Making Mexican Food At Home In Thailand

kikoman

I just use chili mix for me tacos. shredded lettuce, cheddar, diced tomatos, taco shells and diced onion. I hate refrieds though. I wont touch any restaurant mexi in BKK, esp the one pushed and shoved like it's god's grace of mexi food. cant do mexi rice here though which is too bad. I'll need to read this thread for stuff other than tacos so long as they're aint no refrieds in it. but my #1 point in this post is stay away from anything served in bkk at a so called mexi restaurant

Even Gilligan would say that you have a lot to learn. That's a recipe for gringo tacos. Even Taco Bell is now attempting to serve authentic tacos. (2 corn tortillas, meat, chopped onions and cilantro, served with a wedge of lime and maybe some salsa or guac)

830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

Why can't you do Mexican rice? Recipes vary, but basically you saute' onions and garlic in oil, add jasmine rice, some cumin and salt, and then liquids including chicken stock and maybe a little tomato sauce. Bring to boil, simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 more minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.

There are 3 reasonably good new Mexican restaurants in Bangkok: La Monita, Los Cabos, and Tacos & Salsa.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

I just use chili mix for me tacos. shredded lettuce, cheddar, diced tomatos, taco shells and diced onion. I hate refrieds though. I wont touch any restaurant mexi in BKK, esp the one pushed and shoved like it's god's grace of mexi food. cant do mexi rice here though which is too bad. I'll need to read this thread for stuff other than tacos so long as they're aint no refrieds in it. but my #1 point in this post is stay away from anything served in bkk at a so called mexi restaurant

Even Gilligan would say that you have a lot to learn. That's a recipe for gringo tacos. Even Taco Bell is now attempting to serve authentic tacos. (2 corn tortillas, meat, chopped onions and cilantro, served with a wedge of lime and maybe some salsa or guac)

830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

Why can't you do Mexican rice? Recipes vary, but basically you saute' onions and garlic in oil, add jasmine rice, some cumin and salt, and then liquids including chicken stock and maybe a little tomato sauce. Bring to boil, simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 more minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.

There are 3 reasonably good new Mexican restaurants in Bangkok: La Monita, Los Cabos, and Tacos & Salsa.

That Plate looks great, Home made I hope! I will have to make some tomorrow!

I can taste then already!!

Cheers::)

830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

That Plate looks great, Home made I hope! I will have to make some tomorrow!

I can taste then already!!

Cheers::)

Al pastor, from this weekend. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Next week, Puerco Pibil, based on your strong recommendation and ChefHeat's great pics, above. I'm going to have to borrow my neighbor's slow cooker, however.

Recipes vary, but basically you saute' onions and garlic in oil, add jasmine rice, some cumin and salt, and then liquids including chicken stock and maybe a little tomato sauce. Bring to boil, simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 more minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.

You forgot to mention that one should toast the rice first.

This not only helps provide that special flavor, but also aids in keeping the rice from sticking together.

Mexi rice should not be sticky.

I have a recipe posted at my website, here , complete with pics of the toasted rice and caramelized onions.

This is the recipe I used for the rice in my above pics.

Easy, and comes out great every time.

830693738_fa519d4f08.jpg

Is that al pastor homemade, or did you get ti somewhere?

My girlfriend loves al pastor over everything else Mexican, and I am partial to it, too, so I would love to know how to make it without the rotisserie-type setups you find in Mexico or California. 

OK, you can't duplicate it exactly. I have a rotisserie in my oven, but I cook the marinated pork on a BBQ grill as I prefer outdoor cooking when its hot. The key to good al pastor is the pineapple juice-chili marinade. And the difficulty in Thailand is finding dried chilies that taste like the Mexican chilies (ancho, guajillo, cascabel, de arbol, etc.) I use the common dry red chilies, and use chipotle sauce to bring out some of the smoky flavour in the marinade.

3 pounds boneless pork shoulder or tenderloin

8 dried red chilies, seeded and crushed

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 1/4 cups pineapple juice

4 cloves garlic, peeled

1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules

1 1/2 cups white vinegar

1/2 teaspoon oregano

2 teaspoons adobo or chipolte sauce

1/2 teaspoon paprika (or achiote paste)

Salt and pepper to taste

(optional spices: cinnamon, clove and cumin)

2 cups pineapple cubes or slices

chopped onion and cilantro

corn tortillas

lime wedge

salsa/guac

Soak dried chilies in warm water for about 2 hours. Remove seeds from chilies and pound up in mortar. Put in bowl, add vinegar and spices. Let sit for 20 minutes. Then, in a blender or food processor, blend the chili mixture, oil, pineapple juice, and garlic. Simmer in saucepan 15 minutes, then cool in the fridge. Slice pork thinly (I slightly freeze the pork, so that it can be thinly sliced), marinate pork in mixture about 4 hours in fridge (don't marinate too long, especially if you use fresh pineapple juice, as the acid will turn your pork into mush).

Layer the sliced pork and pineapple chunks on the BBQ grill, at medium-low heat. You will need to carefully re-layer the pork about every 5 minutes. It takes about 20-30 minutes to cook. Serve with chopped onion and cilantro on corn tortillas with lime wedge salsa/guac garnishes.

Note: if you like making shish kebabs, chunk out the pork, alternate the marinated pork, pineapple chunks and onion on your skewers then grill away.

OK, you can't duplicate it exactly.  I have a rotisserie in my oven, but I cook the marinated pork on a BBQ grill as I prefer outdoor cooking when its hot.  The key to good al pastor is the pineapple juice-chili marinade.  And the difficulty in Thailand is finding dried chilies that taste like the Mexican chilies (ancho, guajillo, cascabel, de arbol, etc.)  I use the common dry red chilies, and use chipotle sauce to bring out some of the smoky flavour in the marinade.

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 cloves garlic, peeled

1 1/2 cups white vinegar

1/2 teaspoon oregano

Salt and pepper to taste

corn tortillas

lime wedge

salsa/guac

Soak dried chilies in warm water for about 2 hours.  Remove seeds from chilies and pound up in mortar.  Put in bowl, add vinegar and spices.  Let sit for 20 minutes.    Then, in a blender or food processor, blend the chili mixture, oil, pineapple juice, and garlic. Simmer in saucepan 15 minutes, then cool in the fridge.  Slice pork thinly (I slightly freeze the pork, so that it can be thinly sliced), marinate pork in mixture about 4 hours in fridge (don't marinate too long, especially if you use fresh pineapple juice, as the acid will turn your pork into mush).

Layer the sliced pork and pineapple chunks on the BBQ grill, at medium-low heat.  You will need to carefully re-layer the pork about every 5 minutes.  It takes about 20-30 minutes to cook.  Serve with chopped onion and cilantro on corn tortillas with lime wedge salsa/guac garnishes.

Note: if you like making shish kebabs, chunk out the pork, alternate the marinated pork, pineapple chunks and onion on your skewers then grill away.

Thank you so much!

OK, you can't duplicate it exactly.  I have a rotisserie in my oven, but I cook the marinated pork on a BBQ grill as I prefer outdoor cooking when its hot.  The key to good al pastor is the pineapple juice-chili marinade.  And the difficulty in Thailand is finding dried chilies that taste like the Mexican chilies (ancho, guajillo, cascabel, de arbol, etc.)  I use the common dry red chilies, and use chipotle sauce to bring out some of the smoky flavour in the marinade.

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 cloves garlic, peeled

1 1/2 cups white vinegar

1/2 teaspoon oregano

Salt and pepper to taste

corn tortillas

lime wedge

salsa/guac

Soak dried chilies in warm water for about 2 hours.  Remove seeds from chilies and pound up in mortar.  Put in bowl, add vinegar and spices.  Let sit for 20 minutes.    Then, in a blender or food processor, blend the chili mixture, oil, pineapple juice, and garlic. Simmer in saucepan 15 minutes, then cool in the fridge.  Slice pork thinly (I slightly freeze the pork, so that it can be thinly sliced), marinate pork in mixture about 4 hours in fridge (don't marinate too long, especially if you use fresh pineapple juice, as the acid will turn your pork into mush).

Layer the sliced pork and pineapple chunks on the BBQ grill, at medium-low heat.  You will need to carefully re-layer the pork about every 5 minutes.  It takes about 20-30 minutes to cook.  Serve with chopped onion and cilantro on corn tortillas with lime wedge salsa/guac garnishes.

Thank you so much!

I live in Pattaya, grow and have fresh Ancho / Pablano, Serrano and Jalapeno chilis for sale. If anyone is interested drop me a PM.

I live in Pattaya, grow and have fresh Ancho / Pablano, Serrano and Jalapeno chilis for sale. If anyone is interested drop me a PM.

Thanks for that info. Serranos and Jalapenos can be had, but I'll contact you about the Ancho/Pablanos.

You forgot to mention that one should toast the rice first.

This not only helps provide that special flavor, but also aids in keeping the rice from sticking together.

Mexi rice should not be sticky.

I have a recipe posted at my website, here , complete with pics of the toasted rice and caramelized onions.

This is the recipe I used for the rice in my above pics.

Easy, and comes out great every time.

ChefHeat - thanks heap for that advice about toasting the rice as it comes out sticky if you don't. I made a version of Mexican fried rice last night. Came out great. My Thai GF thought it was the bomb. I didn't have all the ingredients I wanted, but here's what I did:

toasted rice, like you would toasting whole spices for Indian cooking, set aside toasted rice

Heated oil, and sauteed chopped garlic, onion and chili pepper

added rice, continued saute, then added 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp mexican oregano, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, saute for 1 minute

(was fresh out of coriander seed).:(

add 2 tbsp salsa (sorry, I haven't gotten to Tops or Villa to buy your El Sapo brand yet, as I shop at Foodland and Carrefour)

here I added frozen vegetables (peas, carrots and corn) - could have used fresh carrots and corn, but what the heck

add 1 tbsp chicken stock powder (didn't have time to make a batch of chicken stock), add water, bring to boil, simmer for 15 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes, fluff with fork

Maybe its a bit fusion: Indian (Mattar Pilau with turmeric and peas) and Mexican, but it sure tasted great. I should have garnished with green onion and fresh cilantro, but we ate it right away.

• 1 month later...

Great stuff.

Where did you find the jalapenos? I had to bring back canned chipotle in adobo from California now I'm almost out :( need to restock as soon.

just wanted to share a pic of my home-smoked and dried chipotles...

red-ripe jalapeños smoked for 18-hours using mango wood, then dried.