What Does Everyone Do In Thailand?

systemshock

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that makes me c) and d). Although I doubt I am trying to "start my live over as a Thai" as that is ###### near impossible barring major (and I do mean major) plastic surgery to alter nearly every aspect of my body (I am fairly short so that is about the only thing that would work).

What an asinine post.

Back to the topic at hand, my husband owns a small bungalow resort on the beach, I help with that.

i'm an executive working for a foreign company.  i have not encountered many ppl like me on this forum.

I'm not an executive, but I am on a full expat package with a long term assignment in Thailand for a Multi National Corp in the oil and gas industry.

TH

okay then i guess there are a few of us here on expat terms...but still very few on this forum. my impression is most ppl on this forum are

a) retirees, or

:D those who have made their bundle and do not need to work anymore, living here on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, or

c) those who are living here and working for themselves, either as private investors or in small businesses, or

d) those who are married to a thai and are here trying to start life over as a thai (many of whom live outside of Bangkok), or a combination of the above, or

e) those who are clueless, single and jobless with fantasies of being a DJ

f) executives working for a foreign company that have not encountered many ppl like themselves on this forum and that soon will have to go back to 9-5wastelands and dream of coming back to LOS even as a clueless, single and jobless with fantasies of being a DJ :D

:D

Z stands for ... he'Z banned

Don't come back for another 5 years , prick

Natturlijk weer nen Hollander :o

i'm an executive working for a foreign company.  i have not encountered many ppl like me on this forum.

I'm not an executive, but I am on a full expat package with a long term assignment in Thailand for a Multi National Corp in the oil and gas industry.

TH

okay then i guess there are a few of us here on expat terms...but still very few on this forum. my impression is most ppl on this forum are

a) retirees, or

:D those who have made their bundle and do not need to work anymore, living here on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, or

c) those who are living here and working for themselves, either as private investors or in small businesses, or

d) those who are married to a thai and are here trying to start life over as a thai (many of whom live outside of Bangkok), or a combination of the above, or

f) executives working for a foreign company that have not encountered many ppl like themselves on this forum and that soon will have to go back to 9-5wastelands and dream of coming back to LOS even as a clueless, single and jobless with fantasies of being a DJ :D

Hmm banned after thirty two posts-is that a record, well however he spends his time it won't be posting on thai Visa :D

PS, I must admit I have seen worst posters NOT get banned though, there are a few posters I really loathe, because they are simply Trolls. I have seen two worth banning in the last week, I would name them but protocal prevents me. (Not you Sim)

Hello everyone. I'm just browsing through this forum fantasizing about living in Thailand and reading all the posts made me wonder what everyone does for a living there? any threads I've seen about jobs imply that its very difficult to get anything other than teaching yet I didnt get the impression there were many teachers posting here. Pardon my nosiness but how do you all make ends meet in Thailand? or do you mostly have private incomes from home that strecth a lot further in Thailand?

Thailand = Fantasy you got it right!

TH

a) retirees, or

Hmm banned after thirty two posts-is that a record, well however he spends his time it won't be posting on thai Visa :D

PS, I must admit I have seen worst posters NOT get banned though, there are a few posters I really loathe, because they are simply Trolls. I have seen two worth banning in the last week, I would name them but protocal prevents me. (Not you Sim)

Thanks Darknight - I'll make his stupid posts invisible and those that refer to them. I don't like leaving muck lying around... :D

Meanwhile, this one...

..is a cracker! :D:D:D

Edited by RDN

Hello everyone. I'm just browsing through this forum fantasizing about living in Thailand and reading all the posts made me wonder what everyone does for a living there? any threads I've seen about jobs imply that its very difficult to get anything other than teaching yet I didnt get the impression there were many teachers posting here. Pardon my nosiness but how do you all make ends meet in Thailand? or do you mostly have private incomes from home that strecth a lot further in Thailand?

I work as part time motorcycle taxi driver. I do not like doing this because it interferes with my sleeping. My girlfriend works in a bar, but she is not so good looking and as a result she doesn’t get so many customers. I have to work to supplement the family income. We get by.

BTW do you have a girlfriend I know a very pretty one........

I lend money. I take motorbikes and automiobiles and their ownership documents, with forms signing the vehicles over to me as collateral. I also take land title deeds. I have my name on Chinotes, registered loans at the land offices. I make 3% / month. Interes is no indicated on the lending papers. But the loan amount written on the forms equals the real loan amount plus 3 months interest.

I am cheap. Most lenders get a minimum of 6%. 10 - 20 is common on unsecured loans.

My accountant of 15 years writes all of the paperwork up.

You could also lend to foreigners buying homes and get more than 10% on an adjustable rate. There is no limit to the number of foreigners who come here -- I live in Pattaya, and want to buy a house for 2.5M baht. The trouble is, they can access only 600K to 700K on their ATMs and credit cards. Well, I cover the difference. The loans are for no more than 2 to 3 years. I have and will continue to raise the interest rate on the loans as interest rates rise.

The company owning the house goes into my name, so if the buyer does not pay, I already have the company with the house. How many foreigners do you think buy a house here, go home, and then start to realize that they cannot live her full time? A LOT. They then want to sell the house. I help them resell it, my friend's wife gets a 3% commission equal to 75K baht, and the next person will take over the payments, plus pay my fee for transfering the mortgage.

I lend money.  I take motorbikes and automiobiles and their ownership documents, with forms signing the vehicles over to me as collateral.  I also take land title deeds.  I have my name on Chinotes, registered loans at the land offices.  I make 3% / month.  Interes is no indicated on the lending papers.  But the loan amount written on the forms equals the real loan amount plus 3 months interest.

I am cheap.  Most lenders get a minimum of 6%.  10 - 20 is common on unsecured loans.

You could also lend to foreigners buying homes and get more than 10% on an adjustable rate.  There is no limit to the number of foreigners who come here -- I live in Pattaya, and want to buy a house for 2.5M baht.  The trouble is, they can access only 600K to 700K on their ATMs and credit cards.  Well, I cover the difference.  The loans are for no more than 2 to 3 years.  I have and will continue to raise the interest rate on the loans as interest rates rise.

The company owning the house goes into my name, so if the buyer does not pay, I already have the company with the house.  How many foreigners do you think buy a house here, go home, and then start to realize that they cannot live her full time?  A LOT.  They then want to sell the house.  I help them resell it, my friend's wife gets a 3% commission equal to 75K baht, and the next person will take over the payments, plus pay my fee for transfering the mortgage.

You are joking .....of course :o

Retired after working 28 years in a USA Corporation. Now it's very uncommon for younger workers in the USA working most/all of their careers for a single company, requiring more care in saving and investing money for retirement purposes.

I work on merchant ship for American company and I have four months vacation after four months onboard. I've been doing this for the past six years and managed to have comfortable life in Thailand.

I'm a bit jealous- I had a short (1year) stint working on a weather ship out of Victoria Canada when I was in my late teens and LOVED it. Out for 7 weeks (alot of overtime$) and in for 4 weeks (all paid). used to bugger off to Hawaii or Mexico for a month every time. Dammed satellites anyways...

Now, I play at making a monthly mag ThailandConnect, which i really enjoy - except deadlines :o . Also have a website for a thailand wide 'Exchange & mart' BahtandSold . Seems to be going better and better (thanks guys):D

Bottom line, in TIT, it's best to find something you love doing (business wise) see if there's a niche and employ yourself. Good luck to the OP.

daniel

TH

a) retirees, or

:o those who have made their bundle and do not need to work anymore, living here on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, or

f) fugitives from the law - smart enough to get away with the money! :D

I lend money.  I take motorbikes and automiobiles and their ownership documents, with forms signing the vehicles over to me as collateral.  I also take land title deeds.  I have my name on Chinotes, registered loans at the land offices.  I make 3% / month.  Interes is no indicated on the lending papers.  But the loan amount written on the forms equals the real loan amount plus 3 months interest.

I am cheap.  Most lenders get a minimum of 6%.  10 - 20 is common on unsecured loans.

You could also lend to foreigners buying homes and get more than 10% on an adjustable rate.  There is no limit to the number of foreigners who come here -- I live in Pattaya, and want to buy a house for 2.5M baht.  The trouble is, they can access only 600K to 700K on their ATMs and credit cards.  Well, I cover the difference.  The loans are for no more than 2 to 3 years.  I have and will continue to raise the interest rate on the loans as interest rates rise.

The company owning the house goes into my name, so if the buyer does not pay, I already have the company with the house.  How many foreigners do you think buy a house here, go home, and then start to realize that they cannot live her full time?  A LOT.  They then want to sell the house.  I help them resell it, my friend's wife gets a 3% commission equal to 75K baht, and the next person will take over the payments, plus pay my fee for transfering the mortgage.

I don't think so, till now, the best advice for becoming rich in Thailand... 3%, that's too cheap: Beware of irreverence!

Patex

I don't think so, till now, the best advice for becoming rich in Thailand... 3%, that's too cheap: Beware of irreverence!

Patex

You can get rich selling drugs , but I would not want to take that chance either .

You are joking .....of course :D

Patex

You can get rich selling drugs , but I would not want to take that chance either .

...For Thailand the worst advice :o

You are joking .....of course :D

Patex

...For Thailand the worst advice :o

So is loansharking :D Sorry my last post was so hard for you to understand . I will type slower next time .

Edited by Jeff1

Jeff1,

Come to Thailand and stay here...

Thais I acquainted with become really upset see me sitting on my money, so they helped me dispel my hesitation... and it works well for all participants :o

"Stay in Rome do like the Romans do!"

Regards, Patex

Thanks for the invite . :o

That almost sounds like my wife's family . They also hate to see me sit on money , they say " buy a cow its a good investment " Not sure how many cows I have now . I think they ate a few .

I knew a guy who was a loan shark. He committed suicide with his hands tied behind his back and a plastic bag over his head. There were some questions about all the bruises on him. I guess he was just clumsy.

In case there were any doubt, i'd like to point out for the benefit of members here that there is actually no law in thailand, really. at least not in the way it unsually functions in the west. this is not to say that there is no justice, there is, just that it is usually meted out based on losely formed consensus reached by affected members. moral of the story - don't p*ss anyone off. you may get away once or twice, but it WILL catch up with you in this town.

about a year ago, i was involved in a big investment deal in which several million baht of commission was at stake for each of the agents involved. there was one particular rogue agent who was repeatedly trying to undercut and steal some of the minor clients away, and as this would have impacted on the viability of the deal, it threatened the rest of the deal closing. clearly, his intent was to extort a larger cut from everyone else. i believe he acted so bravely because he thought he had a certain influencial figure behind him.

finally, as i represented the main investor, the other agents invited me out for a meal, during which they desperately made a case for the 'permanent' removal of said rogue agent. they informed that a 'bucket' had already been passed around and that everyone had already contributed towards the removal cost, and asked that i be the final and main sponsor to 'the bucket'. of course, i refused, and further warned that i will withdraw my interest if anyone were harmed in the process of the deal closing. i left the place in a cold sweat. without going into too much detail, this incident really brought home to me the reality of danger in this town. and in case it sounds like i was dealing with a bunch of thugs, one of the main agents requesting for the removal represented an international firm, almost a household name. they may be nice and smiling all the time, but it doesn't mean they are pushovers.