Evolution Mail

Richb2004v2

Should I use evolution mail?

I know it's basically like MS Outlook which I've never had cause to use other than occasionally at work. I only use a simple Yahoo mail account so wonder if there would be any advantage for me in using it. I like trying new things but without good reason is probably a waste of time.

I think like me you are dual booting and the windoze version of Evolution is very buggy. so if you want one email client for both systems stay awayf from it.

I originally tried it for their virtual folders which is basically a saved search function that can automatically group emails by sender or subject or whatever your search criteria is but without having to make multiple copies of each email.

However now I use Thunderbird with my profile set up to be common to both my windoze and Ubuntu systems and it works great AND also has the virtual folder option which I find very useful.

I have not changed to Thunderbird 3 yet though as the Lightening add on which is essential in an office environment when sharing calenders and appointments with colleagues using M$ Lookout is not quite ready for version 3.

I am told the beta works well though but as Thunderbird 2 is stable and does all I want, I see no reason to change yet

I am still looking for an equivalent to Birdie sync for Linux that will let me sync my windoze mobile email with Thunderbird. I have tried a few possibilities but none of them are as easy to use.

Edited by thaimite

I have used Evolution in the past but it get slow when you have large amount of emails.

There has been bugs but the community has done a good job.

The windows version seem a little pointless to me... I have used it long time ago, but as mentioned earlier it was a bug nest.

I use K-mail (part of KDE4) and I like it massively...

Basically I don't like web based emails systems because I want to have all my emails in my own computer. I don't always have internet access and I don't want my email to be on a server outside my control for longer time than necessary.

I get all my emails into one laptop and one desktop computer and I never delete any mails just move them. That way I have them is two places in case anything happens.

Martin

Evolution mail works very well even with the 2000 odd mails (mostly old) in the main directory (down to the pc's processor I guess and memory if it is slow). The spam filter is quick to learn which is great. I prefer it over a web based mail system any day of the week.

Evolution mail works very well even with the 2000 odd mails (mostly old) in the main directory (down to the pc's processor I guess and memory if it is slow). The spam filter is quick to learn which is great. I prefer it over a web based mail system any day of the week.

I guess I have about 120 000 mail in total and about 34 661 email in one directory. K-mail can handle this without any delay at all, but Evolution has problem far earlier...

Martin

Hi.

I personally have not used Evolution but Thunderbird and can only recommend it. Works with my provider e-mail (True), G-Mail and Hotmail like a charm, no issues or delays with huge mailboxes (talking about well over 50,000 saved mails) and multiple accounts (3 Hotmail, 2 G-Mail, 1 ISP).

Best regards.....

Thanh

• 1 month later...
Hi.

I personally have not used Evolution but Thunderbird and can only recommend it. Works with my provider e-mail (True), G-Mail and Hotmail like a charm, no issues or delays with huge mailboxes (talking about well over 50,000 saved mails) and multiple accounts (3 Hotmail, 2 G-Mail, 1 ISP).

Best regards.....

Thanh

So with these services do I have to open an actual new email account and will it then take the mail from my other web based services eg yahoo? Will I only be able to access this on a machine with iether Evolution or Thunderbird installed?

I also have an initial problem as soon as it asks questions about my server. It asks if I am using POP or something. I have no idea what this means so I'm stuck straight away.