"nothing In This World Is Free, Lad"

KevinHunt

That was a quote from me Dad, and as some of you may be aware, I've pretty much gone along with that :D . However.......... in order to keep up with the times in this new decade I'm pleased to announce that we now have free WiFi for customers at the Red Lion. And not only is it free, it is fast - AIS 3G, no less.

(Technically, me Dad's old adage is still true, because you are expected to order something - even if it's only a bottle of water). :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope the wifi is faster than the service. My BLT took over a 45 minutes to arrive, despite there were less than 10 people in the restaurant, and it arrived cold.

The coffee tasted awful, served without milk/creamer, which i had to ask for... The Old Thai lady who appeared to be running the show constantly complained about how busy she was (10 customers in the bar - of which they had all already been served!!!) and then proceeded to mutter some pretty insulting Thai swear words when i reminded her i was still waiting for my sandwich 45 minutes after ordering it. I guess she didn't realize i speak pretty good Thai :)

This was just after Christmas 2009, and to be frank, i've had better service and better food at the McDonalds across the street.

Maybe next time i will choose a different venue for my mid-day breakfast!

Hope the wifi is faster than the service. My BLT took over a 45 minutes to arrive, despite there were less than 10 people in the restaurant, and it arrived cold.

The coffee tasted awful, served without milk/creamer, which i had to ask for... The Old Thai lady who appeared to be running the show constantly complained about how busy she was (10 customers in the bar - of which they had all already been served!!!) and then proceeded to mutter some pretty insulting Thai swear words when i reminded her i was still waiting for my sandwich 45 minutes after ordering it. I guess she didn't realize i speak pretty good Thai :)

This was just after Christmas 2009, and to be frank, i've had better service and better food at the McDonalds across the street.

Mr Moderator, the OP a sponsor... You can't possibly have a bad experience at a venue that pays for advertising with TV. You must of made a mistake, right ?

Mr Moderator, the OP a sponsor... You can't possibly have a bad experience at a venue that pays for advertising with TV. You must of made a mistake, right ?

Moderators are entitled to take off their mod hat and post opinions as well so long as they don't moderate a thread. Hope that makes that clear and we don't need to bring out that old chestnut again, thanks.

(note, that is a comment from me, moderating this thread, if there is any confusion as to my point)

I doesn't bother me that customers complain. I've spoken with the staff and tried to establish what happened and why, and I will try to ensure it doesn't happen again. I have a form on every table for people to leave their comments and the first page of the menu says "If you have a problem with any aspect of our service please don't hesitate to inform us."

I would rather these incidents didn't occur, but if they do I'd like to know about it in order to rectify the problem.

Edited by KevinHunt

Well I have the impression that Kevin is the type of guy that would be open to candid comments. Im sure that coming from Wolfie makes it all the more a genuine and honest opinion of a customers experience at that time. If I was Kevin I would view it as constructive criticism and take steps to ensure that its not something that is happening to customers on a regular basis.

edit: Kevin beat my reply by a whisker...and i was right. Imo thats what you call a good business owner!

Edited by eek

Moderators are entitled to take off their mod hat and post opinions as well so long as they don't moderate a thread. Hope that makes that clear and we don't need to bring out that old chestnut again, thanks.

(note, that is a comment from me, moderating this thread, if there is any confusion as to my point)

I like chestnuts

I doesn't bother me that customers complain. I've spoken with the staff and tried to establish what happened and why, and I will try to ensure it doesn't happen again. I have a form on every table for people to leave their comments and the first page of the menu says "If you have a problem with any aspect of our service please don't hesitate to inform us."

I would rather these incidents didn't occur, but if they do I'd like to know about it in order to rectify the problem.

Oooh id forgotten about those feedback forms, yes an excellent idea... my only suggestion there would be to make sure pens/pencils are available for people to fill them out... we didnt have any on our table and i didnt want to annoy the Staff further by asking for something else :)

But thanks Kevin, its refreshing to know that feedback, even negative, is taken well and will be used to improve service in the future!

Oooh id forgotten about those feedback forms, yes an excellent idea... my only suggestion there would be to make sure pens/pencils are available for people to fill them out... we didnt have any on our table and i didnt want to annoy the Staff further by asking for something else :D

Good idea. Pens on every table, as soon as I'm back from tennis. :)

Oooh id forgotten about those feedback forms, yes an excellent idea... my only suggestion there would be to make sure pens/pencils are available for people to fill them out... we didnt have any on our table and i didnt want to annoy the Staff further by asking for something else :D

Good idea. Pens on every table, as soon as I'm back from tennis. :)

woohooo, free pens and internet access :D

Oooh id forgotten about those feedback forms, yes an excellent idea... my only suggestion there would be to make sure pens/pencils are available for people to fill them out... we didnt have any on our table and i didnt want to annoy the Staff further by asking for something else :)

ouch,talk about kicking a man when he's down.

But thanks Kevin, its refreshing to know that feedback, even negative, is taken well and will be used to improve service in the future!

So you do admit that you had annoyed the staff.? I dont think asking to borrow a pencil would have cause any more problems, the best thing to do here is chill out my pen rai.

Interesting for Wolfie to post a real synopsis of his experience and I highly appreciate people that have the balls to tell it as it really is

It brings to mind the other day a friend said hey why don't you try out my friends restaurant?

Thai Italian

He was raving on and on about it

So my son and I decided to give it a try

Horrible experience to say the least

Open air, right on a busy street. dirty, dusty

Run down furniture and sticky table cloths

Flies everywhere

The menu prices were higher than Scoozies new restaurant in the Mall, even though it is far away from the city of Bangkok

The food unrealistically poor quality

My first thought was another farang getting married and wanting to stay, no skills, nothing except to open a restaurant

To not have an ounce of pride in your own business to me is the sorriest thing an expat can do in Thailand

When I ran into my friend a couple days later, he asked how was the restaurant?

My 10 year old son piped in, it was horrible, the worst and we will never go back before I had a chance to open my mouth

My only advice is to have some pride in your own business (Before money) and if you have Thai employees and they are behaving this way, don't expect them to have the pride for you

Pride is your own responsibility

I am wondering how many people feel exactly as I do right now that I would never visit this establishment after reading this?

If the owner let it get to this point, then shame on him

I can image if there were not more people like Wolfie telling things the way they really are, even more customers would have a bad experience

I suspect this place has always run this way and just like 95% of the other businesses, we as customers have to have a bad experience to learn ourselves

These same business owners that run these businesses would never put up for this if they were spending their own money in another business

Don't expect us to either

Customer service and Pride should be # 1

Good idea. Pens on every table, as soon as I'm back from tennis. :D

Please chain these pens like in the Banks so that folks do not take them by accident :D

One other point Kevin, you should have a P.O. Box like for your customers to put them in which you only have the key to, if your customers leaves their comments on the table, they could and/or get lost :)

This is just too good to be true.

Free wifi AND free water?

I'll be there with my camera at first opportunity.

(Technically, me Dad's old adage is still true, because you are expected to order something - even if it's only a bottle of water).

I think you have to order the bottled water, so not free :D

Sawadee :D

what the f.... are you all worriing about, the owner tells you WIFI is free,pencil and pens are fee, forms are free. so??????????????????????

But I know for expats and foreigners who stay here longtime there is nothig else to do than

complain,

No wonder Thai people do not like us, nexttime someonecom[plains about behviour of Thai People I will send them to this topic.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff boring people.

what the f.... are you all worriing about, the owner tells you WIFI is free,pencil and pens are fee, forms are free. so??????????????????????

But I know for expats and foreigners who stay here longtime there is nothig else to do than

complain,

No wonder Thai people do not like us, nexttime someonecom[plains about behviour of Thai People I will send them to this topic.

I`m with you.

The guy is kindly letting us know about his free services and he gets attacked for it.

He is not breaking forum rules, so what`s the problem?

Some of you should get a life.

Nice one Kev, I know my son and daughter and their friends will be interested, they never dine anywhere these days unless it`s got Wifi.

It should attract some of the younger folks, good luck to you and thanks for the information.

Edited by BigWheelMan

complain,

I`m with you.

The guy is kindly letting us know about his free services and he gets attacked for it.

He is not breaking forum rules, so what`s the problem?

Some of you should get a life.

Nice one Kev, I know my son and daughter and their friends will be interested, they never dine anywhere these days unless it`s got Wifi.

It should attract some of the younger folks, good luck to you and thanks for the information.

I was thinking the same, give the guy a break, he's spent some money to improve his business and make the a bar a wifi area, which no doubt people will use and all he's had is abuse. Thanks for the update Kevin and good luck with it.

Edited by thaimiller