Duck Eggs!

NADTATIDA1

As whole boiled eggs with boiled pork leg.

I use duck eggs (separated) when coating and frying chicken etc.

Whisked and then poured into a soup - Egg Flowers aka Egg Drop Chinese Style.

Within savory pancakes, add just a little melted to cheese so the flavor of the duck egg is not over powered.

As a very thin fried coating for plain thin rice noodles in the style of a typical Pad Thai but without the over powering flavors, sugar etc.

HTH.

Uses them as you would use chicken eggs. I fine that the duck eggs are richer in taste.

The duck eggs are richer in taste and due to the amount i have had recently i have been using them as i would do a chicken egg

just asking of any recipes that i could encorporate them with because they do have a stronger flavour and can take other ingredients better than a chickens egg!

cheers.

As whole boiled eggs with boiled pork leg.

I use duck eggs (separated) when coating and frying chicken etc.

Whisked and then poured into a soup - Egg Flowers aka Egg Drop Chinese Style.

Within savory pancakes, add just a little melted to cheese so the flavor of the duck egg is not over powered.

As a very thin fried coating for plain thin rice noodles in the style of a typical Pad Thai but without the over powering flavors, sugar etc.

HTH.

The soup is the same sort of dish my girlfriend made using them! and used as a coating for anything fried is good,thinking more on the lines of western recipes.

I like the pancake idea,have used them to do omlettes and are much better,tastier!

With a boiled joint is a good idea also many thanks Cuban! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Just be aware that you cook your duck eggs always thoroughly as they coud carrying salmonella.

Just a reminder.

Funny.... you serve Duck medium rare, yet you can't eat a nice soft poached duck egg??? Try soft poaching in red wine. then serving it on top of a nice steak...maybe a few asparagus spears, and some potatoes roasted in duck fat... the bold flavors go well together.....

S.J.C

I use them to make a side dish.......I know you said not the usual frying!!

loads of chopped garlic, shallotts,onion,tomato,mushrooms,chilli, stir fry and add the eggs with a dash of soy sauce......

Makes like a vegetarian scrambled omlette......ok hot or cold.......

I first ate it as a breakfast dish in Sri Lanka......so I kind of adopted it.....and I love plenty of Garlic.... :)

Edited by 473geo

I use them to make a side dish.......I know you said not the usual frying!!

loads of chopped garlic, shallotts,onion,tomato,mushrooms,chilli, stir fry and add the eggs with a dash of soy sauce......

Makes like a vegetarian scrambled omlette......ok hot or cold.......

I first ate it as a breakfast dish in Sri Lanka......so I kind of adopted it.....and I love plenty of Garlic.... :)

That sounds nice..... I would love one of those for breakfast... Maybe a crumble of feta too.

S.J.C

They were a little to strong tasting for me, and with a lot of chicken eggs available. I used them in cake making and all recipes , that had eggs as one of the ingredients. They worked out great!

Hope that was helpful for you.

Cheers :)

Just be aware that you cook your duck eggs always thoroughly as they coud carrying salmonella.

Just a reminder.

Funny.... you serve Duck medium rare, yet you can't eat a nice soft poached duck egg??? Try soft poaching in red wine. then serving it on top of a nice steak...maybe a few asparagus spears, and some potatoes roasted in duck fat... the bold flavors go well together.....

S.J.C

Missed the funny part, salmonella isn't on duck meat that is the reason you can safely eat a medium rare duck breast.

But you take a risk while eating (raw, not well cookt) duck eggs.

Enjoy your Duck breast, try honey and fresh thyme and baked on the skin, mmmmmmm

Just a reminder.

S.J.C

Missed the funny part, salmonella isn't on duck meat that is the reason you can safely eat a medium rare duck breast.

But you take a risk while eating (raw, not well cookt) duck eggs.

Enjoy your Duck breast, try honey and fresh thyme and baked on the skin, mmmmmmm

Funny that After looking into it ... I can't find a reliable sorce that gives any weight to Duck egg's beeing Any more of a risk than Chicken egg's (I remember when everyone was afraid to eat Chicken egg's not too long ago... that old wifes tail soon fizzled out ) .... It appears to be one of those story's that everyone "Knows is a Fact" yet none can trace .... was it in the 1970's as some quote ... or the 50's as others lament... Just after the war or back in the 20's... or 1800'S...

As with any raw food there is always a risk.... you just have to decide if you want to wrap your self in bubble wrap and stay indoors, eating sterile food loaded with preservatives, or over cooked to an unpalatable state .....

We have made it quite a way in history.... eating these dangerous foods all along the way .. like soft poached Duck egg's .... and un-pasteurized cheese.. I have reason to believe that some people actually believe cutting food on wooden cutting board's is to be an intent death sentence from bacteria.. yet I don't know how we ever made it before plastic was invented... I guess people where dying left an right from wood poisoning and it was just covered up.

I believe you have more chance of winning the Thai Lottery, than getting sick off an soft poached Duck Egg...

But this is just my opinion on the matter...

S.J.C

Funny that After looking into it ... I can't find a reliable sorce that gives any weight to Duck egg's beeing Any more of a risk than Chicken egg's (I remember when everyone was afraid to eat Chicken egg's not too long ago... that old wifes tail soon fizzled out ) .... It appears to be one of those story's that everyone "Knows is a Fact" yet none can trace .... was it in the 1970's as some quote ... or the 50's as others lament... Just after the war or back in the 20's... or 1800'S...

Duck have frequently contact with water (non moving water) this makes the risk higher than chickens.

Your right 50 years ago Salmonella was wide spread, this time only occasionally.

As with any raw food there is always a risk.... you just have to decide if you want to wrap your self in bubble wrap and stay indoors, eating sterile food loaded with preservatives, or over cooked to an unpalatable state .....

We have made it quite a way in history.... eating these dangerous foods all along the way .. like soft poached Duck egg's .... and un-pasteurized cheese.. I have reason to believe that some people actually believe cutting food on wooden cutting board's is to be an intent death sentence from bacteria.. yet I don't know how we ever made it before plastic was invented... I guess people where dying left an right from wood poisoning and it was just covered up.

Wood absorbs water (bacteria) difficult to clean and also cleaning product been absorbt by the wood, thats the reason using plastic cutting board.

In many places they have color code as well, this mainly for Salmonella and cross infection (Yellow = Chicken/Red=meat/blue=fish and green= fruits and vegetable

I believe you have more chance of winning the Thai Lottery, than getting sick off an soft poached Duck Egg...

But this is just my opinion on the matter...

We get less and less protection from our own systems agains bacteria comparing with 50 years ago, that is one off the reasons we cant have that lifestyle anymore and need te be carefull.

S.J.C

When my wife was raising ducks, we didn't eat anything except duck eggs for a couple of years. We treated then exactly like chicken eggs and never had any problems. The duck eggs and local chicken eggs are much better than supermarket eggs.