Car Smashed

Had my first experience of Thailands drink drive laws last night after one hit my car, and I am not impressed.

At 02.15 this morning I was woken up by someone ringing my bell. Went down stairs and a neighbour was pointing to an accident that had happened across the road. I could see my car had been hit badly.

I went across to take a look and there were 2 other cars involved. One other was a victim like me and the third car was driven by the drunk. The story goes that this guy was driving down the road, no lights on, hits another car in the rear. This car stops, the other driver attempts to make a break for it, gets past this car, looses control, smashes into the side of mine. Reverses out of mine and smashes into the first car he hit, this time causing damage to the front. He can't drive his car now. Police are called and already there when I arrive. Someone points out the driver who caused the damge, I watch him and striaght away can see he's been drinking. He speak some English so I tell him what I think of him and he speaks back to me and I can smell his breathe, very strong smell of booze. I get my partner to tell the police he has been drinking and what are they going to do about it? I was told he would have to go to the police station, and was advised I needed to attend also.

So of I go to soi 8. This drunk turns up after me, nothing is done with him. I am getting more and more angry. I am informed he will be tested to see how much booze he has in him. But nothing seems to happen. The insurance people are there doing their reports, the police are writing reports and we are just hanging around and waiting. Then some action starts to take place and I am told he is going to be fined for drink driving. At last I think. He goes to a desk, gives over his licence, pulls out a 500 Baht note, gets his licence back and 100 Baht change. He then walks out of the police station, still drunk, but a free man. I ask what is happening. He has been fined for drink driving. What, thats it I say. Yes is the reply.

So, that is Thai justice for someone who was very drunk, unable to stand properly, slurring his speach, gets behind the wheel of a car and drives it, has an accident damaging two other cars and attepts to flee the scene. 400 Baht fine and allowed to go straight back out and drive himself back home potentially able to do the same again.

I am now left with a very badly damaged car (in the UK it would be an insurance write-off) which will be off the road for at least 4 weeks lossing me money as this is a rental car owned by my company that I will not be able to rent out. I have asked my insurance company if I can claim for loss of income as he was a drunk driver. You can try was the responce, but its nothing to do with us, you need to talk to his insurance company. So, that doesn't look promising.

What an experience this has been for me. When I compare what would have happened to that man if he had done the same in the UK to here, there is no comparison.

Dont let a negative attitude cause you to give up.

Did he have insurance ?

If so, his insurance company should make good.

If not you may be able to attach some or all of his assets.

He may own a home or condo.

I had my apt burglarized while we were away for the weekend.

Police did almost nothing except write some reports.

But the apt building Juristic person eventually collected money from the salaries of the 12 security guards that failed to protect us and I got half of the money stolen back with a check.

No insurance and I still got some compensation.

TIT does not always apply.

Had my first experience of Thailands drink drive laws last night after one hit my car, and I am not impressed.

At 02.15 this morning I was woken up by someone ringing my bell. Went down stairs and a neighbour was pointing to an accident that had happened across the road. I could see my car had been hit badly.

I went across to take a look and there were 2 other cars involved. One other was a victim like me and the third car was driven by the drunk. The story goes that this guy was driving down the road, no lights on, hits another car in the rear. This car stops, the other driver attempts to make a break for it, gets past this car, looses control, smashes into the side of mine. Reverses out of mine and smashes into the first car he hit, this time causing damage to the front. He can't drive his car now. Police are called and already there when I arrive. Someone points out the driver who caused the damge, I watch him and striaght away can see he's been drinking. He speak some English so I tell him what I think of him and he speaks back to me and I can smell his breathe, very strong smell of booze. I get my partner to tell the police he has been drinking and what are they going to do about it? I was told he would have to go to the police station, and was advised I needed to attend also.

So of I go to soi 8. This drunk turns up after me, nothing is done with him. I am getting more and more angry. I am informed he will be tested to see how much booze he has in him. But nothing seems to happen. The insurance people are there doing their reports, the police are writing reports and we are just hanging around and waiting. Then some action starts to take place and I am told he is going to be fined for drink driving. At last I think. He goes to a desk, gives over his licence, pulls out a 500 Baht note, gets his licence back and 100 Baht change. He then walks out of the police station, still drunk, but a free man. I ask what is happening. He has been fined for drink driving. What, thats it I say. Yes is the reply.

So, that is Thai justice for someone who was very drunk, unable to stand properly, slurring his speach, gets behind the wheel of a car and drives it, has an accident damaging two other cars and attepts to flee the scene. 400 Baht fine and allowed to go straight back out and drive himself back home potentially able to do the same again.

I am now left with a very badly damaged car (in the UK it would be an insurance write-off) which will be off the road for at least 4 weeks lossing me money as this is a rental car owned by my company that I will not be able to rent out. I have asked my insurance company if I can claim for loss of income as he was a drunk driver. You can try was the responce, but its nothing to do with us, you need to talk to his insurance company. So, that doesn't look promising.

What an experience this has been for me. When I compare what would have happened to that man if he had done the same in the UK to here, there is no comparison.

The irony is that the drunk drivers insurance is probably invalidated now as he was charged with being drunk. Had he not been charged, they would more likely have had to pay out for the damage. Seems strange but I would not be surprised if they refuse to pay for anything let alone the loss of earnings and for that they have you to thank. Your upstanding actions may have just cost you a heap more money directly or indirectly.

Does that means if person "A" drove a car and happen to knock/smashed another car without causing any injury to another party could get away with only THB 400 in fines if person "A" reports that he was drunk during the accident happen? :D

If that is the case, might advice all drivers to have an unopen beer can/bottle in the car so if anything happens, just drink a can/bottle and pretend to be drunk so the fine would only be THB 400. :D

I bet this so called law doesn't apply to farangs driving in LOS.

Oh well! even a murderer could get bail in this country :o

Explorer :D

No claim against the insurance company. They say they don't cover loss of income, or if I had to rent a car for a month, this also wouldn't be covered. That is my expence. They suggested I spoke with the police to get them to get the money? So called the officer dealing today. Nothing he can do either, says we need to contact the driver and ask him to compensate me, and if he doesn't we need to take him to court.

Not fair is it! If I didn't have another car I would have to rent a car for 4 weeks at my own cost through this idiot driving whilst drunk. This could happen to any of us obviously.