Is There A Thai Word For Bon Appetit?

motoyen

i've never heard anyone say this but you can use: ขอให้เจริญอาหาร or kŏr hâi jà-rern aahăan. "may you have good food."

I would understand that as "May you have a good appetite."

ขอให้เจริญอาหาร is a direct translation of 'bon appetit', and though quite rare, is possible to use. At least, it's attested on the interwebs. I've never used it myself, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if you get quizzical looks.

I can't recall any Thai making any comment that is akin to "bon appetite", not a one over the past decades. But then again, in the rural areas when a friend visits, one doesn't ask "how are you?" rather one asks whether the visitor has eaten yet.

I can't recall any Thai making any comment that is akin to "bon appetite", not a one over the past decades. But then again, in the rural areas when a friend visits, one doesn't ask "how are you?" rather one asks whether the visitor has eaten yet.

I think that you are right, surely it is always assumed here and better left like that. เจริญอาหาร sounds like what a doctor might say in a report ขอให้เจริญอาหาร sounds like wishing good health.

First, thanks to anothertorres and rikker for the new knowledge. If I ever hear this used I won't be so puzzled. Second, in relation to the above comment, I have certainly heard people use ทานให้อร่อยนะครับ. When the host goes around tables at a large function, it is quite a common thing to say.

First, thanks to anothertorres and rikker for the new knowledge. If I ever hear this used I won't be so puzzled. Second, in relation to the above comment, I have certainly heard people use ทานให้อร่อยนะครับ. When the host goes around tables at a large function, it is quite a common thing to say.

When the host goes around at a large function and says this, people are eating already. "Bon appetite" is said before they start eating, and is the signal that the meal can now begin. I would translate it as "choen krup" or extended as "choen thaan krup", and sorry that I have no Thai letters on my keyboard.

First, thanks to anothertorres and rikker for the new knowledge. If I ever hear this used I won't be so puzzled.

That is likely to be in a medical context. My comment about sounding like a doctor was because it is in comments on health, แขงแรง สุขภาพดี เจริญอาหาร ฯลฯ and advertisements for medicine that you will most likely come across this word.

เจริญอาหาร "appetite" is used in a medical context, yes. But the phrase "ขอให้เจริญอาหาร" would be bizarre to be heard in a medical context, methinks.

Absolutely, let me know when you hear it said.

เจริญอาหาร "appetite" is used in a medical context, yes. But the phrase "ขอให้เจริญอาหาร" would be bizarre to be heard in a medical context, methinks.

Absolutely, let me know when you hear it said.

I'm imagining something like this: "Sir, your liver transplant went smoothly with no complications. Since we don't like to see things go to waste, we went ahead and turned your old liver into a delectable pâté, compliments of the hospital. Bon appetit!" ;P

here is the thai characters to denote--choen thaan krup <let's eat, let the feast begins>

เชิญ ครับ OR

เชิญ ทาน ครับ

<churn thaan krup>

now.... there are several t-sounds in thai character.... which should i use.... LOL

ท ฑ ธ ฒ....? LOL

When the host goes around at a large function and says this, people are eating already. "Bon appetite" is said before they start eating, and is the signal that the meal can now begin. I would translate it as "choen krup" or extended as "", and sorry that I have no Thai letters on my keyboard.

Edited by nakachalet

There seems to be a movie titled, "กินให้อิ่ม ชิมให้หมด". This seems to be an admonition to "eat your fill; eat everything up" or ". Will this suffice as a Thai equivalent of Bon Appetit? Or, perhaps more simply, "ทานให้อิ่มนะครับ".

Lexitron offers a definition of "เจริญอาหาร" as "บริโภคอาหารได้มาก"; that sounds good to me also. Have I ever heard this latter phrase on the hoof? No, I have not.

What do you think?

There seems to be a movie titled, "กินให้อิ่ม ชิมให้หมด". This seems to be an admonition to "eat your fill; eat everything up" or ". Will this suffice as a Thai equivalent of Bon Appetit? Or, perhaps more simply, "ทานให้อิ่มนะครับ".

Lexitron offers a definition of "เจริญอาหาร" as "บริโภคอาหารได้มาก"; that sounds good to me also. Have I ever heard this latter phrase on the hoof? No, I have not.

What do you think?

Since you asked.

This is a useful exchange; has improved my vocabulary a little and told me that in Thai there is no such thing except perhaps เชิญ

In my experience the expression 'bon appetit' is used by French people when they sit down to eat together, it is French culture. It can be translated as can 'Good morning', an equivalent can be manufactured in your own language, but if it were needed it would already exist.

It would seem that there is no such expression in English either, I think we all realized this soon after the first few posts.

• 3 weeks later...
here is the thai characters to denote--choen thaan krup <let's eat, let the feast begins>

เชิญ ครับ OR

เชิญ ทาน ครับ

<churn thaan krup>

now.... there are several t-sounds in thai character.... which should i use.... LOL

ท ฑ ธ ฒ....? LOL

When the host goes around at a large function and says this, people are eating already. "Bon appetite" is said before they start eating, and is the signal that the meal can now begin. I would translate it as "choen krup" or extended as "", and sorry that I have no Thai letters on my keyboard.

Thanks for typing it out in Thai.

And about your confusion about which "T" to use: I fully understand. I read fluently but my spelling s*cks.