. Lights of course, boom boxes, fans, are all major hazards around water. If the revellers were drunk the, signs ignored, then it was a recipe for disaster to start with.

The death is sad and unwarranted. The cause will of course be never investigated or rectified.

Reminds me of when I stayed at a fairly well known resort in Kata Beach. Turn on the hot water in the shower and one would get shocked. Not a shower like those most people have in our with the ELB breaker inside. Just the usual two taps and shower head like in the west so I assume the hot water was coming from a central tank.

Mentioned this to the management and they said ok, we will move you to another room. Standards and codes are only good if they are enforced.

:)

Sad story's all over,but what to think about this electric water heater's? they are used all over Thailand.

Me, I never feel save when I use this heater's especialy because I now thai's don't take grounding electric equipment serious!!

This moment I live in a place without a shower heater it is cold but more save!rolleyes.gif

Take care

Install a Solar Waterheater like I did and you have no more fears about the electricity that may kill you.

Regards

it's a criminal to run cables near the water, let's see who is to blame for this accident.

"we were swimming in the pool all happy and drunk" - another missmatched activities

Believe me, the management will escape from this deadly negligence because of the sign that it was forbidden to swim at night (although like earlier said in this forum: this has nothing to do with the night; it could as well have happened during the day). Remember Santika, the fire cause has never been blamed (merely mentioned), but the fact that Santika opened without proper building permit: that was the real reason for all these deads...

TIT, to get sick of it.... :D :D :D:):D

Whether accident, carelessness or manslaughter by his drunk friends. Without the real facts nobody should come to quick conclusions.   

One thing seems to be sure: They partied in a pool at 4 am, it was forbidden, now they cry! 

I don't say this boy deserved death, but he played with fire and got burnt.

Why nobody feels for the the innocent fellow resort guests which been annoyed by these drunken rowdies for hours??

Whether accident, carelessness or manslaughter by his drunk friends. Without the real facts nobody should come to quick conclusions.

One thing seems to be sure: They partied in a pool at 4 am, it was forbidden, now they cry!

I don't say this boy deserved death, but he played with fire and got burnt.

Why nobody feels for the the innocent fellow resort guests which been annoyed by these drunken rowdies for hours??

You get the vote for the most moronic post yet. You must be a real nasty person indeed.

RIP

Sad story, same thing happened to my neighbors little boy a few years ago in

Pattaya

Electricity and water don't mix and should be kept well apart

But then most people know that

:)

Sad story's all over,but what to think about this electric water heater's? they are used all over Thailand.

Me, I never feel save when I use this heater's especialy because I now thai's don't take grounding electric equipment serious!!

This moment I live in a place without a shower heater it is cold but more save!rolleyes.gif

Take care

The electric water heaters have earth leakage protection, nothing else in Thailand does, if it was fitted to the wiring at the resort the guy would not be dead!

Mind you, you are right the wiring has to be done correctly for the protection to work.