Uses For Found Bag Of Soybeans.

Cuban

Soy Samosa.

This recipe was inspired by a stray bag of dried soybeans I found. After soaking them in water overnight they were simmered for an hour or so with a little salt and MSG, drained then mixed with left over fluffy rice. In a frying pan with a little oil cook some shredded cabbage leaf with a little garlic, some left over tomatoes, half an onion (past it's best) and coriander leaves all chopped: seasoned with white pepper and oyster sauce, then add the soy and rice. A simple flour and water pastry (touch of oil and salt) was rolled into 6-inch discs, cut in half then folded into triangular pockets. Each filled with a spoonful of the soy and rice mixture, the edge sealed with a damp finger. Semi deep-fried for a few minutes; I found a small hole in the body of the samosa allows the steam to escape while cooking, avoiding bloated pastry. Thumbs up from the BIL and his friends.

Soy Fritter.

The soybeans appeared after some building work on the kitchen area, another discovery was a winter melon that had been ignored on shelf for a month or so. After cutting into discs and removing the light green skin they were cut into blocks and simmered for about 45 minutes, then left to cool so I could remove the seeds by hand. Taking some of the soft flesh and mixing it with those cooked soy beans and rice, seasoning the mixture with oyster sauce, etc. Using a fork to produce a rough but uniform mush it needed to be stiffened up with some wheat flour, before reaching the right level of stickiness to be coated in breadcrumbs (wheat flour rubbed together with salt, finely chopped chillies, oyster sauce, vinegar and a little sugar). Shallow fry till golden.