Tour Guide Girl: 30,000 Bht Per Mo

a2396

One of my lovelies has told me she has had an offer, via a "sister" of one of her girlfriends, to be accompany tours to Vietnam for 30,000 bht per mo. I asked her what ere the job duties and I did not get a very specific answer. My advice was, not to go "mucking around" in a foreign country, where the "job duties" might include something not exactly legal there. Who knows what this lady (the sister) is actually recruiting for. I though the 30,000 bht salary is way above what any normal tour guide would make. What say you learned members on this?

I have a friend (male) who has worked for an American travel Co. for years as a tour guide, he is compensated very well for his work. His english is very good and his Thai an't bad either. He is a trained professional, takes trips from Thailand to various locations around the world as well as tours in Thailand.

I think your friend should be wary, tour guides typically are trained professionals with very good language skills.

A lady traveling as a tour guide :)

I guess she forgot to say that only one male tourist, she will be guiding. And yes 30,000 is too high for a non educated Thai gal unless you are beautiful and work in a massage place, giving special massages :D

To be a tour guide you have to have an official card that you only get when you pass a four year degree on travel and tourism at university.

it is not something that you can just go and do. There are also three different levels of card depending on the extent of the course, in your own province or covering the whole of Thailand or the top one which allows you to take tours to a neighbouring country.

My wife has almost finished her course now and has only a couple of months to go, thank goodness.

HL :)

My wife is a tour guide with a license, she makes 20k plus but some of her friend make more. It all depends on what company you work for and how much you work. The duties are normal but often they have to pay many things themselves like rooms. (not if they bring in a lot of guests then they get a free room).

Wife was even offered a 50k position but refused because it would take her away too much. So things are possible as a tourguide but not without a license and experience 30 k to start with is a bit hight usually trainees get a lot less according to her.

A lady traveling as a tour guide :D

I guess she forgot to say that only one male tourist, she will be guiding. And yes 30,000 is too high for a non educated Thai gal unless you are beautiful and work in a massage place, giving special massages :D

Have to agree there, just like a couple of girls from the village went to phuket. They actually went for a massage job but I`m wandering who will end up doing the massaging.

& as for this thai girl being a tour guide in another country sounding like it`s her first time, why would they pay her that much when they could get a local that knows the country & pay them a very good wage of 10,000 bht if their lucky :)

Have to agree there, just like a couple of girls from the village went to phuket. They actually went for a massage job but I`m wandering who will end up doing the massaging.

& as for this thai girl being a tour guide in another country sounding like it`s her first time, why would they pay her that much when they could get a local that knows the country & pay them a very good wage of 10,000 bht if their lucky :)

Your remark isnt really bright.. the tourists could be Thais (they travel too not only farang and there is quite a large market) and thais like to be guided by other Thais. Of course there will also be a Vietnamese tour-guide but mainly Thais of course. I do agree with you about the salary being lower if they start.

For some guys it seems to be a matter of pride to say Thais cant make this or that... maybe in some minds Thais need to make almost nothing else your income here does not look so high anymore. There are Thais with good paying jobs have seen quite a few already.

Other thing is a tour guide accompanying a thai group is totally different then one accompanying a foreign group. If its a Thai group then the tourguide usually does a lot more work like fixing up the hotel entry, organising and decorating stuff for the evening parties (every night there is entertainment) Many times the katai tour guides will preform in shows and they get extra money for this 500 bt a show or so (but they have to pay their own costumes) So they might get a lot gross (but have costs too)

Your remark isnt really bright.. the tourists could be Thais (they travel too not only farang and there is quite a large market) and thais like to be guided by other Thais. Of course there will also be a Vietnamese tour-guide but mainly Thais of course. I do agree with you about the salary being lower if they start.

For some guys it seems to be a matter of pride to say Thais cant make this or that... maybe in some minds Thais need to make almost nothing else your income here does not look so high anymore. There are Thais with good paying jobs have seen quite a few already.

Your remark isnt really bright.. the tourists could be Thais (they travel too not only farang and there is quite a large market) and thais like to be guided by other Thais.

Don't you think some other attributes, such as knowledge of the country the tour guide is operating in, would be a benefit to a guided group, who would not just be happy that the person getting them lost, keeping them unfed, failing to find the tourist sites, speaks Thai like they do?

Your remark isnt really bright.. the tourists could be Thais (they travel too not only farang and there is quite a large market) and thais like to be guided by other Thais.

Don't you think some other attributes, such as knowledge of the country the tour guide is operating in, would be a benefit to a guided group, who would not just be happy that the person getting them lost, keeping them unfed, failing to find the tourist sites, speaks Thai like they do?

Keep them coming you make me look bright, i told you already that they will take a Vietnamese tour-guide with them. But there are more Thai tour guides as they manage the tourists. Furthermore dont you think that they plan a trip before they go and study about the sites they are going too ? of do you think they just wonder through the land stumbling over sites ?

The guides prepare for each trip and sure they get of course more experienced after a few trips, but to be honest telling them about the sites is not a big thing for Thai trips. That is usually all about sanook sanook and drinking and eating (depending on the crowd of course).

I will let you know an other lil secret many of those trips are payed for by the goverment as a way to make people happy so they vote for them again. So the crowd that is going on many trips is not a rich crowd but normal ppl. They care more for the eating and drinking and shows then for where they are going (many trips inside thailand too)

An other big part of the trips will be from companies who want their employees to have a good time (must admit mostly into Thailand)

Quite a normal salary for qualified outbound tour guides. :)

The voice of reason.. though it does not sound like the girl is qualified and then it could be a totally other job.

There are tour guides and then there are tour guides. :D

Thai friend of mine does similar sounding job,

Salary approx 20 k, plus commision from hotels, car hire, boat trips resturants etc, plus tips ...regulary clears 30 plus.

Another receptionest I know earns the same just on commision..

Why do so many on here think she must be putting out to earn money , pretty much reflects on the mindset of some posters.

Thai friend of mine does similar sounding job,

Salary approx 20 k, plus commision from hotels, car hire, boat trips resturants etc, plus tips ...regulary clears 30 plus.

Another receptionest I know earns the same just on commision..

Why do so many on here think she must be putting out to earn money , pretty much reflects on the mindset of some posters.

Maybe because the girl was not qualified and was new at this job. If doing it for a while and qualified its a different story. But sure there are enough guys who dont like it that thai's can make money too and that not all girls are to be bought.

@#1:

Using the term "sister".... says it all, cause in certain circles, they are all "sisters",

some sort of solidarity declaration, cause they all try to row the same sinking ship!

certainly it won't be a genuine tour guide job!

Edited by Samuian

My wife is a tour guide with a license, she makes 20k plus but some of her friend make more. It all depends on what company you work for and how much you work. The duties are normal but often they have to pay many things themselves like rooms. (not if they bring in a lot of guests then they get a free room).

Wife was even offered a 50k position but refused because it would take her away too much. So things are possible as a tourguide but not without a license and experience 30 k to start with is a bit hight usually trainees get a lot less according to her.

Concur with the above, the lady living across from me is a licensed tour guide, speaks fluent French and English, she says she won't get out of bed for less than 30k a month, though in the low season she normally has a couple of poor months.

Just to add some clarification to this, she is not a liscensed or trained tour guide, by any means and knows nothing of Vietnam. To my knowledge, she has never been out of the country and has no passport, as of yet. However, she is very attractive, charming and is an excellent singer and has sometimes done singing for money. So possibly some of the job would involve this type of entertainment. I think she is not beyond considering "other services", in the conditions are right. As with most women here, the truthfulness of their stories are not exactly 100%. I have know her for 2 years and she is an OK woman, more or less. I am concerned that she is not being hoodwinked and tricked out of the country for some other illegal purpose. A few years ago I had a female friend who was "recruited" by some lady, to whom her Mother paid 15,000 bht, to get her daughter a job doing massage in Malaysia. Needless to say, you know what this was about. Fortunately, she was able to get herself back to Thailand after a few days. I believe the story, because she had quite an accurate description of the events and the country.

Quite a normal salary for qualified outbound tour guides. :D

I don't know the slaraies for Tour Guides, but I don't believe that 30.000 THB per month is normal. In Phuket, they get half of that.

I will also asume that this girl is not qualified. I think there is something else involved in this job which she is not telling.

If it's too good to be true, it normaly isn't.  :)

Edited by bellste

Quite a normal salary for qualified outbound tour guides. :D

I don't know the slaraies for Tour Guides, but I don't believe that 30.000 THB per month is normal. In Phuket, they get half of that.

I will also asume that this girl is not qualified. I think there is something else involved in this job whitch she is not telling.

If it's too good to be true, it normaly isn't. :)

the girls is not telling coz she dont know. to her it prolly seems highly legit. poor are ezsily fooled by prospects of good paying jobs in foreign countries.

As others have pointed out, being a licensed tour guide requires a degree in that field or possibly a degree in a language plus a year or two of post-graduate work. With some experience and good qualifications 30k is quite a reasonable salary.

A Thai friend of mine was teaching tour guides at some university. Her qualifications included a Master's Degree from a university in the UK. Another fellow I met had majored in English at Ramkamheng U. and then done some postgrad work. If your 'lovely' has similar quals or maybe good family connections, then a salary of 30 is quite a reasonable expectation. :)

come on man sounds like she being recruited as a sex worker.

no experience, knows nothing about vietnam. wake up! you doing your lovilies a disservice by being just as clueless as them!

and who refer to female aquantancies as their lovilies, you a pimp? :):D:D

I am not the one who is clueless. I am well aware of what the "probabilities" are with this "offer". Even though she will be graduating with a B.S. degree in business & computers in March, she can be quite stupid & naive, and go off "half-cocked" with things I would have thought she would have known better about.

No, I am not a pimp. I use the term lovely somewhat sarcastically, since most relationships I have had with women here are definately not on the "up & up". Having said that, she is really a nice woman by comparisons here and I would hate to see her walking into something which could be "over her head".

As others have pointed out, being a licensed tour guide requires a degree in that field or possibly a degree in a language plus a year or two of post-graduate work. With some experience and good qualifications 30k is quite a reasonable salary.

A Thai friend of mine was teaching tour guides at some university. Her qualifications included a Master's Degree from a university in the UK. Another fellow I met had majored in English at Ramkamheng U. and then done some postgrad work. If your 'lovely' has similar quals or maybe good family connections, then a salary of 30 is quite a reasonable expectation. :)

Well that's possible, with that sort of education/skills and connections.But does this woman we talk about have that sort ofskills/connections? She is probably being fooled.