Watch Repair

bjohn34

I have a 40 year old Omega manual wind watch. A couple weeks ago it stopped running and no amount of tapping it would restart.

After searching on Thaivisa for recommendations on watch repair, I took it to the big watch store on Thapae Rd just west of Bangkok Bank. The technician there opened the watch, examined it and told me that the movement was bad and needed to be replaced. He said he could get one from BKK. Cost - 5000 baht.

I was somewhat surprised, so decided to get a second opinion before commiting that much expense.

I took it to the watch repair guy at Robinson in Airport Plaza(also mentioned on TV). He examined it, said it needed cleaning and lubrication. 700 baht, ready in 30 mins.

Not much decision for me. Had a beer at the cowboy bar, picked up the watch. It has been running fine ever since. May stop tomorrow, but so far so good.

1) complete cleaning and lubrication in good quality is not possible within 30 minutes.

2) movement replacing isnt possible for 5000 baht.there is no original omega movement(mechanic) available at this price.

and for a 40 year old omega -not at all.

maybe he wanted to change the original movement against a "hongkong" omega.

Oh, you big city guys! :)

Had my Seiko kinetic cleaned and tuned (it was starting to lose a few minutes each day) at the little watch repair shop in San Patong (just north of BKK Bank). Took a day, cost me 120 Baht and has worked perfectly for the past year.

If anyone lives down this way, I can't recommend him highly enough!

P.S. My Thai b/f says the same about the Thapae Road shop - he wouldn't let me leave my watch there as he was sure they would swap the innards for some cheap Chinese copy!

Had my Seiko kinetic cleaned and tuned (it was starting to lose a few minutes each day) at the little watch repair shop in San Patong (just north of BKK Bank). Took a day, cost me 120 Baht and has worked perfectly for the past year.

P.S. My Thai b/f says the same about the Thapae Road shop - he wouldn't let me leave my watch there as he was sure they would swap the innards for some cheap Chinese copy!

I've used this guy on the recommendation of two Thai's. Grubby little place and a bit worrying at first leaving your expensive watch there but, brilliant workman and knows his stuff well. My timepiece is still working well after ten months and three months ago I took my Grandfathers old pocket watch there to see what he would say about it, after being told in England it was unrepairable. He had a good look at it and said he could fix it but I would have to leave it overnight. Picked it up next day and gave him 250 Baht and it's worked ever since. I have told several others about this guy and they have all been satisfied with his work.

I've had several Omega and Tissot watches from the 1930's-1960's repaired (some completely overhauled) by the master technician at Charoensilp (sp?) on Thanon Thaphae. Some of them had to be sent to their office in Bangkok because their parts stock is there. I can't say enough good things about them. The average price per watch that they charged me for repair, cleaning, etc. was 3000 Baht each and backed up by a 6 month guarantee, and each of the watches worked perfectly thereafter. They also polished the crystals for 200 Baht each. A couple of the watches needed parts that they had to order from Switzerland and they cost a little more - about 5000 each.

When I was in Europe I had the same watches examined by 2 different master watch repairmen and they wanted 300+ Euros each to repair the watches!

3000-5000 Baht to clean and repair a vintage Swiss watch is a bargain!

I took an inexpensive Swiss watch (Wenger) to the guy in Robinson because I was curious about prices. He was not able to get the light to work. I took it to Charoensilp and the guy called 2 days later to say that he could fix it for me but that I could buy a new Wenger in BKK for less than the cost of the repair.

That's nonsense. They are complete professionals. I gave them well over 12,000 Euros worth of Swiss watches for repair. When I got them back I checked all the serial numbers on the cases and the movements. Everything was O.K.

• 1 month later...

Where exactly around Taphae Gate is this Master Watch maker and what is his name?

I have an IWC that needs cleaning and oiling and have been quoted 14,000.- Baht plus,

and minimum 7 weeks from the IWC agent in Bangkok. For an IWC with a common ETA movement,

I find this extremely expensive.

I'd rather have it serviced in Chiang Mai for half of it.

Thanks for the information

Its called Charoensilp. It's on the left as you are heading towards Pratu Thapae. I think Bangkok Bank is next to it. Parking is in the rear (turn left at the soi on the corner of the shop). The guy who works on vintage watches is not there every day. No one there speaks English so bring a Thai friend if you don't speak Thai.

If you are worried about then taking the guts out of you watch and onselling them OK,

But over many years the place On Thapae has had the most positive reviews.

Up to you, take it of leave it, perhaps sit there while they service your watch.

Most of you guys will be talking about a watch bought in the night bazaar anyway :)