Hot Weather Whinge

tropo

Well, first week of January almost over and we still haven't experienced any cold weather.

Normally by now we've had one or two cold weather threads. I really look forward to a bit of cooler weather from November to January, but it's not happening this season. I can ride my bike any time of the night and be comfortable wearing only a tank top and shorts. Haven't once had to wear long pants.

It seems to me to be as hot and humid as March - May. Over the last few weeks we've had maximums in the 32°-34°C range with minimums in the low to mid-20's. The humidity has been really high too.

(End of whinge)

I can remember last winter we had a really cool period from the end of Nov that lasted for 6-8 weeks, didn't even switch my air con on for nearly 2 months, this winter has been the warmest i've felt in the last 6 years.

I have a feeling that it's not gonna happen this time round.

Wierd too that many countries in the northern hemisphere are having a very cold winter this year.

I have just moved up to Chiang Mai to live after 20 months in Jomtien ,and its a great relief .Up here cool mornings and evenings although the day time is still hot .

I've never been up there, but I'm guessing the humidity is a lot lower than on the coast. What is the elevation?

I have just moved up to Chiang Mai to live after 20 months in Jomtien ,and its a great relief .Up here cool mornings and evenings although the day time is still hot .

I've never been up there, but I'm guessing the humidity is a lot lower than on the coast. What is the elevation?

I live just outside Chiang Mai city ( 10 km ) and its surrounded by mountains .The coolness is to do with it being 800 km approx north of Bangkok .If you go up the mountains just outside the city it gets progressively cooler at higher elevations .

Might have been an earlier cooling period this season then earlier years. The last two weeks of November and early December I was pretty much freezing my a** off in Jomtien. Had to turn the fans off, putting on long pants and socks when at home in the evenings. I do agree that lately it's been warmer than usual though.

post-70239-1262795574.gif

Might have been an earlier cooling period this season then earlier years. The last two weeks of November and early December I was pretty much freezing my a** off in Jomtien. Had to turn the fans off, putting on long pants and socks when at home in the evenings. I do agree that lately it's been warmer than usual though.

post-70239-1262795574.gif

Isn't that strange. I was here then and I never felt the cold weather...and I live on Buddha Hill which is usually a little cooler than near the beach. It was promising in late November as I did feel a very slight cooling, but it came to nothing.

I agree that all over Thailand it was cooler than the seasonal average when MTH had to wear socks and long pants Nov/Dec time. Maybe his blood is thinner than yours trop!

I had to install higher wattage shower units up in Udon as it was perishing cold in the shower.

I am outside Bangkok just now and it's been getting hotter and hotter over the holidays. I had to drop a client off at Suvarnabhumi yesterday at 4pm and caught a huge gulley-washer thunderstorm on the way back. That's cooled things down.

In other news; my Mother in Law reports my rhubarb plantation in Nong Bua is coming along splendidly.

Edited by NanLaew

Usually the prevailing winds swings from the South West to North East around November until maybe February and brings in colder weather, this year it swung around for a week or two but now it's back coming predominantly from the SW, Today it's SSE at 11km per hour and forecasting more rain, showing a heat index of 38 degrees dew point 25 degrees and 70 percent humidity according to Wunderground weather. Sattahip, TH (Airport)

Also offshore in the Gulf of Thailand, one of my projects that was supposed to be a 24-day job just completed after 7 weeks! The weather in the Gulf is usually <deleted> from Nov thru Feb but these past couple of months it's been even worse than usual.

Did I mention that my Mother in Law reports my rhubarb plantation in Nong Bua is coming along splendidly?

Edited by NanLaew