Faggot In Chiang Mai

Blinky Bill

I'm out of town at this time but was recently talking with a friend about old aircraft. He informed me that the Aviation Museum at Chiang Mai Airport had recently acquired a Mig 15 "Faggot" fighter aircraft.

012609-mig-15.jpg

I find this a little hard to believe and was wondering if any TV members had heard of this story or perhaps seen the aircraft at the airport. I have seen a number of Mig 21 "Fishbed" fighters and the Chinese equivalent, J-7 whilst working in some 3rd world countries but never a Mig 15, they were quite an aircraft in their day.

No idea Blinky but if If you come into a bit of money this might be fun.......

First came MiGs Over Moscow. . .

Now we're flying over another amazing Russian city

It's an Incredible Flying Adventure unlike any other on the planet!

Fly the legendary MiG-29 or Russia's newest and most advanced high-altitude interceptor, the incredible MiG-31 Foxhound. Better yet, fly both!

Incredible Adventures is the only non-Russian company authorized to arrange MiG flights in Russia.

Through a special arrangement with the people who actually manufacture the MiGs (and have been for more than 70 years) Incredible Adventures makes it possible for you to break the sound barrier and more in a real military jet fighter.

I think BB was following your "A sexy headline always draws them in ..." idea when he started this thread JT. :)

Don't worry BB over mach 1 doesn't feel any different to other speeds except when you're down low.

Not sure of the model but there's a similar chunk of shit parked out front :)

It looks like a F-86 Sabre not sure what model you have to look at the difference between the zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :D

Yeah, they're very similar. Here's a Sabre. Wonder who copied who :D

post-1539-1263360861_thumb.jpg

It looks like a F-86 Sabre not sure what model you have to look at the difference between the zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :D

The Sabre (maybe a Super Sabre) is indeed a gate guardian, sitting at the airforce entrance immediately opposite the main terminal exit road. Been there for at least 15 years.

The Sabre (maybe a Super Sabre) is indeed a gate guardian, sitting at the airforce entrance immediately opposite the main terminal exit road. Been there for at least 15 years.

The Gate Guardian is an F86 Sabre which is entirely different to an F100 Super Sabre.

Yeah, they're very similar. Here's a Sabre. Wonder who copied who :)

They both copied the basic design of a German Jet fightr that was designed around the time WW2 ended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Ta_183

Virtually all the German aircraft designers and scientists ended up in the U.S at the end of WW2. That's why U.S. aircraft design made such rapid forward progress during the 50's/60's. The F86 Sabre used a lot of input from the German 'Komet' design. Former German 'V1' and 'V2' Flying Bomb and Rocket scientists were also heavily involved in progressing U.S. space exploration.

The old F86 Sabre Gate Guard has been at the Air Force entrance since I started working at Chiang Mai Airport in 1983. It's not at the Museum I was referring to. The museum is located within the airport towards to Suthep Road end.

They have some interesting old aircraft at the Museum, however, I would be very surprised to see a Faggot there, but you never know.

They have some interesting old aircraft at the Museum, however, I would be very surprised to see a Faggot there, but you never know.

Looking at Wikipedia's page on the MIG15 it mentions 'Many MiG-15s are on display through the world. In addition, they are becoming increasingly common as private sport planes and warbirds'

Also from the large amount of places it saw operations in are Cambodia & Vietnam, so I'm not sure it would be that suprising, saying that I thought the Museum [never been there] was for aicraft that have been used by the Thai Airforce.

Sorry for interrupting, but I think this might be the thread I could ask for information about an old airplane

in the middle of nowhere not far from Chiang Rai.

The only thing I know so far is this:

HS-CHP Beech H-18 Trigear c/n BA-667 ex N906T

[to be flown to Philippines for demonstration by Beech & possible sale Mar-64; export CofA issued 4-Mar-64 on export to Philippines,

but presumably not used; ferry tank installed & ferry permit applied for by FloAir Inc 28-Aug-64; export CofA issued 28-Aug-64 on

export to Philippines; sold to Continental Air Services Inc 15-Nov-65; sold to Bo Larsson & Joseph A, Johnson (Reno, Nv.)11-Mar-77;

sold to Sunant Prasertsom t/a Sky of Siam (Bangkok) 22-Mar-77; canx 23-Mar-77]; R03-Jun-77 to Sunant & Co t/a Sky of Siam;

propeller hit ground on take-off in Phetchabun Province & substantially damaged 5-Nov-77; noted 1984 as "Sununt 9"; bt by Mr.Boonyong

Thiraworawong at auction, probably Mar-86; noted wfu by roadside north of Bangkok 1986 thro’ Aug-88 wearing ‘Yon Thai Tractor Co’ titles

in Sky of Siam livery

On internet I don't find a Beechcraft Super 18 with a nose wheel and not either with the same engines.

Do you think that the plane was new in 1964?

What is a 'ferry tank'?

What does 'noted wfu' by roadside north aso mean?

By the way: Before at the museum in Chiang Mai the engines were run once a week, do they still do so and when?

Sorry for asking all these questions, but it would be great to know more about this aircraft.

Another thing:

If I am informed right the airport of Bangkok is the oldest in Thailand (Siam), 1918?

The second airport is upposed to be Chiang Rai (1920?) and the third Chiang Mai (1921).

What I understand is that the son of the gouvernor of Chiang Rai studied in Paris and showed his father

some pictures of an airplane when he came back to Chiang Rai.

Together with some friends this gentleman bought an airplane and made a kind of airport, probably at the same place

where now the old airport is (the Japanese moved it north east of the Doi Kao Quai for strategical reasons, but after the

war the Americans made the 1750 meter strip were it is now).

Could the first plane here been a French one?

Thanks for thinking about it and even more for an answer 555!

Limbo :)

post-6305-1263480593_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1263480606_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1263480649_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1263480661_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1263480626_thumb.jpg

mig.bmp

mig.bmp

mijay.bmp

Yeah, they're very similar. Here's a Sabre. Wonder who copied who :D

Answer: They both copied the Germans... Both the Rooskies and the Allies relied heavily on research and designs brought by captured German engineers and scientists after the fall of Hitlers Reich..