Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family

webfact

And how do they know not there to park?

No 'no parking sign', so they can park there. And in any case, this kind of behaviour is inexcusable.

Phuket's public transport shortcomings have been been the subject of bitter complaints from local residents and foreign tourists for at least a decade. These incidents are clear examples of a corrupt government and police force. The poor Thai people and visitors are subject to this because no one apparently is willing to stop it. GREED/SELF INTERESTS/MONEY rule in Lack of Sanctions = LOS.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason there is no solution is because Phuket is such a huge holiday "brand" in the world now, it simply does not matter if there is no repeat business. In other words, they can burn through any number of the hoards of new and never ending arrivals and still happily have more new pilgrims each month.

Yeah I get your point. But sometimes the bad rep does get spread widely enough to make an impact and destinations decline in popularity.

Sure, I'd like to believe in the romantic notion that we could lobby people so that they would "vote with their feet" and boycott Phuket. But, honestly, I just think Phuket has turned into this huge juggernaut of a beach destination now, fueled largely by cheap international flights and packages.

A lot of people are blaming the thais for the scams and violence but who is rounding up all the sheep to be sent to the slaughter house. It is the farang travel agencies back home. These people know exactly what the problems are in places like Phuket and Pattaya but will they tell you? I don't think so because they will loose your money. You are being scammed back home in the exactly the same way a thai would do but you do not see it because it is one of your own doing the scamming.

I am sure that there must be some bad tuk tuk drivers here in Aran too, but there are good and bad all over, farangs too, yes?

The difference being that these aholes in Phuket are not tuk-tuk drivers, they're criminals put there to rip-off and are not interested in providing a service. The whole place needs purging.

Hmm... 1930s-era technology, open cargo area with roof-height designed for Quasimodo, no seat belts, poisonous exhaust fumes, obvious mafia connections, and a fare that makes a Tokyo taxi look like a bargain. "Yep, pack the kids in Marge. We're taking a tuk-tuk. The only other alternatives are for all of us to be whacked with umbrella poles, rent a thrashed-out motorcycle, or ask JJ for a special jet ski package." "But honey, we are only crossing Beach Road." "Marge, have you seen a local yet make it across this road without getting hit?!?"

A situation that could have, and should have been avoided.

As tourists they should have taken the guy's word and found another parking spot. You don't go to someone else's country and do what's you think is right in your country.

This guy who beat them is still a piece of human excrement and should be thrown in jail but I put some blame on the tourists.

Of course it is all the fault of the family, if they stayed in France it would not have happened? Horse shit.

The Tuk tuks and Taxis of Phuket are what make me have second thoughts every time I consider going there for a holiday. Only way to go is to drive yourself, perhaps an amoured car would help.

Good idea, where would you park it though?

Hope they catch the man who attacked these Tourists.

Having said that though, It is like Parking the Car on a Motorcycle Taxi Rank - There are no signs telling us not to, we just use our common sense really and not park there to avoid this type of trouble.

The tourists on holiday should have moved on really to avoid this, afterall, they are visitors in this Country.

That is what I think anyway.

Your thought process is incorrect.

A situation that could have, and should have been avoided.

As tourists they should have taken the guy's word and found another parking spot. You don't go to someone else's country and do what's you think is right in your country.

This guy who beat them is still a piece of human excrement and should be thrown in jail but I put some blame on the tourists.

Another assumption devoid of common sense.

Look at your key points: That the tourist should have taken some angry thug's word for it and done as he said. Right. Brilliant logic. I just came back from Singapore. It's not my country, but no one came up to me and threatened me. What's your point? If a nutter like this came up to you and did this to you in your homeland, would you have complied? What if the fellow had instructed you to unclothe and dance around naked? How are people supposed to know which gang turf is restricted to the gang? They didn't post their gang graffiti did they. Maybe it would help if these people posted giant turd pictures to demarcate their areas.

I have seen many posts on here commenting about Chiang Mai and how good the taxi and Tuk Tuk services/drivers here are.

This is certainly not true and Chiang Mai must be avoided at all costs-come here at your peril. :)

Hope the French family recover asap and are not too traumatised by their dreadful experience.

Many people saw the incident, which occurred at about 5pm, but no-one went to the family's aid, the victims claimed.

The typical Thai reaction/non-response. I see nothing...NOTHING. :)

Seeing nothing and not helping others in trouble is not a Thai but a worldwide problem. In nearly all countries it is a lot safer to mind your own business.

Where I come from most people would assist. It was in broad daylight with many people around.

No one wants to get involved

Happens every where in the world

Bangornrat Shinaprayoon, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) South Region Four office in Phuket, said, "We have a plan which has not been made public yet."

Here's the plan: Ask some tuk tuk drivers the following questions:

>>> Do you overcharge? (he'll say 'no, it's other guys')

>>> Are you rude or violent towards customers (he'll say 'no, it's some other guys')

>>> Do you know of any drivers who do those things (he'll say 'yes' but can't recall any names)

End of investigation. No improvements.

"broke his arm" <deleted>??? :)

This confirms my decision not to visit Phuket for the last 6 years.

Spot on, well said.

Phuket and Samui have never had and will never get a recommendation from me to my family or friends back home. If you've never been to them, avoid them like the plague. Nothing but hassle, aggravation, touts and rip-offs if you can speak Thai or not. Even my Thai friends and family won't go there.

If you like beaches, there are many other alternatives (eg. Trang, Satun)where you don't encounter low life scum like that.

"IF TOU CAN SPEND 5 MINUTES POSTING ON HERE SPEND 5 EMAILING A NEWSPAPER."

Yes, or post it on Hi5, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter etc. At least that way, people are guaranteed to see it in print, newspapers are at the whim of the editor.

Oh please! Don't put Samui in the same bag with Phuket. Although it's true what others indicated that all touristy areas of Thailand attract human scum and that guys living up North somewhere have a higher chance of counteracting with the nice breed of Thais ... Samui tuk-tuk drivers are definitely the best in the country! This I can also say in reply to the request for positive comments about them. Why? Because SAMUI DOSN'T HAVE ANY TUK-TUKS! They are banned from this lovely island on environmental grounds I guess.

Taxi-mafia? Well, nobody calls themselves "mafia", some taxi drivers are very nice people here but surely they are a group of men sharing common lifestyle and values. Since all Thais on the island either have their own transportation or take motor-bike taxis the taxis are only used by the tourists and hence we have set prices. But the prices are still low comparing with Western standards with the only exception being 500 THB from the airport in Chaweng to Chaweng that is maybe 4 km away. A lot of resorts provide free airport pick-up though. So, don't be shy and come to Samui instead of Phuket. This island has much more charm anyway (this is my opinion only so please don’t crucify me Phuket-ers).

Coming back to the original topic, I don’t believe Phuket police is serious about apprehending the culprit especially when they say that "summons have been issued".

Living in Thailand for 3 years I've never heard of "summons". The police usually know everything that is going on locally because they are very curious types and much involved with the community. The first thing they want to know is "what happened and who's done it" and it only takes them few minutes to talk on the phone with few "friends" to find out. They have surely talked with the offender by now and the rest is just a playing for time for the tourists to go back to their home country and the bulk of the incriminating evidence to disappear. The guy who’s done it is one of THEM and "this is THEIR country" ;-) Although they may feel sorry for the beaten family and they understand that the scum-bag overextended himself the Farang will not be “allowed to impose" their ways onto Thailand. This case is just like many other events that happen all the time here to make me believe this a likely outcome. Beating is just an every-day bread here and not serious enough to generate international headlines to which they would have to react differently.

Now, this is an uneasy question to all the cocky Farang (the ones who tend to stand their ground) who live here: how many times have YOU been hit? Did you report to police and did you learn the lesson? This may require a separate thread, so please help moderators if there are enough responses.

Animals they are, i don't say this..... it's how the Army call them ... issat.

Unfortunately there is an unwritten rule regarding parking in these kind of situation whether in Phuket or in Bangkok. You simply have to give way to parking areas 'designated' by tuk tuk, taxi or trucks. These guys made their living and can be really annoy. The Asian tourists knows about this rule. However Westerners and their rights, do not understand and gets into trouble.

The Thai Tourist bureau should make all efforts to clean this dirty beach resort up. I guess these local idiots don't realize

the fact that the foreign travelers make up 100% of Phukets resort revenue.

Another bad publicity for Phuket.

Why can't the Thai cops figure out a way to do some undercover stings?

Here's how they could do it: Get one or more farang who are familiar with Thailand. Get them to travel in some tuk tuks, but don't let on they speak Thai, as it's more often the 'greenhorn' tourists who get ripped off. Have a hidden recording device (audio/visual) on the agent (though how can anyone hear anything over the growl of the little motors?). If there is overpricing or excessive rudeness, then the drivers gets busted. Best if the agent is from outside Phuket, as there could be repercussions. Same could be done at other touristy places. Have the agent(s) alternate their travel plans, sometimes with a partner, and operate at various times of day and night, so there are no patterns discernible by drivers. Enact fines on the spot by cops. If fine can't be paid, then confiscate vehicle.

A key component would be the catchement point. Offending tuk tuk drivers would have to be corralled by at least two police officers, and not allowed to drive off before paying fine. Expect lots of anger and, if there are any other drivers nearby, some serious repercussions. Also, don't allow apprehended driver to use his mobile phone during the proceedings.

If there was serious resolve from higher ups, Thai cops might be able to pull it off, though they (like all Thais) are very subjective about dealing with irate people, and might have a problem dealing with such heated problems objectively and appropriately. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it's similar to the long festering problem at Italy's Sicily with mafia. The Sicilian problem was deadly and more serious than tuk tuk problem in Thailand. Yet, Thais can learn from Italian authorities who dealt with it dynamically, with sustained force.

Thus far, Phuket authorities haven't shown a modicum of such resolve, but maybe if a few thousand more tourists get ripped off and a few dozen more get injured, the authorities may find the needed amount of testicular fortitude to do what's right. Then they can show what they've learned to the Pattaya cops, ha ha.

Scum. Short and simple.

I agree, the're all scum even here in Pattaya with the baht buses and taxi motorbikes, cannot even park your small motorbike nowhere, even with no parking signs, like they own the streets (which they do by paying the police)

Well, so far I've never had any problems with parking a rented bike in Pattaya, maybe except for some areas close to Walking Street.

Is Phuket really such a bad place? :)

Haven't been there yet but was considering visiting the place in the future.

The Thai Tourist bureau should make all efforts to clean this dirty beach resort up. I guess these local idiots don't realize

the fact that the foreign travelers make up 100% of Phukets resort revenue.

Another bad publicity for Phuket.

Not all, but many, here on Samui too, all the time "high strung" due to abuse of M150, Red Bull, name it!

During night times intoxicated with alcohol too - no checks, they pay their "duty" and here they go.....

we had machete attack, gun wielding, self appointed "road revengers"... it's about time, high time!

Especially it's some who effect the entire trade!

On reported (and proven) misdemeanor, suspend the license on 3rd count bye, bye!

More random checks target taxis, tuk-tuk's and songteaow's!

Dear Sirs

I had a similar incident happen to my daughter and I at the end of November at Kata Noi. A Chinese shop owner tried to stop us from parking in front of his shop opposite The Boat House restaurant. I also noted no signs indicating no parking and parked out motorcycle. We returned about an hour later and set off for our hotel only to find that he had let down our front tyre, risking both our lives.

Regards

Mike Wall

since the road at this spot is just 4 meters wide and a single car parking there will affect (block) the whole traffic, everybody with a brain doesnt need somebody who explain its not ok to park there. This spot have no walkways for tourists on both sides and the road is terrible unclear.....which they have taken your car and throw it in the sea.....or transport it to the next police box where you have to pick it up after you paid for a breakdown truck and transport service.......

.....not even tuk tuk drivers are stupid enough to park there :)

<br />Its the same in Chiangmai they always put something in front of shops, and on the street to say no parking here.<br />But have had luck so far stop the car and put the obsticle on the sidewalk and then park the car.<br />NOBODY SAYS ANYTHING BUT I CAN SEE OF THE LOOKS THEY DO NOT LIKE IT. <br />If somebody says anything I ask if i can see the chanoot paper that says he owns the peace of the street.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Parking in downtown Chiang Mai is often atrocious. I'm not sure, but it seems you might be describing those shops where they try to keep parking out front available for customers of said shops. I really can't blame the mom and pop operations for such efforts... They're trying to run a business, after all, and it's helpful when customers have somewhere to park.

Here in the USA, it's common to find 2-3 spaces in front of each of the shops in a crowded strip mall painted with the words "Reserved for..." whatever shop is in front of those spaces. Such "reserved spaces" are also generally honored. Seems little different.

But perhaps I've misunderstood your comment.

Regardless, parking issues such as these are quite different from those alleged here for Phuket: herds of tuk-tuk drivers monopolizing parking spaces, with vandalism and/or beatings a distinct possibility?

Frankly, don't much care for Phuket. Too many tourists from too many places trying to do too many things in too little time? Maddening, and a significant magnet for crime, criminals, mafia types, etc. I'll scuba dive in Khao Lak, instead, or maybe Pattaya, though the latter can also be the same sort of magnet as Phuket in some ways, and I do minimize my time there...

An aside: I once accidentally left a backpack in a taxi in Bangkok. Was less worried about recovering the cameras and such inside, and more worried about losing the journal I was keeping. Was pleasantly surprised when the taxi driver came back to the hotel and dropped the backpack at the front desk, all contents intact. So its not all bad everywhere.

Apologies to all if I rambled too much.

I've stopped going to Phuket 4 years ago because of this mafia tuk-tuk situation, as well as the police situation there. Many of the gogo boyz there are prisoners. They have to sneak out with some tourist in the early morning to get away, if they are lucky.

The only positive thing I've seen about the tuk tuk situation over the years is that each year more and more people are walking a long distance to avoid the tuk tuks. Try driving around between 19:00-22:00 in Kata or Karon and you will see a lot of people walking. I sit in front of a tuk tuk stand almost nightly in Karon and I see probably 80% of the people who approach a tuk tuk for a ride to go less than 1 km refuse the price offered by the tuk tuks and they simply take a 10 minute walk.

Tourists are learning to avoid these clowns, and this is causing the tuk tuk drivers to be more aggressive and confrontational to all who are looking for a ride. If the idiots would lower their fares to 50 baht for a 2 minute ride, they'd make more money, but granted they wouldn't have as much time for their Sang Som and sodas, Chang etc.

In Chiang Mai, the Tuk-tuk driver stabbed my tire with a small knife. The space I parked in was not an official Tuk-tuk space, they just considered it theirs. I feel lucky that they did not break my arm, but in Chiang Mai, such violence would not be acceptable. The police in Chiang Mai are better, more honest and accountable then Phuket from what I've observed. That's why I live in Chiang Mai.

Why can't the Thai cops figure out a way to do some undercover stings?

Here's how they could do it: Get one or more farang who are familiar with Thailand. Get them to travel in some tuk tuks, but don't let on they speak Thai, as it's more often the 'greenhorn' tourists who get ripped off. Have a hidden recording device (audio/visual) on the agent (though how can anyone hear anything over the growl of the little motors?). If there is overpricing or excessive rudeness, then the drivers gets busted. Best if the agent is from outside Phuket, as there could be repercussions. Same could be done at other touristy places. Have the agent(s) alternate their travel plans, sometimes with a partner, and operate at various times of day and night, so there are no patterns discernible by drivers. Enact fines on the spot by cops. If fine can't be paid, then confiscate vehicle.

A key component would be the catchement point. Offending tuk tuk drivers would have to be corralled by at least two police officers, and not allowed to drive off before paying fine. Expect lots of anger and, if there are any other drivers nearby, some serious repercussions. Also, don't allow apprehended driver to use his mobile phone during the proceedings.

If there was serious resolve from higher ups, Thai cops might be able to pull it off, though they (like all Thais) are very subjective about dealing with irate people, and might have a problem dealing with such heated problems objectively and appropriately. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it's similar to the long festering problem at Italy's Sicily with mafia. The Sicilian problem was deadly and more serious than tuk tuk problem in Thailand. Yet, Thais can learn from Italian authorities who dealt with it dynamically, with sustained force.

Thus far, Phuket authorities haven't shown a modicum of such resolve, but maybe if a few thousand more tourists get ripped off and a few dozen more get injured, the authorities may find the needed amount of testicular fortitude to do what's right. Then they can show what they've learned to the Pattaya cops, ha ha.

I'm not sure the scenarios you give would work in Thailand. With money, it is very much a "what is in it for me" culture

Thais dislike conflict and loud argument. And how do they react to foreigners?

Resolving issues is not a Thai pastime.

And the lazy, ineffective authorities are surprised? Thuggish violent and abusive, these supposedly public service providers have a litany of complaints against them going back years. What a joke. But not for the victims.

They have allowed this situation, and many others like it, to go on for years. I have said it before here....the longer these thugs are allowed to do what they want whenever they want...the harder it will be to control them.

I fear this line has been passed long ago.

What would be fun is to have a thug patrol and beat the shit out of the lawless low life that cause all the problems. We should start a web site with profiles "Mug Shots" of these type of people and anytime they create problems we send the thug patrol out for a blanket party.......for those of you who don't know what a blanket party is..it is were you throw a blanket over the perpetrator and beat him as hard as you can with a stick.

Funny you should mention this scenario. While reading it, I was reminded of the "blue shirts" who were locals directly impacted by the "protests" of the "red shirts" (and maybe previously yellow as well) in Pattaya and BKK. Believe it or not, there are some Thai's who realize that the mob mentality directly impacts their "bottom line" ability to make a living. And when enough of them do, they decide to police themselves, or fight mob mentality with mob mentality. Its probably just a matter of time before some of these tourist dependant merchants organize themselves similarly and put an end to the transport mafia. The unfortunate thing is, the understanding of "big picture" and "Action A causes reaction B" is a big challenge to the average local. But as you saw during the Red Shirt protests last year, eventually someone gets the word out that the wrong kind of behavior impacts them all, and someone will start "blanket partying" the perpetrators. And way before a politician or the BiB will, for sure.

Oh please! Don't put Samui in the same bag with Phuket. I guess.

Taxi-mafia? Well, nobody calls themselves "mafia", some taxi drivers are very nice people here but surely they are a group of men sharing common lifestyle and values. Since all Thais on the island either have their own transportation or take motor-bike taxis the taxis are only used by the tourists and hence we have set prices.

I guess you do business on Samui and want to attract more victims for people with special set prices for tourists. Samui was a great place 20 years ago. It has many problems. It starts with special flight fares and does not end with the set prices for the taxis... I have been living in Thailand for more than 10 years. My last visit to Samui was 6 years ago. A 2 weeks trip I cancelled after 3 days. Just an extremely annoying place that was once a little paradise. For me the worst place of all.

The Thai Police allowed their main international airport to be overrun and occupied by a gang of protesters

Their Prime Ministers motorcade to be attacked.

And also an international ASEAN Summit to be invaded.

A gang of rip off Tuk Tuk drivers should not even raise an eyelid.

Seriously.

agreed.

we need to vent, we live here

the reason this thread had 1400 ACTIVE viewers few hours ago is because we know we can be beaten or worse at any given moment..

by 'we' I mean farangs living in a major tourist area.

Simple fact is that nothing will ever change here. We learn to live here, we know never to argue with a local, we learn not to make eye contact, we get used to keep our eyes focused on a ground.

Because we have made our homes here we are slowly turning into something less than humans.. maybe that is the price we need to pay.. a permission to live in a foreign land.. never to be equal to locals. This makes me sad. It used to make me angry, it now just makes me sad. Slowly I get used to being a dog.

We're not even above Dogs in this country, sorry to say. And yes I already know that if I dont like it I can leave, but I can't at the moment for reasons I won't get into at this time.

Walking with my young daughter down a soi, one of the nice healthy looking soi dogs had a go at me. Scared the bejeezus outta me to be honest, especially with my 6 month old daughter. I put her on the bonnet of a near by car, and grabbed my keys out of my pocket as that was the closest thing to a "weapon" I had. Turned to face the dog, which had stopped still barking menacingly. He lunged once but I caught his lip with a punch and possibly the keys too..not sure. He yelped a bit but didnt back off. I picked up my daughter, and began backing down the street carefully. Two thai guys from the nearby taxi rank came out and started shouting at me of course. At first I thought maybe I had crossed into someones property or something else the dog might have been protecting but for the life of me didn't see anything like that..I was in the middle of a soi for christ sakes. The thai's passed the dog and kept shouting at me while I slowly walked backwards down the soi to the main street. Sad really. I'm sure the guys had seen the whole thing and knew I was simply walking down the street after leaving a 7-11 and carrying a young child was protective of her, but for some reason they were angry at me for striking (and only glancing really) the dog, in clear self defense. Oh well, TiT.

What a hideous story.

This is the sort of news Thailand really could do without.

I feel that the Thais are so inured to foreigners now that there has been a palpable shift in their attitude toward them.

Bring back the Thailand I once knew and loved because I am really becoming disillusioned with the one I know now.