Explosive Device Discovered In Remote Area Off Soi Kow Noi

Rimmer

On Saturday Morning at Soi Kow Noi 14, a local resident reported the discovery of, what appeared to be, a hand grenade. The device was initially thought to be an M76 Hand Grenade but was later found to be a home-made device made to appear as a hand grenade. Khun Sompong aged 45 reported the discovery to Police and the Chief of Banglamung Police himself, Police Colonel Somnook, was first on-scene and was told by Khun Sompong that he had gone to catch some fish in a local lake when he spotted the device. He did pick-up the device but soon put it down when he realized it could be an explosive. A Royal Thai Navy Bomb Disposal Unit soon arrived and safely removed the device from the scene and did confirm it was a live explosive. The Colonel believes that youths disposed of the explosive in the area as they were afraid of getting caught with it at a nearby Police Checkpoint. He can see no other reason why the device was left in such a remote area. Police are investigating.

pattayaone.net

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

2010 01 09

post-22250-1263039101_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1263039111_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1263039122_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1263039133_thumb.jpg

Is it one of those explosive devices used for illegal fishing?

Reports say this device was made to look like a hand grenade, I do not think anyone would go to that trouble for the purposes of dynamiting fish.

I wish the Thai authorities would do more to stop the illegal dynamiting of fish at it is badly damaging the coral, I was diving not so long ago on the "Harddeep" ship wreck down at Samei San, when we herd a very large explosion, on surfacing we believed it was a fishing boat nearly half a mile away dynamiting.