Jewish Bakery Or Deli In Pattaya?

Hobgoblin

In 2006 Pattaya will be getting a real deli like a lower East Side's Katz's deli or a Midtowns' Carnegie or Stage delis.The menu will include bagels made from dough imported from Manhattan along with bialys,hot pastrami and corned beef in overstuffed rye bread sandwiches with sliced sweet onions and Dijon mustard,potato knishes and pancakes,cream cheese,Nova lox,whitefish salad,creamed herring,and 2 pound salamis hanging over the counter.

In the latter half of 2005 the first deli in Bangkok shall open.All are invited to the grand opening with free fried potato skins and root beer floats for all!

OK, it's 2006 now.

Where's my steamed smoked meat sandwich on rye with mustard and pickle on the side?

Still haven't found rye bread or bagels.

Yamakazi ( close enough ) make a half reasonable rye loaf. Foodland have the thinly sliced type rye bread in small packets in the bakery section.

In 2006 Pattaya will be getting a real deli like a lower East Side's Katz's deli or a Midtowns' Carnegie or Stage delis.The menu will include bagels made from dough imported from Manhattan along with bialys,hot pastrami and corned beef in overstuffed rye bread sandwiches with sliced sweet onions and Dijon mustard,potato knishes and pancakes,cream cheese,Nova lox,whitefish salad,creamed herring,and 2 pound salamis hanging over the counter.

In the latter half of 2005 the first deli in Bangkok shall open.All are invited to the grand opening with free fried potato skins and root beer floats for all!

OK, it's 2006 now.

Where's my steamed smoked meat sandwich on rye with mustard and pickle on the side?

Still haven't found rye bread or bagels.

Yamakazi ( close enough ) make a half reasonable rye loaf. Foodland have the thinly sliced type rye bread in small packets in the bakery section.

That's not rye bread. That's a type of pumpernickel loaf, they sell it all over. Rye and wheat are not grown in Thailand, therefore they are imported. Take a look at the prices of wheat loafs compared to regular bread. Four times more because of the imported wheat.

Barry

Barry

I have still only found two places that make decent sandwiches. Intown at the Woodlands resort, the little bakery/cafe on the Naklua road and Delibean out by Maprachan resevoir on the road to Horseshoe Point. Having said that the one at Woodlands is getting very expensive now for what it is with coffee at 70 baht for a small cup but the french baguettes are the best I have found in Pattaya. Delibeans still OK, but not sure how long they will survive - cant see how its making any money, but the food is always fresh and good lattes at 60baht I think for a large mug. The wholemeal bread for sandwiches is nice, but dont think they do any rye bread.

Madscere - take the road from Soi Siam Country Club that leads up to Horseshoe Point and Delibean is about 700m up on the right hand side at the entrance to a housing estate called Laurel Park - you cant miss it, it has a big frontage and its own parking - its owned by the same people as Laurel Park.

I often pop in at weekends for English style bread and while there normally have a sandwich and coffee - I guess they have about 20 different sandwiches - my current fav is Bacon Lettuce & tomato on wholemeal bread, although close second is brie and palma ham. Sandwiches are served with coleslaw, bit of salad and potato crisps. The quiche lorraine is also very good and only about 60 baht. Everything is made to order and they ask you exactly what you want in the sandwich and for the health concious offer butter or no cholesteral Australian margarine. I find the staff good but their English is hit & miss - often they ask you if you want vegtables in the sandwich - they actually mean salad and then go on to list all the vegtables, lettuce, tomato, onion etc. They also have the English daily papers and pattaya mail etc as well as Thai newspapers.

I like Greek deli's much better...better salads, great asortment of cheese, olives, stuffed grape leaves......and no Suicide Bombers standing in line to blow up the "Jewish Deli"

Hey, apples and oranges, but I could go for some hot Greek too (no snide comments, Boon Mee).

As far as suicide bombers, well, think what that would do for the TAKEOUT side of the business!

As a famous as campaign once said:

you don't have to Jewish to like ... (whatever the food was, don't remember)

Pork? :o

Madscere - take the road from Soi Siam Country Club that leads up to Horseshoe Point and Delibean is about 700m up on the right hand side at the entrance to a housing estate called Laurel Park - you cant miss it, it has a big frontage and its own parking - its owned by the same people as Laurel Park.

I often pop in at weekends for English style bread and while there normally have a sandwich and coffee - I guess they have about 20 different sandwiches - my current fav is Bacon Lettuce & tomato on wholemeal bread, although close second is brie and palma ham. Sandwiches are served with coleslaw, bit of salad and potato crisps. The quiche lorraine is also very good and only about 60 baht. Everything is made to order and they ask you exactly what you want in the sandwich and for the health concious offer butter or no cholesteral Australian margarine. I find the staff good but their English is hit & miss - often they ask you if you want vegtables in the sandwich - they actually mean salad and then go on to list all the vegtables, lettuce, tomato, onion etc. They also have the English daily papers and pattaya mail etc as well as Thai newspapers.

Thanks Digger! I'll try to find it tomorrow!

Well .... i don't know where the place that was supposed to open in BKK in 2005 opened ... so I guess we are all dreaming .....

and yes I was dreaming of chopped liver on rye with onions!

• 2 weeks later...

there is a 'falafal' shop on soi bukhao that appears to be jewish owned. the 'kebab' is a fair value (actually its a stuffed pita) @ b50. falafal also avaliable. some 'middle eastern cum isreali' dishes - but the balance of the menu appers overpriced and overpresented.

anyone looking for a corned beef on rye - aint gonna be an isreali to dish that up though. thats gonna take someboddy off the east coast of states.

errrr digger - parma HAM is delcious but generally not on menu in kosher restuarants eh?

• 15 years later...