New Way To Steal Money, Jewelry In Thailand.

Ken

The local village "gossip" is going on about some Thai Thieves working their way around the area. I am being told that this was also reported recently in one of the Thai newspapers (Daily News?).

Basically I'm told the "Thieves" act out that they are selling some product to the potential victim and somehow rub some kind of "drug" onto the skin. This drug supposedly does not knock you out, but puts you in some kind of daze or trance where you willingly hand over your money, jewelry, whatever.

The locals are insisting it is true and even have a couple of local Farangs convinced (but not this one :D )

Anybody else heard of such a story being reported. If such a drug exists, it sure sounds like it's got some potential for more than just stealing money, jewelry. :o

Duh.......I've tried telling them I don't believe in Ghosts either, but they still insist. :D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Suggestive' drugs have been experimented with but AFAIK none have truly the results you are looking for or describing..

Combine DMSO (a ctalyst which allows skin based absorbtion of other drugs) and LSD in high enough doses would put the person it was administed to in a state where they might possible be pursaded into doing something illogical like this.. Then again they might see green monkeys running out of your ears and decide thier hair is diving messages from the space pixies..

DMT or Ketamine administered in a similar fashion would probably have too high a sedative / knockout effect..

Lots of ways sedatives could be employed in this manner for knockout though.

This type of "drug" is used all of the time... it is called "marketing". This is where a company (or more sinisterly, a government) insists that everyone must have this "new, redeveloped" product, regardless of the cost, and should therefore toss away their earned money, into a sinkhole.

This product, undoubtably, is called "Thailand", or as commonly called by the addicts as, LOS.

I have first hand experience (unfortunately) with the "knock out" drugs as I got "robbed" many years ago in Bangsaen (near Pattaya). Bad girls, wrong place, wrong time. :o

But this story goes on about the thieves even taking you to your Bank ATM and you willingly withdraw money and give it to them. I say "rediculous", and the locals are just looking at me like I must be stupid for not believing. Afterall it's even being reported in the Thai News. :D

The local village "gossip" is going on about some Thai Thieves working their way around the area.  I am being told that this was also reported recently in one of the Thai newspapers (Daily News?).

Basically I'm told the "Thieves" act out that they are selling some product to the potential victim and somehow rub some kind of "drug" onto the skin.  This drug supposedly does not knock you out, but puts you in some kind of daze or trance where you willingly hand over your money, jewelry, whatever.

The locals are insisting it is true and even have a couple of local Farangs convinced (but not this one :D )

Anybody else heard of such a story being reported.  If such a drug exists, it sure sounds like it's got some potential for more than just stealing money, jewelry. :o

Duh.......I've tried telling them I don't believe in Ghosts either, but they still insist. :D

That story is quite handy for people with a gambling problem and who have sold their own household items and jewelery or emptied the bank account in order to settle some debts . :D

Thank you for that Pensman about the gambling. That was one of my reactions, but of course "they" respond back it was in the News, she's not like that, blah blah blah. :o

To add to this "story". This morning one of the local Farang's came over and insisted that yesterday two of these Thai's came to his house, but his wife, having been forwarned somehow got them out of there before anything "bad" could happen. These two guys supposedly moved on to a nearby village and "got" one of the locals there that this Farang know. Now everybody thinks it is "gospel". I'm saying it is just gossip.

Still wondering if there really has been anything in the papers about such a thing. :D

The local village "gossip" is going on about some Thai Thieves working their way around the area.  I am being told that this was also reported recently in one of the Thai newspapers (Daily News?).

Basically I'm told the "Thieves" act out that they are selling some product to the potential victim and somehow rub some kind of "drug" onto the skin.  This drug supposedly does not knock you out, but puts you in some kind of daze or trance where you willingly hand over your money, jewelry, whatever.

Anybody else heard of such a story being reported.  If such a drug exists, it sure sounds like it's got some potential for more than just stealing money, jewelry. :o

This same thing apparantly happened to my sister inlaw on a bus in Bangkok, she woke up on the seat, with all of her gold and money gone. A lady started chatting with her and touched her hand and next thing she was out cold.

My wife told me that this has also happened to a few of the girls in her office, so they obviously are using something, could it be a clauroform (spelling) type drug?

Geeesh. I don't know folks, but if there really was such a "drug" (easily available) then things like "date rape", etc. might take on a whole new era. Funny, I've not heard of this "marvel drug" before this recent "gossip". Any other papers, media reporting these "crimes"? :o

This is not a new story. It was big news about 15 years ago and a gang was caught. I don't think it was ever explained if they were really using any kind of substance or not. That was the popular theory though as victims weren't injected with anything but hadn't really got any explanation for why they just handed over their valuables. If I remember rightly, the old Robinson at Victory Monument was where the gang operated.

That story is quite handy for someone with a gambling problem and who have sold  their own household stuff and jewelery or emptied the bank account in order to settle some debts .  :o

This is not a new story. It was big news about 15 years ago and a gang was caught. I don't think it was ever explained if they were really using any kind of substance or not. That was the popular theory though as  victims weren't injected with anything but hadn't really got any explanation for why they just handed over their valuables. If I remember rightly, the old Robinson at Victory Monument was where the gang operated.

Ok. So far then, I'm remaining convinced that this is another one of those "non-sense" stories that circulate from time to time, perhaps triggered by someone needing to explain their gambling losses. :D

The old story not quite 15 years ago was where the girl would pick up the farang...usually a freelance situation....in the hotel she would shower and then rub a drug on her nipples....she would then get you to suck on her nipples and out you would go...she would then shower...take what she wanted and leave...I got done like this with a girl from the Nana Hotel...luckily I only lost about 1500 baht...and had a nightmare flight home...

I think this new thing is a bit of a story though....

The old story not quite 15 years ago was where the girl would pick up the farang...usually a freelance situation....in the hotel she would shower and then rub a drug on her nipples....she would then get you to suck on her nipples and out you would go...she would then shower...take what she wanted and leave...I got done like this with a girl from the Nana Hotel...luckily I only lost about 1500 baht...and had a nightmare flight home...

I think this new thing is a bit of a story though....

I agree, the "old story" goes back maybe 10 years ago or so, as I recall. As I stated earlier, it also happened to me in that time frame, and sorry to say it was for a lot more than 1500 Baht, but that's another story. :D

And this new story with the "trance" drug or whatever, to my way of thinking is just that, a story. But due to the insistance of everyone up here that it is "for real", I just had to ask for some other "opinions" or if anyone could point me to some other news that would substantiate the "stuff" flying around up here in the villages. :o

Edited by Ken

Here is the story i got from my wife, and one of my thai neighbors who both believe in this. But according to the is there are no drugs involved. These people have some black magic powers. About six months ago, this girl told my wife that she was walking on second road near big C in Pattaya when three girls approached her.they started a friendly conversation, then touched her wrist, and she gave them all herjewlry she was wareing, about 6000 baht, and gave them all the money she had. Thais are very superstisous ( i don't think i spelled this correctly) asnd firmly believe in this so called black magic.

Ok. So far then, I'm remaining convinced that this is another one of those "non-sense" stories that circulate from time to time, perhaps triggered by someone needing to explain their gambling losses

Maybe it's the same drug that seems to make all girls I meet "lose their mobile phones" or makes "their father seriously ill in hospital and I have no money to pay".

Any excuse to get extra money or as Pensman says to cover gambling debts.

I believe in the story of Thai bars girls rubbing their nipples with some kind of drug or placing a drug in a guys drink and knocking him out but just touching someones wrist and transferring the drug ......... never. :o

more likely to be an urban myth .

i have heard this one as well .

the thieves would need to wear rubber gloves to administer the stuff ,but the thais dont seem to understand this.

if such a thing existed the military and police would have it.

and western thieves would be using it en masse ,and they arent

it would also need to be very potent to work thru the skin.

Here is the story i got from my wife, and one of my thai neighbors who both believe in this. But according to the is there are no drugs involved. These people have some black magic powers. About six months ago, this girl told my wife that she was walking on second road near big C in Pattaya when three girls approached her.they started a friendly conversation, then touched her wrist, and she gave them all herjewlry she was wareing, about 6000 baht, and gave them all the money she had. Thais are very superstisous ( i don't think i spelled this correctly) asnd firmly believe in this so called black magic.

I watched a programme on channel 4 in the UK last night

where this bloke called Daren Brown went up to people in

the street and asked them for directions and then asked them for thier

wallets, keys,phones ect and the people just gave them to him.

the "victims" said they don't know why they gave their things to him,

they just did.

Maybe no drugs need to be used just the power of the mind

:o

more likely to be an urban myth .

i have heard this one as well .

the thieves would need to wear rubber gloves to administer the stuff ,but the thais dont seem to understand this.

if such a thing existed the military and police would have it.

and western thieves would be using it en masse ,and they arent

it would also need to be very potent to work thru the skin.

Not urban myth at all. Know of 3 gals this has happened to up-country. Don't know how it is passed to the skin from the other person but it's done.

The knock out drug on the mipples is 100% true and rather common according to my friend in the Embassy. This new idea - how would they apply the drug without getting it on themselves???? I can't really see it.

Maybe it is John Krukowski trying out a sideline.... :o

:D Thank you so much for the replies folks. I think I have enough "ammunition" now to go back to the "stupid" Farang's who seem to be believing this (and think I'm "stupid" for not). Now the Thai superstitious stuff, I will never be able to convince the Thai's, but never mind.

I would tend to agree on the "urban legend" thing. And for the poster who says he "knows 3 girls" upcountry this has happened to, like RDN says, if you didn't "witness" it how do you "know" it's true....just because they said so?

Thanks again. :o

Put me down for a trial bottle of the magic potion   :D

If it works maybe we could sell it to the military for big bucks. :o

Yep , hahaha ...

No , this is truly a very nonsense story and a prime ex. of a urban myth . Sure there are a lot of chemical substances which go through the skin but there are some sidenotes . First , the chemical substance needs to be very strong , due to the nature of the myth , you don't take a bath in the substance . So very strong because you only need a few microgram to be knocked out and go through the skin very fast . Probably , due to the nature of the myth again , you will die very fast if you have to much on your body ( if it can knock you down , it will kill you when in overdose ) . Since it is such a dangerous and strong substance it has surely some residue in the bloodstream , which means they can detect in in a hospital and more then likely you would have irritation on the contact spot ( or even burning wounds ) . No , sorry but as a chem engineer , these are just ghost stories which go on and on and at a certain point they get familiar everywhere .

Edited by pyros

I'm thinking that this could go with a previous original posting that asked the question: "You know you've been in Thailand too long when?"..... You start believing this story. :o

This is the exact same story I got from my wife I am sad to report .

It happened to her about two years ago . Some " witch " only touched her wrist and POOF the jewerly was gone ! Naturally I think this is BS . Then she tells me to ask any Thai about this happening . More than I care to admit , do think this happens . All I can say is im not Thai . As a footnote she does not gamble....much . A few hundred baht on the lottery a month .

The other thing I dont understand is if this " drug " is on the nipple or some other part of the body , why does the one with it on not get knocked out also ?

This type of "drug" is used all of the time... it is called "marketing".  This is where a company (or more sinisterly, a government) insists that everyone must have this "new, redeveloped" product, regardless of the cost, and should therefore toss away their earned money, into a sinkhole.

This product, undoubtably, is called "Thailand", or as commonly called by the addicts as, LOS.

:o And apparently it works :D The millions flocking in each year are the living proof.

I've read the one about the drugs on the nipples and did hear one farang guy mention it. Conversation went something like this:

Friend: You know xxxx who lives in my apartment building?

Me: Yes?

Friend: He took a girl back one time and apparently she drugged him and robbed him. He reckons she put drugs on her nipples.

Me: Did he by any chance need to borrow some money?

Friend: Yes

Me: Funny that!

I think I read it in a guidebook somewhere that this used to happen and I'm sure it is technically possible as you would be able to injest the drug. However I'm sure that it is extremely rare for let's face it if a ropey looking prostitute wanted to rob a drunk, naive tourist surely it would be much easier to just slip something into his drink.

As for the magic wrist potion I do remember a girl telling me once that it happened to her in a shopping centre but I don't believe a word of it. Find me a farang who has witnessed it first hand and I'll gladly dance naked down Silom soi 4 with a 1000 baht note taped to my bum.