Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family

webfact

Can anyone say anything positive about any tuk-tuk anywhere in Thailand?

Sure, in Chiang Mai they are not so bad. They are polite, helpful, honest and know their way around the city.

They are noisy, dirty (terrible pollution!) , rude, dangerous, dishonest and all around bad news.

Same can be said about most tourists in Thailand, though. It helps a lot to show them respect, like all people.

That being said, I totally agree that Phuket is infested with mafia businesses, and I hope there will soon be changes made - especially for locals trying to get from A to B.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scum. Short and simple.

I agree, the're all scum even here in Pattaya with the baht buses and taxi motorbikes, cannot even park your small motorbike nowhere, even with no parking signs, like they own the streets (which they do by paying the police)

I wonder if this is an example of the end result of a prolong period of not enough tourist to feed the Thai transport drivers.

When I was there this year in Patong, it was obvious that tourist were doing more walking and bartering.

The proportion of drivers outnumbered the tourist.

So , maybe that's the problem and people do crazy things when they are hungry and maybe the drivers got use to the way things use to be with loads of tourist.

Hope they catch the man who attacked these Tourists.

Having said that though, It is like Parking the Car on a Motorcycle Taxi Rank - There are no signs telling us not to, we just use our common sense really and not park there to avoid this type of trouble.

The tourists on holiday should have moved on really to avoid this, afterall, they are visitors in this Country.

That is what I think anyway.

Anyone who condones violence should be beaten to death with a blunt weapon.

That is what I think, anyway.

This is right on.

Any of you who are blaming the victims, are basically saying assault is o.k. with you.

On that note, why don't I come over there and beat the F**ck out of you for thinking like that?

It's o.k., right?

Scum. Short and simple.

How do you know?? Were you there??

Talk about pronouncing guilt without evidence. And they were French!! I would back the Tuk Tuk driver until proven otherwise.

Are you trying to earn the label too?

Scum. Short and simple.

I agree, the're all scum even here in Pattaya with the baht buses and taxi motorbikes, cannot even park your small motorbike nowhere, even with no parking signs, like they own the streets (which they do by paying the police)

Forgot one thing, never but never fight a Thai guy, they never fight alone, they're like baboons, fight in group, the cowards!

Thailand is becoming a place not to visit,i will not be recomending my friends to come here,and i have been coming here a longtime,everyone is getting ripped of,if you are a Farang you pay double why? you cannot own land why ? you cannot work why?,the only thing good about Thailand now is it is warmer than the uk,and most of the Thais do not like the farang unless they are getting money from them, for doing nothing (bling) that is what they are,and it is going to get worse

Having said that though, It is like Parking the Car on a Motorcycle Taxi Rank - There are no signs telling us not to, we just use our common sense really and not park there to avoid this type of trouble.

The tourists on holiday should have moved on really to avoid this, afterall, they are visitors in this Country.

No Sign= No Crime, IMHO.

Hang Man&Tuk High say I.

Tourist or ExPat, no diff in Traffic Act,

Be Safe, Don't Stray

New Yrs Night away.

rgdz Brewsta

went to phuket 2 weeks ago...

those SCAM taxi drivers who charge anything from 600 to 1200 baht (sometimes per person)

for a 3o min - 3o km taxi drive to/from the airport

where it should cost max 300 - 400 on the meter for the whole cab...

my wife asked 4 places in 100 meters from the hotel

hotel was 1100 for 2 persons, some (i really do not know why they can work this sceme) pakistani-indian so called private car business who tried 900 baht (kamala beach), a travel agency where we booked phi phi trip came with 800 and finally, the realy thai van (private van just for us) at 'only' 600 baht after negotiation ...

Here in the "Rose of the North", it is a set fee to take taxi from airport into any part of Chiangmai: 120 baht. Nice clean taxis, never paid more, never paid less. I live @ 12-15 minutes from airport: the happy driver always gets a 30 baht tip.

I wonder if the tuk-tuk driver used broken English to tell the French folks to move? Regardless, these is never, ever any justification for attacking anyone, especially a family with elderly parents and small children, with anything other than harsh words, if that.

Make an example of this violent person, we LIKE tourists here.

This an armed assault by a criminal. Period.

Its the role of a legitimate police force to enforce parking, not tuk tuk drivers. Thailand does not appear to have legitimate police force per se... some good cops, though far too many uniformed criminals.

I suggest that very obvious answer to why there are constant problems with tuk tuk drivers in Phuket; the rip-offs, constant poor service, bad and dangerous driving, traffic snarls, crime and violence is that

***some tuk tuk bosses = criminals = some police***

Mr Governor: why have you not done anything about the tuk tuk problem??

Because nobody in charge ever does anything about anything, unless they can make a buck - and of course it has to be more than they are making off the current scam. Santika - how many reforms? NONE. All the traffic accidents - what ever gets done? NOTHING. Boating accidents - nothing. This guy will have some relatives hide him out until the French family goes home. Then he'll be right back at his favorite spot. Or maybe just for a little show the cops will pick him up, but as soon as the French family is gone, a few baht will change hands and him and the BiB will be out drinking together.

Scum. Short and simple.

Pattaya isn't even close as bad as Phuket. In Pattaya you know your costs whenyou jump in to a SongTaeu (Pickup). In Phuket you will pay for about the same short distance 10 times the price of Pattaya. And on the end you still have discussions with hese nasty guys.

It's very easy for us who live here to say 'they shouldn't have parked there'

We live here and we know what is what. When I first came here All I saw was big smiles and polite people. As I stayed longer I could see what was really going on. Thailand is the same as anywhere; some good people, some bad.

This is all down to education and culture. When I see Thai people attacking someone like this (I've seen it so many times now) It's absolutlely sickening. We're told to never intervene because there is a serious risk we could be killed. We just stand there and watch 'cause even as foerigners here, we've been conditioned to do so.

My sympathies to the family for this brazen attack.

Don't expect they will be booking their next vacation in the sunny Land of Smiles?

:)

Their friends and all they meet probably won't be either. Someone needs to wake up. Is Abhisit man enough to take them on. I think he should but other posters believe he should stick only to the big issues. But for me this a big issue.

Hmmm I live not far from there, they all belong to the Mafia. There are no motor bike taxis around there because they won't let them in and the fares are ridiculess I had a friend who had his shop window smashed because he told someone where the local bus was and he was over heard by one if them. It really needs to be claened up but we all know why it hasn't I guess..... :)

I'm agreed with you.

They are noisy, dirty (terrible pollution!) , rude, dangerous, dishonest and all around bad news.

I guess it may be part of Thailand's identity, but I feel they should make Tuk Tuks a thing of the the nostalgic past.

Yes, I can. The tuk tuk drivers in Suratthani are polite, helpful and cheap. That is also directly proportional to the amount of Thai you speak and how polite you are to them.

I live in Thailand and my first and last visit to Phuket was 12 years ago when I saw western tourists procuring young boys from Thai pimps at a bus shelter.

Phuket is not Thailand it is some horrible nightmare place that is nothing to do with the country I love and will never leave.

But that is the whole story......once you make a beautiful are3a a tourist resort it is no longer a beautiful area.

Many people saw the incident, which occurred at about 5pm, but no-one went to the family’s aid, the victims claimed.

The typical Thai reaction/non-response. I see nothing...NOTHING. :)

Seeing nothing and not helping others in trouble is not a Thai but a worldwide problem. In nearly all countries it is a lot safer to mind your own business.

Yes they should maybe have moved on if they have lived in thailand for 10 or so years and realised how nasty people can be in Thailand like the rest of the world, Thailand is not all sanook sanook is it??

Here in the "Rose of the North", it is a set fee to take taxi from airport into any part of Chiangmai: 120 baht. Nice clean taxis, never paid more, never paid less. I live @ 12-15 minutes from airport: the happy driver always gets a 30 baht tip.

I wonder if the tuk-tuk driver used broken English to tell the French folks to move? Regardless, these is never, ever any justification for attacking anyone, especially a family with elderly parents and small children, with anything other than harsh words, if that.

Make an example of this violent person, we LIKE tourists here.

I was up in your lovely town a couple of months ago and what you say about the airport taxis is true. However, I took the family to the zoo, came out and asked the songtaew drivers on the street how much to Doi Suthep. 800 baht per person r/t. I laughed and said to the GF "let's ask about a van at the hotel" and walked over to buy a coke. Apparently they did not think their price was as funny as i did. Was gone 2 minutes. When i came back 3 drivers had cornered my GF and were asking her what hotel we were staying in and there would be a big problem for the hotel if they took us in a hotel van (true - i asked the front desk later). Its not just Phuket or Pattaya, its the whole country.

Edited by Netfan

Look at the history of how Italy attacked and beat the Sicilian mafia. Many good people died. The entire police and "justice" system had to be directly confronted. Here, in Thailand, there doesn't seem to be the will to even begin such a heroic effort. You have been warned.

Many people saw the incident, which occurred at about 5pm, but no-one went to the family's aid, the victims claimed.

Seeing nothing and not helping others in trouble is not a Thai but a worldwide problem. In nearly all countries it is a lot safer to mind your own business.

Where I come from most people would assist. It was in broad daylight with many people around.

went to phuket 2 weeks ago...

those SCAM taxi drivers who charge anything from 600 to 1200 baht (sometimes per person)

for a 3o min - 3o km taxi drive to/from the airport

where it should cost max 300 - 400 on the meter for the whole cab...

my wife asked 4 places in 100 meters from the hotel

hotel was 1100 for 2 persons, some (i really do not know why they can work this sceme) pakistani-indian so called private car business who tried 900 baht (kamala beach), a travel agency where we booked phi phi trip came with 800 and finally, the realy thai van (private van just for us) at 'only' 600 baht after negotiation ...

In fairness, i managed to get a tuk-tuk on Saturday night from Patong/Bangla road to Surin Beach/Stereo lab for 400baht which i think is a fair price for the distance. I speak Thai to them though which may or may not help.

I've also had the 'you can't park here' incidents. When i asked them 'why' in Thai, they melted away.

Funny that.

Regarding this thread. It is completely indefensible to attack someone with a metal bar for a parking problem.

I'm glad the gazette has picked up on this and this appears to have spurred the police into actually doing their job and visiting the victims.

The Governor of Phuket really needs to get a handle on this. It's gone on too long. He has made great strides into sorting out some of the problems of the jet-skis. Now let's see if his last few months in office can produce results in reining in these tuk-tuk criminals.

All it needs is an international newspaper to get this and it's yet more bad publicity for Phuket and Thailand.

First I would like to tell that I stand with my fellow countrymen, having my father at the same age (68 yold) and a browser at 45 y old with also 3 kids (but older); I do feel for them more than my english can tell.

Furthermore it's highlight the huge difference btw places like Cannes and Phuket. One is a civilisate place ; the other is roamed by thugs (local and foreigners alike). I do say that not because the fight (it may happend); but because noone (and the quote demonstrate how people can be low) no one came to help and stop what have certainly be horrendous for those people.

Finally I for once believe Mr Pavie was right, and that Jules Ferry should have be kept in power (that is history for those who know).

Just returned to Pattaya from a 4 day family holiday to Chaing Rai. Tried all types of local transport - airport taxis, pedicabs, minicabs around CR and tour minibus up to Burma border and through to the Golden Triangle.

No problems with any of the journeys and prices were more than reasonable with absolutely no attitude issues from the drivers.

A breath of fresh air in more ways than one!

I guess it may be part of Thailand's identity, but I feel they should make Tuk Tuks a thing of the the nostalgic past.

Why would anyone want to go to Phuket in the first place. The only way I can describe it - It is scum hole.

And if you go? You desreve it. Phuket S_u_c-k-s

I think this situation is serious enough for Abhisit to get involved and lay down some ground rules for immediate action. He is head of government. But on the Santika thread I was shouted down on that point. What do other posters think in relation to this example??

Many people saw the incident, which occurred at about 5pm, but no-one went to the family's aid, the victims claimed.

Where I come from most people would assist. It was in broad daylight with many people around.

I agree! Back home I would have helped in anyway that I could. People Where I come from get very sensitive when they see women or children being attacked. I'm not saying the children were attacked, but they were there and that's what makes this all the worse.

You can either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

things wont change.

the only people that can enforce the change is thai's by voting in new people or by using their powers to take it to the right people.

but these dramas dont happen to the thais as much as it happens to the tourists, so it'll never change.