Bangkok Kids Appeal: Save Us From Booze

george

Kids appeal: Save us from booze

BANGKOK: -- Some 400 children from 50 Bangkok communities Thursday asked for the removal of alcohol drinks' billboards as a gift for National Children's Day this Saturday.

The group, camping at the City Hall's Khon Muang Plaza, urged City Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra to strictly reinforce the anti-alcohol measures for a Bangkok safe from drunken persons, free from ads leading kids astray, and with fewer crime-prone locations.

Showing concern over the plentiful booze shops and alcoholic smoothie drinks available all over the city including near schools or temples the young people and accompanying adults held anti-alcohol activities at the plaza.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Shouldn't the title read:Some 400 children were USED to appeal...............

Of course! Kids who don't want to drink alcohol don't change to if they see a billboard.

Thailands politic on Alcohol is one of the most stupid and therefore there are these big problems.

As more things are restricted as bigger the problems get.

They asked for alcoholic drink billboards to be removed, not total prohibition. It is completely inappropriate for alcoholic smoothie drinks to be sold or promoted near schools.

In the last 20 years or so Australia has developed a SERIOUS problem with young people drinking.......much more serious than in their parents' generation. Alcohol-fueled violence has risen considerably. Again and AGAIN the media report people involved in violent acts, and what is most disturbing, innocent people being attacked and sometimes killed by drunken idiots. Alcohol can be an ugly drug.

Certainly these kids were lead by adults with an agenda,

but at the same time many kids see those around them

and the carnage of alcohol abuse in their villages.

I am sure there was not problem finding kids willing to do this.

And agreed the politics of booze is off the wall here.

Good wines taxed 400% but lao kao rot gut available to all comers dirt cheap.

Some culture or peoples are effected more harshly then others with Alcoholisms. The Thais have it hard just like the Native Americans. It’s an up hill battle and the youth are the only ones willing and able to fight this fight. More power to them. Its small steps like this that will fix long lasting problems.

A new way to demonstrate: Get as many kids as you can together, and make it appear that it's their demonstration.

Here are some other things the kiddies may consider demonstrating about:

>>> animal shelters for the tens of millions of abandoned dogs

>>> a campaign for safe driving

>>> campaign for less noise pollution

>>> less government corruption

>>> the creation of some parks in Thailand's cities.

>>> less littering / more trash recepticles and instructions on how to use them

>>> options for ID card for the hundreds of thousands born and living in Thailand who have no nationality

..... the list goes on. Where can I get 400 kids to gather together and campaign for the things that concern me most?

I would try your local schools. I think most of these causes the children would support especially the ones that have suffered from alcoholic parents. I am not against alcohol at all but I have seen my wife’s family suffer as well as many others. Baby steps are needed here to get anything done.

Of course! Kids who don't want to drink alcohol don't change to if they see a billboard.

Thailands politic on Alcohol is one of the most stupid and therefore there are these big problems.

I have never quite understood the reactionary and well-targetted pressure groups in Thai society protesting against booze. Remember the huge demonstrations about the listing of a brewery (Singha or Chang brewer) in Thailand?

Can anyone explain it, and, perhaps cynically, I don't buy "genuine concern from grassoots" although unquestionably Thailand has a serious alcohol problem.

I have never quite understood the reactionary and well-targetted pressure groups in Thai society protesting against booze. Remember the huge demonstrations about the listing of a brewery (Singha or Chang brewer) in Thailand?

Can anyone explain it, and, perhaps cynically, I don't buy "genuine concern from grassoots" although unquestionably Thailand has a serious alcohol problem.

The simple answer is it was supported by the PAD nuts. Do you need more explanation?

The simple answer is it was supported by the PAD nuts. Do you need more explanation?

It was not supported by PAD, it was Chamlong who is the leader of a hardcore buddhist sect which supported the PAD, like many other groups support PAD.

It is not a PAD thing.

Letting kids grow up with knowledge about alcohol is the best. Trying to keep Alcohol a secret from them and hope they'll never learn about the existence of it is plain silly

Letting kids grow up with knowledge about alcohol is the best. Trying to keep Alcohol a secret from them and hope they'll never learn about the existence of it is plain silly

Yes lets bring back tobacco advertising as well... we all know advertising doesn't work.

I want to start by saying that I am not against alcohol.. Now having said that from what I have seen drinking is also a big problem with Expat children. Kids as young as 12 (maybe younger) can go into a 7/11 and buy whatever liquor they want. I know where I live it is a big problem.

Peregrine8

Quoting when replying

Please quote only the part of a post to which you are replying, not complete lengthy posts or even multiple nested posts. From the Forum Netiquette:

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing...

Thank you.

--

Maestro

second that, dont belive the kids here got any own ideas :D

Why not start first to remove all the alcohol commercial spots from Thai Television ?

....sry forgot, to much influence the producers and TV stations owners have :)

I was a teenager in the 60s. At the age of 14, I knew which local pubs I could go to where they would serve me. I'd have a couple of Brown Ales and feel really Grown-Up.

It was no big deal. It was part of growing up.

It didn't leave me with an alcohol problem.

In fact, I omly really started drinking at the age of30.

We are movinng into an Orwellian, puritanical state, where nobody is deemed capable of self determination.

Big Brother knows best.

Well, you can count me out of that movement.

I don't need anyone to tell me how to live my life, how to tell right from wrong, or how to bring my kids up.

Especially not a bunch of dysfunctional politicians.

How about the governor removing the illegal bars on the Sukhumvit sidewalks which the kids have to negotiate to get to school ? Huh huh ?

I want to start by saying that I am not against alcohol.. Now having said that from what I have seen drinking is also a big problem with Expat children. Kids as young as 12 (maybe younger) can go into a 7/11 and buy whatever liquor they want. I know where I live it is a big problem.

Peregrine8

When I was young (now I am 39) it was common in Austria to send a kid to the supermarket to buy some drinks for the father and take a pack of cigarettes on the way back and there were less problems than now.

10-15 years ago I sat with my grandpa and a more than 90 year old guy in pub and they agreed that when they were kids they drank everything they could get and that there were tons of stories like the 12 year old drank 1 liter "schnaps" and did not wake up for 2 days etc etc.....How could we all survive without the government is guiding us????