Gps Tracker

Does anyone have any experience with a GPS tracker for their car in Thailand?

I'm interested in getting one for my car that can....

a ) Place its location from my mobile phone and laptop.

b ) Override the ignition system shut off the engine should the driver stray suspiciously out of Bangkok.

c ) Be concealed.

Does anyone have advice regarding models, installation, use (tied into the car battery etc) ?

Edited by richard_smith237

The Jammers may be used by the professional car thief.

Not many private cars use a GPS tracker (it seems no one on this forum does), so I would assume that any potential opportunistic car thief will not have a jammer.

The idea of having a GPS tracker is to track the car in normal use (by the driver).

Additionally it would be to locate the car should for whatever reason the driver decided to attempt to steel it.

The fact that GPS Jammers exist is not reason enough not to get a GPS tracker which IMO is still a useful precaution.

Anyone have any further info ?

Pattaya, Tuck Kom 4rth floor, 6000 Baht per piece, black box no name, made in china, but works well!. Can ged cordinates via mobilephone and see where is the car on google map. (No real time tracking)

They can do real time tracking. Update every 30 seconds. You would need a server to receive the data, and a simcard with unlimited internet access.

One such mapping server is buddy tracker from Franson (GPS Gate).

I think the free service only allows for 3 minute interval updates...

My company uses GPS tracking for all of the company vehicles. We use a company called DTC, their website is www.dtc.co.th

We get real time tracking and a few other options but I have not seen the ability to remotely stop a vehicle. Their sales staff are knowledgeable and should be able to advise you as to whether it can be done. It is not cheap, the units per vehicle is 28,000 Baht including the fuel level sensor plus 300 Baht per month per vehicle for the tracking service. The PC software is 50,000 Baht for two copies. All of these prices were from about 2 - 5 years ago.

I do not know how easy it would be to conceal the GPS unit. There is a small box that is normally installed under the drivers seat and small antenna that is glued to the windsheild on the pickups and cars or attached to the top of the drivers side mirror on the large trucks. I guess that they could be concealed with a bit of though. All of our units are visible and the drivers handbooks clearly tells the drivers that a GPS tracking devise is fitted to the vehicle.

Barty