Making Mexican Food At Home In Thailand

kikoman

Many people have stated having problems ,with getting good tortillas ,here is an alternative in making the tortillas at home with ingredients readily available in Thailand.

The first recipe is making your own homemade tortillas! This recipe is for making 4 medium tortillas, as my wife makes tortillas daily and I limit myself to 2 tortillas per meal. If you want more say a dozen, just increase the ingredients by adding 2 more batches of this recipe!

Ingredients,

2 cups (all purpose Flour)

2 Tablespoons oil (we use soy bean oil)

1/3-1/2 cups of water,( We use Less than 1/2 cup of water)

Salt (To taste)

post-91962-1262493865_thumb.jpg

Mix the ingredients together, if too dry add a little more water, knee for a while till mixture is stretchable see attached pictures, roll into 4 equal balls and let rest for 30 mins.

Roll out on floured board, until it gets to desired size, pre heat comal and a few minutes on each side cook tortilla, if tortillas develop large air bubbles prick with fork. it should be very flexible, if you cook to long tortilla will come out real hard!

post-91962-1262491113_thumb.jpgpost-91962-1262495105_thumb.jpg

Now I will give you a recipe for Chile Rellenos ( we use a cheese filling) you may use any filling of your choice.

We buy the Chiles at the local market and buy only the largest ones,My wife roast the Chiles over an open fire and peels the skin off. We do not remove the seeds as we like the Chiles spicy ( you may take the seeds out) She makes a slit in the sides of the Chiles and inserts the cheese (We us local Cheddar)post-91962-1262491190_thumb.jpg

She mixes the whole egg (2) and heats a pan with oil on the stove, when the heat is hot ,she puts half the eggs mixture to a bowl add one Chile ,then pours the mixture into the hot oil and cook till slightly brown on both sides,Take it out of the oil and put it on a plate cover with paper towels to absorb the the excess oil.post-91962-1262491215_thumb.jpg

If you wish you can put it onto a hot tortilla as I do and make a Chile Relleno Burrito!

post-91962-1262491243_thumb.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask.''

Good Eating :

Cheers:

post-91962-1262491070_thumb.jpg

Edited by kikoman

Not a chili rellenos in my book, more like a roasted chili and cheese omelet (which I used to make back in the states using Ortega diced green chilies).

Try dusting the roasted chili with flour, and then, for the batter, used whipped egg whites, instead of whole eggs. The whipped egg white mixture will adhere to the flour-dusted chilies. Then it needs a sauce. Some people use a simple tomato sauce with onions. I prefer chili sauce. You can take a roasted red pepper or chili, let it soak in water for about 20 minutes, and then blend. Saute a diced onion and tomato, add a little cider vinegar, a little brown sugar and some spices (you can use dry mustard, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, salt, allspice, ground ginger, ground cloves, and/or celery seeds). Then add the chili mixture and simmer for up to 3 hours achieving the thickness you want. Pour it over the rellenos, and top with a little grated Conejo cheese ( I wish I could get it in Thailand). Rellenos can be eaten right away, or placed in a casserole dish, and kept heated.

Gotta agree with zaphod. I batter my rellenos.

Roast and clean chiles , dust chiles in flour

Whip egg whites until stiff, fold in one egg yolk and some salt. Dip chiles in batter.

Deep fry in oil until golden brown.

As for the tortillas, I use alot less oil than that. I use flour, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of oil, very small drizzle. Add water until the dough is firm and not sticky. Then, as you state, heavily flour your board and roll out the tortillas, I cook mine in a very hot cast iron griddle flipping as soon as needed. but a nonstick pan works too for those who don't import their own cookware :)

That is the beauty of Mexican food, there is no one way to make them, that is what ,I learned from my mother back in Sonora, Six decades ago. We never coated it with flour, and dripped it in the egg whites.

I worked in a Restaurant in Tucson Az , and they dripped their Chiles in beaten egg whites and poured a sauce/ sour cream over it and made theirs with Chile Poblano.

My mom made real Sonora tortillas 1 1/2 -2 foot in diameter and homemade Queso Fresco and always used home grown Chile Verde in her Chile Rellenos, the only sauce she made was all types of Salsas. But never poured it over a Chile Relleno. We did make Creama at home but never used it over any type of food, We put it in beans and ate it on the side.

I live in a little village 50 kilometers from Nakhon Sawan, I use what is available to me and my wife was the one that introduced the cooking method, much as she cooks,Khai-chiao. That is the way we do it and I like the results.

I do not like the Chile Rellenos, fried in egg whites, and smothered in sour cream and sauce, that is not a Chile Relleno to me.

As I say the world is big ,there are many ways to make Mexican food, that differ greatly from State to State even in Mexico.

So keep on cooking!

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

Thanks for this post as I love Mexican food, I come from So California.

Here in Thailand I make ----

Beef enchiladas, and my own refried beans, and pork tamales (I did have to bring masa flour back from the states) I would like to add to this post my recipe for red sauce.

1 Gallon Red sauce

1 med. onion diced

4 garlic cloves

1/3cup red powdered chile. We use New Mexico chile, its not too hot just flavorful.

1 qt. tomato sauce

1qt tomato puree

Salt and pepper to taste (about 2 tlbs)Not too much as you keep it a few days it gets stronger.

Mix all ingredients together and bring to boil and simmer about 20 minutes

In another pan fix a rue of about 1cup oil, and 1/2 cup flour.

At a simmer ,not fast boil, mix in flour and oil mixture

simmer until thickened. Then cool a bit and strain , to remove onion & garlic pieces.

Your sauce will be smooth and thin . When cool it will be thick.

Edited by jcgodber

I do not like the Chile Rellenos, fried in egg whites, and smothered in sour cream and sauce, that is not a Chile Relleno to me. As I say the world is big ,there are many ways to make Mexican food, that differ greatly from State to State even in Mexico.

No doubt there are many highways to the same destination. I don't think I would ever put a cream sauce or crema over rellenos! However, there is a world of difference between your omelet relleno and a battered relleno. Texture is critical and the omelet relleno is heavy and dense, while the battered version is light and airy. In all my travels through Mexico, Texas and the Southwest, I've never encountered an omelet relleno and I've never been served one without tomato or chili sauce, but I did once eat a relleno burrito. I think that might work better with your omelet than the lighter egg white battered version. It's more like a breakfast burrito than a relleno. But to each his own.

Chile rellenos in a burrito would not include the typical red sauce. However you would want to spice it up with salsa. The places I have been in Mexico don't even have burritos (a northern Mexican thing, I reckon), but chile relleno burritos (again no red sauce) are common in the US. I agree, batter is better.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for this post as I love Mexican food, I come from So California.

Here in Thailand I make ----

Beef enchiladas, and my own refried beans, and pork tamales (I did have to bring masa flour back from the states) I would like to add to this post my recipe for red sauce.

1 Gallon Red sauce

1 med. onion diced

4 garlic cloves

1/3cup red powdered chile. We use New Mexico chile, its not too hot just flavorful.

1 qt. tomato sauce

1qt tomato puree

Salt and pepper to taste (about 2 tlbs)Not too much as you keep it a few days it gets stronger.

Mix all ingredients together and bring to boil and simmer about 20 minutes

In another pan fix a rue of about 1cup oil, and 1/2 cup flour.

At a simmer ,not fast boil, mix in flour and oil mixture

simmer until thickened. Then cool a bit and strain , to remove onion & garlic pieces.

Your sauce will be smooth and thin . When cool it will be thick.

I lived in New Mexico for a while fell in love with the Barker and Hatch Valley Chiles There. New Mexican cooking is much different than the cooking in the other U.S. border States, They loved their Chile hot and Spicy, if you were Mexican,Spanish,white ,Native American or black ,all liked it HOT.

Thank you for adding your recipe to the tread.

Cheers:

I was hoping that this tread could be used by people to share their recipes, of their Mexican food with ingredients that are available in Thailand. So that persons that don't have a clue how to make Mexican food, Can try them. Not to debate the question, of what is authentic and what is not, That accomplishes nothing , just playing into someone hand.

In the past I made Chile Con Carne de Puerco, Used (Khao-niao) Sticky Rice, seasoned it with some red Chile to kick-up the taste, spread it on a banana leaf, and place my Chile con Carne mixture in the center, wrapped it in the banana leaves and steamed them.

By anyones stretch of the imagination, that is not an Authentic Mexican tamale, but it was close enough using the ingredients available in Thailand, and they did not tastes bad. Also made Some like Sonora/ Arizona "Tamales de Elote" Green Corn Tamales, Just filling the Sticky rice with cheese and hot/spicy Thai Chiles.

Here there is no right or wrong way, just your way!

In Rome use what the Romans Use!

Cheers:

I agree, but I find the big chiles here can be way too hot and would love to have a milder and bigger chile that stuffs better.

One of my favorite dishes is the chimichanga. Easy enough to make once you master your tortilla making technique.

I like to make a marinated beef or pork filling (not a big fan of chicken anymore, guess I ate it too long). I make a marinade with orange juice, chiles, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper. Then, since there is no jack cheese (:) ) I use a bit of mozzarella and cheddar. Roll into a burrito shape and pin with a wooden stick (makes life easier to pin it closed and I am all for making life easy) and then, deep fry in hot oil. The oil can't be too hot or your tortilla will burn, but it does need to come out crispy and golden brown.

last weekend went to the local market and found some bell peppers Green, Yellow and Red, I purchased one of each and will see what I can do with them!

The long light green Chiles here are quite hot/ spicy ,Reminds me of Hatch Valley Chiles in New Mexico.

My brother planted some U.S. Chile Verde up north near Chaiyaphum, see if they grow well, he will send me some, he grew a good crop of squash, summer,zucchini, and yellow butternut , was inexpensive to mail.His Jalapenos and Serrano's grew very well.

I will try your marinade, I boil chicken, then de-bone it spice it up a little, put my store brought corn tortillas, wet them a little heat them in the micro-wave for a while, makes them soft, lay them flat and tight roll up some chicken in each stick a toothpick in it to hold it together, fry them in hot oil, bag and freeze them , when I want a snack I take out a baggie of four and put them in the Micro wave until hot, eat them by dipping them in hot salsa, If my wife makes them she serves them with shredded cabbage and cheese with limon slices.

Next time I make them will try your marinade. Thanks.

Cheers:

last weekend went to the local market and found some bell peppers Green, Yellow and Red, I purchased one of each and will see what I can do with them!

The long light green Chiles here are quite hot/ spicy ,Reminds me of Hatch Valley Chiles in New Mexico.

My brother planted some U.S. Chile Verde up north near Chaiyaphum, see if they grow well, he will send me some, he grew a good crop of squash, summer,zucchini, and yellow butternut , was inexpensive to mail.His Jalapenos and Serrano's grew very well.

I will try your marinade, I boil chicken, then de-bone it spice it up a little, put my store brought corn tortillas, wet them a little heat them in the micro-wave for a while, makes them soft, lay them flat and tight roll up some chicken in each stick a toothpick in it to hold it together, fry them in hot oil, bag and freeze them , when I want a snack I take out a baggie of four and put them in the Micro wave until hot, eat them by dipping them in hot salsa, If my wife makes them she serves them with shredded cabbage and cheese with limon slices.

Next time I make them will try your marinade. Thanks.

Cheers:

Kikoman you know you have ruined my whole evening ..... Now I am going to have to make tortillas... as I have an uncontrollable urge for quesadillas now... luckily I did make some Mexican Chorizo yesterday... so I think that will do nicely......

... Dam now I have to make salsa as well.... Dam you kikoman... please don't post any pic's of fajitas tomorrow.... or huavos ranchero's...

That's it I am going to have to learn to stop reading this forum till after dinner...

S.J.C

Slackjawchef sorry to cause you any grief.

But I do not know how to make fajitas, was invented after my time. I went to a fajita party once in Tucson, but the Tequila Cuervo was flowing to long before the fajitas were served ( I plead with any one that knows how to make fajitas to post it please) the only thing I remember the Bar -B-quering the meat (skirt steak) and having a banquet stlye set up, where you added what ever you wanted to your plate.

For Huevos Rancheros, I can pick up a recipe, I have been to busy eating the homemade bacon from your post. I was waiting for your 'what is needed to smoke ham' answer to my request, I made maybe two weeks ago. Re: pump for brining the inside of a ham that I am planning to make in the smoker that your post ,encourage me to make.

So I will be looking how to answer your request after you answer my long overdue request!

I will try to come up with a recipe for Huevos Rancheros and do a picture take on it , you realize this is going to cost me One baht Thawng.

Cheers: :)

Cooking is fun, keep the ingredients as close as possible to what the recipes calls for until you get it right and then you can change it to what you want to add or subtract ingredients that will improve the flavor to you.

An almost foolproof method of cooking is a Crock pot, put in what the recipe calls for put it on low or automatic.plug it in overnight to eat for breakfast, or in the morning for dinner.

Most slow cooking method make more flavorful food.

Keep on trying;

Cheer:

Cooking is fun, keep the ingredients as close as possible to what the recipes calls for until you get it right and then you can change it to what you want to add or subtract ingredients that will improve the flavor to you.

An almost foolproof method of cooking is a Crock pot, put in what the recipe calls for put it on low or automatic.plug it in overnight to eat for breakfast, or in the morning for dinner.

Most slow cooking method make more flavorful food.

Keep on trying;

Cheer:

Ok Kikoman

Give me a week and I will sort you out with a brine pump..... just putting the finishing touches on my web site ..... and have been getting busy opening a new section in a local wholesale store on the island...

Going to see if I can find any pinto beans on the island today ..... so I can make some re-fried beans for my huavos.....

S.J.C

Black beans are easier to find and more flavorful......

Funny they are called refried beans in english (guess there was a misunderstanding as to the meaning of refritos). I soak my beans overnight, then drain the water. Start a pot of water boiling, then pour in the soaked, rinsed beans into the rapidly boiling water (it breaks down the skin and they cook faster).

Once its boiled down I add onions, cumin, coriander, chiles, and salt. and let that cook down some more. Once the beans are cooked, I get out my cast iron skillet (I brought it from the US, best decision I ever made) and fry up garlic, chiles and onions, then add some beans, mush it around, add some more and mush it around. Depending on how many beans I've cooked up, I may do this in a few batches. Add some cumin and salt to it while you are mushing it around in the pan.

If you like your beans spicy you can add some dry chile powder too.

Funny they are called refried beans in english (guess there was a misunderstanding as to the meaning of refritos). I soak my beans overnight, then drain the water. Start a pot of water boiling, then pour in the soaked, rinsed beans into the rapidly boiling water (it breaks down the skin and they cook faster).

Once its boiled down I add onions, cumin, coriander, chiles, and salt. and let that cook down some more. Once the beans are cooked, I get out my cast iron skillet (I brought it from the US, best decision I ever made) and fry up garlic, chiles and onions, then add some beans, mush it around, add some more and mush it around. Depending on how many beans I've cooked up, I may do this in a few batches. Add some cumin and salt to it while you are mushing it around in the pan.

Canned refried beans are pricey in Thailand, usually about 72 baht per can at Foodland, or 80 at Carrefour.

I prefer home made refried beans, as well. I like to add bacon, and a smoked ham hock, but I haven't seen smoked ham hocks in Thailand.

Canned refried beans are pricey in Thailand, usually about 72 baht per can at Foodland, or 80 at Carrefour.

I prefer home made refried beans, as well. I like to add bacon, and a smoked ham hock, but I haven't seen smoked ham hocks in Thailand.

If your ever down on Koh Chang, I always have a few smoked ham hocks in the freezer....

Sounds great S.B.K... I will give it a go... lots of Black beans around .... My wife might even like this .... I will just have to lie and tell her it's Thai food, or she won't even try it.

S.J.C

Slackjawchef,

Once you get your web site running, PM me the address!

sbk,

I tried the black beans here, they were very little and the taste was one that was not to my liking, as I made a big pot of them, I put a serving in little bags and put them in the freezer and my wife uses them to make me tostadas and they taste great on Tostadas, I have been meaning to try different types of beans to see if I find one to substitute for pinto beans, which are very expensive in Thailand, India has a pinto kidney bean, that I want to see if they are sold in Indian food Markets here in Thailand, I planted pinto beans in my village, they grow great until about 6-8 inches high -then they died.

Black beans in Mexico taste great, the one I brought at Macro, were use in making Thai Sweets.

I do not like the Chile Rellenos, fried in egg whites, and smothered in sour cream and sauce, that is not a Chile Relleno to me. As I say the world is big ,there are many ways to make Mexican food, that differ greatly from State to State even in Mexico.

No doubt there are many highways to the same destination. I don't think I would ever put a cream sauce or crema over rellenos! However, there is a world of difference between your omelet relleno and a battered relleno. Texture is critical and the omelet relleno is heavy and dense, while the battered version is light and airy. In all my travels through Mexico, Texas and the Southwest, I've never encountered an omelet relleno and I've never been served one without tomato or chili sauce, but I did once eat a relleno burrito. I think that might work better with your omelet than the lighter egg white battered version. It's more like a breakfast burrito than a relleno. But to each his own.

I've had them both ways, ie pure egg batter, and egg-and-flour batter, in Mexico. The better cooks use a lot of eggs and just a couple tbsp of flour, IMO, as it's the flour that weighs a batter down most (the addition of baking soda can help, if you prefer a higher flour/egg ration), producing the flabby little things served in most US Mexican restos.

I was fortunate enough to enjoy a Mexican breakfast in Acapulco cooked by renowned Mexican chef Patricia Quintana. That morning she prepared the best chiles rellenos I've ever eaten. This recipe of hers, which I found online, is a Huasteca variation (with jalapenos, yeah!) but you'll note it says 'a bit of flour.'

Ingredients

24 chiles jalapenos, roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined and sweated in plastic bag for 8 minutes

2 quarts water mixed with 1/4 cup vinegar plus 1 teaspoon salt

24 thin slices mild Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Feta, or fresh Mozzarella

Flour

Directions

Prepare the chiles: Slit chiles open on one side and soak for 1 hour in water with vinegar and salt to remove some piquancy.

Remove chiles from water and drain and dry them. Stuff with cheese and roll in flour to coat. Coat chiles with batter and fry over medium heat, turning once. Remove chiles and drain on paper towels. Keep hot in preheated oven.

To serve, divide hot sauce among 8 serving plates. Place chiles in center of plate, on top of sauce. Serve with hot tortillas. Chiles also may be stuffed with shredded flank steak fried with onion and chiles or with mincemeat.

For the sauce:

25 tomatillos, husked

1 white onion, quartered, plus 1 white onion, coarsely chopped

9 cloves garlic

3 chiles chipotles or 2 chiles pasillas, lightly fried

Hot water

2/3 cup vegetable oil

Salt, to taste

Prepare the sauce: Put tomatillos in a saucepan with quartered onion, 6 garlic cloves and chiles. Cover with hot water and bring to a boil. Cook for 25 minutes over low heat. Cool and drain, reserving cooking water. In a blender or food processor, blend these ingredients, adding chopped onion and garlic cloves. Heat oil in a saucepan and fry sauce briefly. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, seasoning to taste. If sauce thickens too much, add small amount of cooking water. Keep warm.

For the batter:

1 quart vegetable oil

10 eggs, seperated

Salt, to taste

Flour

Prepare the batter: Heat oil in a saucepan. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Season with salt. In another bowl, lightly beat egg yolks with a bit of flour. Fold into whites.

Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cooking...cipe/index.html

--

But I say to each his own, companeros!

I smoked some pork to put in my beans while smoking my bacon.

I have seem smoked pork ( can not say what cut of pork) at Food Land on Pattaya central road. So There is smoked pork _ the price for a little package was 350 baht at the ham & bacon counter , that price I was unwilling to pay.

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

Sabaijai,

Thank you for adding your recipes, Mexican food different and is diverse from state to state in Mexico, now adding the U.S. versions, You can add almost any filling that you desire, shrimp , fish, pork, beef, machaca etc.

I always prefer cheese as my mother made them.

But as you say"To each his/her own, companeros" !

Cheers :)

I smoked some pork to put in my beans while smoking my bacon.

I have seem smoked pork ( can not say what cut of pork) at Food Land on Pattaya central road. So There is smoked pork _ the price for a little package was 350 baht at the ham & bacon counter , that price I was unwilling to pay.

Cheers:

Yes, Foodland does carry smoked pork, but it's not a ham hock. Ham hocks play a special role in bean dishes and soups by adding flavor and texture, as well. The ham hock is the shank of the pig, and, when cooked slow for a long time, releases the gelatinous substances from the tendons and muscles of the shank into the soup or beans. Think of osso bucco.

Slackjawchef,

Sorry this is the best I can do for you, I was looking for a Huevos Rancheros recipe, that I could duplicate for you, add pictures.

I have found that the recipes vary so much, that I will give you the Option of picking your own.

Just enter into search: You Tube," Huevos Rancheros, How to make". Take your pick of a recipe that most fits your taste.

I guess you could do the same in how to make Fajitas.

Good cooking .

Slackjawchef,

Sorry this is the best I can do for you, I was looking for a Huevos Rancheros recipe, that I could duplicate for you, add pictures.

I have found that the recipes vary so much, that I will give you the Option of picking your own.

Just enter into search: You Tube," Huevos Rancheros, How to make". Take your pick of a recipe that most fits your taste.

I guess you could do the same in how to make Fajitas.

Good cooking .

Thanks kikoman

Thats ok I have a bit of experience with Mexican food. as I traveled in central america for a year or so from Baja Sur to Panama ... I was just trying to be funny.... I guess I shouldn't give up my day job...

Will let you know as soon as I get the web site up in the next week or so....

S.J.C

Growing up in a little town just North of Baja California we ate a lot of Mexican food! I still love it and my Thai partner enjoys eating and cooking it also (her salsa fresca is better than mine, she is a whiz with cutting things up small). One restaurant in that area made a 'special quesadilla' which was very oily and arroy maak maak. It came all puffed up and when you put your fork into it, cheese and steam gushed out. Unhealthy, but a family favorite. I never saw it anywhere else, even in my travels throughout Mexico. My sister finally found out the secret: it is just a raw flour tortilla (uncooked tortilla dough) which has some meltable cheese folded into the center and then has the edges pinched shut (a little bit of water on your fingers helps when doing this). You then just fry it in plenty of hot oil till it gets brown spots and puffs up. Add the salsa of your choice and then make plans to work off the calories :)

Thanks to everyone for the posts on Mexican food in Thailand. Anyone know where to get corn flour or whole corn kernels suitable for making corn tortillas? How about canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce?

Growing up in a little town just North of Baja California we ate a lot of Mexican food! I still love it and my Thai partner enjoys eating and cooking it also (her salsa fresca is better than mine, she is a whiz with cutting things up small). One restaurant in that area made a 'special quesadilla' which was very oily and arroy maak maak. It came all puffed up and when you put your fork into it, cheese and steam gushed out. Unhealthy, but a family favorite. I never saw it anywhere else, even in my travels throughout Mexico. My sister finally found out the secret: it is just a raw flour tortilla (uncooked tortilla dough) which has some meltable cheese folded into the center and then has the edges pinched shut (a little bit of water on your fingers helps when doing this). You then just fry it in plenty of hot oil till it gets brown spots and puffs up. Add the salsa of your choice and then make plans to work off the calories :)

Thanks to everyone for the posts on Mexican food in Thailand. Anyone know where to get corn flour or whole corn kernels suitable for making corn tortillas? How about canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce?

An interesting recipe, need to try it some time. I have been looking for that corn for a long time, my brother grew some corn up north, dried it and sent me some, it was very hard to take the outside husk off of the corn kernals in the Nixtamalation process. My Thai wife peeled each one off by hand made good menudo and masa enchiladas. But is not the proper corn to do that with. I contacted a long time corn farmer, and he did not know the type of field/dent corn available in Thailand. When I find out I will let you know!

Cheers:

Hello kikoman, in some of the past threads on masa, some verities of corn were talked

about. I get my seed from the States, mostly using Hickory King Dent, can be use for flower,

masa or corn nuts. Picture of HK treated seed and what you get when you harvest.

Picture of Calcium Hydroxide B.P. They will ship to you.

Picture of different corns. The Chia Tai Waxy corn I haven't tried yet, easy to get at most ag

stores(I got mine in Korat close to Lotus). The Oaxacan green dent will work.

The Tarahumara Harinoso de Ocho is suppose to be a good masa maker from Mex, the seed is from AZ.

The Jellicorse Twin(two ears) is a dent, so should work, will know in about 4 months.

SESE also has a 'Texas Gourd Seed' that will work, I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

The HKis also a good 'roasting' corn when young, but not like a sweet corn.

rice555

post-37242-1263139950_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1263140019_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1263140072_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1263140266_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info, I will try the, Chia Tai Waxy corn as in my area the plants ,Pinto Beans,Zucchini squash (even Thai varieties) grow good to about 6-8 inches high and then die.

My wife has been very successful in planting Thai Sweet corn, We will purchase the Thai seed and see if she can get the same results..

Also if you can let me know how the Mexican seeds turn out. My brother lives in the northwest mountains and all grows well there, but here outside of Nakhon Sawan, we have no luck, we even gave the seeds to some local farmers with green thumbs and the same thing happened.

Thanks again for the lead we will try it!