Iranian Man Arrested With 4.2 Kgs Of 'ice' Drug At Bangkok's Suvarnbhumi Airport

webfact

crystal methamphetamine, commonly known as "ice"

Id.iots with lack of knowledge...

ICE is NOT a metha. ICE is a cocaine hydrocloride (C17H21NO4), named by the feeling while powdering your nose by... :)

Metha hydro (C10H15N) is commonly known as pervithine (also a "screw", or a "meth", or a "speed").

Metha is much, MUCH more dangerous than a cocaine - in ruining your body and mind. It is also a thousand times cheaper than a good thread of Colombian cocaine. Meth is VERY popular among low-class youngs with no money even for a beer - with an expected results......

Hope that one pusher get a death sentence. Som nai na!! :D

Or it is too early but I find you post totally wrong.

Ice / meth / crystal is methamphetamine

Crack is derive from cocaine

Cocaine / heroine / morphine and highly addictive and physical withdraw is hard

I will say ice is not so physical addictive at the same level.

Ice can be smoke and the worth is to inject it, this practice is not common in Thailand, mainly in Europe

Low class people will use Yaba, base with methamphetamine as well with no the sex factor add to it.

Ice yaba = Ice are mainly a sex drug

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone smuggle crystal meth into Thailand ?

The golden triangle, former number one heroin producer in the wold is now one of the top crystal meth producer in the world (so I read).

I wonder why anyone would want to bring the stuff into the kingdom ? it wouldn't have surprised me if the guy was leaving thailand with Ice... any ideas ?

seems to be a huge market for that stuff here, cheap to make and very profitable... //delted by Admin//..... better stick to Jonnie Walker and "ice"

It's boring reading how people will use a case like this to argue for the "legalization" of what for all intents and purposes are toxic poisons. The golden chestnut of if it's legalized the taxes will cover it. WRONG. Take a look at the current situation along the Canadian USA border. Native peoples smuggle cigarettes to avoid paying the taxes. It is an enterprise that nets hundreds of millions of $$$. There was a long drawn out court case where several manufacturers were convicted of aiding and abetting. The monies went into criminal enterprises. So please don't tell me that legalizing will bring in tax dollars, because it doesn't work.

The medical costs of dealing with addicts would bankrupt some countries. What do you propose to do with all the crackheads and yaba freaks once their brains are fried? Just leave them to rot on the curb? It may be expensive to keep someone in jail, but the medical care of a vegetable can be 10X more.

All these hypothetical scenarios and yet the deluded folks advocating for it would never accept such people in their neighborhood. Just go shove them to where the poor people are, right?

I live in holland and can tel you first hand that legallizing drugs ( to a certain level, the users level) and giving it no priority in criminal justice will result in much lower criminal rate and more importnantly way less drugs users!!! yes people while most kids in highschools of paris and london smoke weed etc and get in the criminal circuit etc. In holland kids can go to a coffeshop buy weed smoke it there play a game of pool and go home and the drug use is limited,is of recreational nature and mostly does not go on for a long time. While the other countries have way bigger problems with drugs using individuals.

I totally agree with you !

ditto......

What you conveniently left out is that many Dutch communities have changed local zoning rules to forbid the presence of weed shops. Sure it's legalized but if you can't have a coffeeshop somewhere what good does it do? Need an example? In 2007 Rotterdam closed 27 of its coffeeshops for "zoning" reasons. (For these shops alone, the within 250m of a school rule was used.) Thing is, when the shops tried to relocate they couldn't get business permits either because of the location they were in or landlords were not interested. So please don't tell me that everyone is happy with the coffeeshops in Holland. If they were, the residents of communities would not be organizing to close them down. You make it seem like a maority of the population is in favour and that is not the case now. The Nederlands has changed, despite the dreams and fantasies of those that say otherwise and most dutch people are not potheads nor junkies.

Iranian arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport for smuggling 42kg of 'ice'

well done customs, I hope they concentrate more on the drug smugglers than ex-patriates or thai trying to bring their own personal possesions or a small contraband into thaiand.

it has grown from 4.2 to 42kg (but that would be more than can take be taken into the hold luggage)

the news was already a few hours ago on thai tv, but no pictures, just a commentary from the journalist from the airport.

btw recently I had a nice experience with customs at bkk airport - as all luggage was screened I was couth with some stuff for sale in thailand, wanted to give a small gift as a "thank you" for a lenient treatment but it was refused.

Well London Thai "of London massage house and Thonburi holiday home." I can thoroughly appreciate how you would like the heat taken of the "small contraband"

It's all a question of degree right? Or not getting caught? :)

out of interest. if you are caught with 0.3grams you are considered a user and can face 6 months to 2 years. If you have 0.001 gram more than that you are a dealer and automatic 5 years. 20grams (before appeal) by the book is life to death. A colleague's 21 year old secretary is facing 5 years for 0.392 grams in her handbag. be warned. If you get caught buy your way out asap at the police station :) before it gets in the court system. Once in the court system it is too late.

erm..What kind of smart advice is this on Thaivisa? :D

For the record meth-amphetamine's is legal prescribed daily.

It is ONLY by prescription and usually use top keep patient's systems

running a bit faster of something is dragging it down.

But it is used in very specific cases and very rarely ever for outpatients.

It is acknowledged as a very dangerous drug and highly regulated.

But still in legal use daily in hospitals.

Ice is a re-branded, bootleg, smokable version of it, often mixed with other crap.

It is to Amphetamine what Crack is to Cocaine.

Nothing good would be gained by letting it be an over the counter, taxed, recreational drug.

If you have even known/seen anyone on this drug 'recreationally' you would agree 100%

gallery_327_1086_12624.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 6 (TNA) - An Iranian man on Wednesday was arrested at Thailand's main international airport for smuggling 42 kilogrammes of crystal methamphetamine, commonly known as "ice", worth over Bt17 million (about US$500,000), into the kingdom.

Customs Department Director-General Somchai Sajjapong inspected the impounded drugs seized from 33-year-old Ghanavatirajabnejad Keyvan in the international arrival terminal of Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Customs officials said they observed the Iranian man behaving suspiciously after he disembarked.

As the suspect went through luggage scanning process, officials found that the bag was unusually thick, so they examined it and found the crystal meth hidden in a specially-made compartment in the luggage.

According to the preliminary investigation, the Iranian national said he was smuggling the drug into the kingdom for the first time, but Thai authorities did not believe him, as it is reported that the accused has travelled to Thailand 11 times.

Thai authorities are now investigating the case further to find whether there are accomplices in the kingdom.

The Customs Department reported that it has arrested 31 people smuggling illicit drugs into Thailand via the airport throughout 2009. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-01-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

OMG lol now enjoy the 5 stars hotel Bangkok Hilton

Legalise, tax and regulate.

Silly laws can't compete against this black market.

Geez that's the naivest thing I've ever heard. You might get some sympathy about that with weed or kids playing with coke, but very little sustained ice use permanently destroys the brains ability to feel happy... I guess you think that somebody else should pay for the anti-depressants those who are lucky enough to get off it require for the rest of their lives?

Yes, i've personal experience with users and yes i've tried other not-so-legal things, and i can say for sure that ice is the most dangerous substance that can be abused that exists today. It's insidious ability to "disable" happiness forever is remarkable. Read up on it. Ice should never be legalised and never be tollerated. Registering people who buy it's raw materials in Australia has slowed it's use down very successfully, but even the very liberal Australia was on the brink of a crisis with that garbage.

Utterly rediculous comment when it comes to ice. Sorry, but that's a fact, not an opinion.

Nonsense. It doesn't disable happiness forever. All it does is to release the happy juice (dopamine) naturally present in your brain cells and prevent the re-uptake. Once you stop usage your original dopamine supply has indeed dimished below baseline but over time dopamine gets replenished. With long time abuse it might take a while but it's completely untrue that it disables happiness forever.

gunnyd, I get your point, but..

say, all illigal substances are legal beginning of next week, they can be bought at 7-11 were shops have installed new counters, next to cigarettes, covered with aluminum curtains and everything. My Thai neighbour's kids go to night club, 5 guys, all around 15-16. As usual, before going to club they get drunk, only this night they decide to buy some Yaba at 7-11. These boys go out and get waisted on most nights. Now fast forward 6 months. How many of these boys are alive? Maybe all, maybe none. How many are fuc'ed for life? All of them. This kind of damage is impossible with any legal drug, this damage is GUARNTEED with 6 month of regular ice, yaba use.

Making meth and heroin legal has no upside, NONE.

Quote from you: 'Alcohol and alcoholism causes much more misery, health problems and death than illegal drugs ever have or ever will..'

You can't be serious!

What about legal meth such as Desoxyn which is prescribed to children who have so called attention deficit disorder because they look out the window a lot during class?

Stupid question time, is Yah Bah the same as Ice. I know they're both a form of amphetamine, but google searches don't turn up much detail on exactly what Yah Bah is.

They're not exactly the same. Yaba contains methamphetamine while ICE is crystallised methamphetamine which is more pure.

It is obvious that some people have zero clinical biochemistry or pharmacology experience as some of the comments are downright ignorant. The drugs currently found on the market are not of high quality and are filled with contaminants. It speaks to the hypocrisy of some that they would rail about genetically modified foods or complain about pesticides in the food chain, but see nothing wrong with young people gobbling down toxic substances. Get real. You think these manufacturers subscribe to quality control and are open to product recalls? If these recreational drugs were subject to the same quality standards as other prescription drugs they'd be blackboxed at best or withdrawn from the market due to the ADRs associated with them.

Nonsense. It doesn't disable happiness forever. All it does is to release the happy juice (dopamine) naturally present in your brain cells and prevent the re-uptake. Once you stop usage your original dopamine supply has indeed dimished below baseline but over time dopamine gets replenished. With long time abuse it might take a while but it's completely untrue that it disables happiness forever.

I suggest you pick up a basic textbook on biochemistry or pharmacology and read up on what happens to people that have surges in neuro transmitters. Do you have any idea of the risk of CV disase, stroke and what the public calls heart attack with these drugs? There won't be need to worry about happiness because the subject will either be a drooling vegetable or dead. Please take the time and look up the effect of the drug on long term cognitive abilities and then report back on the safety aspect of playing with neurotransmitter levels.

What about legal meth such as Desoxyn which is prescribed to children who have so called attention deficit disorder because they look out the window a lot during class?

Have you read the product monograph. It clearly states that the product puts children because of the risk of growth retardation. scripts are not continuous and require the child's growth to be checked prior to script renewal. The use of the drug is for extreme cases when other drug therapies do not work.

Stupid question time, is Yah Bah the same as Ice. I know they're both a form of amphetamine, but google searches don't turn up much detail on exactly what Yah Bah is.

They're not exactly the same. Yaba contains methamphetamine while ICE is crystallised methamphetamine which is more pure.

More pure? Right and the Yaba manufacturers really put an effort into QC. I'm sure that they have fully equipped labs to test for purity and standardized dosing.

Do not compare the crap sold on the party circuit with legit medications.

ADRs are minimized with monitored prescriptions. Unfortunately, all of the ADRS are magnified several times over when illegal concoctions are used. This is one of the reasons why meth heads are often crazy. They are not taking the small doses in a prescription, but are overdosing repeatedly. Look at it this way, you can usually take a couple aspirin with few problems, but munch down on 10 at a time and you can give yourself some serious problems.

You take my postings out of context. :) I actually agree with what you say but that has not much to do with what I posted.

First comment was regarding dopamine levels and the argument by another poster who claimed that even “ very little sustained use” permanently disables happiness which is simply untrue.

Regarding other risks such as heart attack etc. you’re correct of course but we were not talking about that.

Regarding legal meth the argument was about the comment that “making meth and heroin legal has no upside”.

My comment was that there is already legal meth and other amphetamines which are daily prescribed to a lot of people.

Regarding the difference between Yaba and Ice, Ice is indeed more pure since crystallized methamphetamine by itself is more pure than the methamphetamine found in Yaba. The whole point of crystallizing it is to get a purer substance so what is there to argue?

out of interest. if you are caught with 0.3grams you are considered a user and can face 6 months to 2 years. If you have 0.001 gram more than that you are a dealer and automatic 5 years. 20grams (before appeal) by the book is life to death. A colleague's 21 year old secretary is facing 5 years for 0.392 grams in her handbag. be warned. If you get caught buy your way out asap at the police station :) before it gets in the court system. Once in the court system it is too late.

My apologies. I was not aware that one could not mention money and police in the same sentence on Thai Visa. AS deadly serious as the advice is i will retract that comment and apologise to any reader i may have offended.

My apologies. I was not aware that one could not mention money and police in the same sentence on Thai Visa. AS deadly serious as the advice is i will retract that comment and apologise to any reader i may have offended.

user was probably not really complaining, more likely showing his vigilance (nothing passes by me alltough I am not admin but would make a fine one), self righteousness and extra high standards when talking about hard drugs and Iranian mules on web forums.

I found your post about quantities and Thai criminal code most interesting, dare I say, useful. So no apologies, please!

It’s actually 375 mg of pure substance or more, or 50 doses or more ,or any quantity of 1.75gram or more that will classify you as dealer according to the Thai Narcotics Act section-15.

If you’re caught with quantity less than above you’ll face 4-15 years and/or a fine of 80-300 thousand baht.

If you’re caught with more than above but not over 20 gram you’re facing 4 years – life and a fine of 400thou – 5 million baht.

Link here: http://en.oncb.go.th/document/Narcotics%20...22%20p10-40.pdf

It's actually 375 mg of pure substance or more, or 50 doses or more ,or any quantity of 1.75gram or more that will classify you as dealer according to the Thai Narcotics Act section-15.

If you're caught with quantity less than above you'll face 4-15 years and/or a fine of 80-300 thousand baht.

If you're caught with more than above but not over 20 gram you're facing 4 years – life and a fine of 400thou – 5 million baht.

Link here: http://en.oncb.go.th/document/Narcotics%20...22%20p10-40.pdf

yes there is the thai narcotics act but i am only talking from experience with current cases now in court with thai prosecutors and the magic number is 0.3gm. the actual amount on arrest was 0.9 grams which was later reduced to 0.392 purity which was still over the 0.3 self use threshold. Apparently the 300mg came in recently and has not been gazetted like a lot of laws here (eg. customs). Interestingly i was in the Pattaya courthouse last week and I was astounded at the leniency of the sentences and fines handed down there compared to BKK. "facilitating" your way out at the station is a standard procedure here. What may cost 10k there will turn into 350k bail and 5 years once the documents are lodged in court. There are brokers and agents at the station to this for you for obvious reasons.

Thanks for keeping this string interesting.

Edited by asean

All that rail against legalization of EVERYTHING miss some huge points. Addicts will get their drug fix whether it is legal or not. There are plenty of junkies in Singapore, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc. Places where you hang for using or with China a bullet to the back of the head, during the Cultural Revolution not only were the addicts summarily executed, but their entire families were executed too, to make an example of them.

The actual producers of illegal narcotics are not going through airports/ports/border crossings with drugs. They have plenty of poor people out there they can exploit to do it.

The sad truth of the matter is if 4.2 kilos got seized than most likely 10 times that amount got through to their destination. Drug cartels send many mules through customs and figure 1 or 2 people being caught as the cost of doing business.

Legalization eliminates the criminals from the equation, frees more than 50% of the prison populations worldwide saving the respective countries billions, and it has already been studied and proven that addicts of all kinds from smokers, drinkers, to heroin users in the end cost less to care for than healthy citizens who live into their 90s. Let the addicts kill themselves, it's cheaper. Put the gangs of criminals producing and distributing dope out of business. Or there always is the Chinese/Thaksin solution of executing first and asking questions later.

Edited by gunnyd

"following a tip off" what a classic ! the guy has been sold out while on the same plane 5 other guys went through with 10kg each ......

Yep......just another mule, set up to take the heat off the other 5 guys that slipped through.......

I couldn't agree more :)

legalize Ice ? wow... not such a good idea mate

definitely not a good idea!

Then you create a whole new set of problems, and the black market still flourishes because it doesn't pay tax.

No doubt he'll use the defence that it was put in his baggage by someone else, and no doubt, he'll be BSing like the rest who claim that defence.

I see no point in wasting resources on jerks like this; keeping him in jail for life is expensive. Execution is cheaper and it may even provide a deterrent. How much of a deterrent we'll never know, but if it makes one potential importer think twice about it in the next ten years, then it will have served a useful purpose.

well done customs, I hope they concentrate more on the drug smugglers than ex-patriates or thai trying to bring their own personal possesions or a small contraband into thaiand.

it has grown from 4.2 to 42kg (but that would be more than can take be taken into the hold luggage)

the news was already a few hours ago on thai tv, but no pictures, just a commentary from the journalist from the airport.

btw recently I had a nice experience with customs at bkk airport - as all luggage was screened I was couth with some stuff for sale in thailand, wanted to give a small gift as a "thank you" for a lenient treatment but it was refused.

Not if he was flying fist class :)

At most airports each piece of luggage should not exceed 30 or 32 kg.

The golden triangle, former number one heroin producer in the wold is now one of the top crystal meth producer in the world (so I read).

I wonder why anyone would want to bring the stuff into the kingdom ? it wouldn't have surprised me if the guy was leaving thailand with Ice... any ideas ?

Sounds like carrying water to the sea.

What a muppet!! Smuggling drugs through Dubai & Thailand, 2 countries with probably the strictest drug laws in the world.

Oh well, another candidate for an episode of banged up abroad.

I'm a bit surprised he got it through Dubai what with their super sensitive sceening which has been mentioned on this forum before.

"following a tip off" what a classic ! the guy has been sold out while on the same plane 5 other guys went through with 10kg each ......

My thoughts exactly, guy was prob set up!

Thailand gets their man! Looks good for the newspaper headlines & authorities.

I imagine the dealer who hired this guy to traffic does not have a contact with the North. And since meth is extremely easy to make, (temporary meth lab can be set up anywhere and abandon later on) and sells extremely high price in the market therefore I think people take chances. Of course, this Iranian is just a carrier, the Thai police and customs won't be able to back trace the origin of the drug. And just for a note, for every kilogram that's caught, there are more than 10 times slipped through.

Caught? One conspiracy theory. For every kilogram that's slipped through, some law enforcer(s) get a cut from it. Occasionally, for quota purpose, some traffiker must be exposed and sent to jail. In this case, a law enforcer is waiting for a promotion and milked a contact for his performance.

Sounds cynical, but that's how things operate off the radar.

legalize Ice ? wow... not such a good idea mate

definitely not a good idea!

Then you create a whole new set of problems, and the black market still flourishes because it doesn't pay tax.

No doubt he'll use the defence that it was put in his baggage by someone else, and no doubt, he'll be BSing like the rest who claim that defence.

I see no point in wasting resources on jerks like this; keeping him in jail for life is expensive. Execution is cheaper and it may even provide a deterrent. How much of a deterrent we'll never know, but if it makes one potential importer think twice about it in the next ten years, then it will have served a useful purpose.

Silly,how did you get the wild idea to legalize a high addictive drug that's detrimental to human brain?! This is not soft drug like marijuana or E. Plus, the Kingdom is not equipped to legalize, tax, and regulate such thing. Not even advanced country would try such thing. Too much social and health problem if this is done. It would create a bunch of addicted whose brains are burnt. How about first of all there will be tons of road accidents and violences since people high on meth are also hallucinating at the same time and are afraid of nothing, and will do all kinds of wild things in the moment....

And from what I know about the youngs in Thai night clubs, and lower labor class, a lot of them will abuse the drug to the fullest. Then when run of money, start to cheat, rob, kill, etc.