Chanote Sale Time Frame

We found three Rai at a reasonable price and hope to buy it. We went to the land office in Rayong with a copy of the chanote. We were told everything appears to be in order.

My question is, at what point is the new chanote issued? Is it the point of sale or is there a waiting period while the land office in essence does a title search. I have read on this forum that there is a three month wait ,while the land office looks for "claims against" the title.If this is the case, and there is a claim what happens next?

this goes back to my original question: everything is ok on my mother in law's chanote. but she wants/we want to transfer it to my husband. we did all thepaper work, paid all the fees, gave a power of attorney to the mother in law to finish with the procedure since we had to return to israel, and have been waiting for the surveyor for the past 5 months. as far as i understood, the land is 'chanoted' already in mom in laws name. but the land must be resurveyed for whatever reasons therein waiting in line to be surveyed.

in my other thread, i asked that question, and was told that it could drag on for much much longer than a few months. maybe upcountry large changwat like korat is more problematic.?

we are waiting and seeing next month.

bina

israel

this goes back to my original question: everything is ok on my mother in law's chanote. but she wants/we want to transfer it to my husband. we did all thepaper work, paid all the fees, gave a power of attorney to the mother in law to finish with the procedure since we had to return to israel, and have been waiting for the surveyor for the past 5 months. as far as i understood, the land is 'chanoted' already in mom in laws name. but the land must be resurveyed for whatever reasons therein waiting in line to be surveyed.

in my other thread, i asked that question, and was told that it could drag on for much much longer than a few months. maybe upcountry large changwat like korat is more problematic.?

we are waiting and seeing next month.

bina

israel

bina, in your thread didn't you say that the land didn't have a chanote?

Here is a quote from you from your thread:

"we (hubby and i) went with MIL in may 2009 to move a small piece of ex paddy land (sor kor 1) to chanote in hubby's name. all the paperwork was completed in kornbury (korat) and in the local amphur (soeng saeng) offices."

Are you saying there now is a chanote but that it is in your MIL's name? I'm surprised that there would be a chanote already if a survey is still required.

An existing Chanote, without any encumbrances registered on the back, can be transferred immediately to the new owner at the Land Office once the taxes/fees are paid. All claims registered on the Chanote must first be settled before the land can be sold. Don't you want to have the land markers checked (resurveyed) first?

If there seems to be a question as to their placement we will have a survey. it should be simple arithmetic to measure the area and see if it comes out to three rai

i understood that the land was already chanote'd, but due to language barriers (i speak thai but not real estate-eese in thai) and possible comprehension problems by the MIL it could be that it was still in process ?

if we actually get the thing done, i will post back with copy to show, so i can understand better. we paid all transfer fees, everything. im thinking to have BIL copy and send us the papers so we can see better what is going on...

the land was originally rice paddy land so what would the sequence of processes that the parcel would have to go thru, and what would they be called? that would help me clarify my question...

thanx

bina

israel

A chanote is a proper title deed you do not need any additional surveys. You can sell and transfer this kind of title deed

to anyone without any problem. I think you are mistaken and probably do not have a proper chanote. There are all sorts of title deeds. Farmland cannot be turned into a chanote.

Farmland cannot be turned into a chanote.

There is actually a process now under which "farmland" titles can be upgraded to Chanote ti din. I believe, however, there is a restriction for ten or twelve years thereafter during which such upgraded land cannot be sold.

clarified: sor khor 1...!!!

makes me crazy: probably waiting to get more and more money from mother in law; the land was surveyed when we were there; but then how much longer? there in lies the confusion of course. we can build a house there anyway, since in reality nothing will happen (im not planning on building a farang palace, just a small thai issan style block house on stilts that MIL et al would probably live ) but the plan was to have the papers in husband's name. that wass the main thing... he says jai yen...

now he's on the phone to find out what she was actually told...

bina

israel

Sor Kor 1 (S.K. 1), is a notification form of possession of land. This document entitles the holder to occupy and utilize the S.K. 1 land, SK. 1 land may be sold or transferred to the other if the holder abandons the intention to possess the land and delivers S.K. 1 land to the transferee, it also may be passed on by inheritance. Depending on the land’s location, this document may be upgraded to Nor. Sor. 3, Nor. Sor. 3 Gor or Nor. Sor. 4 (Chanote). Sor. Kor. 1 has never been issued since 1972.