Kreng Jai

t.s

Certainly it's not impacted the way my thai acquaintances interact with me in the nearly 5 years I've been here.

Thanks Todd the more you post about Thailand the more I am inlcined to agree. I find a lot of the so called culture "convenient" to say the least its more like a "get out of jail free card" along with "mai pen rai" I didnt come for the people or culture and Im not wasting my time even attempting to fathom it out.

i would like to point out that i did not ask whether you found kreng jai applied to your own lives, nor whether you have practiced during your tenure here. i simply asked if you cared to explain it, or if you could.

the answer appears to be no.

i see kreng jai as the source of most the litany of frustration i see voiced here on a daily basis.

certainly it has not impacted you at all, call me mad.

Nope your'e not mad everyone thinks they're normal. Sorry I have no answer for you as you correctly stated.

great answer.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there is English for the definition of "Kreng Jai". Anyway, I have no idea for its true meaning. Posts here are only based on assumption.

<H3 align=left>greng jai</H3>

This is a very Thai concept that will not translate to any single English word. It can be used to convey a sense of indebtedness and not wanting to impose any more. Thais will also use it in the sense of feeling the need to repay a favour. It can also be used in a sense of being fearful of causing offence or annoyance.

i reckon this the one, based purely on assumption of course.

One word definitions aren't really adequate but here's my take.

Kreng Jai: Consideration

Naam Jai: Generosity

Kreng Jai translate English mean Consideration but we can used many event.

Kreng Jai we have 2 word

Kreng: Please don t do , Jai : heart : feeling from you heart,appreciate ,honest, respect

Kreng Jai: I think the feeling from heart don t want to do something disturb the person who's to helping you or good for you . When You have problem. You havesomeone help you , money or something to you.You have to appreciate or respect .

The help just one time or two time you have to Kren Jai already .You have help you self .Not this person help you all the time. and also you have to help return back too.

I have best friend. He helping me a lot give everything to me,Sometime he ask me you have the money.I said don t worry I have it. even though i did n t have but my feel Kreng Jai to him because he helping me all the time.

Some feeling kreng Jai it feel like not just take something from another person with out give.

Frang you can check you Thai girlfriend good or not good maybe you can check from Kreng Jai,if she not Kreng Jai you it mean she very greedy.she just want to take everything from you not good Lady.

In Thailand we have the old saying Krom Kreng Jai pen sombat kron kon dee.

Naam Jai:Generosity ,very kindness,want to help the people with out the money.

The people have Naam Jai it mean very kindness person,want to help the people, not just money . when you take a bus and have the student or old people or the Lady pregnant you have to give the seat for them it mean you have Naam Jai.

Kreng Jai and Naam Jai it very difficult to find in the people now . The world change The people just think about the material life, not from the heart, just money money. If the world have the people have Naam Jai and Kreng Jai I think everywhere in the world will happy.

Edited by Namsai