Building Costs

Hello all. As mentioned in a previous post we are thinking of building a house for the mother in law.

She lives in Ranong in the south and really should at her age be living in a proper house. Actually it will be killing two birds with one stone as we, the wife and our two kids will have somewhere to stay when we visit.

The wifes family, well her brothers have some experience in house building as they have replaced their old wooden houses with brick ones and seem to have done a reasonable job.

What I am hoping for from you is some advice on the cost of putting a house up. We have seen an example of one we like the look of. I'll put the link in the post.

We want to build a three bed bungalow probably with the one bathroom, keeping the costs down. The family will do most of the work but will still expect to have their time covered, mainly as when its finished the house will be my wifes but for her mum to live in for the rest of her life.

I am totally new to this house building process and will have to trust them to do a good job, they are her family and it should be ok, I hope.

I'm not too worried about the luxury finishes, doesnt have to be too western, just a western bathroom, and air con isnt essential at the moment.

We wont be living there for long periods ourselves, we plan to probably locate ourselves in Samui in a few years, once the kids have finished their school/uni.

I look forward to any help you can give me, oh yes and that link http://www.plancivil.com/3Bed2WC_Jua.php

many thanks,

Sean.

I would strongly recommend not letting family building the house especailly as by the sounds of it they have very little building experience. When building our house we initially hired the BIL's company (who build alot of houses) but they didn't listen to requests we made and made some major mistakes with the construction that even I spotted, then half way through the build started asking for more money. After huge family arguements the wife sacked the BIL and we found a company who did a great job and rectified the mistakes. If I was to build the house again I would employ an independant company from the outset, as you will know the costs from the start and avoid all the bull that comes with using family members.

I would strongly recommend not letting family building the house especailly as by the sounds of it they have very little building experience. When building our house we initially hired the BIL's company (who build alot of houses) but they didn't listen to requests we made and made some major mistakes with the construction that even I spotted, then half way through the build started asking for more money. After huge family arguements the wife sacked the BIL and we found a company who did a great job and rectified the mistakes. If I was to build the house again I would employ an independant company from the outset, as you will know the costs from the start and avoid all the bull that comes with using family members.

I agree.

also, getting any family member involved should be avoided (there are some chances) a family member will collude and siphon

your budget.

As stated from Ciaphas, employ an independent source (builder or general contractor) to obtain a 'house plan & budget cost'

to avoid any misunderstandings and frustrations. Believe me, there are a lot of BULL & nonsense mentality amongst the workers.

I had my share of all of the above 'bull' building 2 houses and I think no one else should experience a bad taste.

Having built four houses here on Phuket I can only concur with the above posts. First get proper architect drawings, hard for builder to make good cost estimate otherwise. Check the plan for adequate electrical outlets and their placement, water/sewage pipes and connections, and door/window placement. Get them right on paper, changes during construction are expensive.

Inexperienced relatives will be more problem than help. Building labor gets 250-300 baht/day and they have to do proper work. For small house there is little opportunity for cost saving here by using relatives, and much opportunity for malfeasance and general buggerup.

• 7 months later...