Losing Touch With Your Home Country's Obsessions

Jingthing

I just realized I don't have a clue who is playing in the American football playoffs. And I don't care to know. I also don't care which teams end up in the Superbull, or which team will win the holy grail rings.

It feels good. Is this normal?

Of course with me it may be genetic. I was a fanatic sports fan as a boy but my Dad was the opposite. People at work would ask him, Hey how 'bout those Skins (Redskins)? and he would reply, is that a baseball team? Shut em up every time.

Edited by Jingthing

I can understand you not having any interest in American football.

Real football the round ball is infinitely more entertaining,then again i find rugby also more entertaining! :D

Maybe you should run a poll on it,what with you being the pollster general? :)

superbull,holy grail rings???

Ever since I was a kid I'd get up real early of a Sunday morning in October (because Western Australia is two hours behind the east coast) to watch the Bathurst 500 which became the Bathurst 1000 touring car race on tv, and as I grew older and reached puberty I realised that sitting around all Summer watching the cricket on tv wasn't gonna go down too well with the ladies, so I limited it to just the Boxing Day Test Match and tried to find alternative means of entertainment to pass away those idle hours of the day when I'd rather be watching the One-Day match between Australia and the West Indies.

If I could name three things about my home country, it would be those two sporting events, the outback and forests when I'm there in the bush all alone with nothing but the birds and wallabies and feral cats the wind in the karri trees for company, and having a job would be the third one.

Other than that, there's nothing about Australia that keeps me awake at night with homesickness.

I think the point here is American sports in general......it's all hype and adverts and no wonder it's so easily forgotten on moving to another country. Now proper football, on the other hand (soccer to you Yanks) is a different proposition altogether. I watch the English Premier League every week (when it's not snowed off!), and have even started watching cricket again since it started appearing on Sophon cable.

For my entire childhood, the USA was obsessed with 3 boring team sports: baseball, basketball, and some brown ball with a point at each end. Later I realized those sports are only played in countries conquered by the U S Marines (Cuba, Nicaragua,Japan, Dom. Republic). I was a racing fanatic. My heroes have included Phil Hill, Kenny Roberts, Kevin Schwantz. But my heroes have more often been women than cowboys - Dorothy Day, Riboberta Menchú.

I think the point here is American sports in general......it's all hype and adverts and no wonder it's so easily forgotten on moving to another country. Now proper football, on the other hand (soccer to you Yanks) is a different proposition altogether. I watch the English Premier League every week (when it's not snowed off!), and have even started watching cricket again since it started appearing on Sophon cable.

No I was talking about sports from your home country, in general. Whichever the sports, whichever the home country.

Edited by Jingthing

True, Sophon Cable, etc. make it just about impossible to enjoy American sports in Thailand, so it is no surprise you don't follow them anymore. I keep abreast on the internet, and sometimes get to watch the Superbowl or an NBA championship game on someone's satellite. I suppose if you like going to bars between 4am-8am, you could catch some more games, so the time difference works against yanks as well.

True, Sophon Cable, etc. make it just about impossible to enjoy American sports in Thailand, so it is no surprise you don't follow them anymore. I keep abreast on the internet, and sometimes get to watch the Superbowl or an NBA championship game on someone's satellite. I suppose if you like going to bars between 4am-8am, you could catch some more games, so the time difference works against yanks as well.

Access isn't the problem. I get USA tv via slingbox. I REALLY am not interested. In fact, when I hear other Americans start to talk about this, I tune it out or try to get out of hearing distance.

You know in WW2 they would ask people who won the world series to detect spies. I would have a problem. (Don't tell me!)

Edited by Jingthing

I've got an Oakland As cap that I wear to the supermarket sometimes; an old mate who's a fan sent me it and still lets me know how they're doin' although I couldn't name a single player on their present line up...

once he described a regular season game with the Giants an' I said since when do individual AL and NL teams play each other during regular season???

a lot has changed in the past 25 years... :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior