'blacklist'

An easy way to check is to apply for a visa and if you are turned down, then you are on the blacklist!

However, if you get a visa, you may discover on arrival that you are indeed blacklisted! A heroin-smuggler previously convicted and jailed in Thailand recently discovered that for herself.

Not all embassy personnel up date their S-list religiously.Sometimes the S-list updates are received late. So if you happen to apply for a visa during that window period before the up-dates are done, you may be issued with a visa.

However, at the point of entry, the immigration authorities do scan your name against their list and theirs is up-to-date. You will then be refused entry and held until you can get the next flight out!

This sounds like 'NO, BUT YES' joke. Their info is not up-to-date, but the Imm officer data is. Do they have super comps, or just some Depts do not bother to enter data?

In which case ANYTHING is possible here. :)

unfortunately a load of know-nothings saying its impossible that you are on one of the *several* blacklists that thailand operates, yes there is more than one. The truth is there is no way of knowing except to get your visa and then fly over here. If you have a second passport or nationality use that. You should dig more into the ex's family and find out how likely it is she has this power & how likely it is the relative in question would actually do it for her- i.e. did you meet the uncle who is high up in whatever ? Did he like you? etc etc.

The number of "sort of connected" thai girls who like to big up how connected they are but actually have no power at all is very high compared to how many could actually achieve something like this. So in general terms the liklihood is your ex is not able to do what she threatens and those that can do that sort of thing normally wouldnt talk about it so much. I think you shouldnt worry too much. Fly over and see. Or get a new even more connected lass and rest assured :)

thanks again for all the advice

I actually only knew the girl for 6 months, but as i found out, she was quite an evil little thing!!

and believe me, such a short time, doesn't mean that she'll let it go!

Next time i'll stick with the bar girls i think!!

So, after all the advice, i think my way forward is to speak to the consulate here in the Uk...do you think that is advisable?

Or would it be better to get someone like 'sunbelt' to check it out for me, say, the week or two before i apply for my non-imm B visa here in the uk?

Thanks again

My original post said "typically" but as some have said there may be exceptions!

Again the only way to find out is to go to court with a competent lawyer to find out the truth.

A court order from a Thai Judge saying there is no grounds for your black listing/banning does have a lot of weight with immigration. Sorry if you are a terrorist, a know drug smuggler or a pedophile you get what you deserve.

Yes I know of the case of a mistaken identity discussed on TV in which the person in trouble shares the name of a person who is blacklisted.

I know of one case in which a person was convicted by a Thai court of minor credit card fraud and imprisoned. He was actually in effect a minor drug dealer that blabbed his mouth too much off in Thai jail. When he got out of jail he returned to his home country and through the Thai court system he got the black ban lifted. One of the people he was imprisoned with was arrested for dealing large amounts of drugs at a later date and although they could not convict his prison acquaintance with evidence, by association and intelligence his black ban was reinstated and he is now PNG!

Yes there is no panacea, but a dam_n good lawyer helps!

BB

Anyway... its total crap. Need a court order to get you blacklisted. Even then you can usually return with a new passport.

They cant even apprehend you at the airport for anything apart from VERY serious offenses without good reason, evidence. Someone might accuse you of something pretty serious like theft and they could stop and question you about it at the airport but unless you were found with stolen goods they have to let you go. Basically there are rules set up to protect foreigners from wild accusations and extortion from Thai people. The powers that be are well aware of crazy jealous Thai ladies trying to stick one in you... and quite honestly they dont care about people like that and they have better things to do.

You are worrying over nothing... unless youve done something really illegal and she can PROVE it (and they can be bothered to investigate it)

Of course it's possible. She can go to a police station, particularly if she's well connected, and accuse him for any crime. If he's not in the country, he'll never know that there's a trial against him and not be informed about the outcome. If I remember correctly, that was what happened to the Australian guy who wrote a book and was charge with lèse majesté. He didn't know anything until he was arrested upon arrival in Thailand.

Load of crap!!!

Even if she accused you of raping her and had bruises and scars to prove it they wouldn't detain you at the airport. There are rules to protect foreigners. Most cases in Thailand are handled by your local police box or town police station.. they might be looking for you on the other hand.

It is not necessary to be convicted of a crime to be blacklisted, although in most cases it is the case. You can be denied entry for being considered a danger to the public security or security of the state, without being convicted for anything. That goes for entry into all countries, take the UK for instance.

While it is unlikely, it is not impossible that the GF made a statement and the government would consider someone a security risk based on that.

The girl in question has a very close family friend, who is connected to the royal police. Infact, he used to work directly for the 'son of the main man', if you get where I'm coming from!

This may sound impressive at first, but it's a 4th hand connection to an official who can actually blacklist you (family friend A knows the son B of someone high up C who can order an immigration officer D to blacklist you).

Even assuming she'd have a way to ask for you to be blacklisted, she'd have to spend a sizable pile of baht to make it actually happen. Calling in favors like that is certainly not free. Thai girls may seem to act crazy, but when it comes to spending their own money, I can assure you they're not...

Now, if her father or brother was an immigration official, then I'd be worried.

Edited by crocodilexp

An English woman who was actually sentenced to life imprisonment for herion smuggling in Thailand and then sent back to serve her sentence in England, was granted a visa for Thailand by a UK consulate/embassy very recently but she was deported on entry.

There is a 'watchlist' and and a 'blacklist', if you are alreadyin town and you happen to be on the watchlist, they just might watch you regarding on what you have been up to.But on arrival at the airport, they might decide to not take chances and refuse you entry.

If you were on blacklist before you left the country, you would know, they will definitely ask you some questions regarding why got you on that list and then advising you not to return for 10 or 99 years depending on whose dog you kicked.

About getting on that list, it could be quite easy, I have talked my way out of one (probably), when my one year visa took too long in being processed. I believe they will always want to hear your own side of the story. The Thais are very smart and will always give you the benefit of doubt.

I know about you kind of lady friend, I have been with one, they are mostly all bark and less bite. Be fair in life and never live in fear.

An easy way to check is to apply for a visa and if you are turned down, then you are on the blacklist!

However, if you get a visa, you may discover on arrival that you are indeed blacklisted! A heroin-smuggler previously convicted and jailed in Thailand recently discovered that for herself.

in the case of the heroin-smuggler... she deserved it - but still didn't answer the OP's question i.e: can someone put him on the blacklist for no reason at all?? The answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt if she can, but I know it can be done. :):D:D

i would be far more worried about her going to her contacts and trying to have someone beat you up or similar than i would about being blacklisted...far far more worried...the wrath of an angry Thai woman has no rationale!

• 4 months later...

I have 'this friend'...

I do not know anything about the behind the scenes machinations but I can tell you some details of an incident that suggests to me that there is (or at least 'was') a 'grey' list or an unofficial blacklist.

Imagine an author on controversial subjects who has never been convicted of a thought crime, let alone a crime in the real world, that he has made enemies with the law enforcement authorities of several nations due to his refusal to be censored.

Upon leaving at Thai immigration at Don Meuang he sees the officer's eyes light up at the computer terminal. After sitting for 15 minutes in an office he is released and goes on his way. No words exchanged.

But upon returning he is taken to a room and eventually to a large holding room with mostly Middle Easterners and Africans. His passport is taken. He calls his emabssy and they adamantly ask to speak to a Thai officer, that it is a crime by international law to seize a passport (pot calling the kettle black, but never mind those details). His request is ignored. He has access to food and phone calls. Eventually (30 hours later?) he is told he is refused entry. He asks for an explanation for his being refused entry and is not given one. He is told to sign a form in Thai with no translation. He refuses and is berated. just to get out of limbo he signs it. He asks for a copy and is refused. He is told he may not come to Thailand again for X period of time. He buys a ticket to another nation in the region. When he leaves Don Mueang his passport is given a stamp of expulsion/no entry with the words in Thai for 'inconsideraion'.

In another nation he goes to the local Thai Embassy and asks about this incident. He is told he is not on their blacklist and that he should just get a new passport and reapply. He does. No problem after that.

Many question marks but one thing for sure, there are actions off the books. There is law and there is what actually happens. Be happy the officers of a state don't beat you up.

Is having a person blacklisted something a disgruntled, wealthy and very vindictive former employer would be able to do to someone just to hurt them (even if they had no legal basis for doing so)?

Wait...TIT, I think I just answered my own question...