Making Mexican Food At Home In Thailand

kikoman

This is a good (positive) thread with lots of excellent ideas. I want to add one recipe for refried beans using local Thai ingredients.

No, it isn't as good as the authentic stuff........but I don't have access to pinto beans where I live and also can't grow them.

This recipe uses the red kidney beans you can find in Thai markets all over:

Ingredients: 1.5 cups red kidney beans, one large garlic cloves, one small onion, bacon, chicken broth, cumin

Process:

1) wash beans, and cover with water, bring to boil on high heat, remove beans and wash again (lots of color from kidney beans will be removed if you wash them at least twice and change the water each time)

2) cook beans on low until tender (takes at least three hours.....suggest soaking them overnight prior to cooking)

3) fry chopped bacon and retain bacon fat and bits

4) when beans are done/soft drain off water (but retain water in pot you coooked them in)

5) place cooked beans in processor

6) add small amount of "bean water" and "chicken broth".........maybe 75% chicken broth and 25% bean water (don't add too much liquid)

7) turn on processor and process (not totally)

8) add teaspoon ground cumin

9) add more chicken broth (not too much).......and mix again.......make it almost like you would mashed potatoes

When you get your desired consistency.......heat up wok and add the bacon fat and bean mixture and fry until warm, constantly mixing it (don't burn it)

Last, add cooked bacon bits.........work them in by hand.

That is it. It is not a bad alternative to refried beans using pinto beans.

Hi JR,

I have found dried pinto beans at Villa Market in BKK.

Reasonably priced, IMO.

Not sure about the other branches...

I purchased some pintos from Villa, they seem like a lot newer crop than those I have purchased from Foodland.

Chef Welcome Back!

Cheers: :)

• 1 month later...

good thread, love mexican food. i make my own refritos with black beans. small package of bacon in my cast iron skillet along with a few diced jalapenos and a pinch of this and that, probably a bit of garlic in there also. cook it down to get the oil out of the pork and take off the heat momentarily so that you can slice the bacon into very small bits then pour the overnight soaked black bean without water into the bacon/jalapeno/spice and cover with beer chang. mash it up good thanks to the cast iron while it cooks down into a nice paste. dam_n. gotta go to tesco now.

Found these at Carrefour today. I disagree that large chilies are hotter than small ones. That has not been my experience. So I expect these to be mild. Planning to use them for Chili Rellenos.

As you can see the largest one is 5 inches long. Debating on the stuffing. Maybe sharp cheddar.

post-79990-1267706262_thumb.jpg

For those of you that have not seen Sonora/Arizona tortillas made. Here is a good video of how they differ from the other flour tortillas made.

The Reason for the birth of the Buritto!

Thanks for that post...........interesting.......never have seen that before........reminded me a bit of watching a person make pizza dough.

I was surprised at how large the end product was......and thin..........and how fast she cooked them.

When I make them they are much smaller and thicker.......I think I would like the version in the movie.

In today's New York Times:

Tacos in the Morning? That’s the Routine in Austin (TX) -- article with great photos in audio slide show. (no recipes)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/dining/10united.html

The simplicity of the place is more than intriguing (certainly as a business concept).

The flour-based tortillas look much smaller and thicker than what Kikoman posted.

Why can't somebody open a small taqueria in Pattaya or Bangkok?

Something that does not sell everything.............just a few really good items, freshly made, and not too expensive.

Hi. Can anyone recommend a recipe for chili powder using Thai chillis?

I used the following recipe that I got from one of the cooking and recipe sites and used large dried red Thai chilis and dried chilli powder. The result did not taste bad, it just didn't taste much like Chilli Con Carne (at least not as I have made it in the US using prepared chilli powder).

CalTex Chili Powder

¼ cup toasted cumin seed, ground

2 tablespoons toasted coriander seed, ground

2 tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon toasted teicherry black peppercorns, ground

2 ¼ teaspoons chipotle chilies, ground

1 ½ teaspoons pequin chiles with seeds, ground

¾ teaspoon dried cascabels with seeds, ground

½ teaspoon ginger, ground

1 teaspoon cloves, ground

Sift all the ingredients together and store in a tightly sealed jar.

I think that the problem was the coriander, but I am not sure. Many recipes also call for oregano, which might be a good addition or substitute for the coriander. If you use Thai chillis, please describe them by color and size (large dark red, small dark red, large orange, large dark green, small dark green, large light green -- that's all I think that I have seen in the markets).

Thanks for any help.

1. Coriander leaf is a staple served in the vegetable baskets along with Thai food like blah pao (BBQ tilapia).

2. The oregano you buy at Makro (Hand No. 1 brand) is probably Italian oregano and not the Mexican variety.

3. There is most likely no direct substitute for chipotle which is a smoked prepared chili; the other 2 maybe but I have never seen a Thai chili in the market that looks like the purplish-brown cascabel.

... will probably stock-up on Gebhardt's or something next USA trip.105.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...
The pix of the fried chili's didn't come out. Here is a picture of the chili before. Can get them at any veggie market. I found these at Seri Center.

That is the same one I use in the absence of poblano.

I roast them over a fire until black then put in bag for a bit, then remove skin.

I take a knife and cut down the side, move seeds and hot vein.

Then I take four eggs, separate the egg yolk from egg white.

Then whip the egg white until frothy.

Then I mix the egg yolks in (no vigorously).

Then stuff the peppers with cheese.

Then close them with three toothpicks.

Then dust them in flour.

Then dip them in egg white/yolk mixture.

Then fry in deep oil.

Sauce? Not telling. :)

Thais actually like this version.

Found these at Carrefour today. I disagree that large chilies are hotter than small ones. That has not been my experience. So I expect these to be mild. Planning to use them for Chili Rellenos.

As you can see the largest one is 5 inches long. Debating on the stuffing. Maybe sharp cheddar.

Coincidentally I found something resembling those yesterday at Emporium but taste jalapenoish and were nice and spicy. Stuffed with marscapone. Expensive at 200baht per 100 grams but very yummy. Next to the bread section in the store.

Well J Chandler gave my Rellenos the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

Recipe

Did not bake not peel nor steam the chilis. Left all the seeds in. They were delisch.

Whatever works for you is great, I buy those type of chile's at the local market, the sellers always sets the big ones aside for me and the wife. I do toast the chile's over a fire loosens the skin and peel them, I also do as you do , I do not take the seeds or veins out. Some of these chile's are extremely spicy and taking the seeds and veins out ,make them less spicy.

Next week I am going back to the states and plan to bring back seeds from Hatch New Mexico (barkers hot) chili verde. We have never used Poblano chile's for chili rellenos in Sonora, only chili verde.

Plus some Masa Harina and thin corn tortillas, that are sold in 72 count bags for $2.67 less then 100 baht for 6 dozen, vs 12 count here for 49 baht, bag them up and freeze them.

Keep cooking,

Well J Chandler gave my Rellenos the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

Recipe

Did not bake not peel nor steam the chilis. Left all the seeds in. They were delisch.

Whatever works for you is great, I buy those type of chile's at the local market, the sellers always sets the big ones aside for me and the wife. I do toast the chile's over a fire loosens the skin and peel them, I also do as you do , I do not take the seeds or veins out. Some of these chile's are extremely spicy and taking the seeds and veins out ,make them less spicy.

Next week I am going back to the states and plan to bring back seeds from Hatch New Mexico (barkers hot) chili verde. We have never used Poblano chile's for chili rellenos in Sonora, only chili verde.

Plus some Masa Harina and thin corn tortillas, that are sold in 72 count bags for $2.67 less then 100 baht for 6 dozen, vs 12 count here for 49 baht, bag them up and freeze them.

Keep cooking,

• 1 month later...

post-91962-1274138563_thumb.jpgpost-91962-1274138664_thumb.jpg

Got back from Mexico and the States last week, brought back a 72 count bag of corn tortillas, about 7 dozen for $1.99 at El Super in Arizona. Also brought back some Masa Harina (Maseca) for a little more that $2.50 per 2 kilo bag. also some Masa making corn and some spices.

Wish I would have purchased another bag of 72 count corn tortillas!

I deleted the picture of the corn, I posted on another post.

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

Kikoman.......you seem to know a lot about cooking Mexican food in Thailand.

Any chance of opening a kiosk/taqueria? Maybe serve puerco pibil tacos.

By the way, I have never seen puerco pibil in Thailand.

Have any of you?

Have any of you?

No , I am retired and plan to stay that way. I love cooking and sharing information with others that have the same love for Mexican food.

I have made Barbacoa de Pueco in my underground pit, that is similar in many ways to your Puerco Pibil (which I also have never seen in Thailand).

Do you live in the country or the city? Many of the dishes you crave, you can make on your own if you have some yard space to use.

I just had a tortilla press made and given to me by my neighbor as a gift. brought back some Field corn seeds, that I will plant for masa corn, as in a post I remember reading you are a long time resident of Thailand and if you wish after the corn harvest I could send you some corn seeds. If you have somewhere to plant it.

Have any of you?

No , I am retired and plan to stay that way. I love cooking and sharing information with others that have the same love for Mexican food.

I have made Barbacoa de Pueco in my underground pit, that is similar in many ways to your Puerco Pibil (which I also have never seen in Thailand).

Do you live in the country or the city? Many of the dishes you crave, you can make on your own if you have some yard space to use.

I just had a tortilla press made and given to me by my neighbor as a gift. brought back some Field corn seeds, that I will plant for masa corn, as in a post I remember reading you are a long time resident of Thailand and if you wish after the corn harvest I could send you some corn seeds. If you have somewhere to plant it.

I live way out in the middle of nowhere Thailand...........birds, snakes, cows and rice fields...........lots of space.

But I have given up on farming.

I am sure that with the proper spices I could make puerco pibil (I would smoke it for hours).

Good luck with the corn project.

I looked up on the Internet (Recipe for Puerco Pibil) They have a you tube video on how to cook it, They also have the recipe printed, cooked in the oven for 4 hrs, looks pretty good. The only spice I did not recognize was "Annatto seeds" I would cross reference with the name of Thai spices, they may have it at the local market or find what you can substitute for that spice.

Looks pretty good, look it over. does not look that hard to make, take it out and chop it to little peaces, put it in a corn tortilla or make small flour tortillas, add your topping ,with some salsa. Good eats.

You can put the unused portion in the freezer in I serving amounts and you could eat it any time you want.

If you are into cooking try it.

I looked up Annatto seeds- They are the same as Achiote paste used in Mayan Cooking in Yucatan and Oaxacan cusine.

It also is sold on line in Asia (India & China), They may have it at an India Spice Market.

Hope that helps !

I looked up Annatto seeds- They are the same as Achiote paste used in Mayan Cooking in Yucatan and Oaxacan cusine.

It also is sold on line in Asia (India & China), They may have it at an India Spice Market.

Hope that helps !

Thanks........what you said does help.

A spice market catering to the Indian food industry might be the place to find the annatto seeds or achiote paste.

Here is a picture of it "shredded." I think that shredded meat would really be good in a burrito or taco.

Having said that, I think small chunks would be better.

post-99053-1275438395_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps !

Annatto actually grows here in Thailand, its a red fuzzy looking fruit on a shortish sort of tree. It is called Kum Saet in Thai

nat_dye_annatto.jpg