Heroin Free 26 Years

Colabamumbai

Reading all the posts from people who stopped drinking motivated me to write this. I was a heroin addict for nearly 10 years. Pure white No. 4 heroin from Thailand. I have been clean for 26, yes twenty six years. Having a child was my excuse for quitting, besides 4 1/2 behind bars in Canada, constant harassment from Interpol thru local police forces in various countries. Having the Indian Police confiscate my passport in Goa, necessitated me learning how to make false passports, those were the days, for 6 years I didn't know my real name. I spent 10 years in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Thailand. 1969-1979.

HUGE congratulations!!!

My friend's dad stopped his drug (alcohol) without a 12 step program. My hat is off to that route. Sounds like you had enough pain for 3 lives. I'm glad you got on the path.

Heroin is a tough drug to kick, I hear.

Well done. I'v known only a few to get rid of the habit.

but I've known the habit to get rid of more than a few.

Congratulation!! :)

I asume it was "not so easy" to stop (so many years ago).

It is good, that today the most countrys see adicts not as criminals anymore and give

them the same help as peoples with other diseases.

About this i like to argue that today a lot more adicts in developd countrys get rid of the habit

and have the chance for a "normal/drogfree" future.

• 1 month later...

10 long years addicted to cocaine???? And now 26yrs free.......wow that is a real acheivement. I too quit smoking 10 months ago when my son was conceived.....i hope i will be able to publish a similar post 25yrs hence. My son is now 2 months old and i am so happy..

Edited by saakura

My congratulations as well. I remember the 5 years I spent just giving up tobacco. I can't imagine what it must be like to give up heroin.

Can you use your skills to help others now?

Actually, smoking is harder to quit than heroin - well done both of you.

• 3 months later...
My congratulations as well. I remember the 5 years I spent just giving up tobacco. I can't imagine what it must be like to give up heroin.

Can you use your skills to help others now?

Actually, smoking is harder to quit than heroin - well done both of you.

I was addicted to heroin in my youth (16-21) and gave up smoking 2 years ago.

I can safely say that giving up smoking is stroll in the park compared to getting off heroin. I don't know who makes up these facts but they obviously have not gone through cold turkey and then the months of feeling weak ,dreaming about and craving the stuff. Then you have to learn to function without that feeling and you lose all confidence because you feel sober and strange.

Well done to the OP and all that give up an addiction because as you all know it is nice to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about feeding that habit.

I have been off it now 14 years and have now got my life back and to all you addicts out there you can do too.