Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family

webfact

sorry my english bad

My friend is a similar situation. He arrived in Chiang Mai in a bar near Tapay Gate and left the bar about his Motobike. When he left, the road was closed 3 Thai man on a tuk-tuk. They said - "Give me the money for parking, and wanted to beat him. My friend said - "I call the Tourist Police" - people just got scared and left.

A friend said - "these people similar addicts". Who saw the move as addicts when they talk and walk on the street - he understands (they look like dolls are constantly pulling the strings, we're always themselves pulled his hands and feet and wobble)

I wonder if I am attacked addicts, and I fired a pistol at his kneecaps. It is legitimate if it is self-defense?

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone say anything positive about any tuk-tuk anywhere in Thailand?

They are noisy, dirty (terrible pollution!) , rude, dangerous, dishonest and all around bad news.

I guess it may be part of Thailand's identity, but I feel they should make Tuk Tuks a thing of the the nostalgic past.

It was taken by someone around the time of the airport clsures in Bangkok.

post-34728-1262084800_thumb.jpg

This photos show the guy knows which where his income comes from.

I have never been to Phuket in all my years here, due to the reputation of the local TukTuks and and other Phuket scam artists.

Does anyone know what ever happened to the tuk tuk driver in Patong who was arrested for murdering a Scandanavian guy about 2 and half years ago for demanding 250 baht instead of the 120 baht he quoted for the fare...the Scandanavian guy refused to pay the extra and it cost him his life

It is rumoured that many BIB have interests in tuk tuks and motor bike rentals...hence the lack of action

As long as there are some big heads or uniformed people behind this tuk tuk and taxi scam NOTHING will change, NEVER. Corruption is the reason why Phuket doesnt have a proper transport system, I am sure the governor will find some words of excuse, but change NOTHING

Until they sort out the corrupted Police, Mayors and others, nothing will ever change.

Why would they want to fix something that brings them in millions.

Here in Phuket, anyone who owns a business in a tourist area has to pay protection money. The MiB have a huge book with who has paid who and when.

Will it ever change, not bloody likely...

The thing that will change, is they will try and show they are stopping this by "catching" 1 person out of every 100 complaints, to show they are doing something. Just like when they do a hunt in Patong for "counterfeit goods" that are available everyday. But once every 3 months they have a crack down, which looks good....but good to whom? I have no idea, as well all know its a showcase.

Maybe the Thai's actually believe what they see on the TV.

TB

Edited by TheBrit

As a matter of interest......how many of you have actually written to the Governor to complain??

It is all very well to vent your frustration here, and other forums, but I doubt that the Governor reads TV. One of his lackeys no doubt does....but there is the waste. My guess is that you will write and complain here rather than take direct action. Do you think a post here will have more effect over a letter there (to the Governor)?

Take the time of only a few minutes to write and complain. Even a man as deaf as he has to hear a few hundred or a few thousand voices.

Edited by harleyclarkey

They are noisy, dirty (terrible pollution!) , rude, dangerous, dishonest and all around bad news.

I guess it may be part of Thailand's identity, but I feel they should make Tuk Tuks a thing of the the nostalgic past.

the tuk tuk drivers in my area are ok,but i live in sai mun (isaan)

johnyb

I'm retired in Pattaya Thailand. I invited my sisters to visit me from Australia for a Thai tour. Their friends in Australia said about Phuket...''don't go''

I live in Phuket and sell products to the hotels and resorts.

I wish someone would slap my French boss for getting all over me for my sales coming down since 2007.

2008 riots, airport closures, red shirts etc.

Now this kind of press................yeesh, tourism industry here is taking a big hit.

My wife and i went to phuket about 9 years ago and had a great time on patong beech , is was a bit more expensive than other places we had gone to but OK. But after all the things that have happened in Phuket after our stay there i have never been back .

We live here now and married nearly 12 years and will not go back so what must other people around the world thinking of a place to go on holiday think , Thailand and may be not just Phuket is not on the list of holiday destinations. It is so sad that these people are allowed to ruin the Thai tourist industry and not be brought to book by the government.

The simple answear is nothing will get done the thai logic is simple there are many tourists no problem 2 weeks there gone no problem this is thai logic same as jet ski scam jj is still ripping people off but he is still on the beach working did he pay a fine for demanding money by menace or was thai logic working ie keep sthum jj it will die down and you can carry on incidentally do any expats in patong know how this scumbag was dealt with for all the aggro he caused.

Why don't the locals in Phuket just tell all tourists and other expats, to leave the island?

Real easy. Ploblem solved.

Plenty of beautiful places in the world to spend their money. Malaysia comes to mind.

Yet another reason for me to NEVER visit Ph(F)uket.

Just the local way to say <deleted>-Q and have a nice day.

Well the tuk tuk guy that was always at our gate at 8.30 in the morning to take our daughter and ourselves to ur school and again at 3.30 to go pick her up was a star in my books. In sleepy Dusit all the tuk tuk drivers and moto drivers were thorough gentlemen to my family and I. No excuse for what happened to the French family in Phuket though.

However I do remember an incident at Central Pinklao where my family and I (after shopping and trudging around for hours) jumped into a cab at the taxi rank after asking the driver to take us home. He pulled almost onto Pinklao Road then rudely told us to get out because he had changed his mind (or that we spoke Thai and insisted on the meter) My wife lost her temper and let him have it verbally, he jumped out of the driver's seat and attacked my wife with a baseball bat, I ran around to stop him and the taxi lunged forward into the traffic with my 4 year old daughter in the back seat. I jumped in the cab and pulled tha handbrake on, then disarmed the f***wit, I then called the nearby cop who did his best to ignore us. He eventually came up, told me to step away and he would take the driver to the station. We eventually caught another taxi and drove past the cop who had just jumped out of the offending cab and walked back. He wasn't held to task for attacking an innocent farang woman, even though he never connected with his bat. My wife felt a bit guilty for raising her voice to him in the first place but after dragging a family around Central for several hours on the weekend stresses the best of us. We lived in BKK for nearly 9 years, if it had been someone less savvy they may have spent the rest of the day and night in a hospital.

As a matter of interest......how many of you have actually written to the Governor to complain??

It is all very well to vent your frustration here, and other forums, but I doubt that the Governor reads TV. One of his lackeys no doubt does....but there is the waste. My guess is that you will write and complain here rather than take direct action. Do you think a post here will have more effect over a letter there (to the Governor)?

Take the time of only a few minutes to write and complain. Even a man as deaf as he has to hear a few hundred or a few thousand voices.

I do not know for how long you have been living here and know about all the bad things. But I am afraid the Governor has been living here much, much longer. You think he does not know?

Edited by Beggar

Upcountry (Udon, Nong Khai), where most of their customers are Thai, tuk-tuks provide a decent service. They still try to quote Farang ~30-50% more, but are polite and bring the price down when asked.

I'd imagine it's like that in most of the country -- predators are concentrated in tourist areas, Phuket/Patong being worst of all.

I certainly avoid Phuket for a holiday/trip because of the bad vibe and attitudes. There are plenty of other places with sea and sand to go.

went to phuket 2 weeks ago...

those SCAM taxi drivers who charge anything from 600 to 1200 baht (sometimes per person)

hotel was 1100 for 2 persons, some (i really do not know why they can work this sceme) pakistani-indian so called private car business who tried 900 baht (kamala beach), a travel agency where we booked phi phi trip came with 800 and finally, the realy thai van (private van just for us) at 'only' 600 baht after negotiation ...

Here in the "Rose of the North", it is a set fee to take taxi ...................

I'm also a great fan and satisfied customer of the Taxi services here in the North:-

Cheap, Reliable, Courteous and never a problem in regular trips for the last 10 years in Cmai.

rgdz and Yappy Hew Near to y'All,

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

Tuk-tuk mafia bribe the police and the Amphur in order to operate their extortionate trade preying on tourists. It's the same in Pattaya. Crime and business are inseparable in Thailand and what happened to the French tourists was simply a piece of enforcement reminding everyone of their power.

Thailand is very much a feudal state governed in reality by robber barons who maintain their position through nepotism, cronyism, political graft and brute violence. Unfortunately, western tourists naively assume that the police are there to maintain law and order and to protect society from criminals whereas the opposite is usually the case. Primarily, they are there to protect vested interests and to further their own ends. Any law enforcement is incidental to those aims and usually occurs whenever there is no clash in interests.

If the assailant is apprehended and prosecuted it will only be a cynical attempt to enhance Thailand's perceived image and will have nothing to do with a coherent campaign to rid their society of a criminal blight.

Think of Thailand as a beautiful model strutting down the catwalk but leaving a spoor of foul smelling hypocrisy every bit as repugnant as the dribble of sewage that often seeps seawards along otherwise paradisal beaches.

Edited by Laganside

Yes....

a tuk tuk driver took me to my hotel and told me 500bht

i said no it should be 50bht - i had no idea of the price really!

of course we were both pulling the string the other way a bit... anyway we settled on 300bht i think...... :D

but i only had 100bht in small change and the rest in 000's so i gave him the 100bht and said i'll give you the rest tomorrow.... he looked at me with a wry smile and i stumbled away towards my room.

i never saw him the next day, it was a few days later later whilst i was walking down the beach road, i heard his voice shouting at me - he was laughing too and make a joke of the situation. He made me smile so i called him over and gave him the other 200bht...... he was very happy! me too

after all a deal is a deal! - oh forgot to say, i got free entertainment too on the way back to my hotel, he was telling me all sorts of wierd jokes - almost crashed his Tuk Tuk he was lauguhing so much!

amarka :)

Well, Phuket tuk tuks are a true disaster

But I wouldn't complain about Chiang Mai and other places in the North

Many times I got a great service there, been charged very modest price and many drivers could speak pretty good English

UPDATE

TAT 'worried' about Phuket tuk-tuk gangs

gallery_327_1086_15668.jpg

The area where an attack on a French family took place on Saturday, along with the alleged assault weapon (inset).

Chalong Police have already issued a summons to question the prime suspect in the case.

PHUKET CITY: The director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) office in Phuket says her agency is 'working on a plan' to deal with aggressive tuk-tuk drivers in Phuket, the Gazette has learned.

Bangornrat Shinaprayoon, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) South Region Four office in Phuket, today told the Gazette today that she was aware of the problems, but said her office in Phuket Town had not received many complaints from tourists over the issue.

"We have a plan which has not been made public yet. We have to wait for it to be announced by the Minister of Tourism and Sports. The problem is very important as it affects tourism, so I would like local organizations including the police to co-operate to work out the problems," she said.

The Gazette explained that its editorial offices and on-line forum have been flooded with complaints from around the globe by disgruntled tourists complaining about being overcharged for tuk-tuk rides or forced out of public parking areas by gangs of tuk-tuk drivers who monopolize them illegally for their own benefit. Many have vowed never to return to the island as a result of their experiences with taxi and tuk-tuk drivers.

Ms Bangornrat, who took up her post last month, said word-of-mouth complaints among foreign tourists about transport in Phuket was certain to have a negative impact on tourism, but it is difficult to assess exactly what the long-term effects have been.

"I haven't had any information about the impact on tourism, but I can say that the TAT is concerned about this matter," she said.

Last month, the TAT governor held meetings in Bangkok to try and solve transport problems there as well, and police were asked to play a more active role, she said.

Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop has already set up a work group to study the issue, she said.

At a meeting of Provincial Department Heads at Phuket Provincial Hall this morning, Gov Wichai raised the topic of tuk-tuk gangs and said his office had received numerous complaints, especially from Patong.

In some cases, people who defy tuk-tuk drivers' demands not to park in certain public parking areas have had their vehicles vandalized, he said.

Other tourists have complained about being overcharged for damages to rental cars, he told the meeting.

Gov Wichai asked the heads of each department to work on the problem, but no official strategy was announced.

In an update on the case of the French family who were attacked outside Karon Municipality offices in Kata by a man thought to be a tuk-tuk driver, Chalong Police say they know the identity of the man and that a summons for him to appear for questioning has been issued.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/12/29

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I do not know for how long you have been living here and know about all the bad things. But I am afraid the Governor has been living here much, much longer. You think he does not know?

That's really my point....apathy.

For sure he knows too darn weel...maybe even he has his finger in the pie? This would not surprise me at all. But he will do absolutely nothing unless he gets volumes of written complaints. Too much bar talk and not enough action. If needs be ...write to TAT.....the Thai embassy in your country....etc.

Doesn't seem to matter how many of these outrages there are. The Thais still think there will be another plane full of tourists arriving next week.. They aren't worried about repeat customers.. They are too busy learning Russian and Chinese to care about a few Euro farangs..

Only wish that the Thai Govt would act like the Chinese Govt. People who embarrass the country and cause harm to tourists are usually executed there...

Hope the slimy wa*ker get's a good hiding.. Be less than he deseves for attacking an elderly couple.. I thought that age was respected here..

After 20 years of living and working here I can see that it is only getting worse...

Very sad incident for the French family and let's hope they actually do the guy for his actions eh. :)

Sry for not reading all the posts but I noticed a figure of 7% GDP banded about for tourism. For one, it is a substaintial amount and part of the economy and this 'mere' 7% would affect many persons' income and employment. The figure does not include all those 'indirect' additions ...one of them being all those ladies out there that benefit from a farang visting them for special services. I read some time ago that at any given point, some 80,000 ladies rely on this foreign input. Furthermore, all those shops selling non-specific tourist items/ non-specific services are not included etc. It is surely not a concrete figure, just a ballpark, but as the Tuk Tuk picture sign on P2/3 ? 'No farang, I die' would apply to many and without this important part of the GDP which as I also know in reality exceeeds 10% up to 12.6% (King, V.T., Rigg , J. 2002' ish)...hundreds of thousands would be affected by it's demise. (wiki is great but not perfect, sry)

Incidents like this appear to be on the increase (or is it just that Thai Visa forward many of them/I'm noticing), and just put many farangs off visiting Thailand while they are in their decision making process as to where to spend their money for a vacation. The holiday maker has many choices of destination and in their choice a general consideration is to go somewhere that is 'safe' as a family; Phuket has just lost some 'decision makers' for sure and probably quite a few French people as I'm sure it's hit the press there.

As a couple of posters pointed out: the links between police and crime plus corruption; until this is addressed, not much will change for Thailand, but maybe in about 200 years or so ...it's still a developing country far behind the 'west'.

I stopped taking my family to Phuket for the simple reason you can't go anywhere without being ripped off severely or having to argue to get a decent price ( I mean 200 baht for a tuk tuk to go 100m in Patong is a joke ) - it ruins the holiday and there plenty of other beaches in Thailand where it doesn't happen

I will be heading to Krabi, and once there will be renting a motorbike. Much better prices than Phuket for one thing.

Scum. Short and simple.

How do you know?? Were you there??

Talk about pronouncing guilt without evidence. And they were French!! I would back the Tuk Tuk driver until proven otherwise.

Are you trying to earn the label too?

I have lived in Phuket long enough that I it would be very difficult for me to believe a Tuk Tuk driver. A rather large percentage of these people are out and out criminals and know they can get away with assault or anything else on foreigners as long as they pay off the police.

Hope they catch the man who attacked these Tourists.

Having said that though, It is like Parking the Car on a Motorcycle Taxi Rank - There are no signs telling us not to, we just use our common sense really and not park there to avoid this type of trouble.

The tourists on holiday should have moved on really to avoid this, afterall, they are visitors in this Country.

That is what I think anyway.

No they should not have moved. The tuk tuk driver should have been shot in the face by the police and what ever dreg filth it called a family charged for the bullet.

period.