Security Changes

Not sure if anyone else has experienced the changed security arrangements now whilst transiting but the new system is quite ridiculous.

Let me first say that I am all for security checks prior to flying to ensure passenger safety and would actually prefer the new full body xray to increase the safety of passengers.

However the new system is utterly ridiculous. Basically as you reach the arrivals (generally by bus) near the baggage area there is a security checkpoint. Take the laptop out, belt and shoes off etc. etc. You think you are done, but no. After walking a kilometre to the transit area there is another checkpoint at the CIQ transfer point. Again laptop out, belt and shoes off etc. etc. Two in a row, seems over the top but not finished yet.

Now you have to walk along a narrow corridor and down the escalators to the transit section to get boarding cards. Following this have to again go through another checkpoint, laptop out, belt and shoes off etc. before getting back to the departure level.

Surely they can centralize these points so that passengers are only inconvenienced once instead of three times?? Someone obviously hasnt thought very hard about these new measures as with the first point many people just walk straight past it pretending to go to the domestic exit then walk through to the transit area anyway

I experienced this 2 or 3 checks flying from Samui with a connecting international flight a month ago, after the 1st check point I did glance back to see that you can actually avoid it by going to the left as though you were collecting luggage, walk passed the check piont, (so its on your right) then join the others going to international transfer that have been through the 1st check....

It may have changed since I was there a month ago though!!

This is done because it was the requirement of the IATA not to mix arrivals and departures together. Many airports including Suvarnabhumi and Hong Kong were not designed for this.

I too was annoyed because I love spending a bit of time after arrival in TG lounge :)

• 3 weeks later...
This is done because it was the requirement of the IATA not to mix arrivals and departures together. Many airports including Suvarnabhumi and Hong Kong were not designed for this.

I too was annoyed because I love spending a bit of time after arrival in TG lounge :)

This system caught me out today. Walked down to arrivals for a smoke and faced a security check on the way back to departures. I will use the smoking room elsewhere in future. :D

The escalators down to arrivals should be closed here I think.

Edited by smokie36