Portsmouth

Sparkles

I sincerely hope Portsmouth can survive but when you are hundreds of dollars of dollars in debt,can't pay your players on time, can't attract new signings to the club and you are firmly entrenched in the relegation zone you are in deep do do. Watching clubs like Portsmouth self destruct is a timely reminder that,not keeping your eye on the ball , sorry about the pun ,can only lead to disaster. How does it happen over and over again? surely there are accountants amd money men aligned with the club that could have prevented this geting to a stage where it appears irreversible .Its not like there are not precedents. If you are a Portsmouth supporter must be like watching an old friend die.

looks like a case of promises, promises i am afraid, it is always something of a shock to me to see the south coast clubs have such a hard time. my particular favourites, afc bournemouth are always on the brink of financial disaster even though they are located in a well healed part of the country.

of course i am a burnley supporter so i am used to being around a club with little or no cash.

Edited by alant

Sorry should have read 100's of thousands of dollars in debt,back to the BBQ !

Tens of millions, surely?

Play Up Pompey? More like Pay Up Pompey!

Well I have no idea and probably neither do the journalists but just noted that figure from a BBC Sport report.

Well I have no idea and probably neither do the journalists but just noted that figure from a BBC Sport report.

I think I heard a figure of 80 million, but happy for someone to correct me. Whatever it is, there is a significant black hole in the clubs finances, and it is not just money that they owe to the Inland Revenue, there are also a number of outstanding transfer Fees, so if Lens pursue it, then they could get booted out of the league like Mosuron in Belgium.

Old man is an ex Matelow, am an ex squaddie. Lived in the Pompey area for many years. Old man loves his Footie team, and now both are going through hardships (no pun), just hope Pompey can survive, would be a shame to lose such a historical football team. The Matelows will only then have Plymouth to cheer for.

Edited by beano2274

looks like a case of promises, promises i am afraid, it is always something of a shock to me to see the south coast clubs have such a hard time. my particular favourites, afc bournemouth are always on the brink of financial disaster even though they are located in a well healed part of the country.

Yeah, it's weird Al aye ??

I wonder if there's any connection between Pompey & Bournemouth, you know like Management or anything along those lines ??? :)

I think I heard a figure of 80 million, but happy for someone to correct me. Whatever it is, there is a significant black hole in the clubs finances, and it is not just money that they owe to the Inland Revenue, there are also a number of outstanding transfer Fees, so if Lens pursue it, then they could get booted out of the league like Mosuron in Belgium.

I sincerely hope not. Things like this shouldn't happen in a well-run multi million quid business.

I bet the creditors would be amenable to a well structured and financed supporters/local business rescue plan.

I sincerely hope not. Things like this shouldn't happen in a well-run multi million quid business.

The thing is there are a significant amount of football clubs which are not well run, and live well beyond their means.

The thing is there are a significant amount of football clubs which are not well run, and live well beyond their means.

But ironically, like beer bars in Pattaya (where I live), usually there's always another mug ready to come along to buy it.

But ironically, like beer bars in Pattaya (where I live), usually there's always another mug ready to come along to buy it.

:) Yeah very true, but with a football club you do really need to have very deep pockets - which would in most cases suggest that the investors do some due dilligence and have a bit of a business brain. Not sure that is always the case with the beer bar owners, who seem to basically be led by their dick.

:) Yeah very true, but with a football club you do really need to have very deep pockets - which would in most cases suggest that the investors do some due dilligence and have a bit of a business brain. Not sure that is always the case with the beer bar owners, who seem to basically be led by their dick.

I see your business brain requirement and raise you Mike Ashely and a host of others.

At least being led by your dick gets you some action somewhere along the line. And it is relatively cost effective.

Having done many due diligence exercises late into the night in London, my favourite "wouldn't touch it with a bargepole" moment was two or three seasons ago when Thaksin and some Thais ran the rule over Liverpool and declined to buy it because of its debts!!!!

When Pompey do go into liquidation and i hope they do because theyve cheated over the last few seasons, then surely there isnt a better time for the fans to buy it and run it themselves, bet all fans with the exception of joke clubs City and Chelsea wish there clubs were run in such a way now the bubble of the last 15 years is starting to burst.

The people who run the Premier League are absolute wankas letting club be bought on 100% finance ie Man U, Liverpool, a joke that they talk of fit and proper people, surely having the money to buy it without leveraging is the first thing you need to be a PROPER person.

I wonder if there's any connection between Pompey & Bournemouth, you know like Management or anything along those lines ??? :)

Singhy's at it again, 43.gif

Edited by alfieconn

Singhy's at it again, 43.gif

He's got a point Redknapp is despised by Bournemouth fans as when he left he took a golden goodbye of 200k which back then to a club like the Cherries was enough to put them on the brink of liquidation.

We'll see soon if he is guilty in the eyes of the law of being a crook.

I see your business brain requirement and raise you Mike Ashely and a host of others.

At least being led by your dick gets you some action somewhere along the line. And it is relatively cost effective.

Having done many due diligence exercises late into the night in London, my favourite "wouldn't touch it with a bargepole" moment was two or three seasons ago when Thaksin and some Thais ran the rule over Liverpool and declined to buy it because of its debts!!!!

Well you miss understand the "business brain" point - what it actually means is that you would assume that these people who invest would have a business brain, which clearly is not always the case once some of the se "astute" biz -people get their hands on a football club. One example you have given previously, and there are a fair number of others. I t never ceases to amaze me how these clubs are allowed to trade. To be honest, sooner or later an established club is going to go to the wall, and thier will be no Knight in shining armour coming to the rescue. Whilst it is unfortunate, I actually believe it may have benefits in the long term, as it could be a significant wake up call for some of those clubs that need to get their house in order. With the current economic uncertainties, poor infrastructure, lack of capacity and significant debts - Portsmouth could be the one to go.

Singhy's at it again, 43.gif and i'm sure vthey wouldn't

He's got a point Redknapp is despised by Bournemouth fans as when he left he took a golden goodbye of 200k which back then to a club like the Cherries was enough to put them on the brink of liquidation.

We'll see soon if he is guilty in the eyes of the law of being a crook.

Did he nick the 200 grand or did the board give it to him :D perhaps the fans need to look at the board and i'm sure the board wouldn't have paid him off if it meant jeopardising the future of the club.

Iv'e never heard of any manager refusing a pay off, how about yourself ? not that we will get a straight answer.

Did he nick the 200 grand or did the board give it to him :) perhaps the fans need to look at the board and i'm sure the board wouldn't have paid him off if it meant jeopardising the future of the club.

Iv'e never heard of any manager refusing a pay off, how about yourself ? not that we will get a straight answer.

Ive given you straight answers all the time, just your Yiddish delusions seem to make you unable to comprehend them, so i wrote them in the most simplest of terms.

Yes it was given to him but he left the club to assist at WestHam and ive never heard of people getting money for resigning, and no i have absolutely no morals and would take 200 grand in a brown paper bag as George Graham did and scam as much money (within reason) as i can but i'm hardly a barometer of decency when it comes to making money.

Everywhere the man goes the club ends up in financial peril just after he leaves, clubs fans arent usually wrong in their hatred of managers they believe ripped them off, a fine example of this is El Tel and his Mrs at Palace, didnt he have his snout in the trough at Spurs?

Did he nick the 200 grand or did the board give it to him :) perhaps the fans need to look at the board and i'm sure the board wouldn't have paid him off if it meant jeopardising the future of the club.

Ive given you straight answers all the time, just your Yiddish delusions seem to make you unable to comprehend them, so i wrote them in the most simplest of terms.

Yes it was given to him but he left the club to assist at WestHam and ive never heard of people getting money for resigning, and no i have absolutely no morals and would take 200 grand in a brown paper bag as George Graham did and scam as much money (within reason) as i can but i'm hardly a barometer of decency when it comes to making money.

Everywhere the man goes the club ends up in financial peril just after he leaves, clubs fans arent usually wrong in their hatred of managers they believe ripped them off, a fine example of this is El Tel and his Mrs at Palace, didnt he have his snout in the trough at Spurs?

If this is the case, so why did they give him the money ? a simple answer will suffice, not one of your long going around the houses answers.

Edited by alfieconn

Well you miss understand the "business brain" point - what it actually means is that you would assume that these people who invest would have a business brain, which clearly is not always the case once some of the se "astute" biz -people get their hands on a football club. One example you have given previously, and there are a fair number of others. I t never ceases to amaze me how these clubs are allowed to trade. To be honest, sooner or later an established club is going to go to the wall, and thier will be no Knight in shining armour coming to the rescue. Whilst it is unfortunate, I actually believe it may have benefits in the long term, as it could be a significant wake up call for some of those clubs that need to get their house in order. With the current economic uncertainties, poor infrastructure, lack of capacity and significant debts - Portsmouth could be the one to go.

Well you miss understand the "business brain" point -

No. I really got it. I was just being jocose.

Well you miss understand the "business brain" point -

No. I really got it. I was just being jocose.

:)

Back onto Portsmouth though, think thre will be a lot more coming out on how they got into this mess once Dirty Harry, Storrie and the other bloke appear in court. Redknaoo has pretty much left a trail of debt everywhere he has been - be interesting to see wha shape he leaves Spuds in when he moves on.

If this is the case, so why did they give him the money ? a simple answer will suffice, not one of your long going around the houses answers.

I dont know why,

Dnt you think its strange the police, BBC, HMRC have all been investigating him, there does seem to be a hel_l of a lot of smoke around this guy, or are you going to disagree with that just for the sake of it, and come back with another insular answer.

my answers were clear in a previous thread showing the difference between your ragbag lot and that of ManU/Lpool but you wouldnt accept an answer and would reply in the same codspeak manner, if you go back and read my and your posts youll see you never answered a simple question about which player the yids kept in their prime, yet accuse me of "going round the houses".

Edited by whichschool

I think Redknapp will be vindicated in terms of serious wrongdoing. The amount of police time spent on him so far would have yielded material results by now. Ok he may have misstated something on his tax return - who hasn't (erm, me, if the Inland Revenue are reading this), but that will be the sum total of it, I reckon.

I think Redknapp will be vindicated in terms of serious wrongdoing. The amount of police time spent on him so far would have yielded material results by now. Ok he may have misstated something on his tax return - who hasn't (erm, me, if the Inland Revenue are reading this), but that will be the sum total of it, I reckon.

With the 10s of billions of pounds that have gone through the Premier League in the last 15 years it would be a minor mirale if George Graham was the only manager to have been on the take.

I think he'll like you say he'll be found not guilty of any corruption .... just as Bruce Grobbelar was!

With the 10s of billions of pounds that have gone through the Premier League in the last 15 years it would be a minor mirale if George Graham was the only manager to have been on the take.

I think he'll like you say he'll be found not guilty of any corruption .... just as Bruce Grobbelar was!

Wasn't he subsequently found "guilty" in a civil lawsuit against The Sun?

When Pompey do go into liquidation and i hope they do because theyve cheated over the last few seasons, then surely there isnt a better time for the fans to buy it and run it themselves, bet all fans with the exception of joke clubs City and Chelsea wish there clubs were run in such a way now the bubble of the last 15 years is starting to burst.

The people who run the Premier League are absolute wankas letting club be bought on 100% finance ie Man U, Liverpool, a joke that they talk of fit and proper people, surely having the money to buy it without leveraging is the first thing you need to be a PROPER person.

Magnificent, another gem