Lpg Cars

keithkarmann

Please only replies from people running cars with LPG or experience in the past with running cars with LPG.

Are there any major problems with running a car with LPG and do the advantages outweigh the dis-advantages (if any).

I am considering buying a car with LPG and want to know wether or not to justify paying the extra for a car that has been already converted.Thanks in advance.

Keithkarmann

No major problems

I paid 16,000 baht for the modification to my toyota

It is quite a simple modification actually

No difference in car performance

Big difference at the pump

My truck using diesel and it costs me at least 3,000 thb a month for diesel

The car is 1/10 of that

As long as the LPG system is installed correctly and has no leaks, no problem

There is a handheld sniffer that can detect if the system is leaking or not

If it is older car have someone with a sniffer check it for you

Years ago and it has put me off...

Back in the 70's had LPG fitted to my Ford Zephyr 6, nothing but problems mostly with starting, in those days you switched to petrol before switching off and so started on petrol after gas was fitted always a problem to start + on a long run the unit would freeze, for some time used to carry a small blow torch so every 30 miles when the engine cut out and the unit was covered in ice would melt the ice and then do another 30 miles.. had it taken off after a year and the car ran sweet again.

Here the next house to mine had LPG in his old 90's Lancer, every morning was the same problem with starting, he bought a 2000 model Toyota COROLLA fitted gas and that is fine on starting, the other side of the road 2 different houses have Toyota COROLLA's a 93 and a 95 model, they have great problems starting every day.. Think I am the only person in the Village with jump leads if they wear there batteries right down they come and ask for a jump start.

Out and about it would appear that the new cars start 1st time, older cars have a problem, a car running + starting on gas makes a different noise than one running/starting on petrol. Of course it maybe the bad starters have a bad unit or fitted badly?

Edited by ignis

LPG only systems have a regulator between the fuel reservoir and the ignition points. The regulator ideally is located near the engine (ignition point). If the vehicle has set for some time, overnight or longer, starting is enhanced by hitting the system purge control, thus putting fuel to the ignition points. The gradual pressure drop of the lpg system thru small seepage after engine shut down was the explanation I have been given for hard starting.