Experiences With Sales Engineer

I like to expand my business, therefore I think to hire a Thai sales engineer. I checked already a lot here in the forum about that and came to the conclusion it would be better to hire a woman instead a man. The sales activity should be in the electric and car industry field.

I am not sure about the salary (how much for a good english speaking sales) and the expenses (i.e. phone, car or taxi, bonus). My company is approx. 150km northeast of BKK, as the sales job will be mostly in BKK and Rayong area the sales should run the job from a small "home office" is something like that common in Thailand? Any Idea??

Who has experience with this? Does anybody know where I can find suitable candidates?

I would be grateful for any information.

Cheers,

Charly

I had a sales girl, but she was not an engineer, just a university degree in sales. I paid her 10,000 baht per month and reimbursed her for fuel. She had her own car. She worked out of our office, but was going to Rayong about 3 times a week. She received a commission on sales 5%. Dont know if anyone has sales people working out of their house. It's difficult to find a good worker.

Even this girl when she started making money and had a little nest egg disappeared for about 2 months, no phone call nothing. Then one day she just shows up at the office again. I did not want to hire her back, but my Thai partner agreed because she did do good on sales. Good luck!!

thanks for the post, I think it will be a challange but I have no other choice as I can't do the sales for myself.

Where did you find her, did you made an advertisement at the university, Internet or newspaper? How many sales applied for the job and how many interviews did you do until you employed her?

I know this are many questions again, but I think I am not the only one who is looking for staff, maybe some other members can share their experience.

Cheers,

Charly

I'm not sure how much the commission was in the case Eric refers to, but my experience is that if any of your quality sales staff isn't taking home at least 40,000 - 50,000 per month they aren't going to stick around for very long. There are enough jobs out there that will pay them that and more. Everybody wants good sales people.

Don't be picky about someone who knows the electronics industry. A good sales person can pick up enough to sell a product in a very short time. Their personality is much more important than experience.

Most important don't be stingy if you find someone capable. Be realistic in your expectations and budget enough to keep them happy. Our sales staff were also reimbursed 8 baht/km when using their personal vehicle for transportation. The cost of driving is substantially more than just fuel.

Our most successful sales candidates have been stolen from other companies when they come to sell us something. Beyond that, friends and acquaintances of existing staff provide the next most suitable candidates. Way down on the list is advertising in the paper or on electronic job sites. You need to concentrate on building your personal network. Start going to industry meet and greets, etc. Finding people is just like finding sales leads. It is done one person at a time.

I understand that a higher salary makes your sales more happy and I don't mind if the orders are good, therefore I intend to make a progressive bonus, little sales --> little bonus, high sales --> high bonus, perhaps with 3 or 4 steps. Of course it will need some time to roll on, but after 3 month there should be an improvement, at least that's my idea. Regarding the car use or public transportation, there has to be a fair compensation, I understand that right now 8 Baht/km for car use is common, I can go along with that.

As I am not able to do the sales for myself, because I don't speak Thai, it is very difficult to contact customers and get the needed contacts in order to find a sales which I be able to poach from another company. Still the question, where can I find the suitable candidate?

Thanks for the information that I do not need to concentrate to much about the electronic industry, my thought was with a good understanding of the product the sales will be better as well. Anyway, I guess you are right, with a professional, charismatic apearance and the right attitude it should be more then half way down already. Finally find the companies which use the parts and go for it.

This was a good and important piece of information, thanks again,

Cheers,

Charly