2010 Truevisions Expansion Plans Thread

Twin

Just called the customer support line and we went through a series of button pressing with no result. The operator suggested that we turn off the TV for 1 hour and then turn it back on again. Cant see that doing much good myself, but doing as suggested. Will report in an hour.

Cheers, Rick

More likely powering off the decoder sorted it out - it had to reload its data from the satellite link. An hour was a bit over the top though - a minute should do to let the decoder lose its memory, unless it's tied in with the satellite software.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else getting reception issues on some channels ??

I am finding the BER (bit error rate) on CNBC and Bloomberg popping up and creating drop outs and glitches.. Most channels are stable but a few are consistently not.

We have been through about 4 new LNB's in the last 2 or 3 years here also.. they just refit junk. Last time they tried to tell me I have to buy my own as it wasnt a UBC one until I showed them my equipment rental on the invoice.. I have dreamboxes and they were refusing to solve their hardware problems blaming my box until I put the old true box back on and showed it didnt work too, then they blamed my install and told me to phone a private repairer even tho it was UBC technician who installed it !!! Any excuse and they just run off and hope you pay someone to do it outside UBC.

I'm very happy with most of what Truevisions provides. The channel reorganisation makes sense and it's easy enough to program your decoder to skip the future channels or any channels you don't want.

As a football fan I'm grateful that True have invested as much as they have in EPL and FA Cup football, and with all the sports covered on ESPN/Star and ASN we're more than adequately served for sport in Thailand. Cricket would be nice, but its hardly going to be a huge money earner and takes up a lot of time.

I miss BBC Entertainment although it was so heavily censored it was hardly worth watching. Fox Crime looks good, as does the Biography Channel so those would be good additions for me. Although I disagree with almost everything it stands for, I'd love to see Fox News as an antidote to the very dull and worthy BBC World and CNN.

So, all in all, I'm happy paying for Truevisions, although I wouldn't mind paying a bit less! Why do some still refer to it as UBC??

The true PVR is sitting in my living room, and works great, never had a single problem. Cheers. lol

I remember the PVR was introduced about 2 years ago at Bt15k plus Bt399/month. I seem to remember that it had a 160GB hard disk.

Cant find anything about PVRs on the Truevisions website.

1) Have they improved the box?

2) Have they changed the pricing?

3) Is it HD compatible? Or would this just be a simple software upgrade in any case?

4) Should one wait a few months for a new/fancier machine?

5) Assuming I want the PVR function (as opposed to a simpler HD recorder) do I need to buy through True or can you buy off the shelf?

As mentioned earlier, Dreambox users are not affected by TrueVisions logic (?) in channel re-arrangements. There's a freeware tool called DreamboxEdit:

Download the scanned channels, put them in folders as you like it and upload the whole thing back to the receiver. One can even rename the channels, eg. TCCN -> Cartoon Network

Voila, channels ordered in folders. No need to remember channel numbers anymore.

Edited by Prasert

That's the main reason why i'm going for the dreambox myself. The True box is just not up to date with sw for arranging the channels etc etc. I also like the fact i can record to network drive without having to pay for True PVR.

Prasert, i'm looking a place that has proper dreamboxes and could advice me on the set-up etc. Any tip's where to look etc ?

The true PVR is sitting in my living room, and works great, never had a single problem. Cheers. lol

I remember the PVR was introduced about 2 years ago at Bt15k plus Bt399/month. I seem to remember that it had a 160GB hard disk.

Cant find anything about PVRs on the Truevisions website.

1) Have they improved the box?

2) Have they changed the pricing?

3) Is it HD compatible? Or would this just be a simple software upgrade in any case?

4) Should one wait a few months for a new/fancier machine?

5) Assuming I want the PVR function (as opposed to a simpler HD recorder) do I need to buy through True or can you buy off the shelf?

1) No. It's still that same HUMAX device with the same firmware version since launch. Only minor updates to it so far but I haven't seen any kind of improvement in any way.

2) The pricing is still the same as well.

3) No. It does have component out at the back of the unit though but I'm quite sure its incapable of sending anything 720p or 1080p.

4) I think you should wait. I highly doubt that they are going to release something new at some point this year.

5) -- wait until someone who truly knows the answer --

The website is this: http://pvr.truevisionstv.com/marketing/index.html

As mentioned earlier, Dreambox users are not affected by TrueVisions logic (?) in channel re-arrangements. There's a freeware tool called DreamboxEdit:

Download the scanned channels, put them in folders as you like it and upload the whole thing back to the receiver. One can even rename the channels, eg. TCCN -> Cartoon Network

Voila, channels ordered in folders. No need to remember channel numbers anymore.

Thankyou for that Prasert.

I just downloaded iDream for Mac. Only trouble no USB connector on the box. Is it tpossible to connect and re-program via an ethernet cable?

The other thing, how can I find the box's IP adddress?

cheers

Edited by sleepyjohn

IP address of the DB is set in the DB menus if static or DHCP if dynamic.. So if you have a router look in the routers config panel for connected clients or do a pingsweep over the IP range to see what you get a response from.

I have created a Bouquet of True in proper 1:1 number format (with all the gaps).. I could upload that if it is of help.

If anyones done any clever grouping they like maybe we could share those also.

In fact, thinking of it.. If theres enough dreambox users, theres a few files, not in any way related to the encryption, that we could share.

So, all in all, I'm happy paying for Truevisions, although I wouldn't mind paying a bit less! Why do some still refer to it as UBC??

I have always been under the impression that UBC stood for U B****y C***s.

I am pleased that you are satisfied with Truevisions. Maybe I am too discerning for my vision of a TV service doesn't match theirs. My disenchantment has led me to discuss what equipments I need to enjoy the same TV service that a couple of the better bar/restaurants that I patronise have with the folks that installed their systems.

I now have commentary in English on all sports channels. A nice (and apologetic!!!) lady at UBC told me that they knew of the problem and they were fixing it. When I returned home - Voila!

IP address of the DB is set in the DB menus if static or DHCP if dynamic.. So if you have a router look in the routers config panel for connected clients or do a pingsweep over the IP range to see what you get a response from.

I have created a Bouquet of True in proper 1:1 number format (with all the gaps).. I could upload that if it is of help.

In fact, thinking of it.. If theres enough dreambox users, theres a few files, not in any way related to the encryption, that we could share.

Thanks LivinLOS I should get the IP that way.

Can I then connect MacBook to the DB with a LAN cable and configure that way as there is no USB plug on the DB?

ps: How would you define your word bouquet, I've heard it but would like to know more?

Edited by sleepyjohn

Thanks LivinLOS I should get the IP that way.

Can I then connect MacBook to the DB with a LAN cable and configure that way as there is no USB plug on the DB?

ps: How would you define your word bouquet, I've heard it but would like to know more?

A Bouquet is the (odd IMO) dreambox terminology for a user defined channel map.

With a dreambox your channels can be in any order, and can be accessed bother numerically (I find easiest) or via menu groups (docu, sports, news, movies) I tend to like the fastest solution and can memorise the channel numbers to directly hit a channel, to go menu, bouquets, docus, discovery just seems slow to me.. Then again maybe I am using them wrong.

I am embarrassed. I recommended to a friend from the Netherlands that he should get Truevisions Platinum package. Now he's asking me why the picture on all channels looks like it is being viewed through a thick fog. Having seen many of the richer Thais buying up huge TV's in the supermarkets, he can't believe they are happily watching the lowest resolution TV he's seen for over 50 years as if it were perfectly normal.

I don't know what to say to him. And I dread to think what True's HD offerings might eventually look like.

^^ It is "True". (LOL) Many Thais have complaint about the quality of the sound and picture though on a very popular forum site called Pantip.com. I think True is going to lose a lot of customers very soon if they don't do anything about it. Most TVs sold are also now HDTV compatible. I think they should hurry up and supply when there is still demand for THEIR product. >:)

Please TrueVissions ADD: Sky News, FOX NEWS, EuroSport, missing tour de france LIVE.

some one know how to get EuroSport in Thailand, i see it in many hotels i have stayed in.

have a big moving satellite dish in house.

EuroSport is available if you have a large dish and SIM card that receives Astro programming in Malaysia.

The purchase of an Astro SIM is ,ahem, cough, cough, illegal in Thailand

Looking at their web site and their prices, it looks like a good option.

http://www.astro.com.my/getastro/packages/..._lineup.asp?x=d

Please TrueVissions ADD: Sky News, FOX NEWS, EuroSport, missing tour de france LIVE.

some one know how to get EuroSport in Thailand, i see it in many hotels i have stayed in.

have a big moving satellite dish in house.

EuroSport is available if you have a large dish and SIM card that receives Astro programming in Malaysia.

The purchase of an Astro SIM is ,ahem, cough, cough, illegal in Thailand

Looking at their web site and their prices, it looks like a good option.

http://www.astro.com.my/getastro/packages/..._lineup.asp?x=d

Yeah maybe but i cant see its possible to recieve it in Thailand looks like the footprint for this MEASAT 3 ( Astro Malaysia ) is not over Thailand and not my area near Buriram. or maybe im on the wrong astro !

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/mea3_malaysia.html

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/astro.html

and cant find EuroSport on lyngsat ( astro measat3 ) also :)

and cant find EuroSport on lyngsat ( astro measat3 ) also :)

Which sport events are you looking for? Have a look on www.supersport.com - these channels are available on Intelsat 7/10 C-band.

I just learned the IS 10 satelellite, from which we receive DS TV and SuperSport programming from Africa, will be replaced by the IS 20 satellite to be launched and activated in early 2011. Although it will be in the same location of IS 10 and DS TV will be using the satellite, there is no guarantee right now they will use the C Band transponders necessary to make the signal available over here.

If I hear any news, I'll report it, but it's not good news for rugby and cricket fans.

Also, the MeaSat 3 satellite, which carries the Astro programming, does reach BKK with a 1.8 meter dish. Penalty Spot on Sukhumvit has it operating now. It does need to be precisely tuned.

My wishes for 2010:

- HD (high definition) TV

- Dolby Digital Sound

- and EPG worth its name

- a printed program with at least some info about the show, not just name, rank and serial number, er ... start time and title. Tag re-runs a such

Right now neither the printed program(s) nor EPG allow an intelligent use of TV time, since the information provided is mostly unavailable, inadequate or wrong.

About the programs, yes, there are new channels I would like to see. How about some movie channels other than Hollywood? The French, German and Italian also make good movies (often copied by Hollywood).

We could have all this and more and at a lower price if there were some competition in the sky. But that's unlikely to happen anytime soon, I am afraid.