Pattaya Takeover By Russians

andyww

And while we are in a magnanimous mood, let me also say I admire how intrepid Russians are.

They can't speak Inglit nor Thai yet they get on Baht buses to, and negotiate their way around, Thapprasit Night Market and others, buying things and just getting out there, in a way I do not think many other nationalities, not having a command of English or Thai, would do.

They leave a trail of nonplussed and irritated vendors in their wake, mind, but that's for another thread.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my first interactions with a few Russian guys. I took a songtaow from Jomtien to Pattaya (I usually take motocy taxi but mia noi

is deathly afraid now after an accident). Soon 2 30ish Russian guys jump on and usually they are stone faced and quiet but these guys started

talking to me. I speak a little russian Previet, cadzulla, carashoke, parkar etc. Their english was poor at best. Anyways they didnt seem put off

when i said i was american and even said "oh u guys number one strong now". So we chatted away best we could and they seemed

very well natured and i felt comfortable around them.

Then we stopped and picked 2 Finnish guys and they instantly joined into our conversation. I could see the Finns DID NOT like it when

they learned the 2 guys were russian and gave me the hairy eyeball when i said i was american. The Finns were rude to the point i

started thinking a fight was brewing (only from the Finn side.) I got really bad vibes from them.

I'm not a Fin but I understand why they don't like Russians. What the Russians did to them over a long period of time is not very nice. If you live in a country like theirs and are raised on a kitchen table, listening to fathers, telling stories about Russians, of course you won't like Russians.

Nowadays (until a year ago or so) rich Russians are driving in their huge 4-wheel drives into Finland and are buying all the nice properties on the lakes, making it impossible for the Fins to buy a cottage themselves anymore....!

It's the same all over the world; many nations in Europe are still having problems, talking about "Germans".

It will fade away over time.

What about the Vietnamese....if they meet Americans ?

I think we all could learn a bit from the Vietnamese of what I see and hear; forgiveness is the -most difficult- word they practice and that war is even closer than WWII.

LaoPo

Had my first interactions with a few Russian guys. I took a songtaow from Jomtien to Pattaya (I usually take motocy taxi but mia noi

is deathly afraid now after an accident). Soon 2 30ish Russian guys jump on and usually they are stone faced and quiet but these guys started

talking to me. I speak a little russian Previet, cadzulla, carashoke, parkar etc. Their english was poor at best. Anyways they didnt seem put off

when i said i was american and even said "oh u guys number one strong now". So we chatted away best we could and they seemed

Then we stopped and picked 2 Finnish guys and they instantly joined into our conversation. I could see the Finns DID NOT like it when

they learned the 2 guys were russian and gave me the hairy eyeball when i said i was american. The Finns were rude to the point i

started thinking a fight was brewing (only from the Finn side.) I got really bad vibes from them.

I'm not a Fin but I understand why they don't like Russians. What the Russians did to them over a long period of time is not very nice. If you live in a country like theirs and are raised on a kitchen table, listening to fathers, telling stories about Russians, of course you won't like Russians.

Nowadays (until a year ago or so) rich Russians are driving in their huge 4-wheel drives into Finland and are buying all the nice properties on the lakes, making it impossible for the Fins to buy a cottage themselves anymore....!

It's the same all over the world; many nations in Europe are still having problems, talking about "Germans".

I think we all could learn a bit from the Vietnamese of what I see and hear; forgiveness is the -most difficult- word they practice and that war is even closer than WWII.

LaoPo

If Finns don't like Russians, maybe they should take down that big statute of Tsar Alexander II in Helsinki and rename one of the main streets running through the center of town.

czar-alexander-ii_~IS497-948.jpg

As for Vietnamese, I was in HCMC and everyone I met was fine with me being American. Of course, that was in the south and we were allies during the war. I wonder if I would have felt any different in Hanoi?

When I first came to Samui in 2007 I took an island tour in one of those jeeps. My companions were two young Russian couples and a couple young Finn guys. Everyone got along fine.

LaoPo

Pah, that's nothing. Real rivalry comes from football - you should see the Dutch and Germans get together!

Masses of Russians, couples and families, who seem to be spending copiously in the shops and restaurants. They are everywhere in huge numbers.

...a sentence by the OP.

Facts are different. Russians are a minority in tourism to Thailand.

As an example: arrivals via Suvarnabhumi - Bangkok in 2008 Jan>Dec:

Russians: 261,000

Americans: 554,000

UK: 668,000

Germany: 450,000

France 321,000

Japan 1.058.000

China 700,000

Korea 600,000

At that's just the numbers via Bangkok Suvarnabhumi.

"Masses of Russians........Huge numbers.........."

anyone a cookie ? :)

source: International__Tourist_Nationality__Suvarnabhumi_2008___Jan___Dec_2008_on_3_rd_Feb_2009.xls

Conclusion: the OP is exaggerating.

LaoPo

How about a doughnut ?

Most of the Russians take direct flights into Uptapao Airport from Russia

True

Bunch of them fly in via Utopao and go straight to Pattaya Park. I guess they are just too lazy for independent trip and prefer all included vacations in Pattaya Park pigbarn

If Finns don't like Russians, maybe they should take down that big statute of Tsar Alexander II in Helsinki and rename one of the main streets running through the center of town

------------------------------------

Koheesti!! you do not know, and you shall not speculate. Finnish people are able to like people that treat them good. But they were treated really really bad during the comunism-regim in Russia. So it is clearly understandable that finnish people plus extremely many other people in Europe just dont like the russians.

But for me, I think that there of course must be at least some good guys in Russia, and them I can like and relate to.

Will also clarify new money.. new money in Russia does not at all mean that average-Joe in russia have money. From my own horizon that means that the maffia has raised in Russia and other criminal elements. ordinary people in Russia are like everywhere else the big loosers, sorry to say.

Glegolo

LaoPo

If Finns don't like Russians, maybe they should take down that big statute of Tsar Alexander II in Helsinki and rename one of the main streets running through the center of town.

czar-alexander-ii_~IS497-948.jpg

As for Vietnamese, I was in HCMC and everyone I met was fine with me being American. Of course, that was in the south and we were allies during the war. I wonder if I would have felt any different in Hanoi?

When I first came to Samui in 2007 I took an island tour in one of those jeeps. My companions were two young Russian couples and a couple young Finn guys. Everyone got along fine.

If you insist on speaking sensibly - please go somewhere else, LOL

If Finns don't like Russians, maybe they should take down that big statute of Tsar Alexander II in Helsinki and rename one of the main streets running through the center of town

------------------------------------

Koheesti!! you do not know, and you shall not speculate...

I was replying to someone else's post.

I thought this was supposed to be about Russkies, not Suomians (sic). I don't think many of us give a fin about Figs.

Would it be too cumbersome to rename this thread "Pattaya Takeover By Russians Thread Taken Over By Finns"? :)

-----------------------------------------

HAHAHA WHY CHANGE, WHAT´S THE DIFFERENCE REALLY.. :D:D:D

GLEGOLO

Just following a discussion abut Russians in Pattaya. And I still mean this is not a good thing for Pattaya. Most people live here can easy see this. And I also write about Indians because they are also a growing problem for Pattaya like the Russians. I love Pattaya so to see a problem growing is not so funny.

QUOTE (glegolo @ 2010-01-01 07:56:05)

QUOTE (R123 @ 2009-12-31 21:30:03)

OP writes about the Russians:

"how well turned-out and polite they are in general"

you must be joking?!

They are impolite, uncouth, treating other nationalities as invisible and inferior.

Most of the russians are cheaply attired and ask the Thai's what they think about them and most will say they dislike them for their unpleasant manners, impoliteness and meanness.

-------------------------------

Right on the spot.... keep out of their way. Russians have never been any good news to anyone in this world.

New money in Russia, all kind of lowlife comes to life and begin to travel. watch out!!

Glegolo

wow, Glegolo. Looks like everything simular can say about you ... personally (just based on fact how you speak about other peoples based on nationality). Unpolite, treating other nationalities as inferior and lower than him nationality, uncouth, talking in style "all russians", "russians never been good news", "all humans of planet earth", etc. This is clear example what doing propaganda, rumors, bad moods, nationalism and may be your own one random negative experience with somebody from russians. Also here is some symptoms of anxiety and may be cheap charlie syndrom...

But ... cheap charlie is not russian invention, not most of russians living abroad (like brits for example - living everywhere like locusts but not at their home country - and most of them still not understand what not everything for money!), drinking simular as russians - if not more, thinking about other nationalities as about something lowest (one from examples you can see in gatwick airport on immigration counters) and in just discussion on topic simular to this thread, i personally was asked for charity here at pattaya - and it was not russians but some brit, you cannot say negative things about full nation based on their money and wealth (which actually other huge topic), etc.

I just mean what nobody is perfect in this world and you can find bad and good guys in all nationalities. But due for that previous "cold war" your _own_ goverment propaganda you know and believe to many rumors and propaganda things which actually is not true. Same about Thais when you go to Thailand first time - you see them different than you. Simular about Russians - them is just different and it mean what you just not understand that peoples but trying to judge them and with bad manners.

Anyway, many russians living at Pattaya here and many more tourists will go here. So it not discussion who more bad or what to do or to go out from Pattaya because many russians. Better advice for you is to read something about them, try to understand and may be make new, good and real russian friends. Any other way just will increase your anger and anxiety.

By the way I not russian, but have some russian friends.

Many are involved in organized crime. They have taken over prostitution and drugs in Goa, India.

And the relevance of this comment is exactly what?

Many people of OTHER nationalities are also involved in organised crime. Others have a reputation for being bad drivers, whilst another ethnicity is famed for their culinary skills. Some just talk to loud... or too much.

India isn't in Thailand either.

Did I miss a special on narrow-view spectacles at Top Charoen or did the blinkered and bigoted posters all bring their own from home?

Masses of Russians, couples and families, who seem to be spending copiously in the shops and restaurants. They are everywhere in huge numbers.

...a sentence by the OP.

Facts are different. Russians are a minority in tourism to Thailand.

As an example: arrivals via Suvarnabhumi - Bangkok in 2008 Jan>Dec:

Russians: 261,000

At that's just the numbers via Bangkok Suvarnabhumi.

"Masses of Russians........Huge numbers.........."

anyone a cookie ? :)

source: International__Tourist_Nationality__Suvarnabhumi_2008___Jan___Dec_2008_on_3_rd_Feb_2009.xls

Conclusion: the OP is exaggerating.

LaoPo

How about a doughnut ?

Most of the Russians take direct flights into Uptapao Airport from Russia

I don't like donuts; never did :D

Further: you're wrong if you say "most Russians fly to Utapao/Pattaya.

The total number of Russians to Thailand in 2008 was: 320.714 and that was + 15,58% more than in 2007 when the number was 277.503

If 261,000 came via Bangkok that leaves how many via other airports (like Phuket) ? Exactly: 60,000 via Utapao and other airports.

A lot here seem to know so much, write a lot and bla-bla a lot but don't come up with figures and data. At least I take the effort to come up with facts:

International Tourist Arrivals to Thailand - BY NATIONALITY - January - December 2008

THAILANDInternational_Tourist_Arrivals_2008up27Mar09.xls

And...what's more:

2009:

Russian tourists to Thailand:

January: -32,46% (from 61,000 in 2008 to 41,000)

February: -32,25% (from 49,000 in 2008 to 33,000)

March: -24,05% (from 43,000 in 2008 to 33,000)

http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...iew&id=3122

SO: the OP has been exaggerating with "Masses of Russians in huge numbers); the facts show that.

Russians consume just 2,21% of total Thai inbound tourism; Americans: 4,57%; Australians: 4,77%; UK: 5,66% and even Sweden delivers more tourists: 2,69%

another Donut ? :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

^ Respectfully. while you were out garnering all these dubious statistics, the OP's assertion that there's lots of Russians about has been clarified and confirmed. There's lots and LOTS of them in and around PATTAYA. No argument. Maybe there was a rash of charter flights came in that weekend and they may have all gone by now (I won't be back down there until Sunday) but they were here and highly visible.

I would rather post no statistics and trust to casual observation than waste time generating spreadsheets whose ultimate source is some government desk jockey who will type just about anything to impress the boss.

However, for the statistically minded (and from your figures), if 260,000 arrived at Suvarnabhumi, there's a fair assumption that they mostly went to Bangkok with lesser numbers venturing to other holiday spots (like Pattaya). However, if 60,000 arrived at U-Tapao, it's not totally unreasonable to assume that the larger percentage of them came to Pattaya first (and stayed) with lesser numbers moving out to other places.

As Spock would say, "Logical Captain."

^ Respectfully. while you were out garnering all these dubious statistics, the OP's assertion that there's lots of Russians about has been clarified and confirmed. There's lots and LOTS of them in and around PATTAYA. No argument. Maybe there was a rash of charter flights came in that weekend and they may have all gone by now (I won't be back down there until Sunday) but they were here and highly visible.

I would rather post no statistics and trust to casual observation than waste time generating spreadsheets whose ultimate source is some government desk jockey who will type just about anything to impress the boss.

However, for the statistically minded (and from your figures), if 260,000 arrived at Suvarnabhumi, there's a fair assumption that they mostly went to Bangkok with lesser numbers venturing to other holiday spots (like Pattaya). However, if 60,000 arrived at U-Tapao, it's not totally unreasonable to assume that the larger percentage of them came to Pattaya first (and stayed) with lesser numbers moving out to other places.

As Spock would say, "Logical Captain."

Dubious statistics; I hear that since I became a member, 5 years go.

It's nonsense to post NO statistics at all and just observations; unless you're a walking camera with a computer attached and be at thousands of places at the same time, there's no way of counting people.

Yet, all these "dubious nay-sayers" never ever came up with any OTHER proof themselves.

I'm not saying there are not a lot of Russians at a certain given time; I'm supplying the available statistics. The point is that people like Russians are quite visible (in language and appearance) yet only a few members are probably able to tell whether they are indeed from Russia or another country in the former Soviet bloc.

And, if it's true that all 60,000 who came through Utapao and sit on a square 500 meters around Walking Street and at daytime on the beach in Jomtien, well, yes, that's a lot of Russians, but still a mere 1,000/day per year.

But, you probably know better; I'm sure, and I would like to hear where all the other foreigners are or are there just Russians in your own observations ? :)

LaoPo

Can't speak for the other nationalities although it does appear that the 'usual suspects' from the EU and US are a vanishing breed.

If you take a quick look at some Pattaya forum threads, the preoccupation with most would be seeking out the last no-fee ATM machine, the cheapest pizza and the best value breakfast buffet. This mixed with the usual complaints that the newest mall is way too up-market and the baht buses are a rip off. Since the common thread appears to be (lack of) spending money, maybe that's why the Russians with their short-term, instant liquidity are more visible while the regular farang resident-tourist stays in, sharing the odd bowl of instant noodles and bottle of water.

Many of them spend a hel_l for drinks in the 7/11"s and wandering around with their Chang bottle.

To be honest, I never got in touch with them. I much prefer prefer the pre Glasnost Pattaya though.

Happy New Year

We have several Russian Clients, they are very polite and straight, only have good expiriences with them

^ Thanks for keepin' it real.

I once saw a PDN news story about laggered up Brits getting in a serious rumble on WS but I am old, wise and open-minded enough to realise that not all Brits are Millwall supporters.

It's like those who find it hard to forget about the war.

OP writes about the Russians:

"how well turned-out and polite they are in general"

you must be joking?!

They are impolite, uncouth, treating other nationalities as invisible and inferior.

Most of the russians are cheaply attired and ask the Thai's what they think about them and most will say they dislike them for their unpleasant manners, impoliteness and meanness.

-------------------------------

Right on the spot.... keep out of their way. Russians have never been any good news to anyone in this world.

New money in Russia, all kind of lowlife comes to life and begin to travel. watch out!!

Glegolo

This the exactly the same impression i get of them here on Samui

Recently I visited Ko Samet and the beaches are crawling with giant and obese Russians.

I have never seen such huge creatures.

Every time one of them goes into the water there is fear of another tsunami!

go usa for example, you will very very impressed. Lot of obese westerners is also staying here at Pattaya.

Recently I visited Ko Samet and the beaches are crawling with giant and obese Russians.

I have never seen such huge creatures.

Every time one of them goes into the water there is fear of another tsunami!

go usa for example, you will very very impressed. Lot of obese westerners is also staying here at Pattaya.

I have never been to Russia and have no intention either but I wonder if those giants and obese Russians can beat the same kind of folks to bee seen in any of the attraction parks in Florida..... :D

Would be a nice game: who's the fattest: The Russian or The American :)

How come those Russians are so giant and obese anyway? With the Americans we know the reasons: Fast Food, Coke and other nasty fat creators in massive daily amounts.

But the Russians? :D ....Vodka with the same as above ? Or beer? I remember in my younger days that one could observe some Giant Germans as well but in those days there was no Fast Food and hardly any Coke (the drink...) but hey were giant because of drinking so much beer.

LaoPo

This is a great place to see crazy Americans! Big, small and just crazy. Amazing at how people dress and how the let themselves go!

People of Walmart

:)

I got another one, a day ago and protected myself at the very last moment, falling on the floor :D

Isn't that great? I just love those crazy people since they bring the spices in the daily average soup.

Pattaya looks like a kindergarden in comparison with Wallmart.

LaoPo